ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I walked out of our last contest feeling perplexed. This time I’m just plain old disappointed.

** I’ll even say that for 32 minutes I was encouraged. A little enthused even. And I was hungry for a big Panther win.

** For those first 32 minutes, we actually were a decent basketball team. We were focused on defense. We controlled tempo. We fought for points. We were in position to take a game I didn’t expect we would win.

** At the very least, we didn’t look overmatched against another P-5 team. Sure, we couldn’t really hit most of the open jumpers we took. But we were finding a way. We were battling.

** I remarked during the under 8 timeout that were soon going to find out what kind of team we can be. At the next TV timeout, it was time to go home. It was a big turkey one might say. Or maybe a chicken since we certainly laid an egg. Disappointing. Very disappointing.

** What was most disappointing is that the tough defense the Panthers were playing up to that point seemingly just disappeared. Sure, the Commodores hit some truly tough shots during that stretch, but we stopped making their ball movement difficult.

** If the Panthers are going to make anything of this campaign, they are going to have to really get it done on the defensive end. In an attempt to be positive, I’ll at least offer that it was good to see that we have that kind of defense in us for an extended period of time. But we are always going to need it for 40 minutes. Not 32.

** I’m also a little curious about Capel’s use of zone defense during that fateful 4 minute stretch. But nitpicking coaching tactics probably misses the point.

** Anyway, we will need 40 minutes of defense because we may have only about half of that in offensive ability.

** The only conclusion I made today is that we are a better offensive team with Burton running the point and Femi playing the two. But even that didn’t help the Panthers when the Commodores went on their run.

** It surely would have helped the Panthers if Nate could have hit one or two more of his shots. But I’m not going to speak badly of Mr. Santos this night. As the Panthers only real shooter, the load on his shoulders is far greater than it otherwise should be for a freshman. Despite his threes not falling, he played a solid game, and looks to have a bright future.

** I also liked the ball reversal work the Panthers did to get Nate good shots.

** I don’t know what to make of what happens to Will’s jump shot during games. He looked confident shooting today too, but nothing is really close to going down. But generally speaking, I do like what he brings to the game in regards to energy. Hopefully the scoring will show up eventually because it’s needed desperately.

** But what we need even more desperately than Will’s offense is anything at all from Big John. He is just so out of sorts right now that it’s truly troubling. On one trip, it looks like he’s trying to hard, while on the next, it looks like he’s not trying hard enough. He’s going to have to figure it out, because we simply cannot win games with him playing the way he has the last two games.

** And unfortunately, Noah wasn’t able to have any success like his last outing. But anything we get from Noah is gravy. John simply must be the main course.

** I hope everyone enjoys their main course and their gravy tomorrow. And hopefully more Panther fans will show up on Saturday to (hopefully) watch the Panthers feast on the Retrievers. I suspect the Panthers will have a much better offensive game to offer next time out, and those of us who do watch will be much less disappointed.

** Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Pitt Hoops fans.

DT,

For those of us unable to attend or watch (thank you ACC/Xfinity)…always appreciate your candor and excellence in showing what we do right and wrong. This could be a long season, but though there may be disappointments, I’m always rooting for our team….and like you, only hope for the best for all who wear the PITT uniform! As the group James’ sings in ”Waltzing Along”..”May your mind let you be through all disasters, may your heart lead you on!”

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our PITT family members!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

** I walked out of our last contest feeling perplexed. This time I’m just plain old disappointed.

** I’ll even say that for 32 minutes I was encouraged. A little enthused even. And I was hungry for a big Panther win.

** For those first 32 minutes, we actually were a decent basketball team. We were focused on defense. We controlled tempo. We fought for points. We were in position to take a game I didn’t expect we would win.

** At the very least, we didn’t look overmatched against another P-5 team. Sure, we couldn’t really hit most of the open jumpers we took. But we were finding a way. We were battling.

** I remarked during the under 8 timeout that were soon going to find out what kind of team we can be. At the next TV timeout, it was time to go home. It was a big turkey one might say. Or maybe a chicken since we certainly laid an egg. Disappointing. Very disappointing.

** What was most disappointing is that the tough defense the Panthers were playing up to that point seemingly just disappeared. Sure, the Commodores hit some truly tough shots during that stretch, but we stopped making their ball movement difficult.

** If the Panthers are going to make anything of this campaign, they are going to have to really get it done on the defensive end. In an attempt to be positive, I’ll at least offer that it was good to see that we have that kind of defense in us for an extended period of time. But we are always going to need it for 40 minutes. Not 32.

** I’m also a little curious about Capel’s use of zone defense during that fateful 4 minute stretch. But nitpicking coaching tactics probably misses the point.

** Anyway, we will need 40 minutes of defense because we may have only about half of that in offensive ability.

** The only conclusion I made today is that we are a better offensive team with Burton running the point and Femi playing the two. But even that didn’t help the Panthers when the Commodores went on their run.

** It surely would have helped the Panthers if Nate could have hit one or two more of his shots. But I’m not going to speak badly of Mr. Santos this night. As the Panthers only real shooter, the load on his shoulders is far greater than it otherwise should be for a freshman. Despite his threes not falling, he played a solid game, and looks to have a bright future.

** I don’t know what to make of what happens to Will’s jump shot during games. He looked confident shooting today too, but nothing is really close to going down. But generally speaking, I do like what he brings to the game in regards to energy. Hopefully the scoring will show up eventually because it’s needed desperately.

** But what we need even more desperately than Will’s offense is anything at all from Big John. He is just so out of sorts right now that it’s truly troubling. On one trip, it looks like he’s trying to hard, while on the next, it looks like he’s not trying hard enough. He’s going to have to figure it out, because we simply cannot win games with him playing the way he has the last two games.

** And unfortunately, Noah wasn’t able to have any success like his last outing. But anything we get from Noah is gravy. John simply must be the main course.

** I hope everyone enjoys their main course and their gravy tomorrow. And hopefully more Panther fans will show up on Saturday to (hopefully) watch the Panthers feast on the Retrievers. I suspect the Panthers will have a much better offensive game to offer next time out, and those of us who do watch will be much less disappointed.

Thanks DT.

Hugley gets position in the post and as soon as the ball is entered to him, at least 3 defenders surround him. Without any outside shooting threats, this will continue to happen. The team has very little basketball skill- no shooters in the age of the 3 pointer is a killer.

Yes, thanks DT.

Thoughts--

The ACCN channel didn't begin to show the game until Pitt's only good offense was over due to the O-T game preceding it. Maybe it started on ACCN Xtra? Pitt game came on the ACCN channel when was Pitt up 16-9.

On Big John--He seemed to generally be double or tripled nearly every time he got the ball inside. This is going to happen when your team can't shoot the 3-ball even half-way decently. Nevertheless, his failure on multiple occasions to hustle back on defense was very disappointing.

Maybe if we had Horton back and Santos wouldn't be our only "hope" from 3-ball land things would/could be a little better?? As I complained previously --this team, as presently constituted, doesn't have the offensive ability to score 70 points in a game against anyone. That's truly sad for the fans and frustrating for the players.

I once thought this team could get to 10 wins. Now I believe the ceiling (unless Horton is back) may be 5 wins. Even if he does get back that ceiling might not change because I don't see how it can win a single ACC game with such poor overall offensive ability. If they haven't already as of last night, this team may very well give up on the coaches.

Yes, thanks DT.

Thoughts--

The ACCN channel didn't begin to show the game until Pitt's only good offense was over due to the O-T game preceding it. Maybe it started on ACCN Xtra? Pitt game came on the ACCN channel when was Pitt up 16-9.

On Big John--He seemed to generally be double or tripled nearly every time he got the ball inside. This is going to happen when your team can't shoot the 3-ball even half-way decently. Nevertheless, his failure on multiple occasions to hustle back on defense was very disappointing.

Maybe if we had Horton back and Santos wouldn't be our only "hope" from 3-ball land things would/could be a little better?? As I complained previously --this team, as presently constituted, doesn't have the offensive ability to score 70 points in a game against anyone. That's truly sad for the fans and frustrating for the players.

I once thought this team could get to 10 wins. Now I believe the ceiling (unless Horton is back) may be 5 wins. Even if he does get back that ceiling might not change because I don't see how it can win a single ACC game with such poor overall offensive ability. If they haven't already as of last night, this team may very well give up on the coaches.

Can you blame them? How would anyone feel if they knew deep down in their hearts that they may win 5 or 6 games total if they're lucky and only if the other team has a really bad day? This is 100% entirely on Capel and his band of incompetent coaches.

I guess I am thankful that I forgot they were even playing last night.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Can you blame them? How would anyone feel if they knew deep down in their hearts that they may win 5 or 6 games total if they're lucky and only if the other team has a really bad day? This is 100% entirely on Capel and his band of incompetent coaches.
I hate to harp on this, because I’ve said from Day 1 this staff wasn’t up to snuff (yes patting myself on the back) but watch opposing staffs during timeouts compared to ours. Ours stands around dumbfounded by what’s going on in the game and looking at stat sheets. Vanderbilt, as poor of a coach as I believe Stackhouse is, had Ed Conroy among others giving instructions, talking to each other and trying to figure stuff out. They eventually did. This is what a staff that is coaching for their job every day does.

Also, I was sitting directly behind Pitt’s bench. I heard one voice all game that was Jeff’s. I could hear Stackhouse, Conroy and the rest of the staff yelling out instructions, plays, scouting report details the entire game. This is how Pitt was under Dixon when they had Lombardi, Herrion, BK, etc etc…

This is a very dark time for our hoops program and there is no end in sight, none. I never thought I would see a team with this little actual basketball ability in a league of this level…absolutely mind blowing, half our roster looks like they shouldn’t even be in D1 ball period. Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all, enjoy your day and remember, hammer the Lions +3 😉

Reactions: PittPoker
Maybe Jamie would come back if we begged him and paid him a ton ::) there was never any slack in activity/coaching from that coaching staff.

Reactions: PittPoker
Yes, something motivated them to sign on with the Capel mantra, at least they can buy in when the battles begin.

Yeah, I guess some responsibility has to be laid on the shoulders of the players who signed on with this clueless incompetent. What were they thinking?

Reactions: Parkview57

Going into the game, I didn't think we would win. Up 18-9, I was confident we would because Vanderbilt did not appear to be good at all (and they arent, picked 13th in the SEC). Then we stopped scoring and stopped playing defense. Vandy outscored us 53-28 during a 24 minute stretch. To be outscored by 25 in a little more than a half by the 2nd worst team in the SEC is really one of the worst stretches of basketball we've seen by Pitt

Hugley gets position in the post and as soon as the ball is entered to him, at least 3 defenders surround him. Without any outside shooting threats, this will continue to happen. The team has very little basketball skill- no shooters in the age of the 3 pointer is a killer.

Hugley didn't hustle back on defense after getting knocked down twice. And his body language was bad, prompting Capel to take him out late in the 2nd Half. This is going to be a thing with him.

This is a very dark time for our hoops program and there is no end in sight, none. I never thought I would see a team with this little actual basketball ability in a league of this level…absolutely mind blowing, half our roster looks like they shouldn’t even be in D1 ball period. Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all, enjoy your day and remember, hammer the Lions +3 😉

Femi - P6 starter
Hugley - P6 starter
Burton - P6 reserve
Santos - deep P6 reserve
Oladapo - mid-major/deep P6 reserve
Gueye - mid-major/deep P6 reserve
Jeffress - mid-major/low major
Collier - mid-major/low major
Payton - low major/D2
Amadusun- low major/D2

Hugley didn't hustle back on defense after getting knocked down twice. And his body language was bad, prompting Capel to take him out late in the 2nd Half. This is going to be a thing with him.

Hugley's help defense in the block was really bad. He did so much watching and not enough playing on defense. Playing isn't even the right word, at times he didn't even try. He watched people drive into the lane and stood there.

I was also quite disappointed with Burton on defense. He gave up a lot of points in the final stretch of that game. He was getting beat from 3, he was getting beat off dribble penetration, and he was consistently giving his man far to much space and not closing on his own man. For a player that came from a Chris Beard team and who is supposed to be a team leader here, especially on defense, it was pretty bothersome to watch a seasoned player perform like that.

Femi - P6 starter
Hugley - P6 starter
Burton - P6 reserve
Santos - deep P6 reserve
Oladapo - mid-major/deep P6 reserve
Gueye - mid-major/deep P6 reserve
Jeffress - mid-major/low major
Collier - mid-major/low major
Payton - low major/D2
Amadusun- low major/D2
I swear you guys don’t watch the same games as me. Can Hugley and Femi start at P6’s? Yes, they currently are. Should they on ANY P6 that wants to win? Absolutely not. Our best two players would be league average A10 players. Femi should not be a PG.

Yeah, I guess some responsibility has to be laid on the shoulders of the players who signed on with this clueless incompetent. What were they thinking?
Exactly,. if you sign up to be in the "Dog and Pony Show", don't complain when the main event is over and you have to "clean-up" with the rest of the crew.

I swear you guys don’t watch the same games as me. Can Hugley and Femi start at P6’s? Yes, they currently are. Should they on ANY P6 that wants to win? Absolutely not. Our best two players would be league average A10 players. Femi should not be a PG.

Femi was terrific last game. Offense, defense, decision making, he was really good. I maintain he has to shoot far more 3's and drive far more into the lane. Shooting stats continue to come up, including his free throw percentage after last night.

Femi was terrific last game. Offense, defense, decision making, he was really good. I maintain he has to shoot far more 3's and drive far more into the lane. Shooting stats continue to come up, including his free throw percentage after last night.
He had an anomaly of actually making his FT’s. He was fine against Vandy who is another MM - team like Pitt. He’s just simply mediocre. Not sure what you guys watch tbh

I still think Hugley could be but at the moment it seems he doesn’t care to. And if you dog it like he does you’ll have a hard time playing anywhere.

I know guys who played d3 and NAIA sports as I’m sure most of us do. But they’re expected to bust their asses just the same. I know someone who hooped for W&J and thought it would be mostly just for fun. Quit on New Year’s Day when he was puking all over the court.

I still think Hugley could be but at the moment it seems he doesn’t care to. And if you dog it like he does you’ll have a hard time playing anywhere.

I know guys who played d3 and NAIA sports as I’m sure most of us do. But they’re expected to bust their asses just the same. I know someone who hooped for W&J and thought it would be mostly just for fun. Quit on New Year’s Day when he was puking all over the court.
I agree with you…

at some point you have to question what he’s all about. Steals a car, or borrows it. They keep faith in him even fight for him and let him come back. Then he doesn’t reward them with all out effort and team play? Somewhere there is a disconnect.

I played team sports from the time I was 7-20. I was always extremely competitive and hated to lose. I cannot wrap my head around the nonchalant, head in hands attitude that I see from this team and staff. I am basically at the point to where, “Why should I care if they don’t?”

I agree with you, neither Femi or Hugley look like P6 starters.

Femi, I was optimistic about going into this season based on what I saw last year but now I thinking my recollection wasn’t very good. I think his handle is very loose and prone to get picked, subpar for a PG. And he’s not necessarily quick or has a good shot.

Hugley I was reserving judgement on. I never thought he was as good as the consensus sentiment routinely put forth on this board although I was hoping I was wrong seeing as he’s an OH product. But as if now, I don’t think I was wrong. He lacks hustle and drive, partly due to lack of conditioning but I don’t think that’s the only reason. His skills don’t jump out at you either.

I think Femi is definitely a quality college basketball player who could sneak into All-ACC contention later in his career if he is surrounded by players who can space the floor and take pressure off of him. He is excellent at getting to the rim, but teams are just collapsing and not giving him the lane. He still is getting to the line so at least there is that. I shudder to think how bad this team would be without him as their primary ball handler.

I agree with you, neither Femi or Hugley look like P6 starters.

Femi, I was optimistic about going into this season based on what I saw last year but now I thinking my recollection wasn’t very good. I think his handle is very loose and prone to get picked, subpar for a PG. And he’s not necessarily quick or has a good shot.

Hugley I was reserving judgement on. I never thought he was as good as the consensus sentiment routinely put forth on this board although I was hoping I was wrong seeing as he’s an OH product. But as if now, I don’t think I was wrong. He lacks hustle and drive, partly due to lack of conditioning but I don’t think that’s the only reason. His skills don’t jump out at you either.

Odukale had the 2nd highest midrange shooting percentage on last years roster at 40%.

This year, he is shooting 44% from the field and 50% from 3. What exactly would you like our starting point guards numbers to look like?

For reference, Carl Krauser averaged over 42% once in his entire Pitt career, as a 5th year senior.

What are you guys watching or expecting from this kid with next to zero help?

I played team sports from the time I was 7-20. I was always extremely competitive and hated to lose. I cannot wrap my head around the nonchalant, head in hands attitude that I see from this team and staff. I am basically at the point to where, “Why should I care if they don’t?”
I’m in my 50s and I still feel like that. I only played organized baseball until I was about 17. Played a ton of hoops on the local courts until I was about 22. Even though it meant nothing I busted my tail.

Later on I played what I’d call beer league type stuff but haven’t for a while. Was the same. And if I decided to get in some 50 and over softball for example I’m sure I’d still be exactly the same as I was attitude wise.

I don’t get it either.

I think Femi is definitely a quality college basketball player who could sneak into All-ACC contention later in his career if he is surrounded by players who can space the floor and take pressure off of him. He is excellent at getting to the rim, but teams are just collapsing and not giving him the lane. He still is getting to the line so at least there is that. I shudder to think how bad this team would be without him as their primary ball handler.

This team fully collapsed when Odukale was taken out of the game last night in the 2nd half. I mean a complete meltdown on offense and defense.

Odukale had the 2nd highest midrange shooting percentage on last years roster at 40%.

This year, he is shooting 44% from the field and 50% from 3. What exactly would you like our starting point guards numbers to look like?

For reference, Carl Krauser averaged over 42% once in his entire Pitt career, as a 5th year senior.

he barely played last year til X left and no one knew anything about him because not one other ACC school recruited him. Every P6 school in the country, including our staff, thought XJ was better than him. I continually told you all that. Yet you wanted to hype him up as some great PG based on advanced stats in the smallest sample size possible. He’s simply not good enough.

Furthermore, mid range shots are the worst shots in basketball. And he doesn’t shoot 3’s almost ever. Imagine what’s gonna happen when he’s fully scouted in the ACC this year, people sag off him and dare him to shoot and he can’t get to the rim or finish over taller players. It’s gonna be bad.

he barely played last year til X left and no one knew anything about him because not one other ACC school recruited him. Every P6 school in the country, including our staff, thought XJ was better than him. I continually told you all that. Yet you wanted to hype him up as some great PG based on advanced stats in the smallest sample size possible. He’s simply not good enough.

Furthermore, mid range shots are the worst shots in basketball. And he doesn’t shoot 3’s almost ever. Imagine what’s gonna happen when he’s fully scouted in the ACC this year, people sag off him and dare him to shoot and he can’t get to the rim or finish over taller players. It’s gonna be bad.
I meant to mention that yesterday. It’s amazing to me an analytics guru keeps touting mid range shots.

Please stop

Ill watch the games and use actual stats.

I think Femi and Nate will be just fine from now until the end of the season, I dont think either will fall apart like Xaver Johnson and Mcgowens did in conference play. I have that level of confidence with no other player on our team right now.

I think Femi and Nate will be just fine from now until the end of the season, I dont think either will fall apart like Xaver Johnson and Mcgowens did in conference play. I have that level of confidence with no other player on our team right now.
Lol. Eyes fail you, they do. Need to have them check, you must.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I meant to mention that yesterday. It’s amazing to me an analytics guru keeps touting mid range shots.

Did you watch the Phoenix Suns in last years NBA playoffs? Or does that not count? Did you know the Suns were one of the top teams in the entire NBA last year from the midrange?

Do you know what place the Suns are in right now after making the NBA finals last year?

Stop with your Nate Oats nonsense that the midrange is extinct.

Maybe, but that’s assuming they don’t enter the portal until after the season.

Did you watch the Phoenix Suns in last years NBA playoffs? Or does that not count? Did you know the Suns were one of the top teams in the entire NBA last year from the midrange?

Do you know what place the Suns are in right now after making the NBA finals last year?
So they’re an anomaly. I said I’m not a metrics guy but I’ve read enough that’s said mid range are the worst shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT