ADVERTISEMENT

Victory Heights initiative

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Heather Lyke talking to the media today had some of the following tidbits:

- Pitt is "flipping" the Pete for the 2019-2020 season. Cameras will be moved to the other side of the Pete to show the Zoo on TV, as well as moving the benches to the other side

- The benches will be moved to the other side as well

- Looking to move possibly move the media out of the lower bowl and add seating there

- Said Pitt has facility needs for their sports, will most likely relace the Fieldhouse with a new facility that will be a 3,000 seat Volleyball/Wrestling/Indoor Track facility

- No on campus football stadium to be built "at this time"

- Banking on donors to fund this initiative, no student fees will be used to pay for this

- Looking to move tailgating lots for students closer to Heinz Field for football games, said they are too far away and in a bad place for the students

- Will look at other facility improvements on top of the hill which will mainly affect the Fieldhouse and OC Lot (training facilities, aforementioned Volleyball/Wrestling Track facility, etc

- Has an agreement on PSU desk to have another 4 game series starting in 2026, but "will not wait forever on PSU"

- ACC Network production studio at the Pete will have a giant window so people can see the production acivities, sort of like the Today Show or something

Pretty exciting stuff IMO. Looking to make major upgrades to all of our on campus facilities, help out the student situation at Heinz a little more prior to the games, and making the smartest decision on showing the Zoo during games.

Will expect donors to step up so it's time to put up or shut up. This is the most excited I've been in a while for Pitt athletics and their vision.

They are starting to get into specifics.

- Pitt is "flipping" the Pete for the 2019-2020 season. Cameras will be moved to the other side of the Pete to show the Zoo on TV, as well as moving the benches to the other side

- Looking to move possibly move the media out of the lower bowl and add seating there

- Said Pitt has facility needs for their sports, will most likely relace the Fieldhouse with a new facility that will be a 3,000 seat Volleyball/Wrestling/Indoor Track facility

- Banking on donors to fund this initiative, no student fees will be used to pay for this

- Looking to move tailgating lots for students closer to Heinz Field for football games, said they are too far away and in a bad place for the students

- Will look at other facility improvements on top of the hill which will mainly affect the Fieldhouse and OC Lot (training facilities, aforementioned Volleyball/Wrestling Track facility, etc

- Has an agreement on PSU desk to have another 4 game series starting in 2026, but "will not wait forever on PSU"

- ACC Network production studio at the Pete will have a giant window so people can see the production acivities, sort of like the Today Show or something
I love what they're doing with the ACC Network Studio. Point Park has something like that downtown and it's awesome.

The next step would be to redesign the lobby area and concourses of the Pete. Night and day when you see Pitt's and then someplace like Louisville's KFC Yum! Center.

Also like that they're creating a major/minor to go along with it. Wish they'd look into a Sports Marketing/Management degree, too.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Good stuff.
  • I never really understood why the Pete was configured to show the luxury suites on the floor.
  • Donor commitment is the best way to accomplish what she's trying to do.
  • It's time to push the PSU series paperwork into the trash. It's sounding more and more like it has to be a one-sided deal to be workable and that's not acceptable.
  • The fact that the "on-campus" stadium comes up every time she stands up to talk about facilities and that it's always met with a "not at this time" response probably tells you all you need to know about that situation.
  • Really glad nobody asked about tarps.

where will the stadium student lot be now?
wouldn't rule out more future stadium tweaks.
she's handling the state thing fine.
she's on a roll.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Ill be honest, I get why they are moving the student tailgaiting section but I kind of like it where it is. Yeah, it is far away, and yeah, it is pretty dumpy. But it is unique and enjoyable in an animal house, South Oakland type of way. Not every college football tailgate experience includes a highway, an active rail line, overpasses, and cramped quarters. I’d rather have that than the Monroeville-esque parking lot tailgating at Clemson or parking in a field like at VT or penn state or on a golf course at Norte dame.

I think the new Fitz arena replacement should aim for 4K seats. 3K seems to small. They draw some good crowds for olympic sports like wrestling. Need to have some room to grow for sports like volleyball and gymnastics.

I think the new Fitz arena replacement should aim for 4K seats. 3K seems to small. They draw some good crowds for olympic sports like wrestling. Need to have some room to grow for sports like volleyball and gymnastics.
Stroke the check to fund the extra 1,000 and I'm sure Heather will set her sites accordingly.

I didn’t hear about the media move. I’ve been ranting about that for years. Put seats in that section. Way too many games where that section is almost empty, minus an intern or two looking at a laptop.

I would tear down Trees and the Field House and rebuild/redevelop that whole area. Maybe keep the swimming pool part of Trees but the other side of the building is decrepid

I would tear down Trees and the Field House and rebuild/redevelop that whole area. Maybe keep the swimming pool part of Trees but the other side of the building is decrepid
trees is fine, need to start buying out dilapidated homes behind Veterans hospital on that zero way and Avalon. only sort of plan is to hope some of these older homes are rental properties and buy them and tear them down.

What is that terrace village? Is that section 8 housing or rental properties for students? Tons of space over in that area..

trees is fine, need to start buying out dilapidated homes behind Veterans hospital on that zero way and Avalon. only sort of plan is to hope some of these older homes are rental properties and buy them and tear them down.

What is that terrace village? Is that section 8 housing or rental properties for students? Tons of space over in that area..

Are you talking about that townhouse community built maybe 15 years ago?

Are you talking about that townhouse community built maybe 15 years ago?
maybe, that area looks new. the other two streets are on the other side, almost behind the VA. Terrace village looks newer, that's down the hill from trees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT