ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of comments from Zeise on realignment

Two embarrassing losses were held against them and the team that got put in over them got throttled.
Losing to a solid Pitt team by a field goal was embarrassing? Getting steamrolled by Michigan was embarrassing.

I mean, so what? Two embarrassing losses were held against them and the team that got put in over them got throttled. Besides, that doesn't support an argument that an 8-4 team is making the playoff. You're using pro football as some kind of gold standard but that's only 32 teams. College football has quite a few more teams that than that. Also wouldn't hold my breath that two conferences are going to shut out everyone else and the college football media (or TV) is going to be cool with that. Especially in a world where that means the goliaths are still losing pre-conference games to the likes of Pitt. Leaves you with a pretty underwhelming playoff that totally devalues what the networks are paying for the other conferences.

Again, you keep comparing the current college football format to a hypothetical 40-team league with a 16-team playoff and significantly less games against G5/FCS competition. You don't understand that the records for the teams that make that playoff will be much worse than the records of the teams that make a 4-team playoff (or finish in the top 16) in a league with 130 schools and 2-3 free wins per year?

The NFL as a comparison isn't perfect, but it is certainly more apt than the current college football landscape. Even a paramecium understands this.

Last edited:
Again, you keep comparing the current college football format to a hypothetical 40-team league with a 16-team playoff and significantly less games against G5/FCS competition. You don't understand that the records for the teams that make that playoff will be much worse than the records of the teams that make a 4-team playoff (or finish in the top 16) in a league with 130 schools and 2-3 free wins per year?

The NFL as a comparison isn't perfect, but it is certainly more apt than the current college football landscape.
So the NCAA is going to make the most money by running a pro-style format right up against the top revenue league in the US by putting almost half the teams eligible into a playoff? Totally makes sense.

Reactions: bwh05
So the NCAA is going to make the most money by running a pro-style format right up against the top revenue league in the US by putting almost half the teams eligible into a playoff? Totally makes sense.

Yeah, it would be silly to expand their postseason. You see how poorly the NCAA Basketball Tournament does. And you see the pro leagues doing it, so obviously it makes no financial sense. College football's 7-year ratings decline is a pretty good indication that they should continue to focus their time and efforts on like 3-5 relevant schools.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Yeah, it would be silly to expand their postseason. You see how poorly the NCAA Basketball Tournament does. And you see the pro leagues doing it, so obviously it makes no financial sense. College football's 7-year ratings decline is a pretty good indication that they should continue to focus their time and efforts on like 3-5 relevant schools.
Resorting to hyperbole again? My God, you're softer than a cotton ball.

Reactions: FireballZ
Resorting to hyperbole again? My God, you're softer than a cotton ball.

Nah, just calling out stupid shit. You think they're going head to head with the NFL because they're expanding their postseason? Now that's hyperbole. I guess you have some inside info that they're moving the games to Sunday, too. Savages.

The ncaa has nothing to do with football .
The sooner folks understand this the better they’ll understand

You'll be agreeing with what I said in a few days. Happening in the other thread.

You told me teams won't go 2-3 and be able to make the playoffs.

I said you're wrong, as 3 or 4 (and sometimes 5) losses won't be damning under the new format.

You told me to look at the top 16 in the current format (where everybody pads their records by playing FCS/G5 schools, and G5 schools themselves sneak into the top 16 by playing absolutely nobody).

Don't think we'll be agreeing anytime soon. There are mountains of anecdotes that contradict your theory. The NFC East would like a word with you.

Oh, and then you veered off into suggesting that the playoffs in this new league will remain small because bigger playoffs means they'll be competing with the NFL for viewership. I'm sure the Alabama fans will abstain for that very reason. "Nah, this here smells too much like that NFL stuff. I ain't watchin' it. Gimme some more of that Tulsa vs Louisiana Tech is a meaningless bowl game, instead."

You told me teams won't go 2-3 and be able to make the playoffs.

I said you're wrong, as 3 or 4 (and sometimes 5) losses won't be damning under the new format.

You told me to look at the top 16 in the current format (where everybody pads their records by playing FCS/G5 schools, and G5 schools themselves sneak into the top 16 by playing absolutely nobody).

Don't think we'll be agreeing anytime soon. There are mountains of anecdotes that contradict your theory. The NFC East would like a word with you.

Oh, and then you veered off into suggesting that the playoffs in this new league will remain small because bigger playoffs means they'll be competing with the NFL for viewership. I'm sure the Alabama fans will abstain for that very reason. "Nah, this here smells too much like that NFL stuff. I ain't watchin' it. Gimme some more of that Tulsa vs Louisiana Tech is a meaningless bowl game, instead."
LOL. Thanks for the recap. Sorry if I upset you too much. Hey @pittmeister you gotta watch what you say to these soft guys.

I don’t understand his argument?

The powers in the ACC are going to stay, because at some unknown point in the future, the bubble will burst?

LOL. Thanks for the recap. Sorry if I upset you too much. Hey @pittmeister you gotta watch what you say to these soft guys.
No kidding! They accuse others of being soft… They need to look in the mirror….

Remember, being positive and patient is a sign of strength. Panic, negativity and sensitivity is the opposite….

Reactions: pittdan77
No offense to you cruzer, but you’re disregarding the message because of the messenger… He makes some valid points…

Of course TheWerewolfFromTwilight agrees with you so that should disrupt your sleep pattern…
It's not that he didn't make some valid points...he did....however, he's pretty dismissive of any concerns.

Reactions: pittmeister
It's not that he didn't make some valid points...he did....however, he's pretty dismissive of any concerns.
Well, it's not like he has any more of a clue about it than any of us but until you see something with legs that says the GOR is getting broken or that ESPN has worked out some sort of realignment that everyone in the ACC is onboard with, it's probably not worth getting too worked up about.

I think that'll be balanced out by the fact that you have a way better chance of postseason relevancy. Take Wisconsin, for example. If I look at 2005 - 2019, they won 10 games per year over that 15-year stretch. However, they've gotten to play for a championship zero times. Under a new format, maybe they only win 7.5 games per year or something, but maybe they make the 16-team playoff six or seven (random guess) years out of 15. And there's more possibility for an upset in a playoff tournament that has more rounds (beyond the obvious, there's more chances for an off day or an emotional letdown).

Definitely going to be some give and take. The fans will have to adjust, I guess.
Fans don't adjust. They leave.

Again, your concept of what a "good record" is would be completely different when teams aren't playing two G5 games and one FCS game every year. Additionally, there wouldn't be any G5 teams that had a "magical season" jumping up to fill those spots simply because they beat one decent team all year. If the 2018 UCF team had to play a real schedule, they might have been 8-4, not 12-0.

That 2016 Penn State team is another example. Started 2-2. Finished 11-2 and did not make the playoff.

The Bengals made the Super Bowl last year with a .588 winning percentage. That would be the equivalent of winning 7 games in a 12-game season. I don't see why this model would be much different from the NFL model, record-wise. 9-3 or 8-4 could absolutely allow for a team to get in a playoff that includes 40% of the league.
The Bengals had to beat out only 3 other teams to ensure a playoff spot. That won't be the case in college football. It is inane to compare them.

You're assuming they'll like the new system less. But maybe they'll like it more. There are a ton of second-tier teams who haven't been too thrilled with not being able to play in a championship tournament since the inception of the CFP.
Yeah, they will like it less. Fans with expectations of 10-12 wins aren't going to like only having 8 or 9 wins, even with a playoff spot. I also don't expect 4-loss teams in the playoffs. I don't think 16 of 40 teams will get in. There will be some slots for Tier 2 leagues.

The Bengals had to beat out only 3 other teams to ensure a playoff spot. That won't be the case in college football. It is inane to compare them.

Oh, you know this to be a fact? What if each conference gets to 24 teams and has 4 divisions of 6? Pitt won a 7-team Big East in 2004 at a paltry 4-2 (8-4 overall).

The NFL had 32 total teams and 12 playoff teams for years. That's 37.5% of the field. And numerous 8-8 teams have gotten in. If the new college league has a 16-team playoff with only 40 teams, it's certainly not impossible for an 8-win team to get in, depending on how the divisions are structured. I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple most seasons, in fact.

5-3 teams have won ACC division titles numerous times. Look it up. It all depends on the formatting of the new league.

Yeah, they will like it less. Fans with expectations of 10-12 wins aren't going to like only having 8 or 9 wins, even with a playoff spot. I also don't expect 4-loss teams in the playoffs. I don't think 16 of 40 teams will get in. There will be some slots for Tier 2 leagues.

Possible. But probably not.

My money would be on two 24-team conferences with 4 divisions each and a 12 - 16 game playoff amongst themselves within the next five years or so.

The fact you wrote this is astonishing given your body of work. Like, you are making SMF look like a reasonable voice this week and that's really saying something.

Because I can point to dozens, if not hundreds, of times when a team with a 66.7% or worse winning percentage has made the playoffs?

Because I can point to dozens, if not hundreds, of times when a team with a 66.7% or worse winning percentage has made the playoffs?
No, it's because you're making things up and then telling people they're wrong because only your version of what is going to happen is reality in your world. The CFP is not the NFL and until something changes, the ACC, Big12, Pac12, and ND still have some say. Even then, had everyone agreed last year, a four loss team wasn't going to be in a college football playoff. Let it go.

No, it's because you're making things up and then telling people they're wrong because only your version of what is going to happen is reality in your world. The CFP is not the NFL and until something changes, the ACC, Big12, Pac12, and ND still have some say. Even then, had everyone agreed last year, a four loss team wasn't going to be in a college football playoff. Let it go.

This entire discussion has been around the premise of a new league forming that includes the BIG and SEC. Don't play ignorant now and act like we've been talking about an all-inclusive 130 team league. You're trying to back out of some silly statements.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Oh, you know this to be a fact? What if each conference gets to 24 teams and has 4 divisions of 6? Pitt won a 7-team Big East in 2004 at a paltry 4-2 (8-4 overall).

The NFL had 32 total teams and 12 playoff teams for years. That's 37.5% of the field. And numerous 8-8 teams have gotten in. If the new college league has a 16-team playoff with only 40 teams, it's certainly not impossible for an 8-win team to get in, depending on how the divisions are structured. I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple most seasons, in fact.

5-3 teams have won ACC division titles numerous times. Look it up. It all depends on the formatting of the new league.
You shot yourself in the foot with the Pitt example. Pitt wasn't going to the playoffs even with 16 teams. 5-3 teams win divisions but they don't go to the playoffs.

You shot yourself in the foot with the Pitt example. Pitt wasn't going to the playoffs even with 16 teams. 5-3 teams win divisions but they don't go to the playoffs.

Okay. I'm done with this, because you guys just don't get it. In a 40-team league where everyone is only playing each other, the records will be much more muddied up. Combine that with an expanded playoff and yes, 8-4 teams will get in. Pretty frequently, in fact. That's the last I'm going to say about it.

Okay. I'm done with this, because you guys just don't get it. In a 40-team league where everyone is only playing each other, the records will be much more muddied up. Combine that with an expanded playoff and yes, 8-4 teams will get in. Pretty frequently, in fact. That's the last I'm going to say about it.
Because you know this to be fact. We get that you are all-knowing.

“No, it's because you're making things up and then telling people they're wrong because only your version of what is going to happen is reality in your world.”

THIS!

Reactions: pittdan77
This entire discussion has been around the premise of a new league forming that includes the BIG and SEC. Don't play ignorant now and act like we've been talking about an all-inclusive 130 team league. You're trying to back out of some silly statements.
No. The discussion began with Zeise saying he doesn't see the ACC going anywhere. You jumped the rails and started talking about Wisconsin missing the playoffs despite having 10 win seasons and moved the goalpost a few times to save the argument. I might have had years of repetitive blows to my brain but I can still use the back button.

No. The discussion began with Zeise saying he doesn't see the ACC going anywhere. You jumped the rails and started talking about Wisconsin missing the playoffs despite having 10 win seasons and moved the goalpost a few times to save the argument. I might have had years of repetitive blows to my brain but I can still use the back button.

I commented on someone's post who said that fans used to winning more games won't be satisfied with 8-4. I said the flip side to that is that 8-4 could get you into a playoff in this new league, whereas it doesn't get you in the playoff under the current format.

That's when you chimed in, champ. Might want to hit that back button again.

Wisconsin was my example because, even though their record will likely be worse than what they're used to (again, no G5 and no FCS), they've still been a top 8/12/16 team (pick your new playoff field size) numerous times since the CFP began. They just haven't been a top 4 team.

Last edited:
Teams that are 9-3 or 8-4 will ABSOLUTELY get into a 12 team playoff. Perhaps not every season but it’ll happen frequently. (EDIT: it will obviously happen every season if SEC and B1G exclude all others from whatever playoff format they choose). Also, there’s a very real possibility that realignment isn’t complete and not just any schools are going to B1G or SEC. I would predict that if ND and a number of the bigger brands from ACC go to the Power 2 that it’ll simply be a 12 team playoff OR a respective 6 team playoff for each conference and then a championship game between the two conferences (and the SEC will literally win 18 of every 20 games).

The SEC and B1G will get approximately 8-9 selections every season if everyone included and no more realignment….the reason TV is doing this is to create a compelling regular season where Bama and TOSU have to play 6-7 legitimate regular season games annually. Unfortunately for those on here who think ratings will go down, that will absolutely not be the case.

The casual college football fan will watch much more college football because of a greater volume of good matchups of elite teams. The die-hard Pitt or WVU fan who is frustrated with current direction of sport will also watch, despite their current stances (obviously not all of us…some will hold out).

Last edited:
Lol, okay. The #12 team in the country this past year had 4 losses. But I'm sure the #12 team will only have two losses when everyone's schedule gets even tougher. My bad.

You’ve gotten so defensive, hostile and sensitive that even when you make a good point, It’s hard to acknowledge.

Chill and be positive until we know for certain.

Nobody know’s what’s going to happen and nobody is right or wrong at this point. It’s opinion only.

Last edited:
You’ve gotten so defensive, hostile and sensitive that even when you make a good point, It’s hard to acknowledge.

Chill and be positive until we know for certain.

Nobody know’s what’s going happen and nobody is right or wrong at this point. It’s opinion only.
Buffalo Springfield might have had it right so many years ago. Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.

Anyway, it's a good excuse to listen to this song:

If the smoke clears and Pitt is in a place that has no chance whatsoever (vs the acknowledged .00001% we currently have) to win the championship, I’m out, and I’ll say at least 80% would be with me. That chance, no matter how minuscule, needs to be there for most. Pgh, being decidedly a minor league city (and hating that fact) won’t easily acquiesce to being minor league in its sports. And not having a path to “win it all” in the highest league, won’t cut it. Winning the “minor league” conference won’t cut it either. Otherwise we wouldn’t still mock the CBI as we do.

Last edited:

“I have spent most of my life worrying about things that have never happened.”​

— Mark Twain

“Worrying is like paying a debt you don't owe.”​

— Mark Twain

Zeise is right…. Chill…. Until it’s time not to chill…. When will that be? When it’s over…. But even then….

“It ain’t over till it’s over”​

— Yogi Berra

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT