ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Game on, ladies and gentlemen! GAME ON!!

** On January 16, along with many, if not all other Pitt Hoops faithful, I figured our NCAA Tournament prospects had ended. Even the NIT looked highly unlikely.

** Six wins and one loss later, and with an expected win against the Cardinals this coming Saturday, I now expect the Panthers to be found on ESPN’s John Gasway’s Bubble Watch.

** I’m sure we’ll be listed under the “Work to Do” category. But we’ll be there regardless. Yep, GAME ON!!

** I’ll go a step further with self-confessions. I also suggested recently that last year was beginning to look like a fluke for Coach Capel. But now, it’s looking more like he’s been able to turn around two basketball teams in two years and guide them on their way to becoming a much better team. Congratulations to Jeff and the whole Panther program for a tremendous turnaround.

** But let me go even a little further than that. What we watched today was simply the finest regular season performance of the entire Jeff Capel era. This tops the Duke game in my mind, as the Blue Devils were a bit injury challenged on that special night in Durham. Only our NCAA Tournament win against Iowa State last year can be considered more impressive.

** On this even more special night in Charlottesville, we took it to the Hoo’s very confidently. After going down three with five minutes gone in the 2nd half, we outscored UVA 34-20.

** This is a Virginia team that has won their last seven, including a win at Clemson. And they have looked really good doing it.

** What Coach Capel has done this season, much like last season, is believe in his players. And his players are really starting to pay him off!

** Today’s offensive game plan was to get the ball to the lane and kick it out. And starting with Zack Austin’s three, the first of 14 for our Panthers, which came from a drive a dish out from Bub, that offensive game plan seemed like something Tony Bennett’s crew was powerless to stop.

** And it wasn’t just that the Panthers made 14 threes. What was more impressive is that the Panthers were able to shoot 32 threes.

** As a comparison, in their loss to Virginia, Clemson was only able to shoot 20. Miami was only able to shoot 20 threes during their paltry 38 point outing.

** I’ve already mentioned Bub, but I’ll give him another ring. He found shooters on the perimeter much like he was early in the season, and was really the main catalyst for the Panther attack with his 6 assists. He was an attack dog on the defensive end too.

** Early on, I was a little worried about Jaland. He’s been pretty stellar as on late, but his early minutes consisted of three missed shots and a turnover and I feared he was due for a stinker.

** But then he got a three to fall and it was GAME ON for Mr. Lowe as well. He scored 12 points in the game’s final 26 minutes and never turned it over again.

** And let’s give a shout out to the third of our guard trio. Beyond his typical scoring and rebounding (another 8 tonight), Ish made what I saw as the biggest play of the game – the steal from Reece Beekman at the end of the first half followed by the flagrant foul and the Panther’s four point lead at the half.

** Somehow I feel this would have been a much different game had the Hoo’s tied it at the half.

** But we all know the Hoo’s did tie then lead our Panthers midway through the 2nd half. But from the 11:28 mark to the 2:06 mark, UVA made one basket. One.

** Without a doubt this was the Panther’s best defensive stretch of the year. Every Panther deserves credit, but I’ll give special mention to Guillermo who followed up his two huge first half threes with defense in the second half better from him than we’ve seen in quite some time. Maybe all year. This game changed when he entered the game in the second half.

** While I’m at it, let me also suggest that this was Blake Hinson’s best and most complete game as a Panther. While his three ball wasn't as deadly as we’ve seen it, from the opening tip Blake said GAME ON for sure.

** During his entire career in a Pitt uniform, we’ve never seen Blake play defense as well as he did today.

** In Blake’s 37 minutes, he never turned it over once. Blake even tossed two assists. This was a leadership performance of the highest magnitude.

** And of the aforementioned threes, it was the forth of his five for the game that gave the Panthers the lead at the 13:01 mark they would never lose.

** That 5th three was his 82nd for the season. Just 21 to go for the Panther season record.

** So GAME ON Panther fans! It’s time for us to show up in a big way on Saturday to cheer our Panthers onto the bubble.

** And if the Panthers do win on Saturday, allow me to suggest that it’s also time for @UPitt '89 to go GAME ON for the Bubble Watch!

** Congratulations again to the Panthers, this time for their first win at Virginia in 50 years to go with the first win in Cameron in 45.

** I can’t wait to see what else this season has in store for us.

** GAME ON!

I said we needed to make a lot of 3s to win and we did. That's not exactly expert analysis but I always believed you have to beat UVa "over the top." Similar to going up against a great football defense, you cant sustain 14-15 play drives to win. You need chunk plays. That said, this UVa defense looked bad. Or maybe we looked that good? I was trying to think of a better offensive performance than the 44 points we scored in the final 20 minutes and 20 seconds. There isnt one that comes to mind. Great offense all-around. Hinson was HIMson. Lowe was masterful. Carrington and Leggett made timely shots. Fede and GDG contributed.

There was a Pittsburgh team at the University of Dayton Arena tonight. There may be another on March 19 or 20.

Reactions: mo cheeks

** On January 16, along with many, if not all other Pitt Hoops faithful, I figured our NCAA Tournament prospects had ended. Even the NIT looked highly unlikely.

** Six wins and one loss later, and with an expected win against the Cardinals this coming Saturday, I now expect the Panthers to be found on ESPN’s John Gasway’s Bubble Watch.

** I’m sure we’ll be listed under the “Work to Do” category. But we’ll be there regardless. Yep, GAME ON!!

** I’ll go a step further with self-confessions. I also suggested recently that last year was beginning to look like a fluke for Coach Capel. But now, it’s looking more like he’s been able to turn around two basketball teams in two years and guide them on their way to becoming a much better team. Congratulations to Jeff and the whole Panther program for a tremendous turnaround.

** But let me go even a little further than that. What we watched today was simply the finest regular season performance of the entire Jeff Capel era. This tops the Duke game in my mind, as the Blue Devils were a bit injury challenged on that special night in Durham. Only our NCAA Tournament win against Iowa State last year can be considered more impressive.

** On this even more special night in Charlottesville, we took it to the Hoo’s very confidently. After going down three with five minutes gone in the 2nd half, we outscored UVA 34-20.

** This is a Virginia team that has won their last seven, including a win at Clemson. And they have looked really good doing it.

** What Coach Capel has done this season, much like last season, is believe in his players. And his players are really starting to pay him off!

** Today’s offensive game plan was to get the ball to the lane and kick it out. And starting with Zack Austin’s three, the first of 14 for our Panthers, which came from a drive a dish out from Bub, that offensive game plan seemed like something Tony Bennett’s crew was powerless to stop.

** And it wasn’t just that the Panthers made 14 threes. It was more impressive is that the Panthers were able to shoot 32 threes.

** As a comparison, in their loss to Virginia, Clemson was only able to shoot 20. Miami was only able to shoot 20 threes during their paltry 38 point outing.

** I’ve already mentioned Bub, but I’ll give him another ring. He found shooters on the perimeter much like he was early in the season, and was really the main catalyst for the Panther attack with his 6 assists. He was an attack dog on the defensive end too.

** Early on, I was a little worried about Jaland. He’s been pretty stellar as on late, but his early minutes consisted of three missed shots and a turnover and I feared he was due for a stinker.

** But then he got a three to fall and it was GAME ON for Mr. Lowe as well. He scored 12 points in the game’s final 26 minutes and never turned it over again.

** And let’s give a shout out to the third of our guard trio. Beyond his typical scoring and rebounding (another 8 tonight), Ish made what I saw as the biggest play of the game – the steal from Reece Beekman at the end of the first half followed by the flagrant foul and the Panther’s four point lead at the half.

** Somehow I feel this would have been a much different game had to Hoo’s tied it at the half.

** But we all know the Hoo’s did tie then lead our Panthers midway through the 2nd half. But from the 11:28 mark to the 2:06 mark, UVA made one basket. One.

** Without a doubt this was the Panther’s best defensive stretch of the year. Every Panther deserves credit, but I’ll give special mention to Guillermo who followed up his two huge first half threes with defense in the second half better from him than we’ve seen in quite some time. Maybe all year. This game changed when he entered the game in the second half.

** While I’m at it, let me also suggest that this was Blake Hinson’s best and most complete game as a Panther. While his three ball wasn't as deadly as we’ve seen it, from the opening tip Blake said GAME ON for sure.

** During his entire career in a Pitt uniform, we’ve never seen Blake play defense as well as he did today.

** In Blake’s 37 minutes, he never turned it over once. Blake even tossed two assists. This was a leadership performance of the highest magnitude.

** And of the aforementioned threes, it was the forth of his five for the game that gave the Panthers the lead at the 13:01 mark they would never lose.

** That 5th three was his 82nd for the season. Just 21 to go for the Panther season record.

** So GAME ON Panther fans! It’s time for us to show up in a big way on Saturday to cheer our Panthers onto the bubble.

** And if the Panthers do win on Saturday, allow me to suggest that it’s also time for @UPitt '89 to go GAME ON for the Bubble Watch!

** Congratulations again to the Panthers, this time for their first win at Virginia in 50 years to go with the first win in Cameron in 45.

** GAME ON!
Can’t wait till Saturday. 107 or your seats??

I said we needed to make a lot of 3s to win and we did. That's not exactly expert analysis but I always believed you have to beat UVa "over the top." Similar to going up against a great football defense, you cant sustain 14-15 play drives to win. You need chunk plays. That said, this UVa defense looked bad. Or maybe we looked that good? I was trying to think of a better offensive performance than the 44 points we scored in the final 20 minutes and 20 seconds. There isnt one that comes to mind. Great offense all-around. Hinson was HIMson. Lowe was masterful. Carrington and Leggett made timely shots. Fede and GDG contributed.

There was a Pittsburgh team at the University of Dayton Arena tonight. There may be another on March 19 or 20.

Maybe another way to say it was that we needed to TAKE a lot of threes to win.

When we beat UVA during Stalling's first year, we did it by shooting a sizzling 62% from three (13-21).

Today, we shot a very good % from three (44%), but that's not a number that's incredible per se. But shooting 44% from three when shooting 32 threes leads to an impressive win. And for the most part, these were good open threes off of offense, instead of straight up one on one threes like has happened at times this year. It was a good game that the Panthers ran well.

Love me some GDG praise. The game virtually flipped when he entered in the second half. Couple that with the fact that Fede was brutal and it changed the game. Virginia stylistically was a good matchup for Guillermo as they did not have a post big to do damage on him.

Maybe another way to say it was that we needed to TAKE a lot of threes to win.

When we beat UVA during Stalling's first year, we did it by shooting a sizzling 62% from three (13-21).

Today, we shot a very good % from three (44%), but that's not a number that's incredible per se. But shooting 44% from three when shooting 32 threes leads to an impressive win. And for the most part, these were good open threes off of offense, instead of straight up one on one threes like has happened at times this year. It was a good game that the Panthers ran well.

I was surprised we got open looks and similarly surprised UVa was late in rotations and helped on drives/bigs when I dont think it was necessary. I thought we'd have to make a lot of contested 3s but we got good looks. Good offense as you indicated. Super super impressive.

** And it wasn’t just that the Panthers made 14 threes. What was more impressive is that the Panthers were able to shoot 32 threes.

** Somehow I feel this would have been a much different game had to Hoo’s tied it at the half.

** GAME ON!
-Virginia has shooters, but they do not have inside scorers, so this was definitely a game that Guillermo and Fede could control. Fede played well, but G was very key on offense and gave us a 5th threat that Fede does not give us.

-The defensive game plan game plan was great and the players followed it to a tee. Beekman was the only guy who could beat us off the dribble and he had a nice game, but we made it tough on the rest of them. The D did a great job of playing to the Cavs players strengths and forced most to do what they were not capable of doing.

-As I said in an earlier post, we scored in 10 of 12 possessions after UVA took the lead. That is a pretty unbelievable number.

-Crowd needs to show up on Saturday, this is a huge trap game and one that will be easy to look past. Louisville has talent and has been competitive the last few weeks.

Told you. They gave up 46 points in one half to FSU. UVA isn't a great defensive team. This crazy perception that it's a typical UVA defense is based on ONE game, that had as much to do with Miami than it did with UVA.

That said, Hoos might be a bit gassed. This is back to back games where the defense has been absolutely atrocious.

Thanks for the subdued and unenthusiastic summary, DT! ;)

Aside from the obvious 3 point marksmanship, I'd like to reemphasize 2 things that helped us win again. Tonight, Pitt played some great defense and limited UVA to one shot and done. Then to go with that, we outrebounded them by 10. Check this out: Pitt 9 offensive rebounds to UVA's 1. 22 defensive rebounds for Pitt and 18 for UVA. Those rebounds and defense led to some fine ball movement and scoring from our Panthers.

We can't take 'Ville for granted. They know we just beat some really good teams during our road trip and they will be motivated to beat us on our home court. No doubt. Let's go out and beat them handily by 20+ and settle this.

Reactions: pittpsu
Moe-bservations:

*Where to begin? Blake? Bub? Ish? Guillermo? J-Lowe? Defense? Offensive rebounds?

*Blake gets my #1 star of the game, for sure, but tied for 2 and 3 are all of the above

*I listened to both post-game pressers, and Bennett was extremely complimentary to Pitt and how tough they played tonight - Jeff was cool, calm, confident, and looked like a coach who's team is coming into form ... big time

*I fully expected the lulls and runs, but as Capel said, "we never blinked"

* Yes, I watched the game on tape delay ... did I mention I'm superstitious??! ;)

*Not sure who was more surprised ... Wes and Dan or the guys in the ACCN studio?

*Best defense was taking McKneeley out of the second half

*The final play of the first half set the tone; we are still nearly unbeatable when taking a lead into the locker room

*After the game was tied at 47-47, we went on a 25-14 "run" to close it out

*Only 8 turnovers; I think just 3 in the second half

*We won both halfs [sic] 35-31 and 39-32

*Nice to see them so focused after a 6-day absence from games; we need to be equally focused vs Louisville @ home on Saturday

*7-6 is a great spot to be in after our start; need to keep the moe-mentum going

*Great win, guys! H2P!!

Last edited:

** GAME ON!
Dare I ask how much better this team would be with Dior and Papa. If for no other reason a deeper bench.

Let’s not forget that this is all for naught if we lose to Louisville. They are improving.

This team is not good enough to take any opponent for granted. Hopefully, they realize that and will be ready to play on Saturday.

Last two seasons

It's Jimmys and Joes example number infinity

You can't develop guys who can't be developed, whatever the reason

Up and down the roster last season and this one, simply better all-around players, often by laaaaaaarge margins, than the guys in their roles a few years ago

One at a time. I think these guys are winning because they are focusing on every possession.
I saw that at the Miami game. The players never lost their focus: even down by 19 they played every possession and never sulked.

I totally agree that last nights game was far and away the best game this team has played this season. Maybe the best any JC team has played .

They never backed down and they looked like the better team the entire game against a good team on the road .

One thing no one has mentioned is that Blake took the ball to the hoop better than I ever saw him do before .

Bringing Ish off the bench gives Pitt a boost , he’s this yrs Nike .

As long as NIL money doesn’t destroy college bb I think JC era of Pitt bb has turned the corner

It wasn’t that long ago, even after the winning started, I looked at the remaining schedule and said “ We will be lucky if…”

But now you look at the schedule and think sweep.

I am sure some team will come in and beat us when we think we shouldn’t but it’s good right now.

I appreciate what has happened the last two years and Jeff’s ability to improve the team, but damn it would be nice to have a solid team from wire to wire.

** Somehow I feel this would have been a much different game had the Hoo’s tied it at the half.

** GAME ON!

Absolutely said the same thing last night. It wasn't just the offense and shooting, but almost every possession they played with purpose and executed. LOL....I even remarked, holy hell this is the 2003 Pitt team, only they can shoot!!!!!

But defense and rebounding were excellent. Even the much maligned skinny, foreign bigs played well and played smart.

I said we needed "Good Blake" to win. We got "Great Blake".

I don't agree with Boeheim on much, but completely agree there should be more weight given on the last 20-25 games rather than the first. Especially in this era, because teams in February are much different now than November.

And that is Pitt. As good as Bubs was, when he hit his first real P5 competition, he was taken aback a bit and was pushed around. But he has adjusted and now is still the great player he was to start.

But the biggest difference is Jeland Lowe. Since he has entered the lineup he has been one of the better guards in the ACC. Period. And getting better and better.

Which has allowed Ish to come off the bench, also Ish was banged up earlier in the season.

I really hope things go well, I would love to see this team make the tourney. They can beat anyone if they are shooting well.

At halftime, I posted in the game thread that we had 5 turnovers and were down 15-14 in rebounding. I thought both numbers were pretty solid and felt good about winning if we'd stay in the same vicinity.

Pitt had 3 turnovers in the 2nd half and outrebounded UVA by 11. Winning basketball.

Last two seasons

It's Jimmys and Joes example number infinity

You can't develop guys who can't be developed, whatever the reason

Up and down the roster last season and this one, simply better all-around players, often by laaaaaaarge margins, than the guys in their roles a few years ago
Speaking of guys who can’t be developed, X is in his 6th year and is averaging 8 pts, 2 rebounds,2 assists, and 2 turnovers. Remember when he was going to the NBA after his freshman year?

I didn’t see the first half last night.

Was it a matchup thing that limited Will to just three minutes for the entire game?

I didn’t see the first half last night.

Was it a matchup thing that limited Will to just three minutes for the entire game?
Not sure. The only "big" inside scorer for UVA was Dunn (#13), and Fede was more of a need for blocking shots and adding length. Since Will rarely scores (or looks for a shot) I don't think he was needed last night

Reactions: PittAU

Absolutely said the same thing last night. It wasn't just the offense and shooting, but almost every possession they played with purpose and executed. LOL....I even remarked, holy hell this is the 2003 Pitt team, only they can shoot!!!!!

But defense and rebounding were excellent. Even the much maligned skinny, foreign bigs played well and played smart.

I said we needed "Good Blake" to win. We got "Great Blake".

I don't agree with Boeheim on much, but completely agree there should be more weight given on the last 20-25 games rather than the first. Especially in this era, because teams in February are much different now than November.

And that is Pitt. As good as Bubs was, when he hit his first real P5 competition, he was taken aback a bit and was pushed around. But he has adjusted and now is still the great player he was to start.

But the biggest difference is Jeland Lowe. Since he has entered the lineup he has been one of the better guards in the ACC. Period. And getting better and better.

Which has allowed Ish to come off the bench, also Ish was banged up earlier in the season.

I really hope things go well, I would love to see this team make the tourney. They can beat anyone if they are shooting well.
"I don't agree with Boeheim on much, but completely agree there should be more weight given on the last 20-25 games rather than the first. Especially in this era, because teams in February are much different now than November."

Yes. Agree. He is correct about this. However, there is not a good way to compare the strengths of the various leagues after the early season because there are too many in-conference games from mid-December on.

IMHO, to fix the comparison of conferences problem requires conferences limiting in-conference games to no more than 15-16 to create the opportunity for P5 OOC games to be played -- including at least some some in January-February and for teams who would only add more "cupcakes" to their OOC schedule a post season eligibility penalty of some sort.

Reactions: latz66
"I don't agree with Boeheim on much, but completely agree there should be more weight given on the last 20-25 games rather than the first. Especially in this era, because teams in February are much different now than November."

Yes. Agree. He is correct about this. However, there is not a good way to compare the strengths of the various leagues after the early season because there are too many in-conference games from mid-December on.

IMHO, to fix the comparison of conferences problem requires conferences limiting in-conference games to no more than 15-16 to create the opportunity for P5 OOC games to be played -- including at least some some in January-February and for teams who would only add more "cupcakes" to their OOC schedule a post season eligibility penalty of some sort.
That gets harder and harder as the conferences get bigger and bigger.

One other thing. If we are now basing qualification strictly on a math formula fed into a computer, then we don't need a selection committee. I still believe human analysis has room and benefit in sports. AKA "the eye test".

Not sure. The only "big" inside scorer for UVA was Dunn (#13), and Fede was more of a need for blocking shots and adding length. Since Will rarely scores (or looks for a shot) I don't think he was needed last night
Dunn can't score. He didn't even take a shot against FSU. I think he had 1 point. He might hit a turn around jumper on occasion, but most of his points are going to come on put backs or cutting to the basket when a defender is caught giving help.

Fede can catch and go up strong... And by strong, I mean he can dunk a ball if he's uncontested.

Speaking of guys who can’t be developed, X is in his 6th year and is averaging 8 pts, 2 rebounds,2 assists, and 2 turnovers. Remember when he was going to the NBA after his freshman year?

Another great victory by me. BballinsiderfromPitt was saying how great he was. I said he will never be the starting PG on an NCAAT team. He squeaked into Dayton, beat a scrub Mountain West team and then got pounded by 30 by St. Mary's. So I'm counting it.

Another great victory by me. BballinsiderfromPitt was saying how great he was. I said he will never be the starting PG on an NCAAT team. He squeaked into Dayton, beat a scrub Mountain West team and then got pounded by 30 by St. Mary's. So I'm counting it.
Was he the starting PG?

If he was, you just typed a lot of words to tell us you were wrong.

I totally agree that last nights game was far and away the best game this team has played this season. Maybe the best any JC team has played .

They never backed down and they looked like the better team the entire game against a good team on the road .

One thing no one has mentioned is that Blake took the ball to the hoop better than I ever saw him do before .

Bringing Ish off the bench gives Pitt a boost , he’s this yrs Nike .

As long as NIL money doesn’t destroy college bb I think JC era of Pitt bb has turned the corner
2022 he was. Not sure about this year but they aint making it.

Can you imagine if the NFL only had one year contracts and no salary cap. Welcome to the NIL world!

No I was not. I was saying he was better than Femi Odukale. So thank you for bringing up your great loss, actually. Smart not tagging me in hopes I wouldn’t see it. XJ still much better than Femi ever was when this entire board told me Femi was magic Johnson Jr

No I was not. I was saying he was better than Femi Odukale. So thank you for bringing up your great loss, actually. Smart not tagging me in hopes I wouldn’t see it. XJ still much better than Femi ever was when this entire board told me Femi was magic Johnson Jr

Femi is better. He's averaging 11 and 6 for a New Mexico State team who could win the CUSA Tournament and get in while Xavier Johnson is filing for Social Security after he's bounced from the NIT. Johnson blows. Big time. I'd take Femi back as a bench player if he accepted his role.

Femi is better. He's averaging 11 and 6 for a New Mexico State team who could win the CUSA Tournament and get in while Xavier Johnson is filing for Social Security after he's bounced from the NIT. Johnson blows. Big time. I'd take Femi back as a bench player if he accepted his role.
Femi went to the right level for him. Always said he was a MM kid. 3rd time is a charm for him. Although NMSU is a LM now. Thank you for bringing up another all time win I had over you. I have so many I completely forgot this one. Again, many thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT