ADVERTISEMENT

Dior update

If he's to attend classes, by what date does he need to complete his enrollment? Will that be permitted by the Board and the university if he's not even allowed on campus? I think what DelGreco said was accurate. They have to wait until the Board makes a final decision on his status. And we don't know when that will happen. I know DelGreco will push to get a decision ASAP.
Academic Calendar says January 9 is both the last day to enroll and the first day of classes. Of course, exceptions could be made after that, I suppose.

Reactions: Drew1208
Exactly my thought on the matter.

Also, as far as being prohibited from campus, Dior wasn't convicted of a felony, so as his attorney stated, the blanket prohibition should be removed.

He wants them to revisit the prohibition in light of the reduction of charges. Now it's up to the Dean, AD and coach, I suppose.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Gotta disagree with you somewhat on the transition of courts from divine right to individual right.

Divine right died in England on January 30, 1649 when they lopped off Charles I’s head. There were plenty of individual rights outlined in the English Bill of Rights a good 100 years before the Constitution.
Good point. This is a topic I've become interested in lately so I guess I have to check out the transition of power to Parliament and how the English BOR was developed. All I recall is a bunch of nobles gave the king an ultimatum. Runnymede?

I'm at the age I've forgotten most of what I ever learned. 😢

Reactions: NTOP and Ski11585
If the state of PA thinks he should be allowed to go about his life, why should anyone else feel differently? I am having a really hard time understanding what this has to do with basketball.
I despise the punishment after the judicial system does it’s job. You don’t like the judiciary, then start paying attention to your votes.
Once you have “paid your debt to society” you should be able to have rights and privileges restored. If on probation, nothing creates more trouble than idle time.
Let him join the team.

He's not permitted on campus until the Board reviews his status. He supposedly is going to Western Psych, which is in Oakland. Two separate issues. Your sources are either wrong or you can't read. Take a remedial reading class or something. Then learn some respect and maybe sprout a brain. Please quit bothering people with your drivel and nonsense.

I'm done with you and with this nonsense. I don't care what happens as long as this crap is out of the news and he gets the help he so desperately needs. Whether he's at Pitt or playing for Pitt is secondary.
"My understanding of the policy is an individual who is either charged with a felony or is convicted of a felony is, per se, ineligible to be on campus or to participate in those kind of matters,” Del Greco said. “He has now been convicted of two misdemeanors, which I think removes the blanket prohibition."

This seems to indicate that, since he is no longer facing felony charges, the prohibition on his being on campus is removed.

But is the crime against society, or is the government simply my representative when dealing with criminal offenses? Assuming that we institute government to protect our rights, and that we as individuals pursuantly elect representatives to enact laws on our behalf, are not our elected judges and prosecutors, along with the law inforcement personnel we hire, simply our representatives also? They all exist to serve each of us as individuals no? Isn't "society" nothing more that a plurality of individuals in this context?

There was a time when the language was "the crown versus the defendant", however we are no longer subjects. Does the contemporary language of "the people versus the defendant" then presume that an all powerful king has been replaced by an all powerful democratic State? If so, then does it not follow that the State then also defines and dictates rights as did the king? Alas, that is not a principle of government upon which society (the collective individuals) stipulated to at this country's founding.

Yet, we also must admit that our legal system transitioned from that of a crown to a republic, based on individual rights rather that a king's divine right. Based on that, I would argue that the term "the people" is leftover jargon from an antiquated legal system and should be discarded just as was the term "subject". It's an interesting debate and one which is likely far from Dior's mind at this time. 🙆

Hope you are enjoying the holidays, Franb.
That is more detail than I was aware of, but in general I agree with your point that the government represents "we the people," and acts on our behalf. In some respects, this comes down to semantics, and is more involved than I suspect any of us want to delve into. By the way, there is also the concept of "victimless crimes," which are prosecuted solely on behalf of society as a whole, since no individual is claiming harm.

Thanks for the holiday wish, and likewise to you!

Reactions: BPKY
"My understanding of the policy is an individual who is either charged with a felony or is convicted of a felony is, per se, ineligible to be on campus or to participate in those kind of matters,” Del Greco said. “He has now been convicted of two misdemeanors, which I think removes the blanket prohibition."

This seems to indicate that, since he is no longer facing felony charges, the prohibition on his being on campus is removed.
He said "I think removes the blanket prohibition". That is his assumption. He also said they are awaiting word from the Dean, AD and coach to see if they remove his prohibition to be on campus. I know it's splitting hairs, but that is the way this reads. But your point is taken and it seems to be pointing in a direction where he can at least begin taking classes.

I did know. I said if they dont announce within a week, then that means he isnt playing this season and are just waiting for the official meeting to make it official as they follow the official process. If he was going to play, they would have had a quick meeting on Zoom and he would have played Saturday.

we're approaching 3 weeks, and some folks are still saying he'll be eligible.

quick meeting and have him play? do you know what school he goes to?

This is beyond pathetic from the University. If they're waiting until the 9th, I'm not shocked. Such a typical thing to do from a program that hasn't won $hit in 6 years.

we're approaching 3 weeks, and some folks are still saying he'll be eligible.

quick meeting and have him play? do you know what school he goes to?
It’s on the exact same timeline I laid out in the opener. Not sure why you would think that would change. Pitt has a process in place to return a student who was suspended for the university and it’s not going to change because he plead down to the lesser of hitting a woman. Dayon Hayes situation is apples and oranges.
This is beyond pathetic from the University. If they're waiting until the 9th, I'm not shocked. Such a typical thing to do from a program that hasn't won $hit in 6 years.
Dior is found money. Capel went into the season thinking he was gonna roll with this team. The constant crying and bitching that a kid who was on campus for less than a week with the team not playing is somehow unfair to a 5th year coach who planned on this exact team going into the season is just excuse making and rationalization if we lose.

The university has a process and will follow it no matter how much you or anyone else bitches. We’re not talking about a choir boy with no history of instability here. A lot of factors need to be taken into account into his return to campus and return to play.

It’s on the exact same timeline I laid out in the opener. Not sure why you would think that would change. Pitt has a process in place to return a student who was suspended for the university and it’s not going to change because he plead down to the lesser of hitting a woman. Dayon Hayes situation is apples and oranges.

Dior is found money. Capel went into the season thinking he was gonna roll with this team. The constant crying and bitching that a kid who was on campus for less than a week with the team not playing is somehow unfair to a 5th year coach who planned on this exact team going into the season is just excuse making and rationalization if we lose.

The university has a process and will follow it no matter how much you or anyone else bitches. We’re not talking about a choir boy with no history of instability here. A lot of factors need to be taken into account into his return to campus and return to play.
Especially since the team he ended up building without Dior ended up being pretty decent? This offseason was a pretty solid job of roster building by the staff, even if they had rolled with Jawara over Dior and McNeilly hadn’t had the thing come up.

I think Dior was worth the risk, especially since it turns out that the rest of the roster was solid. But he’s always been a bonus versus a cornerstone.

Especially since the team he ended up building without Dior ended up being pretty decent? This offseason was a pretty solid job of roster building by the staff, even if they had rolled with Jawara over Dior and McNeilly hadn’t had the thing come up.

I think Dior was worth the risk, especially since it turns out that the rest of the roster was solid. But he’s always been a bonus versus a cornerstone.

and I've been consistent with that exact point. Bench guy that has to earn minutes.

What is McNeilly up to?

don't switch the narrative here. it has nothing to do with who's the coach, but everything to do with how it's handled. if it was Jamie or Stallings, I'd be just as mad. sorry if I don't take your word for it.. other past predictions have led me not to.

there's two distinct differences with Hayes: 1) football & 2) the final charges handed down by the court. Both dudes put their hands on a woman. Apples to oranges? sure. we can be that dense about it.

Reactions: Jim Z
don't switch the narrative here. it has nothing to do with who's the coach, but everything to do with how it's handled. if it was Jamie or Stallings, I'd be just as mad. sorry if I don't take your word for it.. other past predictions have led me not to.

there's two distinct differences with Hayes: 1) football & 2) the final charges handed down by the court. Both dudes put their hands on a woman. Apples to oranges? sure. we can be that dense about it.
I thought it was stupid Hayes played too. I think he should’ve been suspended for the season…

Yeah, just a minor detail. 😳

doesn't matter. Pitt already confirmed they're speculating on their end.. hence a decision not being made yet. charges are very clear in both cases. if end result is all that matters, there'd be a blanket suspension/expulsion in place for each category.

Am I the only one who thinks even entertaining bringing him back is crazy?

The team is playing well, why would you jeopardize that by inserting a known wild card? He’s a talented kid who obviously has some issues that extend far beyond the court.

My stance remains that they should do everything they can to support him, get him the help he needs, and assist him in his next move. That’s the price to pay for bringing him here in the first place and it’s just common decency to not cast a troubled kid aside. That said, unless it’s a role as a practice body where he’s just working out to maintain fitness and help the team prepare, he should not be allowed to jump back in. You have the first signs of life in a while, why throw that away by introducing a talented but highly combustible individual to the mix?

Am I the only one who thinks even entertaining bringing him back is crazy?

The team is playing well, why would you jeopardize that by inserting a known wild card? He’s a talented kid who obviously has some issues that extend far beyond the court.

My stance remains that they should do everything they can to support him, get him the help he needs, and assist him in his next move. That’s the price to pay for bringing him here in the first place and it’s just common decency to not cast a troubled kid aside. That said, unless it’s a role as a practice body where he’s just working out to maintain fitness and help the team prepare, he should not be allowed to jump back in. You have the first signs of life in a while, why throw that away by introducing a talented but highly combustible individual to the mix?

what do you think the ceiling is without Dior? I'm the only one who's been outspoken about this team being a tournament team for the last few weeks. Everyone else thinks 10 wins maybe in the ACC. Even with my optimistic thoughts, I still think adding Dior is a no brainer.

Do you think they're currently a tournament team? If not, we really don't want to take a chance to add an elite talent to the roster to get us over the hump? You'd rather settle for like 18 wins?

what do you think the ceiling is without Dior? I'm the only one who's been outspoken about this team being a tournament team for the last few weeks. Everyone else thinks 10 wins maybe in the ACC. Even with my optimistic thoughts, I still think adding Dior is a no brainer.

Do you think they're currently a tournament team? If not, we really don't want to take a chance to add an elite talent to the roster to get us over the hump? You'd rather settle for like 18 wins?

I think this is an NIT team, barring wins (they’d need a few) over Duke/UNC/UVA/Miami/etc. The lack of a marquee non-conference schedule, and wins from that schedule, are killer in a year where the ACC isn’t great.

Without knowing the kid personally, it’s hard to look at his circumstances from the outside and draw any conclusion other than he’s got some serious baggage. Why would you want to introduce a combustible element to a team that is starting to gel? If you’re a guy that has been in the mix from the start, how is it going to play when a guy walks right off the street and starts taking your minutes? It would hardly be the first time internal strife has hurt on-court results, so why even risk it?

The rankings and the hype videos tell us the kid is talented, but there’s a reason for his current predicament. 10 High schools, 3 college commitments, no shortage of character concern discussion, and then the arrest. At some point blind optimism has to give way to common sense

I think this is an NIT team, barring wins (they’d need a few) over Duke/UNC/UVA/Miami/etc. The lack of a marquee non-conference schedule, and wins from that schedule, are killer in a year where the ACC isn’t great.

Without knowing the kid personally, it’s hard to look at his circumstances from the outside and draw any conclusion other than he’s got some serious baggage. Why would you want to introduce a combustible element to a team that is starting to gel? If you’re a guy that has been in the mix from the start, how is it going to play when a guy walks right off the street and starts taking your minutes? It would hardly be the first time internal strife has hurt on-court results, so why even risk it?

The rankings and the hype videos tell us the kid is talented, but there’s a reason for his current predicament. 10 High schools, 3 college commitments, no shortage of character concern discussion, and then the arrest. At some point blind optimism has to give way to common sense
Not to mention kicked out of 2 HS’s for fighting every day in practice.

It is absolute insane to entertain bringing him back. A possible NIT berth could turn into a bottom falling out and firing real quick.

I won't contend any of the baggage regarding Dior - I won't pretend like I know the kid. All we can go off of is what you outlined and it's not great by any stretch.

Back to your first paragraph.. NIT team.. l guess you'd call that progress, but is it? We have the oldest team in the conference. We aren't returning our 4 guards. It's not like we'd be really building anything since we have to retool the back court, at the very least.

I see your points about previous teams blowing up, but this Capel team is much different than previous ones. This group is together. They're older. They want to win. If Dior doesn't share these values, then no, you don't bring him back. If he does, then you give him a shot. You guarantee ZERO minutes from the start. Let him work. Let him win over his teammates.

I'm outspoken about Pitt completely Pitting this situation becasue we're headed into conference play .. 2-3 games per week. There won't be many practice windows.. just walk throughs. If they reinstated him as soon as the plea deal was reached, you give the kid and team a chance to mesh together to see if you can make it work. Now you have ZERO practice time to get him into the mix. You give both parties no time to see if they can work together in a positive way. It's simply a joke with how this was handled and I refuse to accept the idea it's because of classes. MAKE A DAMN EXCEPTION FOR YOUR ACC HOOPS PROGRAM.

I think its easy.
You bring him back.
If he's a problem.
You tell him to get the fucc out of here.
Make it cut and dry.

I won't contend any of the baggage regarding Dior - I won't pretend like I know the kid. All we can go off of is what you outlined and it's not great by any stretch.

Back to your first paragraph.. NIT team.. l guess you'd call that progress, but is it? We have the oldest team in the conference. We aren't returning our 4 guards. It's not like we'd be really building anything since we have to retool the back court, at the very least.

I see your points about previous teams blowing up, but this Capel team is much different than previous ones. This group is together. They're older. They want to win. If Dior doesn't share these values, then no, you don't bring him back. If he does, then you give him a shot. You guarantee ZERO minutes from the start. Let him work. Let him win over his teammates.

I'm outspoken about Pitt completely Pitting this situation becasue we're headed into conference play .. 2-3 games per week. There won't be many practice windows.. just walk throughs. If they reinstated him as soon as the plea deal was reached, you give the kid and team a chance to mesh together to see if you can make it work. Now you have ZERO practice time to get him into the mix. You give both parties no time to see if they can work together in a positive way. It's simply a joke with how this was handled and I refuse to accept the idea it's because of classes. MAKE A DAMN EXCEPTION FOR YOUR ACC HOOPS PROGRAM.

I would view an NIT berth as progress. It buys Capel another year to work in the portal and get a solid recruiting class on campus.

The program needs momentum. If they make the NIT and can pick off some wins there, you’re in a much better place going into 2023.

I think its easy.
You bring him back.
If he's a problem.
You tell him to get the fucc out of here.
Make it cut and dry.

Except if you bring him back and he is a problem, cutting him likely doesn’t undo the damage.

Recruiting him in the first place was a mistake born of desperation. They have the opportunity to not make the same mistake twice and signal to the guys who are in uniform that he believes in them as constructed.

I would view an NIT berth as progress. It buys Capel another year to work in the portal and get a solid recruiting class on campus.

The program needs momentum. If they make the NIT and can pick off some wins there, you’re in a much better place going into 2023.

Except if you bring him back and he is a problem, cutting him likely doesn’t undo the damage.

Recruiting him in the first place was a mistake born of desperation. They have the opportunity to not make the same mistake twice and signal to the guys who are in uniform that he believes in them as constructed.

this team is driven by the backcourt. I love Hinson, but once Burton, Nelly, and Elliot started moving the ball and finding their roles, the team took a few steps forward. You lose all 3 of those guys next year and while I have faith in Capel's ability to retool for next year, one of those additions could be playing for you right now and be a contributor to this year's team.

brining back Dior doesn't signal that Capel doesn't believe in his roster... does that mean we shouldn't try and get John right since we've been winning without him? we almost blew the Cuse game because of guard depth. We need it.

So hypothetically if we beat UNC Friday, are on track to be a bubble team, you’d still add this possible combustible kid to the team? That is insane

While I get your point, he did practice with the team for a month or so. So the players/coaches know what he’s like and I’m sure there will be a group discussion about whether he’s back or not

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT