ADVERTISEMENT

Jeanette Jayhawks football participation an issue

Yep. And wrong economic group as well. Some people don’t like to share their property tax dollars with others.
Probably already are anyway. Clairton etc have like zero tax base. They're getting funds(tax dollars) from somewhere to keep a school district afloat.

Probably already are anyway. Clairton etc have like zero tax base. They're getting funds(tax dollars) from somewhere to keep a school district afloat.
Tell that to the folks in Hopewell, QV, Montour. Those property tax dollars are high and you would see a revolution worthy of the word if someone’s property tax dollars were going elsewhere to fund a different public school.

true, but doesn't cover all of it.
Tell that to the folks in Hopewell, QV, Montour. Those property tax dollars are high and you would see a revolution worthy of the word if someone’s property tax dollars were going elsewhere to fund a different public school.
agree, no way, would have to be forced like Duquesne and even then the above gap is worse than splitting them to East Allegheny and West Mifflin.

Some are mentioning race as a reason why districts won't merge and maybe that's true.

Having worked in some merged districts before, I saw more battles with culture than race. I've seen lower class, lower educated whites and blacks struggle to assimilate with middle/upper class, higher educated whites and blacks. Generally speaking, people regardless of race don't want to be around other people who are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to values. Blacks and Whites are more alike then you think when it comes to this, it's just the MSM doesn't like to admit it and we're just fed race, race, race...

It’s not that Sto Rox doesn’t want to be with Montour. It’s that Montour wants nothing to do with Sto Rox.
It really is both to some degree. Not as much not wanting Montour or TJ, but keeping their own school identity. The football team is all they (school, town) have to some.

Some are mentioning race as a reason why districts won't merge and maybe that's true.

Having worked in some merged districts before, I saw more battles with culture than race. I've seen lower class, lower educated whites and blacks struggle to assimilate with middle/upper class, higher educated whites and blacks. Generally speaking, people regardless of race don't want to be around other people who are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to values. Blacks and Whites are more alike then you think when it comes to this, it's just the MSM doesn't like to admit it and we're just fed race, race, race...
I am not ignorant to racial issues in our society, but you make an interesting point. I heard a presentation a couple years ago about differences between generations in our society. The presenter talked about marriage trends of the youngest adult generation and explained that they marry across religious, ethnic, political, and race lines way more than any previous generation. They are not, however, marrying across economic and/or educational lines. Those that are relatively well off are not marrying an uneducated person that lives below the poverty line.

Last edited:

This is why I said “socio economic”.

It’s not that Sto Rox doesn’t want to be with Montour. It’s that Montour wants nothing to do with Sto Rox.

Your wrong on Sto Rox wants nothing to do with Montour. I picked my 3 example on purpose because I have person knowledge of each one. My dad has apartments in McKees Rocks, and with him being elderly, I am the one doing the management for him. I speak to the tenants, I have spoken to the former mayor, and other people of the town. As much as Montour does not want Sto Rox, you better believe Sto Rox wants nothing to do with Montour.

I am not ignorant to racial issues in our society, but you make an interesting point. I heard a presentation a couple years ago about differences between generations in our society. The presenter talked about marriage trends of the youngest adult generation and explained that they marry across religious, ethnic, political, and race lines way more than any previous generation. They are not, however, marrying across economic and/or educational lines. Those that are relatively well off are not marrying an uneducated person that lives below the poverty line.

Any chance you know the presentation so I can look it up. This kind of stuff interest me. What you and Steel stated I believe in very much from what I see in life. There is a reason why a lot of Doctors marry other Doctors or at least nurses and not marring the casher at 7/11 and this is not a slam against the cashier at 7/11.

What about lower class, higher educated whites and blacks? Or middle/upper class, lower educated whites and blacks? Who wins that battle?

Especially since high school students in the Duquesne school district go to West Mifflin or East Allegheny now anyway.

Just a lot of wasted time, effort and money to get to just about the same place.

West Mifflin built their new schools way too large, so they had to shut down a few elementary schools and restructure which grades go to which schools. Instead of doing all that, they should have just merged with Steel Valley, which I believe is decreasing in population.

But I digress. I just find it absurd that poverty-stricken school districts right across the river from each other, such as South Allegheny and Clairton, both exist. I don't see how that benefits either district. At least merge with each other if you're not going to be absorbed by TJ or EF or West Mifflin or McKeesport or whatever separately.

What about lower class, higher educated whites and blacks? Or middle/upper class, lower educated whites and blacks? Who wins that battle?

To answer your question, from my experience - higher performing students always seem to have more opportunities regardless of race or socioeconomic status. Those families typically want to associate themselves with highly motivated students. After 20 years in education in a wide variety of settings, I've seen way more hatred within races when it comes to education as I have outside of it.

Your wrong on Sto Rox wants nothing to do with Montour. I picked my 3 example on purpose because I have person knowledge of each one. My dad has apartments in McKees Rocks, and with him being elderly, I am the one doing the management for him. I speak to the tenants, I have spoken to the former mayor, and other people of the town. As much as Montour does not want Sto Rox, you better believe Sto Rox wants nothing to do with Montour.
Name one set of administrators of a small school that didn't resist merging with a bigger school? And FYI, parents at Monessen have been begging for a merger for a while now.

Name one set of administrators of a small school that didn't resist merging with a bigger school? And FYI, parents at Monessen have been begging for a merger for a while now.

Thank you for picking another town I am familiar with. 2 cousins who are former teachers recently (less than 3 years ago) and a Uncle who was a former school board member in the late 2000's early 2010's. They know it is inevitable but they stated many times the people of Monessen do not want to merge. If anything BV wants to merge with Monessen because they want the HS that is only 20 years old to become a big elementary school for the district.

West Mifflin built their new schools way too large, so they had to shut down a few elementary schools and restructure which grades go to which schools. Instead of doing all that, they should have just merged with Steel Valley, which I believe is decreasing in population.

But I digress. I just find it absurd that poverty-stricken school districts right across the river from each other, such as South Allegheny and Clairton, both exist. I don't see how that benefits either district. At least merge with each other if you're not going to be absorbed by TJ or EF or West Mifflin or McKeesport or whatever separately.
I'd be surprised if there was another metro area with as many tiny school districts as there are in Western PA. Its stupid to have schools with 80 kids per class every 5 miles.

They need to merge more schools together and the easiest way to get people on board is show them how much money in tax dollars they’ll be saving.

Thank you for picking another town I am familiar with. 2 cousins who are former teachers recently (less than 3 years ago) and a Uncle who was a former school board member in the late 2000's early 2010's. They know it is inevitable but they stated many times the people of Monessen do not want to merge. If anything BV wants to merge with Monessen because they want the HS that is only 20 years old to become a big elementary school for the district.
There's no way BV would turn Monessen's HS into a district wide elementary. BV currently has nearly as many kids in Kindergarten (158) now as Monessen (222) does in the entire HS so that theory doesn't make much sense. Now, BVA wouldn't mind adding the extra tax base at very little extra cost. That part makes some sense.

Parents in Monessen are upset with the lack of opportunities offered by the district to the kids that other larger districts around them enjoy. That's a very fair criticism and those rumblings haven't gone away. Someone will eventually take it to court which is usually how these things pan out. Mergers aren't easy but like you said, in this case, it's inevitable.

Any chance you know the presentation so I can look it up. This kind of stuff interest me. What you and Steel stated I believe in very much from what I see in life. There is a reason why a lot of Doctors marry other Doctors or at least nurses and not marring the casher at 7/11 and this is not a slam against the cashier at 7/11.
I do not remember the presenter's name, but I'll do some digging. The presentation focused more on the differences between the generations themselves, with a goal of helping boomers/older generations understand the behaviors and habits of millenials/younger generations and vice versa.

I do not remember the presenter's name, but I'll do some digging. The presentation focused more on the differences between the generations themselves, with a goal of helping boomers/older generations understand the behaviors and habits of millenials/younger generations and vice versa.
I can explain what young hotties see in older rich guys. And what older rich guys see in young hotties.

There's no way BV would turn Monessen's HS into a district wide elementary. BV currently has nearly as many kids in Kindergarten (158) now as Monessen (222) does in the entire HS so that theory doesn't make much sense. Now, BVA wouldn't mind adding the extra tax base at very little extra cost. That part makes some sense.

Parents in Monessen are upset with the lack of opportunities offered by the district to the kids that other larger districts around them enjoy. That's a very fair criticism and those rumblings haven't gone away. Someone will eventually take it to court which is usually how these things pan out. Mergers aren't easy but like you said, in this case, it's inevitable.

I never said the HS would be a district wide elementary school, I said they want it for a big elementary school. I'm sure there are parents in Monessen who want what you state and they are right for wanting it. But as a whole that city does not want it, at least as of 2 years ago they didn't. And I'm not talking about my family not wanting it because they do want the merger.

I never said the HS would be a district wide elementary school, I said they want it for a big elementary school. I'm sure there are parents in Monessen who want what you state and they are right for wanting it. But as a whole that city does not want it, at least as of 2 years ago they didn't. And I'm not talking about my family not wanting it because they do want the merger.
I don't understand your point with the HS. It was being looked at as a Middle School, if anything. Anyway, the two schools have been talking for a couple of years under the guise of "sharing resources".

being a taxpayer at BVA with one son that graduated and 2 more in the district now, I have heard the merger talks for years. I believe that BVA would get more out of it than Monessen as stated by a previous poster. However, the real problem lies with BVA High School being very old and not really having the ability to take on more students. The place is crammed as it is and really no more room in the in. If a merger happens, i believe that a new high school must be built. BVA would finally have a track, and the Monessen High school could be used as another middle school. No matter what this would take almost a decade for the final plan to come to fruition. Im fine with it either way.

Ask the folks in Montour if they want Sto Rox or Moon if they want Cornell.
It is a tough battle to get school districts to merge. Unless you have a court order. But even that is tough.
My understanding is that now that Cornell finally got its finances in order, Moon was open to a merger. Of course since they have gotten their finances in order, Cornell no longer wants to merge with Moon.

It is ridiculous that there are (non-private) Class A schools in Allegheny County and even Westmoreland County. The State really needs to step in and forcibly merge some of these districts. It's a death spiral for these small districts because they need to keep raising property taxes to pay competitive salaries, which makes more people leave the district, and so on. This cycle just destroys property values and increases blight.

My understanding is that now that Cornell finally got its finances in order, Moon was open to a merger. Of course since they have gotten their finances in order, Cornell no longer wants to merge with Moon.

It is ridiculous that there are (non-private) Class A schools in Allegheny County and even Westmoreland County. The State really needs to step in and forcibly merge some of these districts. It's a death spiral for these small districts because they need to keep raising property taxes to pay competitive salaries, which makes more people leave the district, and so on. This cycle just destroys property values and increases blight.
A genuine disincentive to move into those places for sure.

That's exactly it. In Allegheny County, or at least within a 25 mile radius of downtown Pittsburgh, there should not be any Single A sized districts. Way too much of a tax burden on people to begin with.

Can Birch commit to Oregon if he wanted too right now?

Could his brother commit to Western Michigan if he wanted too right now?

So Jeannette will be West Greene, Mapletown and Avella now. What's the big deal? Only 29 players? I know teams like those three would LOVE to have 29 players.

Reactions: JRPITT
Again, within a 25 mile radius of Pittsburgh, there should not be a Single A, public, High Schools.
So Jeannette went from being 1 or 2 in the WPIAL and probably top 5 in the state to a very young team which might not win a game. After the birch boys left for athletic intent not a debatable subject . Now the top 4 players at GCC are Jeannette kids
PT is in play for 1 or 2. 2 starters moved 1 to Texas 1 to Woodland Hills

Again, within a 25 mile radius of Pittsburgh, there should not be a Single A, public, High Schools.
I agree, we one of the only states that have numerous high schools that have graduating classes around 50 kids. Leechburg, Riverview and we can go on. This has nothing to do with athletics, it is costing us MILLIONS of tax dollars to keep these very small schools open, it is not affordable or is it feasible to do so. This is a good time for the state to step in and force some consolidation, it really is.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I agree, we one of the only states that have numerous high schools that have graduating classes around 50 kids. Leechburg, Riverview and we can go on. This has nothing to do with athletics, it is costing us MILLIONS of tax dollars to keep these very small schools open, it is not affordable or is it feasible to do so. This is a good time for the state to step in and force some consolidation, it really is.
I mean in like Elk County or in Wyoming, that is unavoidable. But in Allegheny or Westmoreland Counties? No way.

Reactions: JJ COLLINS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT