ADVERTISEMENT

Jeanette Jayhawks football participation an issue

Again, within a 25 mile radius of Pittsburgh, there should not be a Single A, public, High Schools.
I agree with your point, but I'm not sure Jeannette is within a 25 mile radius of Pittsburgh. West Greene, Avella and Mapletown certainly are not.

In Westmoreland County, it's interesting how Greensburg got paired up with non-contiguous Salem Township, but Jeannette didn't get a similar partner.

For the life of me I don’t know why Lawerence County won’t become one school district. Consolidate and close some schools, leverage shared services and offer more options to all kids for classes and activities, but bring it up and people act like you are from a different universe.

I agree with your point, but I'm not sure Jeannette is within a 25 mile radius of Pittsburgh. West Greene, Avella and Mapletown certainly are not.

In Westmoreland County, it's interesting how Greensburg got paired up with non-contiguous Salem Township, but Jeannette didn't get a similar partner.
Jeannette is....if you are drawing a true radius. Road wise, it is 27 miles...so yeah, it is 25 miles away as the crow flies.

So Jeannette went from being 1 or 2 in the WPIAL and probably top 5 in the state to a very young team which might not win a game. After the birch boys left for athletic intent not a debatable subject . Now the top 4 players at GCC are Jeannette kids
PT is in play for 1 or 2. 2 starters moved 1 to Texas 1 to Woodland Hills
There are jobs in Texas.

Sto Rox board members passed a motion to approach Montour about a merger last week.
Would love to see a bill passed which doesn't allow school districts with less than 100 kids per grade. What kind of class offerings can a school realistically offer if you have like 50-60 kids per grade? Like someone said, in Pennsyltucky, fine, you probably cant avoid that, but Greene County HS would be 5A and could offer everything that a Bethel Park or Moon could offer. Jeannette kids, Sto-Rox kids, etc, would have access to so much more in larger districts.

Jeannette is....if you are drawing a true radius. Road wise, it is 27 miles...so yeah, it is 25 miles away as the crow flies.

We have the same problem down here. Carmichaels, Jefferson Morgan, and Mapletown are within ten minutes of each other and all single A schools and those three school districts cover the same land area that West Greene does on the other side of the county. Why do we still need all three, they could definitely merge.

We have the same problem down here. Carmichaels, Jefferson Morgan, and Mapletown are within ten minutes of each other and all single A schools and those three school districts cover the same land area that West Greene does on the other side of the county. Why do we still need all three, they could definitely merge.
Exactly. And wouldn't serve all concerns better? Better class selection, more competition, likely better taxes, more extra curricular activities including sports?

I think it was SMF above who also said it. He is right. Again, I think Cameron County has one school district and HS and they can't help how small they are. But even in "Pennsyltucky" in Potter County, you have Coudersport and you have Austin. Austin has like 14 kids per class! FOURTEEN!!! PER CLASS! Not classroom, I mean Sr, Jr, Soph, etc...per class! How is that still allowed to exist? It is laughable, they have 9 teachers in their HS for grades 7-12! They have NINE school board members though.

What a joke.

Exactly. And wouldn't serve all concerns better? Better class selection, more competition, likely better taxes, more extra curricular activities including sports?

I think it was SMF above who also said it. He is right. Again, I think Cameron County has one school district and HS and they can't help how small they are. But even in "Pennsyltucky" in Potter County, you have Coudersport and you have Austin. Austin has like 14 kids per class! FOURTEEN!!! PER CLASS! Not classroom, I mean Sr, Jr, Soph, etc...per class! How is that still allowed to exist? It is laughable, they have 9 teachers in their HS for grades 7-12! They have NINE school board members though.

What a joke.
A lot of it is legacy. People don't exactly grow up and leave. They just move into grandma's house when she passes and the cycle continues. There has also been a steady diet of self determination fed to people out here. Merging might cause a kid from your own town to sit the bench or worse yet, you might have to adopt a curriculum that involves something your town has already deemed unworthy. Mostly, it's geography. Schools might look close on a map but there is a dangerous mountain road in between.

I think a lot of these schools will merge eventually but it will be a race to the bottom as facilities start to fall apart. Whichever school can hold on the longest will get to absorb the school next door.

A lot of it is legacy. People don't exactly grow up and leave. They just move into grandma's house when she passes and the cycle continues. There has also been a steady diet of self determination fed to people out here. Merging might cause a kid from your own town to sit the bench or worse yet, you might have to adopt a curriculum that involves something your town has already deemed unworthy. Mostly, it's geography. Schools might look close on a map but there is a dangerous mountain road in between.

I think a lot of these schools will merge eventually but it will be a race to the bottom as facilities start to fall apart. Whichever school can hold on the longest will get to absorb the school next door.
They won't and with current politics (and I don't mean the people in office right this moment but they are part of it) no one, it is not like the 50's and 60's where there was real leadership and they forced mergers. And it should be sold as a way for some tax relief abatement, and also the future of the kids. It does no good for a kid going to a run down, no advanced or good college prep course at Ampipe HS just because they won the state championship in 1954 and people want to still cling to that.

Reactions: pittdan77
It does no good for a kid going to a run down, no advanced or good college prep course at Ampipe HS just because they won the state championship in 1954 and people want to still cling to that.

I said this before when we were talking about this in the past, but a few years ago there was a story in the local paper about the possibility of Jeannette merging with either Hempfield or PT. And there was a quote by one of the locals that summed it all up perfectly. He was against any potential merger, because if the schools merged they would have to give up Jayhawk Friday nights, and that was completely unacceptable.

Until people in the general public start caring as much about the quality of education the kids are getting as opposed to the quality of the football team or the basketball team then things aren't going to change.

I said this before when we were talking about this in the past, but a few years ago there was a story in the local paper about the possibility of Jeannette merging with either Hempfield or PT. And there was a quote by one of the locals that summed it all up perfectly. He was against any potential merger, because if the schools merged they would have to give up Jayhawk Friday nights, and that was completely unacceptable.

Until people in the general public start caring as much about the quality of education the kids are getting as opposed to the quality of the football team or the basketball team then things aren't going to change.
We will see if that same gentleman is saying the same thing 5 years from now when the Jayhawks continue to dress 20 - 25 kids a game and have a 5-5 record every year. Listen I completely understand where he is coming from , hail to the Har Brack Tigers and the Tarentum Red Cats with Cookie Gilchrist and Chris Warner, but if industry leaves your district and the population shrinks you have to adjust. They finally did it in Armstrong County with Kittaning and Ford City. Both schools had very solid sports programs, but they looked beyond that and did what was best big picture wise for the area. The state needs to grow a set and force more mergers like they did in the late 60's. Is this sad , absolutely, but until industry brings back the population it should be done.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

But it takes leadership to push threw this. To tell these people to grow up and move along, those days are over.

We will see if that same gentleman is saying the same thing 5 years from now when the Jayhawks continue to dress 20 - 25 kids a game and have a 5-5 record every year. Listen I completely understand where he is coming from , hail to the Har Brack Tigers and the Tarentum Red Cats with Cookie Gilchrist and Chris Warner, but if industry leaves your district and the population shrinks you have to adjust. They finally did it in Armstrong County with Kittaning and Ford City. Both schools had very solid sports programs, but they looked beyond that and did what was best big picture wise for the area. The state needs to grow a set and force more mergers like they did in the late 60's. Is this sad , absolutely, but until industry brings back the population it should be done.
As we both come out of that merger, I was shocked to learn at one point in time, Har Brack, had more college football players than any other HS in the US. Those times change. Cookie Giilchrist ain't busting through here anymore. I graduated with a class of what, 450 people? Highlands now graduates maybe 220?

To be honest, there probably should be another round of mergers these next 5-10 years. Highlands should merge maybe half of Freeport and the other half of Freeport with Knoch. Burrell and Valley (which would be unthinkable when we were in school) should likely be merged. Springdale and Deer Lakes definitely. Leechburg obviously with Kiski, Jeannette with Greensburg Salem or Hempfield.......etc....

Jeannette with Greensburg Salem or Hempfield.......etc....

FWIW, Jeannette doesn't share a border with Greensburg Salem. Basically on the southern border it's Hempfield and on the northern border it's Penn Trafford.

Of course Salem Township also does not share a border with the Greensburg part of the district, so maybe that wouldn't matter much.

FWIW, Jeannette doesn't share a border with Greensburg Salem. Basically on the southern border it's Hempfield and on the northern border it's Penn Trafford.

Of course Salem Township also does not share a border with the Greensburg part of the district, so maybe that wouldn't matter much.
Wow. Looking at those townships and school districts, talk about gerrymandering? Jeannette could reasonably be absorbed by GS, Hempfield, Penn Trafford or Norwin and it wouldn't be out of line with how those districts were mapped.

Westmoreland County's districts are crazy. Here's an example. You can stand on my porch and look over the hill and into Kiski Area school district. The far end of Kiski's district borders on Blairsville, which is 40 miles away from my house!

Wow. Looking at those townships and school districts, talk about gerrymandering? Jeannette could reasonably be absorbed by GS, Hempfield, Penn Trafford or Norwin and it wouldn't be out of line with how those districts were mapped.

I am not familiar with the story of how Salem Township merged with the Greensburg school district but there has to be some story there. Maybe when they merged together it was before the Hempfield merger in the early 60s (iirc) and the other school districts weren't ready to join together yet so they went with a partner who would have them.

Hempfield actually is a merger of about four or five other districts back in the day, Hempfield Township, Youngwood, New Stanton, Manor and others. I don't know if they tried to merge with Greensburg as well and Greensburg wasn't interested, or if that was never a consideration. Norwin is also a merger of North Huntingdon, Irwin and North Irwin, which all had seperate school districts back before I was born.

You could combine Jeannette with either Norwin or Greensburg as they are not that far apart, but you would have to drive through the Hempfield school district to get to either one, if that matters.

Westmoreland County's districts are crazy. Here's an example. You can stand on my porch and look over the hill and into Kiski Area school district. The far end of Kiski's district borders on Blairsville, which is 40 miles away from my house!
They are crazy. There are houses in Hempfield that are within a minute of another district's schools yet they go to Hempfield.

I am not familiar with the story of how Salem Township merged with the Greensburg school district but there has to be some story there. Maybe when they merged together it was before the Hempfield merger in the early 60s (iirc) and the other school districts weren't ready to join together yet so they went with a partner who would have them.

Hempfield actually is a merger of about four or five other districts back in the day, Hempfield Township, Youngwood, New Stanton, Manor and others. I don't know if they tried to merge with Greensburg as well and Greensburg wasn't interested, or if that was never a consideration. Norwin is also a merger of North Huntingdon, Irwin and North Irwin, which all had seperate school districts back before I was born.

You could combine Jeannette with either Norwin or Greensburg as they are not that far apart, but you would have to drive through the Hempfield school district to get to either one, if that matters.
To be honest, I never realized how those districts were mapped until the discussion in this thread. Like I said, I am familiar with Kiski Area, which is probably one of the largest land area districts in the WPIAL as I can see houses over the horizon which is in Kiski, as can people out in like Blairsville or Saltsburg which is 40 miles away from me.

But what you said is amazing, all of these towns had their High Schools. And I think it is time there is another round of consolidation. What is really amazing if you think about it, when all of these mergers took place, I think it was an edict from the governor, and like 1400 school districts became 500 (don't quote me on the exact numbers I just remember reading a story about it) that it happened in the 60's, which is smack dab, peak baby boomer when this area also was peak growth and hadn't yet begun to lose population or gray out (get old) like it is now. So if it made sense then? It REALLY makes sense now.

The example I used in Potter County, Austin High School has almost as many school board members as it did students in their senior class. I am not kidding. Like 9 board members and 12 students. How is this still allowed? Sure there is some travel involved, but they could join Coudersport Area or Cameron County. That's an extreme example. But Jeannette is the perfect example of a district who's time has now come and gone. Leechburg is another. These specifically single A schools which are surrounded by other larger districts, you aren't doing anyone any favors by keeping them around. We see this with Wilkinsburg, saw it with Duquesne (Clairton you are on the clock) and the merger of Center and Monaca has obviously worked out well. Yeah, some people will be pissed. Some people will lose their power. And so be it.

It's hilarious that Jeanette even has a school district. It's a tiny dot surrounded by multiple much, much larger districts.

192840-d24a8217-d72c-4711-a67d-c10e89d19023.gif

That’s what happens when you have a new school district every 10 miles or so. In states where districts are run by counties, this doesn’t happen. All these little fiefdoms are the problem.

I don’t hate berhalter, he’s certainly better than a lot of the previous managers we’ve had. Unfortunately he is not good enough to coach this team. He has no experience managing and developing players with the skill levels of Reyna, Pulisic, Yunus, McKennie etc. the unfortunate reality is that no American coach does. Have to pick between an American coach that will relate better to players and fans, or a European coach who can get the best out of this generation of talent which is head and shoulders higher than anything this country has ever seen.

moving to maryland, the county system for schools is so much better. it's absurd that tiny jurisdictions are negotiatiing with teachers over pay, vendors for pencils, etc. it's ridiculous that there's a public school with less than 50 kids graduating.

so many of those tiny jurisdicitions in PA need to merge. it's just absurd that little towns are maintaining their own schools, police, etc.

moving to maryland, the county system for schools is so much better. it's absurd that tiny jurisdictions are negotiatiing with teachers over pay, vendors for pencils, etc. it's ridiculous that there's a public school with less than 50 kids graduating.

so many of those tiny jurisdicitions in PA need to merge. it's just absurd that little towns are maintaining their own schools, police, etc.
Again, I bring up tiny, tiny Austin School District with 12-14 kids..PER CLASS, and like 50% of the teachers are not certified probably because they don't pay anything. How is this helping anyone?

You are right these tiny juridictions are political fiefdoms. Oh and back to the map, what the hell is the pink dot that goes to Yough that is surrounded by Hempfield? That is insane and obviously there were politics in line when those districts were drawn.

Here, I will be king for the day.

1) That little jigsaw notch at the top of Kiski Area is Leechburg SD. Boom, Kiski and Leechburg merged, done.
2) New Ken Arnold (Valley) and Burrell merged. Done. No questions.
3) Franklin Regional And Salem done.
4) Greensburg and Hempfield and that stupid pink spec that goes to Yough are now all Hempfield. Done.
5) Jeannette and Penn Trafford, done.
6) Monessen and Belle Vernon, done.
7) Southmoreland and Yough, done.
Easy Peezy!

192840-d24a8217-d72c-4711-a67d-c10e89d19023.gif

Here we go
1) Riverview and Plum.
2) Wilkinsburg and Woodland Hills
3) Split Springdale (Allegheny Valley) Harmar Twp kids go to Fox Chapel, Springdale/Cheswick to Deer Lakes.
4) Northgate and Avonworth
5) Montour and Sto Rox
6) Moon and Cornell
7) Carlynton and Char Valley along with Keystone Oaks 1
8) Keystone Oaks 2 and 3 and Mt Lebo
9) Brentwood and Baldwin
10) TJ and Clairton (yikes!)
11) East Allegheny and Gateway
12) South Allegheny and McKeesport

R66405113043cc79468ff75a47e7194a0

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Here we go
1) Riverview and Plum.
3) Split Springdale (Allegheny Valley) Harmar Twp kids go to Fox Chapel, Springdale/Cheswick to Deer Lakes.
5) Montour and Sto Rox
6) Moon and Cornell
9) Brentwood and Baldwin

#8. I promise you, there is no way in hell Mt Lebo would merge with anyone. They wouldn't even be willing to merge with Upper St Clair, and you think they would allow Keystone Oaks 2 and 3 (which I assume is Dormont and Castle Shannon) to merge with them.

Plus Keystone Oaks is an ok size school that is very well funded. It is in no need for it to merge for its own shortcomings.

Here we go
1) Riverview and Plum.
5) Montour and Sto Rox
6) Moon and Cornell
9) Brentwood and Baldwin

R66405113043cc79468ff75a47e7194a0
South Allegheny? I've lived in the south hills of pittsburgh most of my life and have followed wpial sports since the 80's and i dont recall ever hearing of a school named south allegheny..

South Allegheny? I've lived in the south hills of pittsburgh most of my life and have followed wpial sports since the 80's and i dont recall ever hearing of a school named south allegheny..
Come to think of it, it might be the single most anonymous high school in the WPIAL. Never good in anything sports wise, not rich, not hearing much trouble from there....it is like they are the generic brand of the WPIAL.

Former Steeler and the school to the east TE Jesse James HS school.

Been around since 1967 or so; merger of Glassport and Port Vue-Liberty. (PV-L had one of the shortest histories of a school district that I know of; those boroughs were once part of McKeesport Area, but somehow broke away in the early 60s to form their own district.)

Been around since 1967 or so; merger of Glassport and Port Vue-Liberty. (PV-L had one of the shortest histories of a school district that I know of; those boroughs were once part of McKeesport Area, but somehow broke away in the early 60s to form their own district.)
That's when my high school was also formed. Interesting it was all formed out of McKeesport probably because back then, again the height of the boomer birth rate by the time they were in high school, McKeesport was huge.

I would love to see school district enrollments from like 1960, 70, 80, 90, 2000, 10 and 20 and see how they changed.

They won't and with current politics (and I don't mean the people in office right this moment but they are part of it) no one, it is not like the 50's and 60's where there was real leadership and they forced mergers. And it should be sold as a way for some tax relief abatement, and also the future of the kids. It does no good for a kid going to a run down, no advanced or good college prep course at Ampipe HS just because they won the state championship in 1954 and people want to still cling to that.
It's politics and prejudice. Sometimes it's ethnic or economic but I'm shocked by how narratives about other school districts become long standing prejudice. "Oh, that school is a mess. Really behind the times." In reality, they have a first rate technology program that would be the envy of many huge schools. "Those people over there are just trash." Their academic foundation hustles and raises enough money that every kid is given an iPad when they graduate and every kid in the district had a computer to take home before any other school district was doing it.

What county do you live in?

I taught/coached in Wicomico County and just like Worcester County to the south of us, there are have's and have not's... My weight room was a double wide trailer where my guys feet were falling through the floors doing squats. The other 2 schools had beautiful facilities.

A good buddy of mine used to be the HC at State College, retired and helped me out down there. He described the county system as an atrocity compared to PA's system. The other school he coached at was Reading High. That says something.

Oh and back to the map, what the hell is the pink dot that goes to Yough that is surrounded by Hempfield? That is insane and obviously there were politics in line when those districts were drawn.

I think that pink blob is Arona Borough. I think what happened there was the residents of the borough wanted their kids to go to Yough, even though they are completely surrounded by Hempfield Township. Most of that area between there and the proper Yough border is basically empty, woods, fields, grassland, etc., and there really aren't any (or many) kids (or anyone else) there. But because that land is in Hempfield Township it is part of the Hempfield school district.

What county do you live in?

I taught/coached in Wicomico County and just like Worcester County to the south of us, there are have's and have not's... My weight room was a double wide trailer where my guys feet were falling through the floors doing squats. The other 2 schools had beautiful facilities.

A good buddy of mine used to be the HC at State College, retired and helped me out down there. He described the county system as an atrocity compared to PA's system. The other school he coached at was Reading High. That says something.

anne arundel. i can't even remotely imagine why you would put a weight room in a trailer. i suppose unless you took the floor out.

it wasn't my idea. We had no room in the school. The lower shore schools are hit/miss.

yeah i understood it wasn't you. coaches do their best with what they have. i suppose it's the best they could do. probably should have just kept it outside in the grass with a little tent thing covering.

In PA where your kids go to school was determined long ago by the elected officials of the municipality where you live. It’s that simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT