ADVERTISEMENT

Who's better Murphy or Luther?

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
Just curious what you guys think. I know it was only 1 game but Murphy really impressed me. I also think Luther grew as a player with us and then Arizona but I'd still take Murphy.

Murphy also is going bald? His hair seemed quite thin on the back shots. Yes weird detail, but all the more reason he probably tries to up his game.
MJ, Kevin Durant, LeBron, Manu Ginobili... hell yeah (just the first few balding ballers that came to mind).

If it was out of conference Nichols state yes, overreaction. But this was a legit top 25 FSU team. Kid can ball. Reminds me of Jeremy Lin hype.

Murphy is an odd bird. Not sure I’m a fan yet. He has a game that this team need though.
This. He played well offensively but was almost non existent defensively. Late in the game they should be going offense defense between him and Toney or someone with some length it was like he wasn’t even out there despite having a hand up on shots! Just too small with him Trey and X on floor at end of game on defensive side IMHO

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Murphy is an odd bird. Not sure I’m a fan yet. He has a game that this team need though.
Odd Bird? How so? I liked watching him play, he draws attention, opens the floor, etc. We always needed this kind of guy, whether he's good on D or not.

Reactions: TreesHero
This. He played well offensively but was almost non existent defensively. Late in the game they should be going offense defense between him and Toney or someone with some length it was like he wasn’t even out there despite having a hand up on shots! Just too small with him Trey and X on floor at end of game on defensive side IMHO

Trade off to wanting his FT shooting ability out there, IMHO.

Reactions: Pitt79
I loved the win as well as the fight in the team. It is a bit premature to assume anything going forward except that the team will fight to the end. Go Pitt!!

I'm just glad he plays for Pitt. I'd be forced to hate him if he was on another ACC team. Seems like a Syracuse or ND kind of guy.

Murphy has the stroke of a Jason Maile with the chutzpah of a Yuri Demetrius or maybe a Griffin Abel. Luther on the other hand blended the physicality of a Chad Varga with the glue-guy savvy of a Levon Kendall. Wish they both had the size of an Aaron Gray or had the intensity that Steven Adams inherited from his father's side of the family.

Off the top of my head though I can't think of any other Pitt players from the past 30 years whose games are at all similar to Luther or Murphy ;)

why do you feel compelled to compare them? Oh yeah, I get it the two white guys. Pathetic and racist.

Maile was a bit taller and mostly just a perimeter shooter.
Murph has more game ...
Maile also had a very high basketball IQ from what I recall. He was a very good player.

I still have no idea why anyone is comparing Murphy to anyone. He really doesn’t look like or have the exact same skill set as anyone I can think of from before.

And he has played one game!!! He may be great or average. Who knows. Let’s see how consistently good he is first can we?

Maile also had a very high basketball IQ from what I recall. He was a very good player.

I still have no idea why anyone is comparing Murphy to anyone. He really doesn’t look like or have the exact same skill set as anyone I can think of from before.

And he has played one game!!! He may be great or average. Who knows. Let’s see how consistently good he is first can we?
Right, if he goes 0-5 next game, who do we compare him to then?

Reactions: rockypanther
Murph has energy and enthusiasm, on the hand the whole does as well. Going to be a very interesting year. Great win last night.

Murphy has the stroke of a Jason Maile with the chutzpah of a Yuri Demetrius or maybe a Griffin Abel. Luther on the other hand blended the physicality of a Chad Varga with the glue-guy savvy of a Levon Kendall. Wish they both had the size of an Aaron Gray or had the intensity that Steven Adams inherited from his father's side of the family.

Off the top of my head though I can't think of any other Pitt players from the past 30 years whose games are at all similar to Luther or Murphy ;)
who was better. Brian Brush or Pat Cavanaugh?

If it was out of conference Nichols state yes, overreaction. But this was a legit top 25 FSU team. Kid can ball. Reminds me of Jeremy Lin hype.

Jeremy Lin had every sports network and two countries on full notice. It's nothing like Jeremy Lin hype lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT