ADVERTISEMENT

Vader Recruiting: Capel closing in on Elite Star Talent

May be true. Question.....where does he get his minutes?

I’m not coach Capel so I don’t know but him, Champagnie and Toney will have a rotation and it will vary depending on the defense that’s presented by opponents. What I’m saying is I feel like Collier will be utilized more so against the zone than when teams are in man to man.

I have a good feeling about Max, and it probably is a good chance he will see some minutes as a third option, but still gotta believe he is going to be raw enough that come ACC play he might see a handful of minutes a game.

Even going back to his Oklahoma days, HCJC has preferred a one in four out style. 2008-9 his top 7 players were 6-10 blake griffen, 6-4 PG Warren and a group of 6-7, 6-6, 6-6. 6-5 & 6-3 wings.

That is what he has said he would prefer since he has gotten to Oakland - a PG, a big and wings.

Going into next year his most proven, experienced and talented players are going to be X, Trey, Toney, Champ and Murphy. Horton likely will be in the mix.

When the schedule tightens up in ACC play, gotta believe he will default to what he knows and believes, and it is hard to think he is going to sit Toney, Champ or even Horton or Murphy so he can have to "bigs" just to play two bigs.

We have to hope Hugs has the talent to be a guy who can really help from day one, but until such time as AKC, Max and Collier get the maturity and experience to hold up consistently and also significantly impact the game ... It just seems that until he is able to add more high end talented big men like he had at Duke, he will go with the one in four out approach.

Or, I can see that with time, a year or two, Max will be good enough and Hugs will want the opportunity to play as a forward, that perhaps you might see a line up with Max at C and Hugs at PF, but hard to see that happening any time before 2021-22.
I appreciate this insight. I think Horton is going to play more minutes than Murphy next year. Taller, longer, stronger, more athletic, and a better shooter. Capel's praise for him last week was really significant.

As for the rest, I do think you're right in saying that the "base" lineup will probably be X as a lead guard, a big, and three "other" players - who I believe will be Trey, Toney, and Champagnie. That said, while we've definitely heard Capel talk about the advantages of a one guard, three wing, one big lineup...we've also heard him talk quite a bit about the matchup problems that that style of lineup has against a team with two effective forwards.

I think that the personnel he's recruiting and that will be on the roster for the 2020-21 season and beyond will give a whole lot of flexibility and give opponents a few different looks. When you play Pitt next year, you could conceivably prepare for and play against several different teams:

Base: X, Trey, Champagnie, Toney, Brown
"Traditional": X, Trey, Champagnie/Toney, Hugley, Brown
Athletic Traditional: X, Trey, Champagnie/Toney, Collier, Brown
Three guard, wing, big: X, Trey, Horton, Toney/Champagnie, Brown
Shooter: X, Trey, Murphy, Horton, Hugley
Long/Rebounding: X, Toney/Champagnie, Collier, Hugley, Amadasun

I appreciate this insight. I think Horton is going to play more minutes than Murphy next year. Taller, longer, stronger, more athletic, and a better shooter. Capel's praise for him last week was really significant.

As for the rest, I do think you're right in saying that the "base" lineup will probably be X as a lead guard, a big, and three "other" players - who I believe will be Trey, Toney, and Champagnie. That said, while we've definitely heard Capel talk about the advantages of a one guard, three wing, one big lineup...we've also heard him talk quite a bit about the matchup problems that that style of lineup has against a team with two effective forwards.

I think that the personnel he's recruiting and that will be on the roster for the 2020-21 season and beyond will give a whole lot of flexibility and give opponents a few different looks. When you play Pitt next year, you could conceivably prepare for and play against several different teams:

Base: X, Trey, Champagnie, Toney, Brown
"Traditional": X, Trey, Champagnie/Toney, Hugley, Brown
Athletic Traditional: X, Trey, Champagnie/Toney, Collier, Brown
Three guard, wing, big: X, Trey, Horton, Toney/Champagnie, Brown
Shooter: X, Trey, Murphy, Horton, Hugley
Long/Rebounding: X, Toney/Champagnie, Collier, Hugley, Amadasun

Pretty much agree - I have a soft spot for Murphy, and hold out hope he will take another step, but could see where Horton bypasses him a bit.

And, likely will be games where he would use two bigs a little more so. He tends to move the pieces around until he finds a combination that works best that night when they are struggling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT