ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Game & Other Dribbles ...

Frankly, even if he’s in the game, stop running plays for him.

Pitt does not, ever, run plays to get Nate Santos shots. Nate Santos gets shots because sometimes when we run our regular offense he is open and he takes shots. Which is what he should be doing when he is on the court. If you are going to play him you have to let him take open shots when they present themselves.

Pitt does not, ever, run plays to get Nate Santos shots. Nate Santos gets shots because sometimes when we run our regular offense he is open and he takes shots. Which is what he should be doing when he is on the court. If you are going to play him you have to let him take open shots when they present themselves.
That’s the way I saw it. Didn’t look like Pitt was running any plays for him, only that he was there for open shots. Of course there could be an intentional reason on the part of Clemson why he was left open for shots.

The out of bounds call was completely a miss. I checked the replay and none the three refs were in a spot to see it accurately unfortunately.

Although after our win against UNC, my son went on the UNC reddit game thread and there were literally dozens of posts there complaining about how the refs cost them that game. Funny how we Pitt fans didn't think that refs were the reason we won.
Just about every other major sport allows teams to challenge calls. Maybe it's time for college basketball to allow coaches one or two a game. This particular call was as bad a miss as there is. It would have taken two seconds to overturn it.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
The out of bounds call was completely a miss. I checked the replay and none the three refs were in a spot to see it accurately unfortunately.

Although after our win against UNC, my son went on the UNC reddit game thread and there were literally dozens of posts there complaining about how the refs cost them that game. Funny how we Pitt fans didn't think that refs were the reason we won.
@DT_PITT, a question I wondered about on the 3 point play Tyson made in the 1H where he drove the baseline from the left corner, dunked and was fouled? It looked like he pulled the rim down before he dunked the ball.

Was the basket allowed even though he pulled the rim down because he was fouled? Because otherwise wouldn’t that have been offensive basket interference? It looked like at first the officials were not going to rule the basket good. But then they did and Tyson made the FT for a 3 point play.

Reactions: gary2
Wrong. We won the big games by beating UNC and UVA. Those are the teams with names in college basketball. Those are the teams you gear up to play. For as good as Clemson has played recently, you don’t feel the same against them.

Would you feel better if we beat UNC, lost to UVA and then beat Clemson?

It was not hard to see that this game was in a tough spot for them. High intensity and come from behind victories against 2 great programs. Of course you will have a slight let down. And that is all it takes. Now, time to re-focus because nothing is lost. Keep working hard and get better from the loss. People say that you should not lose to certain teams, but that is really the only way you learn and grow. This team will get better because of this loss that was not a bad loss and was against a very good team.
Nah. That kind of loss does not happen to a team turning the corner. That is when you know that they are relentless and will march through all lesser teams. Yeah, they will pull off wins against great teams as well but not all of them. But they will rarely let a lesser team take them down. ANything else is just excuse making.

Nah. That kind of loss does not happen to a team turning the corner. That is when you know that they are relentless and will march through all lesser teams. Yeah, they will pull off wins against great teams as well but not all of them. But they will rarely let a lesser team take them down. ANything else is just excuse making.
Clemson is first in the ACC?

Oh Christ. We were too until yesterday. Do you honestly think Clemson will finish top of the table at seasons end? Not much of an insider are you?
I think the odds are greater than others
Stop hanging on names of programs and watch them play

Clemson will finish near the top
Hopefully pitt will too

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Oh Christ. We were too until yesterday. Do you honestly think Clemson will finish top of the table at seasons end? Not much of an insider are you?
Yes, I think Clemson has a good shot of winning the ACC. They’re talented, old, tough, well coached and shoot it.

Other teams are allowed to win the ACC besides Duke, UNC and UVA. They were the best team I’ve seen in the ACC so far.

They’ve beaten 2 possible tourney ACC teams in the road in Pitt and VT, best possible tourney team NC State and beat the hell out of Wake and GT. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Dude. You’re clueless. Clemson is playing the best in the ACC. They’re the most complete team. Size, quickness, shooting, defense, veteran players. Good coach too.

Yes, I think Clemson has a good shot of winning the ACC. They’re talented, old, tough, well coached and shoot it.

Other teams are allowed to win the ACC besides Duke, UNC and UVA. They were the best team I’ve seen in the ACC so far.

They’ve beaten 2 possible tourney ACC teams in the road in Pitt and VT, best possible tourney team NC State and beat the hell out of Wake and GT. What am I missing?
Sure. Sure they do.

Dude. You’re clueless. Clemson is playing the best in the ACC. They’re the most complete team. Size, quickness, shooting, defense, veteran players. Good coach too.
Good God. Please stop the nonsense. We are now in the phase of extolling the virtues of the opponent we just lost to so that we can feel better about who we are and still firmly hang on to the beliefs we had last week. I tell you what. I will bet you a thousand dollars. You get Clemson to win the ACC and I get the rest of the ACC field. How about it?

FWIW, Pomeroy's projected ACC year end standings are Clemson with 15 wins, Virignia with 14, and then Pitt, Miami and North Carolina with 13, followed by Duke and NC State with 12.

Anyone who thinks that Clemson isn't at least a contender isn't paying attention. Or is, but doesn't know what they are watching.

FWIW, Pomeroy's projected ACC year end standings are Clemson with 15 wins, Virignia with 14, and then Pitt, Miami and North Carolina with 13, followed by Duke and NC State with 12.

Anyone who thinks that Clemson isn't at least a contender isn't paying attention. Or is, but doesn't know what they are watching.
Let’s keep reaching for reinforcement of belief. It is WAYYYYYYY too early to predict anything. I have knowledge of Pitt and this staff and although I would be ecstatic if we ended up on the win side near to 13, I also know that this staff has had a way to implode come February. So my view is definitely colored by that. I will literally admit that I do not know tons about Clemson but applaud them for where they are. Maybe their Rivals board is posting that taking care of business against Pitt on the road is what a team who is turning the corner should definitely be doing. I don’t know.

Well the funny thing is that one side of this argument has lots of reinforcement that they can reach for. And the other side has, well, the opinion of someone who just admitted that he really hasn't paid much attention to what he is talking about.

So there is that.
YOu really are reading challenged aren’t you? Let’s believe the happy boys Because they are happy.

Well the funny thing is that one side of this argument has lots of reinforcement that they can reach for. And the other side has, well, the opinion of someone who just admitted that he really hasn't paid much attention to what he is talking about.

So there is that.
You beat a NC State team that you haven’t beaten in forever and on the road that is impressive. You beat the preseason NUMBER ONE team in the country anytime anywhere that is impressive. You beat one of the most disciplined teams in UVA That is impressive. You lose at home to Clemson regardless of their standing you cannot take anything positive out of that. You simply cannot.

Blue and Gold glasses dude. The rest of the world is saying yeah its the same Pitt team as the last few years.

Well that's just dumb. The people who are paying attention have us, for the most part, either just in the tournament or just on the outside right now. Did those people think anything of the sort about us the past few years?

It's like as if you can't understand that because YOU don't know that Clemson is pretty good, which you yourself have admitted, that no one else knows it either.

Reactions: Drew1208
Well that's just dumb. The people who are paying attention have us, for the most part, either just in the tournament or just on the outside right now. Did those people think anything of the sort about us the past few years?

It's like as if you can't understand that because YOU don't know that Clemson is pretty good, which you yourself have admitted, that no one else knows it either.
You are the one that said “THE REST OF THE WORLD”. So which is it? The rest of the world or those really knowledgable ffolks who know this was a great loss? I will wait for your tap dance.

Solid retort. Hadn’t thought about that
What else can you do but laugh at someone who says Clemson with their light early schedule is only in danger from Miami? Its like you were born in October and only know current events and not actual History.

What else can you do but laugh at someone who says Clemson with their light early schedule is only in danger from Miami? Its like you were born in October and only know current events and not actual History.
UNC isn’t that good. UVA can’t score. Who are you expecting to beat them?

You are the one that said “THE REST OF THE WORLD”. So which is it? The rest of the world or those really knowledgable ffolks who know this was a great loss? I will wait for your tap dance.

There is no tap dance. There are people like you, who aren't paying attention and even sometimes admit to it, who don't know what they are talking about. And then there are other people who are paying attention and who do know what they are talking about.

Do you really think that because we lost to Clemson yesterday that everyone thinks that we are no better now than we were last year or two or three years ago?

We’ll if Pomeroy is correct, the question then becomes…are 13 wins sufficient to make the dance?

We’ll if Pomeroy is correct, the question then becomes…are 13 wins sufficient to make the dance?

Its difficult to answer that question because its going to come down to who we beat "where" in comparison to other schools. The most important thing for us right now is to stack Quad 1 wins and get as many as we can, ACC Tournament included. We have 4, which is great for now. We will be in really good shape if we beat Duke on the road. This game is big.

The 2nd most important thing from here is no bad losses. Losing to teams like Clemson doesnt hurt. We cant take a loss to a Georgia Tech, BC, Louisville. Im not sure on FSU because of the Baba Miller situation and how that is going to be looked upon, but losing to them will hurt our overall metrics.

You beat a NC State team that you haven’t beaten in forever and on the road that is impressive. You beat the preseason NUMBER ONE team in the country anytime anywhere that is impressive. You beat one of the most disciplined teams in UVA That is impressive. You lose at home to Clemson regardless of their standing you cannot take anything positive out of that. You simply cannot.
Nobody took a positive out of a loss
We lost
Clemson is one of the best teams in the acc
If you don’t know that it’s because you aren’t paying attention

Let’s keep reaching for reinforcement of belief. It is WAYYYYYYY too early to predict anything. I have knowledge of Pitt and this staff and although I would be ecstatic if we ended up on the win side near to 13, I also know that this staff has had a way to implode come February. So my view is definitely colored by that. I will literally admit that I do not know tons about Clemson but applaud them for where they are. Maybe their Rivals board is posting that taking care of business against Pitt on the road is what a team who is turning the corner should definitely be doing. I don’t know.
So you are making your comment based on Pitt’s past performance and we are making it based on how the team has performed and how Clemson has performed. No need to shout anyone down, we’ll just see who is closer to being right at the end of the year.

As for myself, I think Clemson was impressive yesterday and do believe they will finish in the upper half of the ACC. I was impressed with their road wins against VT and Pitt. However, I also think we are pretty good and will finish in the upper half of the ACC too.

I know there was one set yesterday, I think out of a timeout, where Nate ran the baseline got the pass, immediately went up. Looked like a set play to me, I don’t know.

All I know is he can’t shoot. He did have a good +/- yesterday, but sometimes that can be a bit deceiving depending on who Clemson was playing. He had a great game rebounding. All I’m saying is he is a terrible shooter and at this point I’m not even sure he should shoot it if he’s wide open.

When Clemson went to the match up zone in the final minutes of the second half, it stymied Pitt a bit. Burton could no longer back his man down into the post.

Reactions: Drew1208
** Before today’s game, I had the pleasure of spending some thoughts and beverages with several of my friends and fellow posters, including @Bethlehemjohn . Like me, John follows both Pitt Hoops and College Hoops very, very closely.

** And for better or worse, John also follows (and participates) in sports betting much more closely that I as well.

** So I asked John whether he had placed any kind of wager on today’s outcome and he rapidly replied he did not want to touch it.

** The line had Pitt at -2 ½ and John just didn’t have a great feeling about this game. As is often the case, he made a pretty good case why this one could go either way.

** And while this shouldn’t make anyone feel any better about the outcome, the long and short of it is that this contest went pretty much as John suggested it would.

** As such, we Panther fans are left to undergo a fascinating, if not completely frustrating exercise in perspective.

** So let’s start that exercise at the top, this being the general assessment of this game at face value. My assessment tells me our Panthers played a pretty good game against a pretty good team.

** For the most part, I watched a team who played well enough to win. Sure, once again we fell behind early, but once Nate hit a shot, we actually led at the half

** But we ground our way to an 8 point, then a 7 point late second half lead. We didn’t lose that lead exactly, but we just couldn’t hit the shots needed to keep it.

** The Tigers way back included two banked in shots, including at least one of which looked like it wasn’t intentional.

** Perhaps a little better thrown ally-ooop pass by Nelly and this one is tied with 10 seconds to go.

** Now here comes the perspective. Is this a completely legit loss by a single digit against a fine foe? Or was this a huge missed opportunity by a team who was not capable of making the one or two more needed plays to win that a better team usually can make?

** Although I will certainly lean hard toward the former, I’m also reminded of many thoughts and posts from January 23 of two years ago when the Panthers followed up a win against Duke at home with a loss against Wake Forest on the road.

** Many, including me, offered perspective after that one point loss, which instead turned out to be the beginning of a 1-8 stretch and a complete team implosion.

** From the best I can tell however, what troubled that team and what drives this one is a completely different set of circumstances. And more simply, Clemson is much better this year than Wake Forest was that year.

** So let’s retreat to the some more objective facts.

** Jamarius is really, really good. It’s hard to think he isn’t playing his way to first team All ACC. And despite a splendid 3-6 from deep this day, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better mid range guard threat in all of college hoops.

** Nate filled in fine, but perhaps we should give up on the notion that he’s a good outside shooter. With each of his three point attempts in the second half, I stood up and yelled “C’mon ONE TIME!” After each time, my son reminded me saying “Dad, we already got our one time in the first half.”

** Off the court, this might have indeed been the first five digit crowd and the Pete since January of 2017. I even got stuck in traffic exciting Oakland on Fifth Avenue.

** Despite the size of the crowd though, I should also say that the crowd wasn’t notably loud in support today. In that sense, I get the notion that much of the Panther Hoops nation is still a little stuck wondering if we should get totally invested behind the Panthers this year.

** In other words, should we really believe in full this edition of the Panthers is on an NCAA tournament path, or do losses like today tell us something else?

** I’m not going to suggest that I certainly have the correct answer to that question. Only time will yield truth.

** For now, I can only otherwise add that I’m grateful that we are playing games that matter at this point, and hope it will continue for the next two months.

** I’m also glad there are reasons to want to get together pregame with PantherLair friends, and as much as losses hurt, I’m glad we are still at the point where losses matter a great deal, and we need to try dissect what they mean.

** Time to go on the road! Here’s hoping our men can find a way to get two of three! Such a result would offer us some really great perspective of this team, even to the point where almost all fans like me can get on board 100% that we've really got something this year.
Wondering if you saw the last few minutes the way I did once they went to the zone? Obvious strategy is to have the ball in JBs hands thru the possession if they are in man. But vs the zone, I don't like for him to hold the ball then call for a high ball screen with around 10 on the shot clock. They have had pretty good success attacking the zones, especially with Hinton flashing to the middle. I just don't think you can rely on attacking a zone with a high ball screen and dribble penetration late in the shot clock. This also hurt them when they had the lead against Cuse, although they were trying to milk the clock in that situation. As great a game as JB was having, I think it's a bit much to ask him to penetrate against the collapsing zone.

Wondering if you saw the last few minutes the way I did once they went to the zone? Obvious strategy is to have the ball in JBs hands thru the possession if they are in man. But vs the zone, I don't like for him to hold the ball then call for a high ball screen with around 10 on the shot clock. They have had pretty good success attacking the zones, especially with Hinton flashing to the middle. I just don't think you can rely on attacking a zone with a high ball screen and dribble penetration late in the shot clock. This also hurt them when they had the lead against Cuse, although they were trying to milk the clock in that situation. As great a game as JB was having, I think it's a bit much to ask him to penetrate against the collapsing zone.
That’s exactly what you never do against a zone. If you penetrate you do it from the wing or baseline corner.

That’s exactly what you never do against a zone. If you penetrate you do it from the wing or baseline corner.
Yep. As soon as I see us run the shot clock down without any attempted passes to the post to break down the D, then call for a high ball screen, I cringe. Nothing ever good comes out of those possessions. This was the only area in this game that I might fault the coaches for.

Yep. As soon as I see us run the shot clock down without any attempted passes to the post to break down the D, then call for a high ball screen, I cringe. Nothing ever good comes out of those possessions. This was the only area in this game that I might fault the coaches for.
That’s when you call a timeout and set up a quick hitter off a zone offense and not try and run a man offensive action like a high screen and roll against their zone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT