ADVERTISEMENT

Jeanette Jayhawks football participation an issue

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
You folks will see the article soon enough, not that it should surprise anyone.
The numbers for football at that esteemed school are in peril.
HINT: They won’t improve over the long haul.
This means that forfeits, season cancellations and injuries (too many kids spending too much time on the field) are going to get worse.
I am not one of those people who thinks that transferring for athletic intent is wrong. To the contrary, a find a bunch of adults controlling where kids can play to be the epitome of hypocrisy.
A lot of you disagree. Fine by me.
But what do you actually do if by game 3, for instance the Jayhawks can’t field a team? Injuries, guys quitting, coaches leaving...
The guys who transferred to Gateway. Is it fair to tell them they can’t play when maybe they looked at and said “we’re going to get hurt”.
The light at the end of the high school sports tunnel is getting closer and judging by the sound inside the tunnel, the vehicle on the track uses diesel and is getting faster.
7 man football?
Play where you want.
Do what some guy who never played, you’ll never meet and doesn’t care what do you in life says you should do?

It's hilarious that Jeanette even has a school district. It's a tiny dot surrounded by multiple much, much larger districts.

192840-d24a8217-d72c-4711-a67d-c10e89d19023.gif

Lots of talk of Monessen merging with Belle Vernon eventually. No idea if any of it is true. It makes some sense for these smaller schools to merge.
Ask the folks in Montour if they want Sto Rox or Moon if they want Cornell.
It is a tough battle to get school districts to merge. Unless you have a court order. But even that is tough.

This means that forfeits, season cancellations and injuries (too many kids spending too much time on the field) are going to get worse.
I am not one of those people who thinks that transferring for athletic intent is wrong. To the contrary, a find a bunch of adults controlling where kids can play to be the epitome of hypocrisy.
But what do you actually do if by game 3, for instance the Jayhawks can’t field a team? Injuries, guys quitting, coaches leaving...
The guys who transferred to Gateway. Is it fair to tell them they can’t play when maybe they looked at and said “we’re going to get hurt”.
The light at the end of the high school sports tunnel is getting closer and judging by the sound inside the tunnel, the vehicle on the track uses diesel and is getting faster.
7 man football?
Play where you want.
Do what some guy who never played, you’ll never meet and doesn’t care what do you in life says you should do?
Or maybe if Gateway/GCC didn't poach players depth wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: JRPITT
Yeah, forget it.
You think Belle Vernon wants Monesson?
TJ wants Clairton?
And its not like Clairton begging to either, more the opposite.

Last edited:
Yeah, forget it.
You think Belle Vernon wants Monesson?
TJ wants Clairton?
And its not like Clairton begging to either, more the opposite.

The reverse is true too, and that is the part no one talks about. Monessen doesn't want to merge with BV, Clairton doesn't want to merge with TJ, Sto Rox doesn't want to merge with Montour.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
7 man football?
Play where you want.
Question. Is their student population exceedingly low or just their football population?

7 man football?
Play where you want.
Again, these schools are too freaking small. Mergers are needed.

The reverse is true too, and that is the part no one talks about. Monessen doesn't want to merge with BV, Clairton doesn't want to merge with TJ, Sto Rox doesn't want to merge with Montour.
Honestly, Monessen, California, Charleroi, Bentworth, and maybe even Beth-Center should merge. They'd probably be 5A school and those students would have more classes, clubs, and opportunities.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Here's the article: https://tribhssn.triblive.com/low-n...-jeannette-football-coach-hall-not-giving-up/

29 kids from official sign ups
46 seniors graduated in 2020 -- so maybe 200 total students in the high sch
Here's the article: https://tribhssn.triblive.com/low-n...-jeannette-football-coach-hall-not-giving-up/

29 kids from official sign ups
46 seniors graduated in 2020 -- so maybe 200 total students in the high school?
My district {Windber} went thru something similar a few years back. They only has 22 senior boys in the class. We muddled thru and now our numbers have improved. And the elementary number are climbing too. What are the individual class numbers going forward?

My district {Windber} went thru something similar a few years back. They only has 22 senior boys in the class. We muddled thru and now our numbers have improved. And the elementary number are climbing too. What are the individual class numbers going forward?
I don’t see that happening in Jeannette.

7 man football?
Play where you want.
These small schools are going to have to CO-OP like they do in the rural areas I am afraid. And yes, I agree, if parents are willing to move their kids to better improve their athletic chances to get a scholarship, I don't think it is anything that some committee of overwrought adults should be allowed to mettle in.

What is the solution? Setting aside the "just merge districts" solution that would face a millions obstacles, do these small schools just start playing 7 on 7? Do nearby districts band together to field one team? Separate schools, but one football team.

What is the solution? Setting aside the "just merge districts" solution that would face a millions obstacles, do these small schools just start playing 7 on 7? Do nearby districts band together to field one team? Separate schools, but one football team.
I like 7 on 7 leagues.

Ask the folks in Montour if they want Sto Rox or Moon if they want Cornell.
It is a tough battle to get school districts to merge. Unless you have a court order. But even that is tough.

It's going to be tough. Rumors for years that Crafton and Roslyn Farms would go to Montour when (seems inevitable) Carlynton is eventually split up or merged. Makes sense given the tax bases. But would Montour even open that can of worms if it means they have to entertain taking StoRox? Probably not.

It's hilarious that Jeanette even has a school district. It's a tiny dot surrounded by multiple much, much larger districts.

192840-d24a8217-d72c-4711-a67d-c10e89d19023.gif

Well, it is now. But years ago Jeannette was larger than Penn Trafford. And then Jeannette lost half it's population while places like Penn Trafford got a lot bigger.

Way back when I was a grade schooler in Duquesne, the state wanted to merge Duquesne with West Mifflin. Duquesne fought it all the way to the State Supreme Court. They "won" . . . but in the long run they lost.

Reactions: Dan1911
Way back when I was a grade schooler in Duquesne, the state wanted to merge Duquesne with West Mifflin. Duquesne fought it all the way to the State Supreme Court. They "won" . . . but in the long run they lost.

Especially since high school students in the Duquesne school district go to West Mifflin or East Allegheny now anyway.

Just a lot of wasted time, effort and money to get to just about the same place.

As a GCC alum I am sorry to hear Jeannette has such a great history in football it would be ashamed if they didn't have enough kids. Maybe they can let those who want to play at Hempfield.

As a GCC alum I am sorry to hear Jeannette has such a great history in football it would be ashamed if they didn't have enough kids. Maybe they can let those who want to play at Hempfield.
The fact is, school districts like Jeannette need not exist anymore. I mean European countries divide up and change, I am sure a friggin school district can. do this.

Lots of talk of Monessen merging with Belle Vernon eventually. No idea if any of it is true. It makes some sense for these smaller schools to merge.

I know someone who was at Charleroi who petitioned to have Monessen co-op with them. Charleroi's board wouldn't even discuss it publicly.

I like 7 on 7 leagues.
These AAU type teams aren't going to be very happy if the PIAA adopts the same rules that Texas has had in recent years. Texas 7 on 7 is governed by Texas High School Coaches. You can't play on select teams. Texas' system isn't perfect but has remedied many issues that we see in PA and other states. It has cut down on recruiting tremendously. And, if people bitch that PA kids need some type of AAU style of 7 on 7 to be better prepared for HS ball, I ask them is PA ball better than Texas?

I too like 7 on 7 leagues "IF" they're based by High School and not some "select" AAU type.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Separate schools but a merged football team is exactly what happened at Clarion and Clarion-Limestone.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I know someone who was at Charleroi who petitioned to have Monessen co-op with them. Charleroi's board wouldn't even discuss it publicly.
Old rivalry's die hard. I remember my dad taking me to the Charleroi/Monnesen game when I was a kid. Packed stadium. Lots of animosity. Would make sense for both but Monnessen has bigger problems. Eroding tax base is most of it. In recent years, kids have moved into the apartments that are on the BV side of the line to play football anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT