ADVERTISEMENT

Carr is leaving per Evan Daniels

Definitely not a surprise. I think we’ll get good players to right the ship, it just probably means some more short term struggles.

Reactions: cabe23
Definitely not a surprise. I think we’ll get good players to right the ship, it just probably means some more short term struggles.
It will be interesting to see where these players end up:

Luther - Arizona
Stewart - ?
Carr - ?
Golden - ?
Kingsby - ?

I think they all would have been helpful.

Starting from scratch again. Still - 4 returning (so far) for next season is better than 2 for last season. Hopefully Capel can pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat. We now have (at least) 5 open scholarships. I would be OK with an 11 man roster and saving 2 for next years recruiting.

Biggest needs are 2 players that can play the point and a physical big. (I am assuming Ellison stays)

Last edited:

Luther - Arizona
Stewart - ?
Carr - ?
Golden - ?
Kingsby - ?

Starting from scratch again. Still - 4 returning (so far) for next season is better than 2 for last season. Hopefully Capel can pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat.

Biggest needs are 2 players that can play the point and a physical big. (I am assuming Ellison stays)
Bet that none of them do anything great.

I agree and in the long run they would not have been happy as it was a lose lose situation. If they stayed and couldn’t handle adversity, and they all certainly proved that last year, they would have become a disruption. I say move on and bring in some better players.

Luther - Arizona
Stewart - ?
Carr - ?
Golden - ?
Kingsby - ?

Starting from scratch again. Still - 4 returning (so far) for next season is better than 2 for last season. Hopefully Capel can pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat.

Carr and Stewart must have seen the writing on the wall.
They were gonna lose playing time. No other reason to leave.
Pitt will hopefully get two frosh and two juco's before long.

• How helpful were they last year.Stop and think how many games were we out of it at the half and showed a great second half against the backups. 0-19 let them all go.
Not to get into an argument, but:

Luther missed the entire ACC season
Carr and Stewart were true freshmen competing in the ACC
Golden and Kingsby were not even on the team.

Luther - Arizona
Stewart - ?
Carr - ?
Golden - ?
Kingsby - ?

Starting from scratch again. Still - 4 returning (so far) for next season is better than 2 for last season. Hopefully Capel can pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat. We now have (at least) 5 open scholarships. I would be OK with an 11 man roster and saving 2 for next years recruiting.

And three of the four will need at least a year to reach their full potential. Just depressing to think we are staring at another race to the bottom type of season.

Good luck to him. Not really surprising. This was obvious when he didn;t announce he was coming back relatively soon after the hire.

Not sure I understand it but it is his call obviously. He potentially could have been a 4 year starter with 3 of those years playing for a Coach that has been there and done it at his position. Now he will sit out a year and who knows what happens from there.

Good player but certainly not irreplaceable.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
  • How helpful were they last year.Stop and think how many games were we out of it at the half and showed a great second half against the backups. 0-19 let them all go.

I’m not as high on Parker as some. I think he’s a nice piece in the right situation but too one dimensional. However he could develop. Carr certainly could too and he’ll likely end up somewhere good.

They were launched in to the deep end this past season. Both probably in over their heads to varying extents. We’d likely be better off with them than without but this happens when coaches leave. Good luck to both of them.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Who are they Going to lose Playing Time To?

Do you think before you Post? So hey are going to transfer to a Better program with Better Players, yet they are Leaving Pitt because they are worried about playing time?

God we have Petty and Stupid fans!!

So you're telling me Carr left an ACC school where he would see tons of playing time because he loved Stallings and hated Capel?? that makes no sense

Carr and Stewart must have seen the writing on the wall.
They were gonna lose playing time. No other reason to leave.
Pitt will hopefully get two frosh and two juco's before long.

Nope. Would rather sit a year and maybe go to 3 NCAAT's then rebuild for another 2 years and maybe go to the NCAAT as seniors.

Reactions: gary2
This is not unexpected. Capel gets no blame here obviously but it is interesting that he couldn't recruit Carr and Stewart to stay to play for him.

Like it or not, 0-19 is probable. Capel has to land like a Top 10 2019 class if this rebuild will be expedited in any way. While a Top 25 class would be nice, that would be a slower 3-4 year build.

Lineup:

PG - Joe Mascaro/Malik Ellison
SG - Malik Ellison/Kham Davis
SF - JWF/Davis
PF - Stevenson/George
C - Brown/Peace

That right there is a bottom-level A10 team

Great is subjective, but what they heck. A few predictions for fun.

• If Luther stays healthy, he has a very solid final year at 'Zona. I think he averages close to a double-double there if his foot problems don't resurface.
  • Stewart has a very good career, with solid shooting and production for his remaining three years. Whether that's at a major or mid-major, who knows. I'm hearing that playing for his dad is still a strong possibility, but regardless of where he lands, I think he's a player to be reckoned with.
  • I like Carr's potential if he goes to the right program. I think if he lands at OSU or Michigan, he could wind up being an integral piece on a high-quality team. Minnesota or Marquette, who the heck knows. IMO, he's an idiot if he goes to MN or Marquette, as neither Pitino nor Wojo are particularly stable HCs and he could wind up in this same situation within a year or two (fired HC).
  • Golden is my sleeper. The kid has been rising up the rankings boards; he can shoot the ball, his older brother (who was not as highly ranked) is a stud at Richmond, and Bryce is the epitome of the 21st century 4. If he picks the right program, I think he's the kid of this bunch who could wind up being a star.
  • Kingsby, we hardly knew ya. Good luck at New Mexico A&M&T.

Last edited:

• If Luther stays healthy, he has a very solid final year at 'Zona. I think he averages close to a double-double there if his foot problems don't resurface.
  • Stewart has a very good career, with solid shooting and production for his remaining three years. Whether that's at a major or mid-major, who knows. I'm hearing that playing for his dad is still a strong possibility, but regardless of where he lands, I think he's a player to be reckoned with.
  • I like Carr's potential if he goes to the right program. I think if he lands at OSU or Michigan, he could wind up being a star. Minnesota or Marquette, who the heck knows. IMO, he's an idiot if he goes to MN or Marquette, as neither Pitino nor Wojo are particularly stable HCs and he could wind up in this same situation within a year or two (fired HC).
  • Golden is my sleeper. The kid has been rising up the rankings boards; he can shoot the ball, his older brother (who was not as highly ranked) is a stud at Richmond, and Bryce is the epitome of the 21st century 4. If he picks the right program, I think he's the kid of this bunch who could wind up being a star.
He won't see significant minutes at OSU and they will recruit over him. But it is his life and he can go where he pleases.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Wow , you read on twitter that Big 10 schools where looking at him and you assume those schools. Anyways I am being optimistic about Capel's ability to recruit ok dude.

I am very optimistic on Capel's ability to recruit too, I just thought your post didn't make sense. Losing Stewart and Carr isn't about "they're afraid of how good we're going to be!" type stuff.

Considering who Capel is recruiting and who has suddenly put Pitt as a favorite, I think Capel knew this a little while ago. Carr is just announcing it now and he also knew that Capel was recruiting over him. His playing time at Pitt, even next year, would have been reduced, possibly significantly depending on how well the new guys develop.

The next few weeks will be telling, especially regarding the PG position. It should be very interesting and this could be something that helps Pitt next year and beyond.

Reactions: levance2
Considering who Capel is recruiting and who has suddenly put Pitt as a favorite, I think Capel knew this a little while ago. Carr is just announcing it now and he also knew that Capel was recruiting over him. His playing time at Pitt, even next year, would have been reduced, possibly significantly depending on how well the new guys develop.

The next few weeks will be telling, especially regarding the PG position. It should be very interesting and this could be something that helps Pitt next year and beyond.

Capel was not recruiting over Marcus. That's just a factually inaccurate assertion.

Reactions: gary2

Asking any freshman to totally handle the point in the ACC is asking a lot.

I hope if we do start a freshman at the point, we also bring in a grad transfer of JCT point that can capably spell him as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach

• I like Carr's potential if he goes to the right program. I think if he lands at OSU or Michigan, he could wind up being a star. Minnesota or Marquette, who the heck knows. IMO, he's an idiot if he goes to MN or Marquette, as neither Pitino nor Wojo are particularly stable HCs and he could wind up in this same situation within a year or two (fired HC).

There's virtually no chance that what you're predicting happens. You've basically predicted the ceiling for each kid other than Kingsby.

Reactions: Jpripper88
This is not unexpected. Capel gets no blame here obviously but it is interesting that he couldn't recruit Carr and Stewart to stay to play for him.

Like it or not, 0-19 is probable. Capel has to land like a Top 10 2019 class if this rebuild will be expedited in any way. While a Top 25 class would be nice, that would be a slower 3-4 year build.

Lineup:

SF - JWF/Davis
PF - Stevenson/George
C - Brown/Peace

I don't expect that is the way the team will look. More likely:

PG - Someone Good/ a backup
2G - Ellison/Davis
SF - Frame/Davis
PF - Stevenson/ Someone decent
C - Brown/Peace

I believe it is possible, Capel even improves on the likely.

Lineup:

SF - JWF/Davis
PF - Stevenson/George
C - Brown/Peace

Yeah, let's sweat over a lineup that isn't near complete.

Lineup:

SF - JWF/Davis
PF - Stevenson/George
C - Brown/Peace

Yeah, let's sweat over a lineup that isn't near complete.

I'm not sweating. I fully expect 0-19. Next year doesn't matter to me. The 2019 class is the most important thing. Anything he can get in 2018 is just a bonus

There's virtually no chance that what you're predicting happens. You've basically predicted the ceiling for each kid other than Kingsby.

I'm predicting that Luther will simply repeat what he did this year. I'm suggesting in the right program that Carr COULD excel, but that in the wrong program might never be heard from again. I'm suggesting Parker will have a solid, if unspectacular, career. And I think if there's a star among these young men, it's Golden.

So, basically, I'm saying Luther's already hit his ceiling and, if healthy, can repeat it at 'Zona; that Parker should continue to improve incrementally each year and have a solid college career (he already scored 10 ppg as a freshmen, shooting 42%+ in ACC play); that Carr, should he wind up in the right program and right role might be on ESPN regularly or might slip into the abyss, and that Golden is the kid who could become a real stud.

How is that projecting ceiling for every kid?

I'm predicting that Luther will simply repeat what he did this year. I'm suggesting in the right program that Carr COULD excel, but that in the wrong program might never be heard from again. I'm suggesting Parker will have a solid, if unspectacular, career. And I think if there's a star among these young men, it's Golden.

So, basically, I'm saying Luther's already hit his ceiling and, if healthy, can repeat it at 'Zona; that Parker should continue to improve incrementally each year and have a solid college career (he already scored 10 ppg as a freshmen, shooting 42%+ in ACC play); that Carr, should he wind up in the right program and right role might be on ESPN regularly or might slip into the abyss, and that Golden is the kid who could become a real stud.

I think your analysis is spot on.

A question on something else. I would appreciate your opinion.

I believe recruiting starts in earnest this weekend.

If you were Capel, what percentages of your efforts would you devote to filling next years rosters versus seeing kids for 2019/2020 ? - We do have a complete staff at this point - Thanx

Last edited:

Luther will match what he did this year(when he played 30+ minutes against scrub competition in the OOC schedule), when he's playing less minutes against better competition?

You used the word "star" in both descriptions of Carr and Golden.

Here's what I think.
  • Luther plays 15-20 minutes a game and averages 6 or 7 points and 5 or 6 rebounds. Because that's what he is on team with any talent.
  • Carr plays 20-25 minutes a game and is a 12 ppg kind of guy.
  • Stewart is what he was this season. A shooter, who if given an open look can knock some shots down
  • Golden is likely to be a Ryan Luther
None of them will be stars.

Luther will match what he did this year(when he played 30+ minutes against scrub competition in the OOC schedule), when he's playing less minutes against better competition?

You used the word "star" in both descriptions of Carr and Golden.

Here's what I think.
  • Luther plays 15-20 minutes a game and averages 6 or 7 points and 5 or 6 rebounds. Because that's what he is on team with any talent.
  • Carr plays 20-25 minutes a game and is a 12 ppg kind of guy.
  • Stewart is what he was this season. A shooter, who if given an open look can knock some shots down
  • Golden is likely to be a Ryan Luther
None of them will be stars.

Cool. I said it was for fun.

I think more of these guys than you do, and that's fine. FWIW, Luther averaged a double-double against our non-con tourney and NIT opponents this year—WVU, PSU, OKST, and Montana. Most of those teams are better than what Luther will see night in and night out in the Pac12. Plus, Luther won't necessarily be the focus at 'Zona. If Miller finds the right role for him, he should excel.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT