ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: Capel has Recruiting Momentum heading into September

Putting people on ignore is lazy. It’s more fun to poke holes in the OP’s posts.
Have we established conclusively yet that this character is Steel aka “Meat” Curtain repackaged with a new, and even more infantile handle? It has to be. The style and overall tone are too uniquely similar.

Have we established conclusively yet that this character is Steel aka “Meat” Curtain repackaged with a new, and even more infantile handle? It has to be. The style and overall tone are too uniquely similar.

I mean, what are the odds of Pitt having 2 positive fans posting about basketball....

I don't think his posts are anything like what Steel used to post. Much more along the lines of what Doke used to post but the writing styles are still different.

Reactions: CougarClaws
I mean, what are the odds of Pitt having 2 positive fans posting about basketball....

I don't think his posts are anything like what Steel used to post. Much more along the lines of what Doke used to post but the writing styles are still different.

I don’t think it’s Steel or Doke.

I love Vader's posts. It gives us something to talk about and it is just nice to see college basketball posts any time of year. I don't get the venom directed to him and I really don't expect him to be right even 50% of the time. Take it for what it is.

As far as how I feel, I would end up being upset if we don't get Davis and Hugley. The rest are gravy.
Folks who have been on the board as long as we have have learned to take almost anything with a grain of salt.

This much must be said ... with every Vader post there is tons of conversation— and that’s always a good thing!

My feelings about Davis and Hugley are slightly different than yours. I’ll be a little bummed if we don’t get Davis but that one is still way up in the air from what I understand.

But I will almost troubled if we don’t get Hugley. It’s not that he’s the most elite player, but he’s a player who is almost perfectly aligned to come here.

Because Vader presents himself as this genius insider and is always quick to pat himself on the back for perceived correct guesses.

If he was honest and just admitted he was aggregating news, that would be different.

Who cares though? We’ve come a long way over the years so no offense. But again, who cares? You don’t have to be the defender Of truth on a free basketball message board.

I would much rather read this guys stuff no matter how manufactured it is over 98% of what is on here. Just my opinion

Folks who have been on the board as long as we have have learned to take almost anything with a grain of salt.

This much must be said ... with every Vader post there is tons of conversation— and that’s always a good thing!

My feelings about Davis and Hugley are slightly different than yours. I’ll be a little bummed if we don’t get Davis but that one is still way up in the air from what I understand.

But I will almost troubled if we don’t get Hugley. It’s not that he’s the most elite player, but he’s a player who is almost perfectly aligned to come here.

Well said

I agree with you that Hugley's not elite but he's exactly what we need a big body with some skill.

Miami vs Oakland in January? Hmmm. I need some time to think about it. Seriously folks. Don Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Don Shula...somebody made that a cool destination. Certainly wasn't the weather.

Who cares though? We’ve come a long way over the years so no offense. But again, who cares? You don’t have to be the defender Of truth on a free basketball message board.

I would much rather read this guys stuff no matter how manufactured it is over 98% of what is on here. Just my opinion
Agree. I just read the stats and details of players, which is useful, and largely ignore the predictions of all the guys we are supposed to get.

Color me as someone who isn’t particularly concerned with the Hugley/Miami CB. It’s just one prediction, and has all the smell of a situation where the out-of-market writer sees that Hugley only has one official publicly set up (to Miami) and throws a CB on it.

It isn’t really even “public” knowledge that he’s visited Pitt as much as he has, including the visit this month. If it were Evans, Slater, Daniels, or one of the other national guys I’d be more concerned; but Evans still has his locked on Pitt.

Reactions: singregardless
Because Vader presents himself as this genius insider and is always quick to pat himself on the back for perceived correct guesses.

If he was honest and just admitted he was aggregating news, that would be different.
There’s a very simple solution just don't read any of his posts . I find his summations about recruiting the most comprehensive on this board and I don’t care where he obtains his info !

Gordon is a 2 guard he doesn’t need to rebound. Maybe that will be the rationalization for not taking him, but after doing some digging I don’t think He’s coming to Pitt and I don’t think they land bridges or Puff either. So 0-3 in that would not be good

Have you watched Pitt play recently? EVERYONE needs to rebound. Plus, there is no such thing as a "2" in high level basketball anymore. You are a PG, a wing or a big, Gordon is a 6'6 wing, he needs to be able to rebound. All that said, I agree with you, he isn't coming to Pitt. I also think Capel is okay with that.

Going 0-3 with those guys would not be good, but I'd rather go 2-2 with Timberlake and Davis and miss out on all 3 of those guy than the other way around. I think if Pitt gets Davis, Timberlake and Hughley, nobody will be talking about missing out on those other 3.

Have you watched Pitt play recently? EVERYONE needs to rebound. Plus, there is no such thing as a "2" in high level basketball anymore. You are a PG, a wing or a big, Gordon is a 6'6 wing, he needs to be able to rebound. All that said, I agree with you, he isn't coming to Pitt. I also think Capel is okay with that.

Going 0-3 with those guys would not be good, but I'd rather go 2-2 with Timberlake and Davis and miss out on all 3 of those guy than the other way around. I think if Pitt gets Davis, Timberlake and Hughley, nobody will be talking about missing out on those other 3.
Nobody is recruiting wing players based on their rebounding prowess. Anything you get out of them in that regard is gravy. Wings have to be able to score and shoot. Rebounding from the backcourt and wings at the college level depends more on team philosophy than individual rebounding ability. You can’t look at a high scoring high school wing’s rebounding average and judge him a poor rebounder, when in all likelihood he’s not being asked to rebound much. That can change in college, especially if Capel is trying to build his team the way Beilein built his Michigan team where there’s typically only one big on the floor at any given time, if any. Everyone rebounds including guys who never had to do it before.

Your last paragraph-landing Timberlake and Davis-seems far fetched to me. Not quite a pipe dream, but close. Getting either one of them would be a huge coup for this program. Both would be too good to be true-and there’s a saying about things that seem too good to be true.

Posters every year get caught up in thinking we’ve got a great chance at a player everyone else in the country wants because we are recruiting him really hard. It’s hard to believe after watching this process play out every year for years there are still posters on his board who don’t seem to understand that’s not how it works. A bunch of top programs with a lot to offer are working every bit as hard on those rop,players. There is huge competition for these players and the recruiting playing field is far from level. Without playing the money game, a program in Pitt’s position will need a major leap of faith from any top 50 type to get them here.

Last edited:
Nobody is recruiting wing players based on their rebounding prowess. Anything you get out of them in that regard is gravy. Wings have to be able to score and shoot. Rebounding from the backcourt and wings at the college level depends more on team philosophy than individual rebounding ability. You can’t look at a high scoring high school wing’s rebounding average and judge him a poor rebounder, when in all likelihood he’s not being asked to rebound much. That can change in college, especially if Capel is trying to build his team the way Beilein built his Michigan team where there’s typically only one big on the floor at any given time, if any. Everyone rebounds including guys who never had to do it before.

Your last paragraph-landing Timberlake and Davis-seems far fetched to me. Not quite a pipe dream, but close. Getting either one of them would be a huge coup for this program. Both would be too good to be true-and there’s a saying about things that seem too good to be true.

Posters every year get caught up in thinking we’ve got a great chance at a player everyone else in the country wants because we are recruiting him really hard. It’s hard to believe after watching this process okay out every year for years there are still posters on his board who don’t seem to understand that’s not how it works. A bunch of top programs with a lot to offer are working every bit as hard on those rop,players. There is huge competition for these players and the recruiting playing field is far from level. Without playing the money game, a program in Pitt’s position will need a major leap of faith from any top 50 type to get them here.

I do agree with you on somethings but that statement of if it sounds too good to be true well there's another saying and it's If You Can Dream It and believe it you can achieve it. I say this because you said you have to have faith and I think JC has faith in what he's doing and how he wants to build a program so even though he may not get all the ones that were talking about I do think this year he will get at least two of these guys if not more but two will be a great accomplishment.

Reactions: mr_automatic310

I wonder how many people actually watched Virginia and Texas Tech play in the NCAA Tournament this year? A few posters on this forum were very sour on both teams entering the tournament because they were built on "defense".

How quickly some forget that Virginia won the National Title and Texas Tech was blowing Tom Izzo and Michigan State right out of the gym and building in the 2nd half of the Final 4 with defense. Texas Tech's defense put a choke collar on Izzo and the entire Michigan St basketball team.

Culver was a 6'6 G / W that averaged 6.8 rebounds per game in the NCAA Tournament. Texas Tech played in the Elite 8 and National Title game in back to back years with Culver. Texas Tech's defense was ranked 4th and 1st in the country the last 2 years in defensive efficiency.

Culver could not shoot the basketball. He shot 24% from 3 in conference play and 29% from 3 in the NCAA Tournament, he was a worse shooter than both Xavier Johnson and Trey Mcgowens from 3 this year.

Culver shot 31% for the entire NCAA Tournament in all 6 games combined he played in. He couldn't shoot at all. He dominated on the glass and on defense and got his points by volume shooting only. Culver straight up destroyed and manhandled teams on the glass and on defense. He was the top rebounding player for Texas Tech for the entire season at 6.4 boards per game as a guard / wing.

Ive said it at least twice in the past recently that Pitt's defense as a "team unit" will dictate how many wins Pitt wins this year. Pitt's defense is going to vault "up" this year in defensive efficiency in the National Rankings because of the added athletic ability and wingspan at the forward spots. The closer Pitt gets its defense to the National Top 25 in efficiency , the closer Pitt is getting to 20 wins this season.

Pitt is not going to take 3 players in the 2020 class that can't rebound, refuse to rebound, or do not know how to rebound. Dennis Rodman was a 6'7 forward that averaged 13.1 rebounds per game in the NBA. Rodman was a 5X NBA Champion, a 2X NBA defensive player of the year, and a 7X rebound champion in the NBA as a 6'7 220lb forward. Rodman owns the 7 best overall efficiency rebound percentage efficiency rates by season in the entire NBA going all the way back to 1970. Rodman didn't get drafted until the 2nd round. Every NBA team that passed on him in the first should talk quietly about the value of defense and rebounding from players that are undersized but have the will and desire to dominate on defense and rebounding.

There is a reason Pitt wants Timberlake badly and why he is at the top of the big board with Davis over every other player on the board.

I love Vader's posts. It gives us something to talk about and it is just nice to see college basketball posts any time of year. I don't get the venom directed to him and I really don't expect him to be right even 50% of the time. Take it for what it is.

As far as how I feel, I would end up being upset if we don't get Davis and Hugley. The rest are gravy.

Agree. Lots of names and information consolidated in one place. That's something I like. As far as who might go where or who leads for who, we can all draw our own conclusions. None of us has any influence or impact on that, anyways. We'll all find out when the players commit and sign.

I agree with you that Hugley's not elite but he's exactly what we need a big body with some skill.
I’d argue a guy that big with those kind of skills is absolutely elite - anyone remember Robert “Tractor” Traylor of Michigan fame? May he RIP - H2P!

There’s definitely an art to being a great rebounder , but thinking a 16 or 17 year old kid with size , talent and heart can’t be taught to be an effective rebounder with proper instruction is a little harsh . Add to it maturing physically and a college fitness regime I’m sure Gordon would be effective player for Pitt .

I’d argue a guy that big with those kind of skills is absolutely elite - anyone remember Robert “Tractor” Traylor of Michigan fame? May he RIP - H2P!

I think he may become elite but he's ranking and he's coach saying that he's still growing as a offensive player but I do think he will get there! With that being said I think we agree on that we would still love to have him

Reactions: jctrack
In fairness, Traylor was a McDonalds AA, national top 10 player who convicted Michigan hoops bagman Ed Martin paid in excess of 100k to get to Michigan.

I don’t think he’s a good comparison to Hugley from a skill standpoint.

In fairness, Traylor was a McDonalds AA, national top 10 player who convicted Michigan hoops bagman Ed Martin paid in excess of 100k to get to Michigan.

I don’t think he’s a good comparison to Hugley from a skill standpoint.
He was also bigger and more skilled.

Yes Traylor was more skilled but with one more year left in school Hugley could be just as skilled as him by the time he gets to his college
That would be quite a leap. Robert Traylor was a really, really good player and he was also quite mobile, while being close to 300 pounds.

I like Hugley but at this stage, he’s not close to a Traylor and it’s highly unlikely he would get there as a frosh.

But let’s worry first about him actually becoming a Panther first.

That would be quite a leap. Robert Traylor was a really, really good player and he was also quite mobile, while being close to 300 pounds.

I like Hugley but at this stage, he’s not close to a Traylor and it’s highly unlikely he would get there.

But let’s worry first about him actually become a Panther.

Yes he was really good especially by the end of his junior year when he left. He was good as a freshman but he became a monster by the end of the junior year so I'm just saying Hugley probably will be at Traylor's freshman level or a little bit low by the time he becomes a freshman. Either way like you said I hope he chooses Pitt.

Last edited:
Yes he was really good especially by the end of his junior year when he left. He was good as a freshman but he became a monster by the end of the junior year so I'm just saying Hugley probably will be at Traylor's freshman level or a little bit low by the time he becomes a freshman. Either way like you said I hope he chooses Pitt.
Traylor was really good coming into college — at a level quite above where Hugley will be when he gets to college. I like Hughly and I really want him to come to Pitt. But there was a reason Traylor was a top 20 recruit and Hugley will be a top 100 recruit.

DT I am not talking about his ranking I watched him as a freshman I watched his whole career I was a Michigan fan when he played there and he was good and a bully but he wasn't extraordinary to me as a Freshman. From what they're saying Hugley has extended his range out to the three and he also plays bully ball because of his body type so if that's true and I'm not saying it is but if it is true IMHO he can be a similar Talent his freshman year. That's all I'm saying!!

DT I am not talking about his ranking I watched him as a freshman I watched his whole career I was a Michigan fan when he played there and he was good and a bully but he wasn't extraordinary to me as a Freshman. From what they're saying Hugley has extended his range out to the three and he also plays bully ball because of his body type so if that's true and I'm not saying it is but if it is true IMHO he can be a similar Talent his freshman year. That's all I'm saying!!
Not trying to quibble ... I just hope folks have reasonable expectations of Hugley if he does pick us. He’s the kind of recruit can be really good in time, but he’s most likely not going to make a huge impact as a freshman.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
He did shoot 5/5 from 3 in a game this year.
Not sure how he did all season.
Not that this information is helpful either.

Reactions: Tonyt66

I like Hugley but at this stage, he’s not close to a Traylor and it’s highly unlikely he would get there as a frosh.

But let’s worry first about him actually becoming a Panther first.
Remember Keith "Tiny" Gallon was a 5 star recruit for Capel at Oklahoma and supposed to be another Tractor Traylor, but he never panned out accordingly.

RJ Davis and Earl Timberlake are the top 2 players on the entire board regardless of position. Do not over think this regardless of a need for a center. They are the 2 best players we are recruiting in the entire 2020 class. I said previously Im not making an A vs B list, but I will say who the Top 2 targets are and who the 2 best players overall we are targeting.

RJ Davis just visited Pitt with his entire family. Jeff Capel is doing a presentation at Stepinac high school September 20th and will meet again with RJ Davis and 5 star AJ Griffin. The Top 3 schools in order to land RJ Davis are Pitt, Marquette followed by Georgetown in that exact order as of today. Roy Williams is making a major run at Davis. North Carolina will, I repeat, will, take Caleb Love and RJ Davis together, Roy Williams likes Davis that much.

Love is a 5 star point guard currently. Love has UNC in his Top 3 and Ive heard from 3 different sources UNC, Louisville, and Kansas all think they lead for Love. UCLA is hanging around too in that top 5 for Davis. Jeff Capel has pushed the chips in with Davis and for reason, he will be an absolute star at the college level.

North Carolina sits in prime position for Jaden Springer and Zaire Williams. Their staff feels they land both right now. Im not going to be like some people and say North Carolina leads for 20 players in 2020 like the same people say they do every year. But UNC is closing in on these 2 from a source connected directly into the UNC program. Duke is the darkhorse for Williams. These 2 players going to UNC possibly / probably impacts the decision of Timberlake and Puff. A lot More so Puff with UNC.

Pitt is on the very short list of Earl Timberlake, much shorter than his final 7. Timberlake officially visits Pitt at the end of August as I said that he would, his 3rd visit to Pitt. Timberlake has already visited South Carolina and Providence. Timberlake plans to commit early as of now

RJ Davis shot 46.9% from 3 point range at all 3 sessions combined from the EYBL. He was the 2nd best 3 point shooter all spring and summer by 3 point percentage in the entire country and one of the top scorers all summer long at over 20ppg. Davis had an offensive spring and summer rating of 128, 7th highest in the entire country regardless of class.

Earl Timberlake averaged 17.3 points per game and 9.6 boards per game this summer. Timberlake is the best rebounding wing in the entire country and one of the top defensive players regardless of class. Timberlake finished 6th overall in rebounding regardless of position all spring and summer. Timberlake’s DR rebound percentage was 33%, 2nd highest of any player regardless of class all summer. Both of them were completely dominant. Both of them are Pitts top 2 targets regardless of position. Don't overthink it.

Puff Johnson’s top 4 is still the same as what I said months ago. Only difference is he is unlikely to go to North Carolina making it a Top 3. Pitt is right there still hanging around with Arizona and Notre Dame. I do agree Puff is closer to the bottom of the Top 100 right now as opposed to a Top 50 player. He got prelim hype from his brother but didn’t showcase it enough in my opinion. Puff averaged 4 boards per game this summer and that needs improvement. Puff is high on Pitt's board and Pitt has made up significant ground with Puff.

Pitt is not going to take 4 or 5 wings in 2020 regardless of how many top 5s or 7s on these school lists Pitt makes. Jalen Bridges is a wing as is Gordon. Bridges averaged 2.9 rebounds this spring and summer. Bridges is a good developing scorer and solid defensive player, but he cannot rebound and he would have gotten killed in the acc rebounding next year at the 4 and he currently isn’t close to being Coulibaly or Champagnie rebounding the basketball.

Again, Bridges can score and play defense, but he cant rebound well. Bridges has zero impact on Noah Collier who is a 4. Timberlake (does) and maybe Puff does have an impact on Bridges. I still am saying Pitt is a player for Jalen Bridges.

Elijah Taylor has been very sneaky good this summer averaging 12ppg and 7.3rpg for Team Final, the same team as Noah Collier. Taylor will be making an official visit to Pitt soon, I don't know the date yet. Taylor’s offensive rebound percentage was 17.9%, 3rd highest in the country at EYBL. Taylor also had an eFG% of 65.2%, 10th highest in the entire country. Intel is the three teams to beat are Notre Dame, Pitt, and Florida in that current order. Notre Dame is the biggest threat and the small team to beat. Pitt has a good chance and can make up ground when he visits. He has the very look of Bonzie Colson. I said previously he should be in the National Top 100. He is arguably much better. Both his high school and aau coaches are pushing the ACC schools. With education being a factor, Notre Dame will be tough to beat in the end. Taylor has already visited VCU and SH.

DJ Gordon announced he has things on hold for a commitment which I knew previously. So did Posh Alexander when rumors floated he was St. Johns bound after bogus rumors floated he was a SH lock. Recent games at Rucker have Posh getting the top of his head near the rim again showcasing that elite athleticism Ive been talking about since December. He is getting back into much better shape now and I expect interest to pick up again with his Top 5 and others starting to come in again outside his top 5 after recovering from the broken arm. Posh wants to see how things play out with certain teams including Pitt and Illinois. He has already visited SH and St. Johns.

Gordon, much like Bridges, cant rebound the basketball well. Pitt is not going to load the team up with a bunch of players playing the same position that cant rebound well when Pitt already has a rebounding problem.

Which takes me back to point 1, the top 2 targets on the board are Davis and Timberlake. Pitt can take 1 of Puff / Bridges / Gordon at most. 2 would be reaching with their skill sets. There is zero chance Pitt is taking all 3. Pitt already landed an elite outside shooter with Horton who is an average rebounding guard. I think Gordon is fairly rated being between 100-150 right now.

I noted a month or so ago Illinois was in solid position because of Oliver Antigua with Andre Curbelo. It looks like Andrew Slater recently got the same intel as me on his twitter feed. Only detail Slater left out on his twitter, Antigua was in Greece watching Curbelo at the Fiba World Cup earlier this summer. Myles Tate was supposed to visit Pitt in September. Tate wanted to be a 1a priority recruit and went to Butler because RJ Davis is the Top PG on Pitt’s board. Some players wait for certain schools, others don’t wait and want to be the top target. Davis, like Tate, wants to be recruited as the top target which is a big problem for North Carolina with Love. Its why Georgetown lost ground with him over the summer. Georgetown is still in contention for Davis. Tate wasn't waiting and went to Butler.

Hugley and Bridges are both visiting Miami at the same time. Timberlake is supposed to visit Miami the week prior. Pitt is still the leader for Hugley from what I know. Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting until an LOI is signed.

I strongly like Pitt’s chances with the players I have mentioned and talked about the last 6+ months for 2020. And once again the players I mentioned in this thread are not all the players Pitt is recruiting

Regardless of who else Pitt signs and our need for a center, if Pitt lands Davis and Timberlake this class is an absolute Grand Slam. I will reiterate what I previously said that Pitt is in major contention to get both of them and is in major contention for a monster 2020 recruiting class with the other players mentioned.

Thank you for the enthusiasm, but I need to question your reasoning/source that makes you say: "Pitt has made up significant ground with Puff."

What makes you say this?

I know someone who knows the Johnson family extremely well, and talks to them almost daily. I spoke to this person after you posted this and read them your take and their response to me was: "I can't imagine why someone would say this."

I can't say that my person is right and you are wrong but I was hoping that you could provide more insight as to why you have stated Pitt has made up significant ground.

My thoughts are his dad went to pitt. They think pitt is a safe play or option for him if their top plans don’t work out. I would not assume he is coming here and would not assume pitt is his first choice. I think pitt is a safe choice for him if things don’t line up the way they project. He is not a top 50 player he is not going to make us either way.

Not sure you're getting the point--Traylor was one of the country's top 25 players in his age group from 8th grade on. Big programs were on to him from the time he was 13 years old.

Hugley is a nice looking player and I hope we get him. But other than the fact that he's a big wide dude, there isn't much of a comparison. Traylor had a rare skillset for a frontcourt player regardless of his size. Combined with his size it made him a superstar as a HS player. Hugley isn't going to be a national top 10 player after his senior year.

Why do some of you feel the need to attack anyone that posts something that is in depth? Whether the poster is an insider or not this message board is for Pitt basketball fans. Why do people feel the need to scrutinize B-ball Insider or Vader’s posts? Some of you need to lighten up on your responses to them.

It’s a free basketball post. It’s basketball. Pitt basketball. We need all the help we can get. Vader wants to post positive stuff on pitt why would we tell him not to. Post away. Post post post. Tell
Me pitt has a chance to be good every day. I like it. Better than watching the stock market every day and watching people tell me on tv why were going into a recession bla bla bla.

Reactions: Tonyt66 and palpitt
If Hugely has a dominant senior year he could really move up in his rankings can I blow up even more. But hey guys great conversation about this guy I love it and I would even love it more if he chooses Pitt

Thanks again Vader for all the info. I know some people are skeptical of you but none of them have given as much information as you have so I'm going to still ride with you.

I wonder how many people actually watched Virginia and Texas Tech play in the NCAA Tournament this year? A few posters on this forum were very sour on both teams entering the tournament because they were built on "defense".

How quickly some forget that Virginia won the National Title and Texas Tech was blowing Tom Izzo and Michigan State right out of the gym and building in the 2nd half of the Final 4 with defense. Texas Tech's defense put a choke collar on Izzo and the entire Michigan St basketball team.

Culver was a 6'6 G / W that averaged 6.8 rebounds per game in the NCAA Tournament. Texas Tech played in the Elite 8 and National Title game in back to back years with Culver. Texas Tech's defense was ranked 4th and 1st in the country the last 2 years in defensive efficiency.

Culver could not shoot the basketball. He shot 24% from 3 in conference play and 29% from 3 in the NCAA Tournament, he was a worse shooter than both Xavier Johnson and Trey Mcgowens from 3 this year.

Culver shot 31% for the entire NCAA Tournament in all 6 games combined he played in. He couldn't shoot at all. He dominated on the glass and on defense and got his points by volume shooting only. Culver straight up destroyed and manhandled teams on the glass and on defense. He was the top rebounding player for Texas Tech for the entire season at 6.4 boards per game as a guard / wing.

Ive said it at least twice in the past recently that Pitt's defense as a "team unit" will dictate how many wins Pitt wins this year. Pitt's defense is going to vault "up" this year in defensive efficiency in the National Rankings because of the added athletic ability and wingspan at the forward spots. The closer Pitt gets its defense to the National Top 25 in efficiency , the closer Pitt is getting to 20 wins this season.

Pitt is not going to take 3 players in the 2020 class that can't rebound, refuse to rebound, or do not know how to rebound. Dennis Rodman was a 6'7 forward that averaged 13.1 rebounds per game in the NBA. Rodman was a 5X NBA Champion, a 2X NBA defensive player of the year, and a 7X rebound champion in the NBA as a 6'7 220lb forward. Rodman owns the 7 best overall efficiency rebound percentage efficiency rates by season in the entire NBA going all the way back to 1970. Rodman didn't get drafted until the 2nd round. Every NBA team that passed on him in the first should talk quietly about the value of defense and rebounding from players that are undersized but have the will and desire to dominate on defense and rebounding.

There is a reason Pitt wants Timberlake badly and why he is at the top of the big board with Davis over every other player on the board.

A) Why're you outlining Dennis Rodman's achievements?

B) Dennis Rodman wins 0 championships if he doesn't play on a team with MJ and Pippen + Isiah, Lambier and Dumars.

C) Guys who rebound and play defense are certainly valuable, but at the end of the day you need guys who can score.

Guy, Jerome and Hunter were the top 3 scorers on the team. They averaged 14 rebounds per game, 0.7 blocks and 2.5 steals. That's total combined per game.

UVA didn't win because of their defense. They won because they had 3 guys who could score the ball when they needed a bucket. They haven't won in the past because they could never score when the going got tough. Guy, Jerome and Hunter are good defenders and that certainly helped, but if they were 7-8 pts per game type guys than UVA doesn't win.

I understand your Culver example, but the dude was a top 6 pick. Certainly his defense played a role in on where he got drafted, but he wasn't the 6th pick to become the next Andre Roberson. He's an NBA ready defender, but has the potential to be one of the better 3 and D guys in the league.

D) I think it's crazy to say that Pitt won't take certain players because of their rebounding numbers in AAU or HS. Or they'll only take 1 of a few guys for that same reason. That's insane. If you have the size and are semi athletic, you can be a decent defender and rebounder by simply giving effort. The kids he's recruiting are more the semi athletic.

Who knows how these AAU coaches have these kids playing. Some of these wings are taught to get back on defense as soon as the ball is shot. Some of them are told to break out in transition when the ball is shot and let the big guys rebound and outlet. Rebounding and defense is all about effort and scheme. That's it. Again, this is under the assumption we are dealing with D1 athletes (which we are).

E) Back to Dennis Rodman. Again, why'd you outline his stats and accolades? I'm all for the 6'7" guy that averages 13 and 12 per game and defends like a machine. We had that guy in the late 2000s. There aren't guys out there like this. They're very rare. There are certainly wings who can defend and rebound, but they aren't averaging 13 and 12. They're averaging 5 and 5 and killing you on offense.

It’s a free basketball post. It’s basketball. Pitt basketball. We need all the help we can get. Vader wants to post positive stuff on pitt why would we tell him not to. Post away. Post post post. Tell
Me pitt has a chance to be good every day. I like it. Better than watching the stock market every day and watching people tell me on tv why were going into a recession bla bla bla.

Sure. I encourage him to post. But so long as he injects so much opinion and so frequently pats himself on the back, then posters will engage with him this way. If he just said "Hey, here's my weekly/monthly aggregator post" then folks would say "cool, thanks."

Sure. I encourage him to post. But so long as he injects so much opinion and so frequently pats himself on the back, then posters will engage with him this way. If he just said "Hey, here's my weekly/monthly aggregator post" then folks would say "cool, thanks."
Maybe if he didn’t put “as I predicted” or “as I said in an earlier post even though everyone already knew it” in every sentence we wouldn’t mock him.

Maybe if he didn’t put “as I predicted” or “as I said in an earlier post even though everyone already knew it” in every sentence we wouldn’t mock him.

I agree with the "as I predicted" and the "patting himself on the back." However I
don't follow recruiting. I can't be bothered looking up websites, twitters, etc. etc.
for recruiting info. So with that said, I can put up with the self congratulatory
comments since he's giving a lot of info I otherwise wouldn't see anywhere else.
As someone earlier posted, many of us take much of it "with a grain of salt."
Hell, I get a kick out of SMF's posts...especially his outrageous and off the wall
suggestions and predictions he sometimes posts on here. I feel both he and
Vader are true Pitt fans. I hope Vader continues with his recruiting info and I'll
decide for myself what's real and what's absurdly optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT