Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
For basketball, I always categorized the leagues as such:

1. Power 6
2. High majors (AAC, A10, MWC, WCC)
3. Mid-majors (CAA, Horizon, MVC, etc)
4. Low majors (NEC, MEAC, SWAC, etc)

I think of it more like Power 7, but there isn't really a clear delineation like football (see: Gonzaga.)

Which is to say AAC has a few teams that I think with the right coaches are totally reasonable final four threats: Houston, Wichita, Memphis, and Cincy especially. Memphis' ceiling is a national title if they ever get it together. The AAC doesn't have the same level of depth per capita though as the Big East or Big 10.

I think of it more like Power 7, but there isn't really a clear delineation like football (see: Gonzaga.)

Which is to say AAC has a few teams that I think with the right coaches are totally reasonable final four threats: Houston, Wichita, Memphis, and Cincy especially. Memphis' ceiling is a national title if they ever get it together. The AAC doesn't have the same level of depth per capita though as the Big East or Big 10.
It’s obviously a lot easier to create a team to compete in BB than FB. But another reason why there’s no clear delineation in BB like there is in FB. Everyone gets an invite to the party in BB. Not true in FB, heck, not even all the P5’s get an invite.

But Cincy may knock that wall down this year. Much to the dismay of many fans that think a P5 schedule is so important.

For basketball, I always categorized the leagues as such:

1. Power 6
2. High majors (AAC, A10, MWC, WCC)
3. Mid-majors (CAA, Horizon, MVC, etc)
4. Low majors (NEC, MEAC, SWAC, etc)

I think your categories are legit and consider A10 to be High Major.

Here's where everyone belongs in my opinion:

Power 6 -- Obvious

High Majors -- the four you mentioned (American, A-10, Missouri Valley, and West Coast)

Mid Majors -- America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big West, Colonial, Conference USA, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, MAC, Western Athletic, Southern and Sun Belt.

Low majors -- Big South, Horizon, MEAC, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southland, Southwestern, and Summit

I think your categories are legit and consider A10 to be High Major.

Here's where everyone belongs in my opinion:

Power 6 -- Obvious

High Majors -- the four you mentioned (American, A-10, Missouri Valley, and West Coast)

Mid Majors -- America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big West, Colonial, Conference USA, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, MAC, Western Athletic, Southern and Sun Belt.

Low majors -- Big South, Horizon, MEAC, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southland, Southwestern, and Summit

I was saying the Mountain West is high major and Missouri Valley is mid-major. When Creighton and Wichita State were in the MVC, I may have felt differently. But the MWC has some pretty good programs across the board (UNLV, SDSU, NM, Boise, Colorado St).

As for your low majors, I disagree with the Horizon and OVC. To be fair, they are probably "lower mid-major" if that was a thing but both leagues have gotten 2 teams in before and I don't think a lower major would ever get 2. Now those leagues are both weaker now after losing some teams but if RMU was to go like 28-5 but lose in the Horizon final, I think they get an at-large. That wouldn't happen in the NEC.

A10 is a rising league and the AAC is fading. I love what the A10 did in grabbing Loyola and my guess is that Temple eventually makes it back. Obviously not on the same level as the P6, but that’s a heck of a hoops conference.

AAC is toast hoops-wise as soon as Cincy and Houston leave. I was willing to give Penny the benefit of the doubt, but if he can’t figure it out with this team, it’s not going to happen for him and that’s absolutely catastrophic for that athletic department. That conference is praying they get lucky and find the next UCF in UAB or UTSA, but from a basketball standpoint, it’s just about dead.

A10 is a rising league and the AAC is fading. I love what the A10 did in grabbing Loyola and my guess is that Temple eventually makes it back. Obviously not on the same level as the P6, but that’s a heck of a hoops conference.

AAC is toast hoops-wise as soon as Cincy and Houston leave. I was willing to give Penny the benefit of the doubt, but if he can’t figure it out with this team, it’s not going to happen for him and that’s absolutely catastrophic for that athletic department. That conference is praying they get lucky and find the next UCF in UAB or UTSA, but from a basketball standpoint, it’s just about dead.

The new AAC minus Houston and Cincinnati and plus UTSA, North Texas, Rice, UAB, FAU, and Charlotte is definitely worse but still a slight step above a mid-major.

The new AAC minus Houston and Cincinnati and plus UTSA, North Texas, Rice, UAB, FAU, and Charlotte is definitely worse but still a slight step above a mid-major.

Call it whatever you want, but it’s going to be very hard to be more than a one bid league moving forward. The gyms in some of schools they just added look like something you’d see in the WPIAL. Even with all that money behind SMU and Memphis it’s hard to see a path forward for them outside of praying the B12 expands again.

Call it whatever you want, but it’s going to be very hard to be more than a one bid league moving forward. The gyms in some of schools they just added look like something you’d see in the WPIAL. Even with all that money behind SMU and Memphis it’s hard to see a path forward for them outside of praying the B12 expands again.

Well, yea, I think its a 1 bid league half the time and probably a 2 bid league half the time. If they get really lucky, maybe they get 3 teams once every 10 years. But Penny will be landing every Top 10 recruit to play in that trash. I've said Memphis and Temple should leave for the A10 and start an A10 football league with UMass, UConn and others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT