ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Donald

If he'd had these Edge Rushers the last 5 years - think what his stats could have been...

Reactions: 303vND
He is great but I don't see a player tieing the sack record not winning. Did Strahan get the award that year.

Now, AD is the better player and If rather have him.

Watt will probably win DPOY this year but AD is unquestionably the better player. Steelers fans who aren't Pitt fans are always perplexed about why AD gets more DPOY hype every year than Watt, but the fact is an elite DT is much more of a matchup nightmare than an elite OLB. When an offense has to double or triple team a player every play, it leaves other players on the defense positioned to make impact plays.

TJ Watt sack total is impressive and may give him the edge in voting, however, AD does more than just sacks and he is double/triple teamed and still causes havoc. And as mentioned above, I don't think he sits out much compared to Watt. He is literally non stop.

Reactions: 303vND
For those who say that it's preposterous to think AD is twice the player TJ Watt is, I'll add my 10 cents..

I went to the Cool Clinic and listened to 2-3 OL coaches who flat out said, they don't have a legitimate answer vs AD except you better hope you have a great defense because you have to run the ball at him and hope the others around him don't make plays. They all were like if you can't keep the score close and have to sling it, he completely wrecks your game plan and makes average players around him night and day better. Does Watt really do that?

When AD was getting ready for the combine I spent some time down with the Navy coaches. They said Aaron Donald did things that literally made them change scheme they never have to and it still wasn't good enough.

AD is the best defender of his generation, I still think Reggie White is the best of all time because he could do what AD did in the rush game but was an absolute stalwart vs. the run.

…is the dirtiest player in the league.
odd for a guy who has a dedicated camera on him every play of the game (kind of what they do for the best in the league) that we are so short on footage of such...

watt is a great pass rusher and i dont think he's as bad against the run as people say but yeah, he takes a ton of snaps off ( I dont blame the staff for sitting him on 2nd downs) and well in short, AD is head and shoulders the best defensive player..

These are all interesting discussions, but every decade produces its GOAT players. But what few people take into account is that stats of these GOATS are tough to compare, because they’re directly affected by their era and their team.

For example, Joe Green really didn’t have as many sacks as compared to today’s players. But the teams of Joe Green’s era didn’t pass as often, and the seasons were shorter, so he had fewer sack opportunities than the players of today.

I think that Larry Fitzgerald is the WR-GOAT. Why? Because Larry Fitzgerald played with some below-average quarterbacks during a sizable portion of his illustrious career. We can only imagine the statistics that he would’ve compiled had he played with the same quarterbacks who threw to….say, Jerry Rice.

These are all interesting discussions, but every decade produces its GOAT players. But what few people take into account is that stats of these GOATS are tough to compare, because they’re directly affected by their era and their team.

For example, Joe Green really didn’t have as many sacks as compared to today’s players. But the teams of Joe Green’s era didn’t pass as often, and the seasons were shorter, so he had fewer sack opportunities than the players of today.

I think that Larry Fitzgerald is the WR-GOAT. Why? Because Larry Fitzgerald played with some below-average quarterbacks during a sizable portion of his illustrious career. We can only imagine the statistics that he would’ve compiled had he played with the same quarterbacks who threw to….say, Jerry Rice.
I think that Larry Fitzgerald is the WR-GOAT. Why?..more likely the answer when hooked up to a polygraph would be because he was a Pitt player. Nothing wrong with that.

if you have your choice of an elite interior defensive lineman or an edge rusher, it's apparent you go with the interior DL.

For those who say that it's preposterous to think AD is twice the player TJ Watt is, I'll add my 10 cents..

I went to the Cool Clinic and listened to 2-3 OL coaches who flat out said, they don't have a legitimate answer vs AD except you better hope you have a great defense because you have to run the ball at him and hope the others around him don't make plays. They all were like if you can't keep the score close and have to sling it, he completely wrecks your game plan and makes average players around him night and day better. Does Watt really do that?

When AD was getting ready for the combine I spent some time down with the Navy coaches. They said Aaron Donald did things that literally made them change scheme they never have to and it still wasn't good enough.

AD is the best defender of his generation, I still think Reggie White is the best of all time because he could do what AD did in the rush game but was an absolute stalwart vs. the run.
You could make an argument that AD is better than TJ. But twice as good is preposterous. And don't forget this. TJ plays a certain side so much of the time the play goes away from him. AD plays in the interior, therefore is in the middle of the action most of the time.

odd for a guy who has a dedicated camera on him every play of the game (kind of what they do for the best in the league) that we are so short on footage of such...

Short on footage? Have you watched him choking players or fighting with them after plays OR the game?

He plays with a chip on his shoulder which helps gives him his edge and makes him great. Buy he regularly crosses the line.

Short on footage? Have you watched him choking players or fighting with them after plays OR the game?

He plays with a chip on his shoulder which helps gives him his edge and makes him great. Buy he regularly crosses the line.
So he gets a lot if personal foul choking penalties (at a "dirtiest player in the league" rate) does he? You have link posting ability...have at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT