ADVERTISEMENT

What I think I believe today

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
After only one Pitt game that I watched and checking the other ACC scores and then a night's sleep; here is what I think I believe---

About the ACC--

(1) Pitt is at least as strong as last season--maybe even better
(2) UNC is not improved over last year
(3) Louisville may be as bad as last year
(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre
(5) The rest of the ACC teams appear about as the pre-season prognosticators have predicted.

About Pitt's players--

(1) Carrington is not a 2 Guard -- although he would play well as either--his best use is as a point guard, IMHO.
(2) Lowe will need time to settle down. When he does he can effectively back-up Carrington at point and give Carrington some time at the 2.
(3) The twins do look stronger and more confident and should contribute more this year.
(4) Fede looks about the same as last year; but perhaps a bit more confident.
(5) Austin doesn't need to shoot the 3-ball (even if he didn't last night) -- there are enough 3-ball shooters to let him primarily be a slasher on offense.

A defensive dream--

Personally like the defensive possibility of going really really big very occasionally; a useful tool for Capel to have in his back pocket, IMHO. Imagine a Boeheim zone (played as a change of pace in a game to disrupt an opponent's offense) with Fede in the middle, a twin to either side and Carrington and Austin with their length smothering the opposing guards. Boeheim would be drooling over such a prospect.

After only one Pitt game that I watched and checking the other ACC scores and then a night's sleep; here is what I think I believe---

About the ACC--

(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre
(5) The rest of the ACC teams appear about as the pre-season prognosticators have predicted.

About Pitt's players--

(1) Carrington is not a 2 Guard -- although he would play well as either--his best use is as a point guard, IMHO.
(2) Lowe will need time to settle down. When he does he can effectively back-up Carrington at point and give Carrington some time at the 2.
(3) The twins do look stronger and more confident and should contribute more this year.
(5) Austin doesn't need to shoot the 3-ball (even if he didn't last night) -- there are enough 3-ball shooters to let him primarily be a slasher on offense.

A defensive dream--

Personally like the defensive possibility of going really really big very occasionally; a useful tool for Capel to have in his back pocket, IMHO. Imagine a Boeheim zone (played as a change of pace in a game to disrupt an opponent's offense) with Fede in the middle, a twin to either side and Carrington and Austin with their length smothering the opposing guards. Boeheim would be drooling over such a prospect.

That last possibility would be a whole lot of fun to watch in a zone. The takeaways would be numerous.

About the ACC--

(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre

About Pitt's players--

A defensive dream--

Interesting thoughts - I enjoyed reading — thank you.

Switch Blake for Zach and I’ll join you for your defensive dream!

Reactions: MVPitt

About the ACC--

(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre

About Pitt's players--

A defensive dream--

I pretty much agree. UNC struggling for most of the game with Radford is a real concern. I was actually impressed ND won. They are supposed to be really bad. Louisville has to be better than last year. That was one of the worst P6 teams of all time. I think they'll win 4 or 5 non-cons and maybe go 4-16. I dont know how bad you have to be to allow UMBC to drop 92 on you. Last year, they were one of the least disciplined team on D I've ever seen and not sure that's changed.

I do think the league should be better this year.

About the ACC--

(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre

About Pitt's players--

A defensive dream--

Your defensive dream is going to become closer to reality imo when Papa Kante is ready to go. The pure physicalness and motor combination of Kante is something no other player on our team really brings to the table with all due respect to everyone else. It stinks we don't have him right now.

A defensive dream--

I too am interested in how they will play a 2/3 when they play it this year.

Thanks for the thoughts

About the ACC--

(3) Notre Dame is weak
(4) Syracuse is mediocre

About Pitt's players--

A defensive dream--

Nice post. I think Bub looks like he could play the 1, 2, or 3. He's a weapon at the point and they need him there. I was impressed with his stroke and composure. Has a better handle than I expected.

I also think they're likely better than last year, but still wish we had another guard a step above Hueitt.

I think Bub looks like he could play the 1, 2, or 3. He's a weapon at the point and they need him there. I was impressed with his stroke and composure. Has a better handle than I expected.
He's better than I expected. Vader has been talking him up for along time, but I wanted
to see him myself in real time. His poise and overall court awareness are exceptional,
and even more so considering he's a freshman.

Last edited:
What I see is a team that has confidence. Seems like there are a lot more guys who can contribute even if in limited ways…but…Jeff has to move those pieces at the right time. I agree we are as good as last year but likely will be better at end of season. I think Hubert is on a hot seat right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT