ADVERTISEMENT

Yann Farell, 2022 4 star 6'7 Wing Forward

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Rapidly improving wing forward that has been showcasing an arsenal of offensive ability recently for Keystone Prep in Pennsylvania. Was a significant player in the EYBL over the summer with strong numbers then which is why he is a Top 100 recruit now. He is currently showcasing a lot more firepower from 3 point range which was his biggest weakness in the past. Pitt, TCU, St. Johns, West Virginia, Syracuse, Uconn and more involved. Jeff Capel has been up to visit him twice in October and once in September. Averaged 12 points and 6 rebounds per game on 65% shooting and 86% shooting from the line for the NY PSA Cardinals this summer. An official visit should be getting set up. He is a legit talent.

Rapidly improving wing forward that has been showcasing an arsenal of offensive ability recently for Keystone Prep in Pennsylvania. Was a significant player in the EYBL over the summer with strong numbers then which is why he is a Top 100 recruit now. He is currently showcasing a lot more firepower from 3 point range which was his biggest weakness in the past. Pitt, TCU, St. Johns, West Virginia, Syracuse, Uconn and more involved. Jeff Capel has been up to visit him twice in October and once in September. Averaged 12 points and 6 rebounds per game on 65% shooting and 86% shooting from the line for the NY PSA Cardinals this summer. An official visit should be getting set up. He is a legit talent.

No offer tho.

So is it Farrell or Buchanan, or both? And can we expect an early signing commitment?

So is it Farrell or Buchanan, or both? And can we expect an early signing commitment?

I would take both of them. Farell will get the offer on a visit.

There is a respectable chance Buchanan makes a decision early. Farell is not likely to do so. I think we are in a good spot with Buchanan. Farell's recruitment is pretty tight lipped much like Efton Reid's. I can see more schools trying to get involved with Farell.

Buchanan has visited twice recently. Jeff Capel and other staff members have been up to see Farell multiple times recently. If Farell continues to show an outside 3 point perimeter game, he is going to rise significantly in the rankings next spring and the same can be said for Buchanan. Both have major athletic ability and play defense.

I would take both of them. Farell will get the offer on a visit.

There is a respectable chance Buchanan makes a decision early. Farell is not likely to do so. I think we are in a good spot with Buchanan. Farell's recruitment is pretty tight lipped much like Efton Reid's. I can see more schools trying to get involved with Farell.

Buchanan has visited twice recently. Jeff Capel and other staff members have been up to see Farell multiple times recently. If Farell continues to show an outside 3 point perimeter game, he is going to rise significantly in the rankings next spring and the same can be said for Buchanan. Both have major athletic ability and play defense.

Additional new video of Farell against 5 star Justin Edwards.

As mentioned, if he continues to score on all 3 levels, he is going to rise significantly.

Reactions: cabe23 and Drew1208
Additional new video of Farell against 5 star Justin Edwards.

As mentioned, if he continues to score on all 3 levels, he is going to rise significantly.

Jamie Shaw put a cb in for Buchanan to Pitt just now.

I think between now and next spring, there is a very good chance that:

1) Judah Mintz is going to be ranked in the National Top 50 at minimum everywhere which is where I said he should be going back to this July. Through 3 games including the scrimmage against Hargrave Military he's been the best player at Oak Hill so far on a team that features 2 other 5 star players a lone with one headed to Duke and the other Kentucky.

2) I think Buchanan has a very good chance to be right in the Top 150 without an improved jumpshot. He should be in the top 150 now without it. With an improved shot, he could flirt with the top 100 next spring. I am intrigued with what he brings to the table and want to see how big of a senior season he has. He already put together strong play at the CPG fall series last month where a number of scouts have taken notice and when we ramped up our efforts to get him. With his athletic ability which would be arguably the best on our team, he has a lot of potential in the future as a 3 / 4 tweener.

3) Without talking about other recruits for 2022 including a few I already mentioned for reclass, getting Yann Farell with these 2 would be a really, really nice class.

Buchanan:

Last edited:

1) Judah Mintz is going to be ranked in the National Top 50 at minimum everywhere which is where I said he should be going back to this July. Through 3 games including the scrimmage against Hargrave Military he's been the best player at Oak Hill so far on a team that features 2 other 5 star players a lone with one headed to Duke and the other Kentucky.

2) I think Buchanan has a very good chance to be right in the Top 150 without an improved jumpshot. He should be in the top 150 now without it. With an improved shot, he could flirt with the top 100 next spring. I am intrigued with what he brings to the table and want to see how big of a senior season he has. He already put together strong play at the CPG fall series last month where a number of scouts have taken notice and when we ramped up our efforts to get him. With his athletic ability which would be arguably the best on our team, he has a lot of potential in the future as a 3 / 4 tweener.

3) Without talking about other recruits for 2022 including a few I already mentioned for reclass, getting Yann Farell with these 2 would be a really, really nice class.

Buchanan:

That last end to end clip looked alot like Justin Champagnie.

Reactions: cabe23
My big question (and maybe concern?) about Farell is why he transferred from a very well-established program at Brewster to a super new startup basketball school in Erie. Anyone have any insight there?

That last end to end clip looked alot like Justin Champagnie.

These are both from the CBG which just took place and you can see Shaw from rivals.com start to hype him up. If he continues to shoot like this all season like he did here, a large bump in the rankings will follow and he is going to become a major steal. The risk reward here is the development of his shooting, both his 3 point shot and midrange game are the 2 biggest holes in his game. The rebounding, defense, assist to turnover ratio, passing, ball control, and major athletic ability with large wingspan, he has all those tools now. He's like a Toney 2.0 when Toney was in high school at this junction with high upside.

Buchanan:

And with those two, probably another big, the development of Hugley, Femi, and Jeffress, Burton as a senior etc, and the coaching of Capel, that looks and feels like a roster which is going to be picked next year probably like 13th in the ACC. Maybe 12th.

There needs to be a massive, massive culture change within the program. And the fact that we continue to trot out the same staff, year after year, is mind boggling.

Capel has to win, and win big, next year. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that this year will be a disaster, but next year must not only be better than this year, but better than any of the first 4. Anything less will be a total and complete failure.

And with those two, probably another big, the development of Hugley, Femi, and Jeffress, Burton as a senior etc, and the coaching of Capel, that looks and feels like a roster which is going to be picked next year probably like 13th in the ACC. Maybe 12th.

There needs to be a massive, massive culture change within the program. And the fact that we continue to trot out the same staff, year after year, is mind boggling.

Capel has to win, and win big, next year. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that this year will be a disaster, but next year must not only be better than this year, but better than any of the first 4. Anything less will be a total and complete failure.

I think the backcourt of Femi and Horton is going to be quite a bit better than you are anticipating starting in 5 days. That doesn't include Burton or Mintz who's Oak Hill team has been winning games by 50 so far this year with Mintz the driving force in the backcourt. Oak Hill is one of the very few heavy favorites to win the National Title and they are going to pound teams all season long.

The players like Collier, Oladapo, Ezeakudo, Im not high on any of these players. Our backup point guard played almost 13 minutes against Gannon and was a +1 in the game. That would never happen with Burton or Mintz on the floor. He shouldn't even be playing but with Burton out and no Mintz because he isn't here, he did. Femi is going to play heavy minutes this year to offset this.

John Hugley is the biggest key. If he is going to play at a Terrell Brown level like he did against Gannon, then, we are in some serious trouble I agree. I don't expect that to happen at all, and I do predict he will bounce back starting next game. I called for him to be one of the top breakout players in the ACC previously. He has to be much better and the team needs him to be an inside presence. The team had 7 total turnovers and he was responsible for 4 of those. That cant happen any more where one player has over half the entire teams turnovers like he just did.

I am not the biggest Nike Sibande fan as a player. He is a respectable player. Had Burton been healthy, Im not sure Sibande would even be a starter this year over the course of the season. Burton is far better on the defensive end of the basketball and this team will be dependent on defense to win games this year. I predicted Pitt to be in a lot of close games this year, against good teams and bad, because of our defense.

My biggest wildcard preseason was Nate Santos and his shooting ability. As a true freshmen, we are going to get plenty of good looks at him early on. We desperately need his shooting. He has showcased high level shooting both in the past and preseason at Pitt in practice. Now on a far bigger stage as a freshmen, he has to actually make them in real games.

We will see, if any, how much Jeffress improves this year. He should be better than last year, but I'm not offering any prediction of how much.

As for Chris Payton, he had 3 rebounds, 2 points on 1-2 shooting, and 1 assist and 0 turnovers in a little over 8 minutes. As a backup to Gueye, that production was just fine, especially on the glass.

5 days. We'll start to know a lot more in real live action.

As for Buchanan...

He has shown the ability to play at a high level in the past but consistency is the name of the game to be a good or great player. At the DMV live earlier this summer, you can see his name at the top of scoring column over other 4 and 5 star players like Cam Whitmore who just committed to Villanova not long ago. When Buchanan makes shots, he can be really good. He just has to be much better at making them consistently. We'll see what kind of senior season he has. He has the tools to be a real quality player in time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5BtPXVWYAEy6T_?format=jpg&name=medium

I think the backcourt of Femi and Horton is going to be quite a bit better than you are anticipating starting in 5 days. That doesn't include Burton or Mintz who's Oak Hill team has been winning games by 50 so far this year with Mintz the driving force in the backcourt. Oak Hill is one of the very few heavy favorites to win the National Title and they are going to pound teams all season long.

The players like Collier, Oladapo, Ezeakudo, Im not high on any of these players. Our backup point guard played almost 13 minutes against Gannon and was a +1 in the game. That would never happen with Burton or Mintz on the floor. He shouldn't even be playing but with Burton out and no Mintz because he isn't here, he did. Femi is going to play heavy minutes this year to offset this.

John Hugley is the biggest key. If he is going to play at a Terrell Brown level like he did against Gannon, then, we are in some serious trouble I agree. I don't expect that to happen at all, and I do predict he will bounce back starting next game. I called for him to be one of the top breakout players in the ACC previously. He has to be much better and the team needs him to be an inside presence. The team had 7 total turnovers and he was responsible for 4 of those. That cant happen any more where one player has over half the entire teams turnovers like he just did.

I am not the biggest Nike Sibande fan as a player. He is a respectable player. Had Burton been healthy, Im not sure Sibande would even be a starter this year over the course of the season. Burton is far better on the defensive end of the basketball and this team will be dependent on defense to win games this year. I predicted Pitt to be in a lot of close games this year, against good teams and bad, because of our defense.

My biggest wildcard preseason was Nate Santos and his shooting ability. As a true freshmen, we are going to get plenty of good looks at him early on. We desperately need his shooting. He has showcased high level shooting both in the past and preseason at Pitt in practice. Now on a far bigger stage as a freshmen, he has to actually make them in real games.

We will see, if any, how much Jeffress improves this year. He should be better than last year, but I'm not offering any prediction of how much.

As for Chris Payton, he had 3 rebounds, 2 points on 1-2 shooting, and 1 assist and 0 turnovers in a little over 8 minutes. As a backup to Gueye, that production was just fine, especially on the glass.

5 days. We'll start to know a lot more in real live action.

As for Buchanan...

He has shown the ability to play at a high level in the past but consistency is the name of the game to be a good or great player. At the DMV live earlier this summer, you can see his name at the top of scoring column over other 4 and 5 star players like Cam Whitmore who just committed to Villanova not long ago. When Buchanan makes shots, he can be really good. He just has to be much better at making them consistently. We'll see what kind of senior season he has. He has the tools to be a real quality player in time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5BtPXVWYAEy6T_?format=jpg&name=medium
Great, all of that sounds great. But the time for talking needs to stop with the program and it’s time to win. And again, I realize preseason projections mean nothing, but that team you’ve outlined for next year, even with Mintz and Buchanan, is going to be picked bottom 4 in the league. Unless Femi has like some monster year this year (in which case given he’s older he’d leave anyway so what’s the difference?) we aren’t going to be picked that high.

Other teams in this league can spin their own rosters, their own recruiting as well.

And the other thing is some piece that you’ve outlined above, someone you like - Femi, John, Horton, Mintz, Buchanan, Burton etc…one of them, at least, will not be here next year. For what reason, I don’t know. But it’s a metaphysical certainty with this coach and program (and frankly most of college basketball right now) That’s the safest bet in the world, other than a late season Capel collapse which might not come this year only because you can’t really collapse when you are this bad to begin with.

Buchanan:

Okay. Everyone...you got to, MUST, watch the second twitter feed highlight. It is hilarious and definitely make sure the sound is up. Way up! Enjoy.

All great talk and encouraging. But none of it matters until the LOI is signed and the kids are on the court and playing a game for Pitt. For now, we have no one coming to Pitt. That's my attitude until I see the bodies on the court. That's how much I trust these kids and the talk.

Great, all of that sounds great. But the time for talking needs to stop with the program and it’s time to win. And again, I realize preseason projections mean nothing, but that team you’ve outlined for next year, even with Mintz and Buchanan, is going to be picked bottom 4 in the league. Unless Femi has like some monster year this year (in which case given he’s older he’d leave anyway so what’s the difference?) we aren’t going to be picked that high.

Other teams in this league can spin their own rosters, their own recruiting as well.

And the other thing is some piece that you’ve outlined above, someone you like - Femi, John, Horton, Mintz, Buchanan, Burton etc…one of them, at least, will not be here next year. For what reason, I don’t know. But it’s a metaphysical certainty with this coach and program (and frankly most of college basketball right now) That’s the safest bet in the world, other than a late season Capel collapse which might not come this year only because you can’t really collapse when you are this bad to begin with.

Keeping my recruiting thread going.

Jahnathan Lamothe will commit over the next few months, timeline is officially bumped up to late winter in early 2022. Another Team Durant player that is from Queens New York that is a heavy Pitt target. He is Eligible to reclassify. His relationship with the head coach and with the current players will be a heavy factor in his decision. Buchanan would be the 3rd Team Durant commit to Jeff Capel. Lamothe's list cut will be made in December. He is a Top 50-100 National 4 star guard.

Lamothe's teammate Amani Hansberry from Team Durant will be making his 2nd official visit to Pitt in the near future. Hansberry's family is friends with Mintz's. Capel has a heavy focus on these 2 along with Marlon Barnes and Jaylen Curry among others in 2023. We are on the very short list for all 4 and lead for Barnes.

Last edited:
Keeping my recruiting thread going.

Jahnathan Lamothe will commit over the next few months, timeline is officially bumped up to late winter in early 2022. Another Team Durant player that is from Queens New York that is a heavy Pitt target. He is Eligible to reclassify. His relationship with the head coach and with the current players will be a heavy factor in his decision. Buchanan would be the 3rd Team Durant commit to Jeff Capel. Lamothe's list cut will be made in December. He is a Top 50-100 National 4 star guard.

Lamothe's teammate Amani Hansberry from Team Durant will be making his 2nd official visit to Pitt in the near future. Hansberry's family is friends with Mintz's. Capel has a heavy focus on these 2 along with Marlon Barnes and Jaylen Curry among others in 2023. We are on the very short list for all 4 and lead for Barnes.
Was Lamothe the guy PSN had a die hards article about reclassifying?

Reactions: Protes and Drew1208
Was Lamothe the guy PSN had a die hards article about reclassifying?

Im not associated nor read them so I dont know. He turns 18 in December and is older for his class. This isn't some new development. We are also recruiting one of his high school teammates, Carlton Carrington, who also just visited Pitt. He also is eligible to reclassify I believe. There is a lot of focus in the Maryland / DC / All Met recruiting grounds.

Im not associated nor read them so I dont know. He turns 18 in December and is older for his class. This isn't some new development. We are also recruiting one of his high school teammates, Carlton Carrington, who also just visited Pitt. He also is eligible to reclassify I believe. There is a lot of focus in the Maryland / DC / All Met recruiting grounds.

carlton-dance.gif

Posting this generally for the board: what’s the deal lately with Jerome Beya and Tyson Commander?

Posting this generally for the board: what’s the deal lately with Jerome Beya and Tyson Commander?

I was quite high on Commander a year ago. Liked his size and shooting potential. He came out really good at the DMV live earlier this summer and played strong there showcasing nice scoring potential from the midrange and from 3. He only played a couple games in the entire latest EYBL session. Im not sure if it was covid or injury because I didn't watch Team Melo all that much. We weren't getting Cam Whitmore and Bryce Lindsay wasn't that great and we stopped with him which was the correct move. Lindsay just didn't impress and shoot anywhere near his reputation.
Rick Pitino has been heavily involved with Commander for a long time, probably over a year.

Beya did not have a good summer. Raw on offense and still a project. He is multiple years away from helping at the college level regardless of his athletic ability.

Is Beya closer to Coulibaly or Amadasun in terms of college readiness? I think there’s room for a 5 in this class, and a guy like Beya who can fit in behind Hugley would work well.

Is Beya closer to Coulibaly or Amadasun in terms of college readiness? I think there’s room for a 5 in this class, and a guy like Beya who can fit in behind Hugley would work well.

Lets put it like this. Amadasun had better stats than Beya in the EYBL by quite a bit. Beya is quite athletic and has potential, but he just isn't ready right now. He isn't a legit Top 150 player right now and neither was Shawn Phillips or Christ Essandoko. These 3 players are raw and no where near college ready at the moment. None of them should be in the National Top 150 and its crazy they are even ranked. No one should be ranked averaging 4 points per game on an above average team. We aren't talking a great team and Peach Jam Title contender, we are talking about players on an above average team with below average stats.

From the high school ranks for a legit big, the guy that is going to move the needle is Amani Hansberry. We are talking about a double double machine that can pass and proved it in the EYBL for a winning team. We are talking about a legit top 50 talent that moves the needle for our program or someone else program. And we have a legit chance to get him. Now if you are talking 2022, I would wait to see what opens up in the transfer portal in the spring. We need Hansberry who is a bear down there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAkHdzWWEBEp7gI?format=jpg&name=medium

Reactions: Drew1208
I had someone connected with the Laurel Highlands coaching staff tell me yesterday that Gallagher really likes Penn State. I don't know if he has a real offer there though.
They’d take him as a wide receiver today. Don’t think he has too much of a relationship with their new basketball staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT