ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to get a Big?

I started Friday, missed coaching last season. Decided I wanted to try WPIAL basketball. We’ll see how it goes! First open gym tomorrow. Not working there other than hoops tho.

Rising 8th grader’s dad played at Pitt apparently
Does Steve Maslek have a kid? He was a 6-9 backup big man for Pitt in Mid to Late 80’s. He’s from Freedom.

I have no idea, but D’Antoni’s system made him look better than he is. I think he’s making a mistake in leaving, although I guess a HM will fill out their roster with him. He would be pretty redundant with less upside than the guards they currently have, imo

ESPN’s rankings aren’t bad in basketball. Their football rankings are so bad that they should just stop doing football rankings altogether.

All told I think Rivals has the worst combined football and basketball rankings of all four services.
None of the services have either the resources or the skill to do a comprehensive evaluation of prep/high school talent. They get the cream at the top right, but after #20 or #25 prospect, it's a shot in dark. They might as well throw darts at the wall and call it their exclusive computer algorithm. Furthermore, Disney seems to be cutting funding at ESPN. They're only going to get worse. They're now reduced to selling click bait as "premium content". When guys like Snow leave the media industry to join a coaching staff, the handwriting is on the wall. As I said, when you see a recruit ranked #200 or lower, it most likely means no one on the staff has seen him play.

We are on the very short list for Papa Kante, 4 star decommit from Michigan who was one of our top targets last summer. 6'10 physical bruiser / elite defender that plays the 4 and 5.

I believe we also reached out to Ven Allen Lubin, although his recruitment has been more quiet than a lot of others.

The wild world of recruiting. I was told originally we were on the very short list for Kante (top 3) from this post above. Then I was told it wasn't Pitt and it wasn't likely. Now from a good source Kante is headed to Pitt with Gilbert Brown being a big reason why because of his relationship with Kante at South Kent.

Ill wait for the "official" announcement. But this would be a massive pickup for Capel at a position of need (PF and C)

I said multiple times they needed a big. They got one. Good brain

He should start. Twins will play sparingly. Fede backs him up.

The wild world of recruiting. I was told originally we were on the very short list for Kante (top 3) from this post above. Then I was told it wasn't Pitt and it wasn't likely. Now from a good source Kante is headed to Pitt with Gilbert Brown being a big reason why because of his relationship with Kante at South Kent.

Ill wait for the "official" announcement. But this would be a massive pickup for Capel at a position of need (PF and C)
Looking good to get him now and fills a space everyone was craving.
Crazy this came together.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
So we shouldn't count on freshman guards but should count on a freshman big to play over the twins who have a whole year of experience?
Papa is much better than the twins will ever be. He’s not gonna be asked to be the star of the team, but he’s gonna give you Fede’s defense; with some offense and better rebounding.

Yes older guards are the key to winning tournament games and why we won this year. Ask Kentucky how many NCAA wins Oscar Tshibwe won them. That’s about as old of a big as you can get. Old bigs = not as important as old guards

Reactions: BPKY and FireballZ
He should. He’s their best big overall. This is the second best get of CAPEL’s tenure
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't, and maybe by mid-season he will.
Just don't see it happening early.
And if I'm wrong, that's good news.
If I'm right, still good news.
This is a fantastic update

I’m not saying this guy is Sanago right now; but he has a chance to be that good. This is the type of impact big they’ve been lacking since Capel was hired. He may not reach his full potential year 1, but he needs to play and play a lot.

I’ve worked with bigs at UCLA, Pitt, Mississippi State, Duke etc etc. this is my OPINION, so I’m up for discussion.

I’m as big of fan of Fede as there is, but he will forever be limited offensively. Papa will give more offensively, be better defensively by mid season and rebounding mid season if they PLAY HIM early. Play him early and a lot. Doesn’t have to start but a LOT. He will be a key to this years’ team success.

I can’t stand relying on young guards until the stupid Covid stuff is over. This is as big of a get as there has been in the Capel era. I’ve been an outspoken critic when I thought something wasn’t good enough and given praise when I thought it was.

This is MASSIVE. LWA4 finally came through.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't, and maybe by mid-season he will.
Just don't see it happening early.
And if I'm wrong, that's good news.
If I'm right, still good news.
This is a fantastic update

I think the most important part about this is, we beefed up our frontcourt and really beefed up our rebounding from top to bottom all over the roster.

From what I watched, Jorge really struggled when he played the 5 this year, its just not his position. Not only does Kante give us 5 minutes and an extra big, he is good enough to give us some minutes at the 4. He is tall and he is physical and he can rebound. From what I watched in the EYBL, he can give us some offense around the basket but trying to stretch him out from the basket past 10 feet or so is a no-no on offense. His shot needs development and I think his offense is more raw than what the recruiting agencies suggest. He is a good strong finisher on the inside.

The NY Rens were tough on defense and Kante was a major reason why. This gives us a lot more depth and a lot more flexibility in terms of what we can do with player combinations regardless of who starts.

I think the most important part about this is, we beefed up our frontcourt and really beefed up our rebounding from top to bottom all over the roster.

From what I watched, Jorge really struggled when he played the 5 this year, its just not his position. Not only does Kante give us 5 minutes and an extra big, he is good enough to give us some minutes at the 4. He is tall and he is physical and he can rebound. From what I watched in the EYBL, he can give us some offense around the basket but trying to stretch him out from the basket past 10 feet or so is a no-no on offense. His shot needs development and I think his offense is more raw than what the recruiting agencies suggest. He is a good strong finisher on the inside.

The NY Rens were tough on defense and Kante was a major reason why. This gives us a lot more depth and a lot more flexibility in terms of what we can do with player combinations regardless of who starts.
Jorge is not and will never be a 5.
Everyone laughs at me when I say he's more a 3 than anything, but that's what he is the most.
He's got multiple years to develop at that position and maybe he never will. But that's his skill set. More than a four

Papa is much better than the twins will ever be. He’s not gonna be asked to be the star of the team, but he’s gonna give you Fede’s defense; with some offense and better rebounding.

Yes older guards are the key to winning tournament games and why we won this year. Ask Kentucky how many NCAA wins Oscar Tshibwe won them. That’s about as old of a big as you can get. Old bigs = not as important as old guards
Hope you’re right! You definitely know more hoops than I do. If he’s better than sophomore twins it makes Pitt a better team. I’m still optimistic about the twins though. Think they’re going to be really good college players.

Hope you’re right! You definitely know more hoops than I do. If he’s better than sophomore twins it makes Pitt a better team. I’m still optimistic about the twins though. Think they’re going to be really good college players.
I think they might be solid players but there’s no use in hoping when you can get a higher end player and prospect. If they develop, it will be partly because of adding another great player. We also don’t know how long Papa will be here. He may be a 1 and done; may transfer if he has a good year and may transfer if he doesn’t play over who’s in front of them. Regardless if he’s actually better or not next year, Pitt is more solid up front and a deeper and better team today.

I think they might be solid players but there’s no use in hoping when you can get a higher end player and prospect. If they develop, it will be partly because of adding another great player. We also don’t know how long Papa will be here. He may be a 1 and done; may transfer if he has a good year and may transfer if he doesn’t play over who’s in front of them. Regardless if he’s actually better or not next year, Pitt is more solid up front and a deeper and better team today.
No for sure. Definitely wasn't suggesting Pitt not pursue him. It's a big win for Pitt and for Capel.

Jorge is not and will never be a 5.
Everyone laughs at me when I say he's more a 3 than anything, but that's what he is the most.
He's got multiple years to develop at that position and maybe he never will. But that's his skill set. More than a four

I've been saying all along, Jorge is a three and Guillermo is a four. They can play elsewhere, but that was out of need, not out of what was their optimal usage.

The twins real value is that they are 7 footers that can shoot the ball and are natural shot blockers , unless they can miraculously gain 30 lbs of muscle they’re best suited to play the 3/4 and not the 5 .

I think all those naysayers about HC JC will find that with the right contingent of players he’s a fine coach . Coaching while important is overrated you need the talent first .

Guess he’s not going to get let go after the season as some on here have predicted .

Kudos to whomever stepped up to land Kante . Guess they were saving the NIL for the big guy .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT