ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye to Pitt

Mouhamadou Gueye

2 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks versus St. Peters
5 points, 1 rebound, 3 blocks versus Binghamton
3 points, 2 rebounds, 0 blocks versus UMass Lowell

Cherry picking games can be fun!

And hey, at least all of mine were from last year, as opposed to all but one of Doke's being from two years ago. If we want to go back to two years ago we could include four games when Gueye scored 0 points and a total of 10 games where he scored 4 points or fewer, 7 games where he had 4 or fewer rebounds, and 14 games where he blocked 0 or 1 shot.

This is a decent enough pickup for a backup to play 12-15 minutes a game. Stony Brook was only using him 25 minutes a game. If we use him anywhere close to 25 minutes a game it will mean big trouble.
He's a warm body in the frontcourt. Period.

107320-full.jpg

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Nike deferred when there were people to defer to.

Nike shot when there was no one to score.

I expect Burton deferred at Texas Tech.

Hopefully, we will be a balanced team and no one will be deferring or forcing.
Not sure how much "deferring" Burton had the opportunity to do at TT. He was the 6th or 7th guard at TT. That's why he's here.

Not sure how much "deferring" Burton had the opportunity to do at TT. He was the 6th or 7th guard at TT. That's why he's here.
Reply was to DT noting he averaged 19 minutes at Tech.

You can play half the game and score little by “deferring”.

Transfers sometime defer, Nike surely did.

That's silly even if you want to take your usual pessimistic view.

2 years ago, you had T Brown and Ryan Murphy as the first 2 off the bench with nothing behind them.
If you want to take the word "quality" out of the statement, I would not disagree. As it stands right now, I don't see these transfer bigs as being better in any meaningful way than those they are replacing. If this isn't the least talented roster top to bottom in the ACC, it's certainly bottom 3.

This is a roster composed primarily of mid-major level players who were not coveted as transfers by other P6 programs, and younger, inexperienced players who have not proven much if anything yet in ACC play.

Basically for this team the ACC slate will be equivalent to playing an MLB schedule with a AA team.

We'll see how it pans out, but if Capel wins 7-8 ACC games with this crew he should probably be in the discussion for National COY. As I see it, Capel is bringing a knife to a gunfight in the ACC this season.

If you want to take the word "quality" out of the statement, I would not disagree. As it stands right now, I don't see these transfer bigs as being better in any meaningful way than those they are replacing. If this isn't the least talented roster top to bottom in the ACC, it's certainly bottom 3.

This is a roster composed primarily of mid-major level players who were not coveted as transfers by other P6 programs, and younger, inexperienced players who have not proven much if anything yet in ACC play.

Basically for this team the ACC slate will be equivalent to playing an MLB schedule with a AA team.

We'll see how it pans out, but if Capel wins 7-8 ACC games with this crew he should probably be in the discussion for National COY. As I see it, Capel is bringing a knife to a gunfight in the ACC this season.
So if we do well Capel will get all the credit?

If we do poorly, the players are to blame.

Got it. Guess we will not be needing the Covid excuse this season.

So if we do well Capel will get all the credit?

If we do poorly, the players are to blame.

Got it. Guess we will not be needing the Covid excuse this season.
How about if Capel does not adjust to and Coach to the players on hand, it is his fault?

How about if Capel doesn’t realize what school he is coaching at and adjust his style accordingly, it is his fault?

Not understanding one's situation can be a great detriment to success.

Capel is coaching Pitt, notDuke. Wake up to that reality and proceed accordingly.

He will never have the talent here to just roll out the ball. We will never out talent Duke, UNC, etc. We will never have the talent here to win a finesse game.

Our sum needs to be greater than its parts.

Last edited:

he had 4 years to get a gun. 7-8 games he can get a participation trophy. coach of the year is for winners

How about if Capel does not adjust to and Coach to the players on hand, it is his fault?

How about if Capel doesn’t realize what school he is coaching at and adjust his style accordingly, it is his fault?

Not understanding one's situation can be a great detriment to success.

Capel is coaching Pitt, notDuke. Wake up to that reality and proceed accordingly.

He will ever have the talent here to just roll out the ball. He will ever have the talent here to win a finesse game.

Our sum needs to be greater than its parts.
Older,more experienced and hopefully tougher and more committed to defense is what we appear to have.

we have won with that formula before, hopefully this coach is familiar enough with “OUR” history and acts accordingly.

That's silly even if you want to take your usual pessimistic view.

2 years ago, you had T Brown and Ryan Murphy as the first 2 off the bench with nothing behind them.

Yes. You can't look at our bigs from the past few years (heck, most of the last decade) and say that we've had better depth. I'm not saying all of the new guys will pan out but its quality depth that should be able to produce.

Put me down for Femi at 13 and Nike and Ithiel around 10.
This gets back to the
50ppg nonsense and
35ppg that I mentioned
as "possible" although
not a "given."
Your #'s add up to 33pg,
which seeing their talents,
experience, and some actual
game time ACC statistics
tells us what they're
reasonably capable of
producing.

All three producing double
figure ppg's would be great.
They each scored double
figures on and off last
season against ACC teams.
The key IMO is getting
some inside help. If they
don't get the inside help
they will become the focus
of the other team's defense,
and that would spell trouble.

I also see Femi as the leading
scorer of these three.

This gets back to the
50ppg nonsense and
35ppg that I mentioned
as "possible" although
not a "given."
Your #'s add up to 33pg,
game time ACC statistics
tells us what they're
reasonably capable of
producing.

They each scored double
figures on and off last
The key IMO is getting

scorer of these three.

The ball will be in Femi's hands the most -- giving him the most chances to score.

This gets back to the
50ppg nonsense and
35ppg that I mentioned
as "possible" although
not a "given."
Your #'s add up to 33pg,
game time ACC statistics
tells us what they're
reasonably capable of
producing.

They each scored double
figures on and off last
The key IMO is getting

scorer of these three.
Femi is the one player I can see as trying to do too much. I hope he does not do that.

Take that back. I could see Hugley doing that too.

That's alot of words to prove your original statement as silly and incorrect but to each his own.

The ball will be in Femi's hands the most -- giving him the most chances to score.
Actually watching him
last year when X left and
he was getting major
minutes showed me
what he's like as a pg.
IMO he's a scoring PG
as opposed to being a
pass first, distributing
type of pg. He'll still get
his assists. This is a guy
who became a PG later in
his career.

Sorry, but I don't believe
he's gonna score the most
because the "ball will be in
his hands the most." Hell,
who had the ball in his hands
more than James Robinson?
If he does score the most of
the guards it's because of his
floor game and the style of
PG he is. As I'm sure you know,
there's different types of PGs.

With that said, I really like Femi.
Also, not many (including me)
EVER expected him to pan out
as successfully as he did last
year.

Last edited:
Femi is the one player I can see as trying to do too much. I hope he does not do that.

Take that back. I could see Hugley doing that too.
Well Gary, I gotta disagree somewhat.
Hugley is not going to get the ball all
that much in what appears to be a
guard oriented offense. Also, I didn't
see any of that in the little that we
watched him last year. What makes you
say that about Hugley?

As for Femi, I can understand what
you're saying. Again, he's not a
pass first, distributing type of PG.
In fact, he became a PG late in his
career. Hopefully Capel having been
a VERY good PG himself at Duke,
will maybe curtail some of that.
On the other hand, Capel didn't
succeed all that well with X, did
he?...LOL. I can see where you're
coming from with Femi.

Well Gary, I gotta disagree somewhat.
Hugley is not going to get the ball all
that much in what appears to be a
guard oriented offense. Also, I didn't
see any of that in the little that we
watched him last year. What makes you
say that about Hugley?

As for Femi, I can understand what
you're saying. Again, he's not a
pass first, distributing type of PG.
In fact, he became a PG late in his
career. Hopefully Capel having been
a VERY good PG himself at Duke,
will maybe curtail some of that.
On the other hand, Capel didn't
succeed all that well with X, did
he?...LOL. I can see where you're
coming from with Femi.
I thought hen Hugley got the ball, he very seldom gave it up.

There we’re definitely signs he was determined to get his. Just my opinion.

How many shots per game does this translate to? 38 shots in 104 minutes

Last edited:
Actually watching him
last year when X left and
he was getting major
minutes showed me
what he's like as a pg.
IMO he's a scoring PG
as opposed to being a
pass first, distributing
type of pg. He'll still get
his assists. This is a guy
who became a PG later in
his career.

Sorry, but I don't believe
he's gonna score the most
because the "ball will be in
his hands the most." Hell,
who had the ball in his hands
more than James Robinson?
If he does score the most of
the guards it's because of his
floor game and the style of
PG he is. As I'm sure you know,b
there's different types of PGs.

With that said, I really like Femi.
Also, not many (including me)
EVER expected him to pan out
as successfully as he did last
year.

I agree with your thought. "Ball will be in his hands the most" was just a general comment,

And I also agree that he's a scoring PG, much in the mold of Carl Krauser. I really like Femi too. He's my biggest reason for any optimism this year, as I think he can be a top half PG in the ACC this coming year. Maybe even that's selling him sort a bit. I would have really loved watching him together with Justin, but no sense in dwelling upon that.

Reactions: cabe23
I thought hen Hugley got the ball, he very seldom gave it up.

There we’re definitely signs he was determined to get his. Just my opinion.

How many shots per game does this translate to? 38 shots in 104 minutes

Ok I hear ya. Usually when a big
gets it down low and in position,
he's supposed to go up with it. I
didn't notice this about Hugley,
but given our other option down
low (Brown), it makes sense that
he'd go up with it. Let's keep an
eye on it this year and see what
he does.

I agree with your thought. "Ball will be in his hands the most" was just a general comment,

And I also agree that he's a scoring PG, much in the mold of Carl Krauser. I really like Femi too. He's my biggest reason for any optimism this year, as I think he can be a top half PG in the ACC this coming year. Maybe even that's selling him sort a bit. I would have really loved watching him together with Justin, but no sense in dwelling upon that.
One good thing with X leaving,
is the amount of floor time
and experience Femi now has.
This is a guy who got hurt and
missed a lot of time early. I'm
amazed at what he's done. I
hope you're right about "top
half PG in the ACC." Who
woulda thunk it.

Reactions: H2PisIT and gary2
Yes. You can't look at our bigs from the past few years (heck, most of the last decade) and say that we've had better depth. I'm not saying all of the new guys will pan out but its quality depth that should be able to produce.
Should be able to produce in the ACC based on what? Their relatively modest production at Stonybrook, Oakland and JUCO? They will be facing an entirely different level of players, athleticism and coaches in the ACC. 2 of these guys are 6’7 which is seriously undersized for guys that don’t play facing the basket. They will certainly struggle in league play.

There are a lot of posters on this board trying desperately to put lipstick on this pig. It would be wise to reign in those expectations for 2021-22. It ain’t shaping up to be pretty.

Should be able to produce in the ACC based on what? Their relatively modest production at Stonybrook, Oakland and JUCO? They will be facing an entirely different level of players, athleticism and coaches in the ACC. 2 of these guys are 6’7 which is seriously undersized for guys that don’t play facing the basket. They will certainly struggle in league play.

There are a lot of posters on this board trying desperately to put lipstick on this pig. It would be wise to reign in those expectations for 2021-22. It ain’t shaping up to be pretty.
In reality there's no good argument against anyone who is down on the team this year based off of evidence.
They will be picked 3rd to last.
That will be the proper pick.
However i don't think the teams in the back middle are that good or will be that good again.

And positive people like me think they have an opening to make it up to the middle.
However there's nothing in the greatest argument i could make that should convince anyone to feel differently.
But I predict we'll go in circles in speculation of a season that is littered with a million question marks.

Reactions: Chescat
That's alot of words to prove your original statement as silly and incorrect but to each his own.
We will get to see who’s “silly & incorrect” in a few months-I hope it’s me but the odds are it won’t be. This roster is well below the line in any P6 league. I also haven’t seen any evidence the past 3 years that would lead me to believe that we’re going to outcoach anybody.

I also note that as usual you don’t offer any counterpoints. Why don’t you tell us specifically why my assessment is so silly and incorrect?

You may have noticed-although probably not-that some other pretty well respected posters see this situation about the same way I do. Are they also trolls, nitters and the other childish insults you and your like-minded cronies like to throw around liberally?

We will get to see who’s “silly & incorrect” in a few months-I hope it’s me but the odds are it won’t be. This roster is well below the line in any P6 league. I also haven’t seen any evidence the past 3 years that would lead me to believe that we’re going to outcoach anybody.

I also note that as usual you don’t offer any counterpoints. Why don’t you tell us specifically why my assessment is so silly and incorrect?

You may have noticed-although probably not-that some other pretty well respected posters see this situation about the same way I do. Are they also trolls, nitters and the other childish insults you and your like-minded cronies like to throw around liberally?
IMHO, one could argue that the overall roster right now (with a spot still open--or is it two?) looks to be at about the same strength as last year's roster. The big unknown is whether the rest of the ACC is stronger, weaker or about the same as last year. Whichever is the case will likley determine how many ACC wins Pitt can achieve.

Hopefully, with no return of COVID, a full schedule--both OOC and ACC--will get played. Since there hasn't been an overall winning season since the 2015-16 season and just 6 ACC wins each of the past two seasons---finishing over 0.500 overall with at least 7 ACC wins would represent progress. So, something like 9-2 OOC + 7-13 ACC + 1-1 ACCT = 17-16 would at least show a little progress. Hopefully, at least that much positive change will occur. More than that would be gravy, IMHO.

Reactions: Drew1208
In reality there's no good argument against anyone who is down on the team this year based off of evidence.
They will be picked 3rd to last.
That will be the proper pick.
However i don't think the teams in the back middle are that good or will be that good again.

And positive people like me think they have an opening to make it up to the middle.
However there's nothing in the greatest argument i could make that should convince anyone to feel differently.
But I predict we'll go in circles in speculation of a season that is littered with a million question marks.
What you’re saying is........this year will be a real good opportunity for HCJC to show how good of a coach he is....it isn’t.

IMHO, one could argue that the overall roster right now (with a spot still open--or is it two?) looks to be at about the same strength as last year's roster. The big unknown is whether the rest of the ACC is stronger, weaker or about the same as last year. Whichever is the case will likley determine how many ACC wins Pitt can achieve.

Hopefully, with no return of COVID, a full schedule--both OOC and ACC--will get played. Since there hasn't been an overall winning season since the 2015-16 season and just 6 ACC wins each of the past two seasons---finishing over 0.500 overall with at least 7 ACC wins would represent progress. So, something like 9-2 OOC + 7-13 ACC + 1-1 ACCT = 17-16 would at least show a little progress. Hopefully, at least that much positive change will occur. More than that would be gravy, IMHO.
At this point I don’t think we know anywhere near enough to say the overall roster is about the same as last year. Going into last year, the team may not have had a great ACC track record but they had a good bit of ACC experience, relatively decent experience with the core group of 3.

This year is a complete unknown, all the transfers in with good experience but at a much lower level (aside from Burton). Depth to work with going into this year but really a complete unknown.

At this point I don’t think we know anywhere near enough to say the overall roster is about the same as last year. Going into last year, the team may not have had a great ACC track record but they had a good bit of ACC experience, relatively decent experience with the core group of 3.

This year is a complete unknown, all the transfers in with good experience but at a much lower level (aside from Burton). Depth to work with going into this year but really a complete unknown.
Going into last year, we had a 2 year starter at PG who was averaging around 14 a game for his career. We also had Femi already on the roster. So PG is not better.

We had Nike and Horton last year and going into last year and the expectations were both were through the roof. Burton pushes the 2 over slightly even if neither of the other 2 lived up to expectations.

Forwards - Toney and Champ. We had Jeffress and Collier on the bench. Not sure how anyone could say we’re in the same stratosphere at the 3/4 offensively or defensively even with the additions. Those guys aren’t nearly as good as Toney and Champ.

Center - between AKC, Hugley and Brown we had 3 guys playing center who had different skills. Let’s not play revisionist history, most loved AKC before he announced his transfer. Even so, Gueye makes our centers slightly better.

There is absolutely no way anyone could expect this roster to be as good as last year’s preseason based on what I posted above.

Going into last year, we had a 2 year starter at PG who was averaging around 14 a game for his career. We also had Femi already on the roster. So PG is not better.

We had Nike and Horton last year and going into last year and the expectations were both were through the roof. Burton pushes the 2 over slightly even if neither of the other 2 lived up to expectations.

Forwards - Toney and Champ. We had Jeffress and Collier on the bench. Not sure how anyone could say we’re in the same stratosphere at the 3/4 offensively or defensively even with the additions. Those guys aren’t nearly as good as Toney and Champ.

Center - between AKC, Hugley and Brown we had 3 guys playing center who had different skills. Let’s not play revisionist history, most loved AKC before he announced his transfer. Even so, Gueye makes our centers slightly better.

There is absolutely no way anyone could expect this roster to be as good as last year’s preseason based on what I posted above.

That's a good overview of
our talent and depth. At the
off guard position I see a bit
more to be positive about.
Sibande once he got his legs,
and got some real playing
time showed he can help.
Horton should be better,
and the two additions will
give us more depth.

The rest of your review is
right on IMO.

Sorry ...I'm just trying to be honest. That's all I've ever done in any of my posts. I just don't believe these guys who we have recruited are difference makers.

I don't mind any of the crap I took for the Duke game. I was just being honest then too.

Keep in mind that about 5-6 weeks ago, I also said that if Justin returned and we got either Reid and/or Hugley, we'd have a chance to finish around 8-9 in the ACC. (And several people gave me crap of being too optimistic then)

But without Justin, I just don't see enough ability on this roster to finish better than we did last year. (And now you are giving me crap for not being optimistic enough -- geezz!!)

I can't get past the fact that we finished 6-10 last year, 12th place and we lost four starters from that team. Sure, if many things go unexpectedly right, we could improve. But I just don't see the odds in that direction. I just Capel gave credit for getting the roster back in shape enough to avoid something of a disaster year (nothing close to 0-18). But I just don't see enough pure skills or ability for this team to do any better than 7-13, at best, in the ACC. That's my take. I sure hope I'm wrong.

But I can't objectively say that adding a guy who was a decent, but not anything special, at Stony Brook does anything to change that. I'm glad he chose us and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

I feel like we had the same disagreement a few years ago about Malik Ellison, and you were speaking optimistically of your expectations for him and you were displeased with my take.
You're just keeping your expectations very low but hope you're pleasantly surprised if they play well and there's nothing wrong with that. I know I choose to be a little more optimistic because I'm a half-full type of guy instead of a half empty type guy.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT