ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Beer You Ever Drank

Wow. So many. One sticks out.

Mickey's Big Mouth. Wait.....it gets better.....as a 16 year old, stealing some Mickey's Big Mouth from one of our parents, then burying it in the ground at an empty lot outside of the woods at the end of the street. Then digging it up a week later and drinking it. The worst.
You had to hide your beer in the city woods, other younger kids would steal it.
Unreal how things used to be..

Meisterbrau
Milwaukee’s best
A micro brew I think from homestead tasted like deer balogni
I could drink old German bottles

Reactions: BillyWestFan
As the newly elected Treasurer of my fraternity at the end of my sophomore year, it was my duty to negotiate directly with the breweies for a new beer contract for the next school year for our tap system in our fraternity house. I was only 20 years old (not legally allowed to drink). The way it worked, we sign a contract directly with the brewery for a set price and any of their distributors would have to honor that price when we called in an order for delivery.

So I go to the Iron City plant in Lawrenceville and meet in a fancy, wood-paneled conference room with their Sales Manager.

He said he could sell us a half keg of beer for $17 each for all of next year. I balked and replied, I have $13 half keg in my budget. His response was that his best bars in town pay $17, but he would throw in some free neon signs to decorate our bar with. I replied, $13. He said, "No." I said that "Iron City wasn't good tasting enough to pay $17 and I'll seek a better deal with a better beer elsewhere...good day!"

Long story short, Schaefer Brewing Co. from Baltimore wanted to break into the Pittsburgh market. They were more than happy to contract us for $12 per half keg.

Plus they gave us a ton of free T-shirts, free windbreaker jackets, free plastic beer cups for the entire year with their logo on it, free neon signs & tap handles plus hundreds of free frisbees to pass out to other fraternities and sororities.

And Schaefer was a better tasting beer too! ;)

As the newly elected Treasurer of my fraternity at the end of my sophomore year, it was my duty to negotiate directly with the breweies for a new beer contract for the next school year for our tap system in our fraternity house. I was only 20 years old (not legally allowed to drink). The way it worked, we sign a contract directly with the brewery for a set price and any of their distributors would have to honor that price when we called in an order for delivery.

So I go to the Iron City plant in Lawrenceville and meet in a fancy, wood-paneled conference room with their Sales Manager.

He said he could sell us a half keg of beer for $17 each for all of next year. I balked and replied, I have $13 half keg in my budget. His response was that his best bars in town pay $17, but he would throw in some free neon signs to decorate our bar with. I replied, $13. He said, "No." I said that "Iron City wasn't good tasting enough to pay $17 and I'll seek a better deal with a better beer elsewhere...good day!"

Long story short, Schaefer Brewing Co. from Baltimore wanted to break into the Pittsburgh market. They were more than happy to contract us for $12 per half keg.

Plus they gave us a ton of free T-shirts, free windbreaker jackets, free plastic beer cups for the entire year with their logo on it, free neon signs & tap handles plus hundreds of free frisbees to pass out to other fraternities and sororities.

And Schaefer was a better tasting beer too! ;)
In my fraternity we called kegs "roses" .

While at Pitt some guys in the towers put our money together and bought

Tech
Olympia club
Old frashinshlas(?)

all for $10....yeah yeah I am old

A case of Old Dutch ("the Good Beer") was $4.99 at University Beverage Center (a.k.a UBC) in 1987.

Reactions: BFo8
First time I ever got busted coming home buzzed from my parents, had to be Beast Light.
That beer is big footish now. ---seldom seen----

How is Straub's? I had it probably about 20 years ago but I can't remember the taste. I saw a case of cans the other day and forgot they still make it. What's it compare to?

Among the worse from high school days: Bergheim (a Reading Beer), Valley Forge Tavern Beer & Sunshine Premium. All cheap and easy to get! When I first arrived at Pitt, I was surprised how many guys thought Schmidts was a "great beer" . . . it was certainly no better than Iron City or Duquesne.

Last edited:
Wow. So many. One sticks out.

Mickey's Big Mouth. Wait.....it gets better.....as a 16 year old, stealing some Mickey's Big Mouth from one of our parents, then burying it in the ground at an empty lot outside of the woods at the end of the street. Then digging it up a week later and drinking it. The worst.
Blasphemy. Any malt liquor was a coup in my neighborhood. The only bad thing about Micky's was cutting your fingers trying to get the top off.

Beast Ice probably just in terms of quality. Personal choice other than that is Rolling Rock. I can’t stand that beer.

Genny Light and American Light (unofficially the official beer of America).

Love Iron City and IC Light -- Pittsburgh ambrosia IMO.

I have drank plenty of crap beer. I can’t say which was worst because I was having fun and didn’t even realize how bad it was at the time. Having shifted to craft beer now, I had some Hamm’s a year or two back It was rough.

But the worst beer that I ever had was at a local craft brewery. It had a phenolic plastic band aid taste, probably because their water chemistry was off. I couldn’t believe they would actually serve it. What is worse, when I returned for a second visit months later they still hadn’t fixed it.

Highlander (regional)
Butte (local)
Coors (national)
Big Stack (IPA)

Peroni And that’s saying something because I am 100% Italian

Back in the day my buddy (who also is Italian) bought a case of this, his response..."Us Italians should just stick to making wine, cause this sh*t sucks..." lol

Something called Lemon Lager

I swear it tasted like what Palmolive would taste like if I tried it.

This is my vote as well. Anyone remember Beer World locations throughout the area? I remember a big display of this crap with a price of $2.99 a case. Beer for $2.99 a case??? Gotta buy it right...Just as the name states Lemon Lager...beer with probably instant lemonade mixed in...awful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT