ADVERTISEMENT

Bucco Fever ~ Catch It

So...you guys went into this season with.................what kind of expectations? Isn't this club basically performing as we all expected?

This year is a wash. It is a throw away. The Pirates should be playing every young guy or tradeable commodity. Colin Moran, keep on hitting HR's.

Until ownership changes, every season is a throw-away!

So...you guys went into this season with.................what kind of expectations? Isn't this club basically performing as we all expected?

This year is a wash. It is a throw away. The Pirates should be playing every young guy or tradeable commodity. Colin Moran, keep on hitting HR's.

They will half-ass their way through the short season same as a full season. One foot in the pool and one on the sidewalk. Hedge, hedge, hedge. With the mounting injuries they should treat this as an extended spring training and see what they have with some of the young guys. If they sneak into a playoff spot, great. This whole baseball season is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Which is sad and the owner must go.
What is really sad is the owner like the jack a@@ owner of the Redskins just doesn’t get it. Are they really that stupid? The value of sports franchises after COVID 19 are going to take a hit. What percentage I don’t know but if the tv rating are not there and no fans revenue streams are going to dry up.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
if the tv rating are not there

There's a long way to go, but the Yankees - Nationals opening night game on ESPN had their largest viewership since 2011 and the Giants - Dodgers game that night was the highest rated late night ESPN game ever.

The first 12 games ESPN showed this year were up 34% versus last year, and the games on Fox the first weekend were both up double digits.

Things I would rather catch before Bucco Fever:

1) My wife cheating on me
2) A grand piano falling from the sky
3) Covid
4) A glimpse of Rosie O'Donnell changing (ok, that one's a lie)
5) A train to Cleveland

Ok that's extreme in my opinion but whatever floats your boat.

There's a long way to go, but the Yankees - Nationals opening night game on ESPN had their largest viewership since 2011 and the Giants - Dodgers game that night was the highest rated late night ESPN game ever.

The first 12 games ESPN showed this year were up 34% versus last year, and the games on Fox the first weekend were both up double digits.
So much for my analysis. At least I didn’t predict a 6,000 point market.

lol @ the Pirates

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29588609/our-not-early-think-mlb-hot-takes-bold-predictions

The Pirates will have the worst winning percentage in modern baseball history.

As much as I want that to be the case, I doubt it will be. They're always good for a few meaningless winning streaks every season. If they want to best (worst?) the 2003 Tigers, they'd need to go 15-45. And if we're counting 1900 forward as the modern era (that's many statisticians' definition of it), then they'll need to one-up that at 14-46. Hey, I'm rooting for it. How could you not at this point? But I just don't see it happening.

blind squirrel = pirates

As much as I want that to be the case, I doubt it will be. They're always good for a few meaningless winning streaks every season. If they want to best (worst?) the 2003 Tigers, they'd need to go 15-45. And if we're counting 1900 forward as the modern era (that's many statisticians' definition of it), then they'll need to one-up that at 14-46. Hey, I'm rooting for it. How could you not at this point? But I just don't see it happening.

Clint Hurdle was the only thing I liked about the Pirates the last few years too.

I may not win my Pirates Under 25.5 wins bet, but I’m quite certain I won’t lose it, either.

A push? How are they going to get that half win?

Perhaps by counting last night's 4-0 lead after five innings (before the inevitable collapse).

Today it got so bad that the Twins' broadcast crew (I was listening on Sirius XM) was actually laughing at this pathetic bunch.

Today it got so bad that the Twins' broadcast crew (I was listening on Sirius XM) was actually laughing at this pathetic bunch.

We were talking last week about them just tanking the whole season to get the number one draft pick, and I have to say that I don't know if that's what they are doing, but it sure looks like that's the strategy.

This team has about six guys, maybe seven, who ought to be playing all the time. Especially in a short season. Assuming that your goal is to win as much as possible. Bell, Frazier, Newman, Moran, Reynolds and Polanco, and perhaps, dare I say it, Stallings (as much for his defense as his offense). And yet every day one or two or more of those guys are sitting on the bench while we see Dyson and Evans (who has actually hit the ball pretty well so far) and Murphy and Gonzalez and Heridia out in the field. Why?

Cole Tucker looks over matched at times, but at least he's a young guy that you are trying to find out about and who you hope will get better with time. What does a guy like Jarrod Dyson bring to the table. He's old, so he's not going to get any better. The last few years he's stunk, .230/.313/.320 last year and .189/.282/.257 (good god, a .257 slugging percentage!) two years ago. Why on earth is he anything more than a once a week fill it? Hell, why is he even on the roster?

And then you have the foolish aggressiveness on the bases, which is getting guys thrown out at a ridiculous rate. Why?

I'll tell you why. They aren't trying to win. They are trying to lose so much they get that number one pick.

We were talking last week about them just tanking the whole season to get the number one draft pick, and I have to say that I don't know if that's what they are doing, but it sure looks like that's the strategy.

This team has about six guys, maybe seven, who ought to be playing all the time. Especially in a short season. Assuming that your goal is to win as much as possible. Bell, Frazier, Newman, Moran, Reynolds and Polanco, and perhaps, dare I say it, Stallings (as much for his defense as his offense). And yet every day one or two or more of those guys are sitting on the bench while we see Dyson and Evans (who has actually hit the ball pretty well so far) and Murphy and Gonzalez and Heridia out in the field. Why?

Cole Tucker looks over matched at times, but at least he's a young guy that you are trying to find out about and who you hope will get better with time. What does a guy like Jarrod Dyson bring to the table. He's old, so he's not going to get any better. The last few years he's stunk, .230/.313/.320 last year and .189/.282/.257 (good god, a .257 slugging percentage!) two years ago. Why on earth is he anything more than a once a week fill it? Hell, why is he even on the roster?

And then you have the foolish aggressiveness on the bases, which is getting guys thrown out at a ridiculous rate. Why?

I'll tell you why. They aren't trying to win. They are trying to lose so much they get that number one pick.

Oh yeah, Tucker. Why is he playing the outfield? He's a shortstop. OK, so is Newman, but he's capable of playing second. If the objective is to get the best nine players out there, that's your middle infield. Then, what of Frazier? Well, there's a hole in the outfield, and he's not a stranger there, so play him there. Or put Osuna out there, in which case Reynolds becomes the center fielder. You say that would be sacrificing defense? What defense? They can't play any worse defense than they have so far.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Tucker. Why is he playing the outfield? He's a shortstop. OK, so is Newman, but he's capable of playing second. If the objective is to get the best nine players out there, that's your middle infield. Then, what of Frazier? Well,there's a hole in the outfield, and he's not a stranger there, so play him there. Or put Osuna out there, in which case Reynolds becomes the center fielder. You say that would be sacrificing defense? What defense? They can't play any worse defense than they have so far.

The funny thing is that with the DH in the National League this year it should be easier to get those guys all on the field at the same time, and yet they still can't quite figure it out.

Probably because they aren't trying to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT