ADVERTISEMENT

VMI Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Good Evening my fellow Panther Hoop fans!

** Lots to like watching the Panthers this evening. And accordingly, the PantherLair message boards have been a much nicer place to hang out over the last week or so. That’s certainly a welcome, welcome change from the last several years or so.

** I’ve read plenty of positive postulations concerning our Panther's prospects for this season.

** And why not? Two nice wins can do that for you. And like I said, that’s a welcome change.

** There was nary a negative aspect one could notice this night. Our men played a very solid game on both ends of the court.

** In fact, the only downer one could truly offer was the quality of the opponent. VMI is pretty terrible. And beyond them being terrible, they shot terribly too.

** At least four of VMI’s 20 missed three attempts failed to catch iron. And it was nothing but air on a handful of short jumpers too.

** This isn’t to say that the Good Guys didn’t play hard on defense. They did. But I can’t say soundly that the Bad Guys offensive ineputitude was caused mostly from our defensive prowess.

** And while it was splendid seeing our men sink 13 of 25 from beyond the arc, also realize that the Keydets did a terrible job closing on shooters. Heck, more often than not, it didn’t even appear that the even tried to close on deep shooters.

** But that’s enough caution for the moment. I’ll counter by remembering how we often struggled against teams of this caliber last year, even a few team less than this caliber.

** Not for a second was this game a struggle. And this was mostly because of two men who weren’t around last year – Mr. Johnson and Mr. Toney.

** Xavier is making a case that he’s a little more ready to go than the average freshman. Beyond that, he looked more like a point guard than I saw from him previously. I’ll remember though that he is a freshman and he will have struggles against better teams with tougher defenders. Nonetheless, he’s ahead of schedule.

** As impressive as X was, I thought Au’Diese was even better. He looks to be a guy I underestimated coming into this season. Knowing that he reclassed to get here this year, I figured he might help during this campaign, but he would need to more time to be truly ready.

** Based on what he brought tonight, he’s surely ready now. Sure, he’s going to have some rough nights when he’ll need to go against some bigger and stronger threes and fours in the ACC. But before this season is done, I don’t think it’s hyperbole to suggest that both he and X will be in the mix for All-ACC freshman team honors. And in a couple of years, it could even be All-ACC honors for which they might contend.

** We’ll have to see if Trey can join their ranks this year. It’s too early to say one way or another, and games like this with lower production are to be expected for almost any freshman.

** The Panthers offense was fueled by JWF of course. His shot selection was not at all an issue, as he was taking and making wide open ones. But we already know Jared can do this. What he’ll need to prove is how he performs when he isn’t getting wide open ones.

** I hope that the few extra minutes Shamiel garnered down the stretch help his confidence. More that any other Panther player, it feels like he’s still thinking instead of playing.

** The only negative I can offer about Sidy N’Dir is that the Panther’s might have been much better served if he could have somehow magically been here as a 5th year transfer two years ago. I can’t help but to wonder what that team could have achieved with him running the point.

** A fellow poster suggested this evening that we could contend for the NIT if we had a serviceable big. I’ll agree with that half way, in that the combo of Peace, Kene and Terrell still have not demonstrated that they add up to one serviceable big.

** I have to say that I really do like how Kene plays, even if his results don’t match his on-court disposition. And Peace shoots fouls superbly for a big. But we still have quite a way to go in the post.

** And I believe that’s still the reality for this team at the moment. They too have quite a way to go. I wish I could agree that we are a serviceable big away from contending for the NIT, but I can’t. Not this year, anyway.

** Another poster earlier this week suggested that if this team still had Cam and Ryan that he believed we would be a borderline Top 25 team. Again, while I truly appreciate the positive vibe, that assessment seems at least 25 spots too high too me.

** But throwing caution to the optimism doesn’t mean for a moment that I don’t like what I’m seeing. This was a nice night of basketball, with a team and a program that now truly feels like it’s moving in the right direction.

** Allow me only to preach patience, because even though we are now moving in the right direction, we cannot forget that the starting point is quite a bit further back than we may want to remember.

** Good luck to the Panthers on the Gridiron tomorrow. #winthecoastal

Well said DT. Biggest difference between last year and this year 2 games in (and there are many) is that fans are generally excited by what they see.

Bigs will be a problem throughout the year we all know that. Kene is probably the best we got. Brown I still think has potential but is not where we need him to be. And I’m sorry but I could sit in a room for 8 hours with no windows and not come up with one thing Peace does well. Poor instincts, brick hands, no touch. When it’s a tough opponent and it’s close, he’s in there if someone is in foul trouble. That’s it. All bigs have size that’s why they are called bigs. He’s got nothing else.

No doubt this offense is based around quick rotations and slashing to the hoop. 3s are not a necessity but man when you’ve got a few guys hot it can really help open that up. All of them were hitting tonight it seemed like but no doubt for the duration of the season Frame will be our most important shot from beyond the arc.

Love X’s game and can’t wait to see him develop even more.

Well said DT. Biggest difference between last year and this year 2 games in (and there are many) is that fans are generally excited by what they see.

Bigs will be a problem throughout the year we all know that. Kene is probably the best we got. Brown I still think has potential but is not where we need him to be. And I’m sorry but I could sit in a room for 8 hours with no windows and not come up with one thing Peace does well. Poor instincts, brick hands, no touch. When it’s a tough opponent and it’s close, he’s in there if someone is in foul trouble. That’s it. All bigs have size that’s why they are called bigs. He’s got nothing else.

No doubt this offense is based around quick rotations and slashing to the hoop. 3s are not a necessity but man when you’ve got a few guys hot it can really help open that up. All of them were hitting tonight it seemed like but no doubt for the duration of the season Frame will be our most important shot from beyond the arc.

Love X’s game and can’t wait to see him develop even more.
Au contraire for Peace -- as I noted his work from the foul line!

Au contraire for Peace -- as I noted his work from the foul line!
0-3 in game 1 including 2 missed front ends of 1 and 1 opportunities I believe.

2-2 tonight.

50% about where he belongs. I want them to go in, just don’t always expect it. Hey, if all that’s left for me to complain about is Peace’s charity stripe, I think that’s a success!!!

Last edited:

2-2 tonight.

60% about where he belongs. I want them to go in, just don’t always expect it. Hey, if all that’s left for me to complain about is Peace’s charity stripe, I think that’s a success!!!

Your point is well taken, but he looked really good shooting them tonight.

2-2 tonight.

50% about where he belongs. I want them to go in, just don’t always expect it. Hey, if all that’s left for me to complain about is Peace’s charity stripe, I think that’s a success!!!

6-12 last year, so 8-17 .471 as a collegian. However that is an awfully small sample size.

Cam or Luther or both would be nice to have. But i like where pitt is at right now, and i’m Not sure there would be as much optimism surrounding the program if there was were one of two very good P5 players on a roster that is otherwise young or not too talented or both.

I guess what i’m Trying to say is that it can be fun knowing that a team is going to live or die due to untested youth.

Reactions: freddietee511
Also, if we are talking peace and fouls, i am not interested in his free thow %....one of my favorite stats of all time is peace’s 13.2 fouls per 40 minutes last season.

Your point is well taken, but he looked really good shooting them tonight.
He was gripping the ball properly and had better form tonight. The other night he was just grabbing the ball and shooting it without the laces and did not follow through. I would bet the staff worked with him on this.

I am also coming around to thinking Peace might be a serviceable backup interior player at some point in his career. He has some athletic ability, and works hard.

Reactions: 4upmc
He was gripping the ball properly and had better form tonight. The other night he was just grabbing the ball and shooting it without the laces and did not follow through. I would bet the staff worked with him on this.

I am also coming around to thinking Peace might be a serviceable backup interior player at some point in his career. He has some athletic ability, and works hard.

My guess is this was due to O’Toole. I was happy when he was hired as he really knows the game. He was only about 500% as a head coach and is not a great recruiter compared to others on the staff (big reason why he did not win more as a head coach). But we don’t need that from him as the other assistants can recruit and JC is a great recruiter as we know.

What O’Toole brings is teaching and X’s and O’s. That’s why JC made him the 1st hire. He is very good as a developmental coach. Guys he works with get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther

** Lots to like watching the Panthers this evening. And accordingly, the PantherLair message boards have been a much nicer place to hang out over the last week or so. That’s certainly a welcome, welcome change from the last several years or so.

** I’ve read plenty of positive postulations concerning our Panther's prospects for this season.

** And why not? Two nice wins can do that for you. And like I said, that’s a welcome change.

** There was nary a negative aspect one could notice this night. Our men played a very solid game on both ends of the court.

** In fact, the only downer one could truly offer was the quality of the opponent. VMI is pretty terrible. And beyond them being terrible, they shot terribly too.

** At least four of VMI’s 20 missed three attempts failed to catch iron. And it was nothing but air on a handful of short jumpers too.

** This isn’t to say that the Good Guys didn’t play hard on defense. They did. But I can’t say soundly that the Bad Guys offensive ineputitude was caused mostly from our defensive prowess.

** And while it was splendid seeing our men sink 13 of 25 from beyond the arc, also realize that the Keydets did a terrible job closing on shooters. Heck, more often than not, it didn’t even appear that the even tried to close on deep shooters.

** But that’s enough caution for the moment. I’ll counter by remembering how we often struggled against teams of this caliber last year, even a few team less than this caliber.

** Not for a second was this game was a struggle. And this was mostly because of two men who weren’t around last year – Mr. Johnson and Mr. Toney.

** Xavier is making a case that he’s a little more ready to go than the average freshman. Beyond that, he looked more like a point guard than I saw from him previously. I’ll remember though that he is a freshman and he will have struggles against better teams with tougher defenders. Nonetheless, he’s ahead of schedule.

** As impressive as X was, I thought Au’Diese was even better. He looks to be a guy I underestimated coming into this season. Knowing that he reclassed to get here this year, I figured he might help during this campaign, but he would need to more time to be truly ready.

** Based on what he brought tonight, he’s surely ready now. Sure, he’s going to have some rough nights when he’ll need to go against some bigger and stronger threes and fours in the ACC. But before this season is done, I don’t think it’s hyperbole to suggest that both he and X will be in the mix for All-ACC freshman team honors. And in a couple of years, it could even be All-ACC honors for which they might contend.

** We’ll have to see if Trey can join their ranks this year. It’s too early to say one way or another, and games like this with lower production are to be expected for almost any freshman.

** The Panthers offense was fueled by JWF of course. His shot selection was not at all an issue, as he was taking and making wide open ones. But we already know Jared can do this. What he’ll need to prove is how he performs when he isn’t getting wide open ones.

** I hope that the few extra minutes Shamiel garnered down the stretch help his confidence. More that any other Panther player, it feels like he’s still thinking instead of playing.

** The only negative I can offer about Sidy N’Dir is that the Panther’s might have been much better served if he could have somehow magically been here as a 5th year transfer two years ago. I can’t help but to wonder what that team could have achieved with him running the point.

** A fellow poster suggested this evening that we could contend for the NIT if we had a serviceable big. I’ll agree with that half way, in that the combo of Peace, Kene and Terrell still have not demonstrated that they add up to one serviceable big.

** I have to say that I really do like how Kene plays, even if his results don’t match his on-court disposition. And Peace shoots fouls superbly for a big. But we still have quite a way to go in the post.

** And I believe that’s still the reality for this team at the moment. They too have quite a way to go. I wish I could agree that we are a serviceable big away from contending for the NIT, but I can’t. Not this year, anyway.

** Another poster earlier this week suggested that if this team still had Cam and Ryan that he believed we would be a borderline Top 25 team. Again, while I truly appreciate the positive vibe, that assessment seems at least 25 spots too high too me.

** But throwing caution to the optimism doesn’t mean for a moment that I don’t like what I’m seeing. This was a nice night of basketball, with a team and a program that now truly feels like it’s moving in the right direction.

** Allow me only to preach patience, because even though we are now moving in the right direction, we cannot forget that the starting point is quite a bit further back than we may want to remember.

I really like listening to Coach Capel’s press conference. I could play for him. I never felt that way listening to Dixon or Stallings. Listen to JWF and what he says is all you need to know. Hope going forward? Just a good vibe but please remember we are young and have really no inside presence yet.

Inside could be a struggle but I also have faith in HCJC to figure out how the team manages in that reality. Listening to his post game show is a breath of fresh air. Articulate. To the point. Not tossing anyone under the bus. Informative. If you can’t play for this guy it says a lot about you.

I don’t know exactly what lies ahead but there will be no teams in the ACC marking their date against us as an automatic win.

Inside could be a struggle but I also have faith in HCJC to figure out how the team manages in that reality. Listening to his post game show is a breath of fresh air. Articulate. To the point. Not tossing anyone under the bus. Informative. If you can’t play for this guy it says a lot about you.

I don’t know exactly what lies ahead but there will be no teams in the ACC marking their date against us as an automatic win.
Very impressed with Toney. Nice all around game.
Left handed. Wears #5. Slight resemblance to anyone from the past?

Did you watch Duke annihilate Ky

Great to see the Dribbles!

I really enjoyed the intensity with which the team played. And as others have noted, I’m not sure Pitt has had this many athletes who also have basketball sense. That bodes well for the future.

There will be some rough patches, but I hope fans support this team. I’m seeing a vision for the program that was absent in previous years.

I think it was really impressive that we scored 99 points tonight without much of a contribution from arguably our most talented player in McGowens.

Xavier Johnson is better than I thought.

A'diese Toney also is, looks like he could be really good.

What is nice about this trio, is they, are not NBA type of talents yet, if at all, so they should be here for at least 3 years and will develop and get better and better.

Agree on McGowens — he made a play against YSU that really impressed me. He was driving to the hoop and went up for the shot when a defender slammed into him head on — full body to fully body. The impact literally stopped McGowens in mid air — but as the defender fell away, somehow McGowens kept his vertical posture and calmly sank a short shot before coming back to earth.

Somehow no foul was called, maybe because McGowens handled the collision so well.

I was amazed by his body-control and his composure... Looks like he will be very good.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: blazerplayer1717

** Not for a second was this game was a struggle. And this was mostly because of two men who weren’t around last year – Mr. Johnson and Mr. Toney.

Agree with almost all you had to say.

Team looked much smoother and under control than the first half of the first game.

I really like that we are active on defense.

Having Frame back and knocking down threes surely helped.

Toney looks like the real deal.

I thought Peace played well in both games, Kene was better in the first game. Brown playing 8 MPG.

Only caution: We have played teams in weaker leagues. Teams picked at the very bottom or next to the bottom in those leagues.

Troy is picked 7th in their league. They were 6th last season and finished around .500. They have a lot returning.

Troy will be a better test.

Last edited:
Agree with almost all you had to say.

Team looked much smoother and under control than the first half of the first game.

I really like that we are active on defense.

Having Frame back and knocking down threes surely helped.

Toney looks like the real deal.

I thought Peace played well in both games, Kene was better in the first game. Brown playing 8 MPG.

Only caution: We have played teams in weaker leagues. Teams picked at the very bottom or next to the bottom in those leagues.

Troy is picked 7th in their league. They were 6th last season and finished around .500. They have a lot returning.

Troy will be a better test.
But look at it this way, we had very few of any games like this last year.

Reactions: jfk6668

@DT_PITT We briefly dialogued about Kham after the YSU game, when you said you were a bit disappointed. I thought he was very good last night. You? Gonna be an absolutely terrific defender as a junior and senior, starting to gain confidence shooting the three, and had a couple of terrific dishes.

@DT_PITT We briefly dialogued about Kham after the YSU game, when you said you were a bit disappointed. I thought he was very good last night. You? Gonna be an absolutely terrific defender as a junior and senior, starting to gain confidence shooting the three, and had a couple of terrific dishes.

Please allow me to begin this reply by offering my appreciation of your "curb your enthusiasm" post on Center Court.

I think you can see much of the same tone which I tried to express in my game thoughts as well.

In regards to Kham, during the game I had a very specific thought: "this is likely much closer to the player we've been hearing looks so good in practice!"

I chose not to include this thought in my comments, however, first because of length as I already seemed to have posted well beyond my share.

Just as much though, if not more, was based on the notion of caution that you and I both expressed about the opponent. So yes, Kham played quite well, but how noteworthy was this in actuality knowing the level of the opponent?

More than any other player, I find it difficult to attempt to ascertain just how good I think Kham can be. I don't think the reports of high level play in practice can be dismissed, but neither can the better part of last year when he was largely ineffectual.

Additionally, I've had hope that he can indeed be a terrific defender, but I simply didn't see enough evidence of that last year to be totally on board with the idea. Now in fairness, our defense was so substandard as a team that it was hard to truly judge anyone's specific defensive performance.

Still, if confidence and experience are the biggest factors holding Kham back from being the best player he can be, hopefully he got a nice taste of both last night.

Reactions: hoopsguy72
Can either of you paid board fellas, let me know if you've heard anything interesting on our big guy recruits?

Can either of you paid board fellas, let me know if you've heard anything interesting on our big guy recruits?

Last I heard Akok may not sign with anyone until the spring. I have neither heard nor seen anything on lately on Wahab. Maybe someone else know more--things seem pretty quiet.

Reactions: Drew1208
Also, if we are talking peace and fouls, i am not interested in his free thow %....one of my favorite stats of all time is peace’s 13.2 fouls per 40 minutes last season.
Now you got me thinking. Who was our big guy under Jamie who had the all time record of 3 fouls in one second? Gary McGhee I think.

* I really like Toney as a freshman. Does a little of everything. Nice swing presence for the next few years. I'd love to see him embrace the Sam Young 1000 shots per day regimen next off-season. His game is smooth and if that jumper becomes more consistent, he'd be a real weapon.

* Peace is what he is. As someone (Matt?) said, he plays smaller than he is.
He has improved as a rebounder. Shows better hands catching the ball. But, he wouldn't be in the rotation for many P5 teams. With our roster, he has to be.

*Kene will be over matched but he has improved. Surprising what a little decent coaching can do. Unless somebody can find the key to turn on Brown's motor, Kene will have to get most of the minutes this year.

*Kham will have to be a glue guy, a 3-and -D plug in. Don't see him playing ahead of Toney but Capel will substitute freely to keep everyone fresh. Hopefully his trey is falling if JWF's is not. Gotta have somebody to stretch the D and open lanes for the slashers.

*I haven't even mentioned 4 pretty good guards. After so many years of rarely having even 3 reliable guards, we have 5 or 6. X and Trey are future stars. Sidy would have started last year and Malik is a solid P-5 starter at most schools.

* Adding a couple decent bigs wouldn't guarantee an NIT appearance. But it might make it possible next year. It would be a reasonable goal for what will still be a very young team.

* I really like Toney as a freshman. Does a little of everything. Nice swing presence for the next few years. I'd love to see him embrace the Sam Young 1000 shots per day regimen next off-season. His game is smooth and if that jumper becomes more consistent, he'd be a real weapon.

* Peace is what he is. As someone (Matt?) said, he plays smaller than he is.
He has improved as a rebounder. Shows better hands catching the ball. But, he wouldn't be in the rotation for many P5 teams. With our roster, he has to be.

*Kene will be over matched but he has improved. Surprising what a little decent coaching can do. Unless somebody can find the key to turn on Brown's motor, Kene will have to get most of the minutes this year.

*Kham will have to be a glue guy, a 3-and -D plug in. Don't see him playing ahead of Toney but Capel will substitute freely to keep everyone fresh. Hopefully his trey is falling if JWF's is not. Gotta have somebody to stretch the D and open lanes for the slashers.

*I haven't even mentioned 4 pretty good guards. After so many years of rarely having even 3 reliable guards, we have 5 or 6. X and Trey are future stars. Sidy would have started last year and Malik is a solid P-5 starter at most schools.

* Adding a couple decent bigs wouldn't guarantee an NIT appearance. But it might make it possible next year. It would be a reasonable goal for what will still be a very young team.

A new beginning for Pitt hoops = a new beginning for Harve?

Welcome back.

A new beginning for Pitt hoops = a new beginning for Harve?

Welcome back.
I'm still gonna try to restrict my posting. I was spending way too much time and getting too wrapped up. But, these kids are fun to watch. And Capel has shown slready he can coach 'em up some.

I kept my donations up. Now, I might have to buy tix again. So far, I've been lucky enough that a buddy, CCHS82, has given me his extras. Thanks.

Reactions: billstadt
I'm still gonna try to restrict my posting. I was spending way too much time and getting too wrapped up. But, these kids are fun to watch. And Capel has shown slready he can coach 'em up some.

I kept my donations up. Now, I might have to buy tix again. So far, I've been lucky enough that a buddy, CCHS82, has given me his extras. Thanks.

See you tonight?

I have a ticket for tonight and Thursday. My buddy's wife has been traveling and he's been kind enough to give me the extra ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT