ADVERTISEMENT

John Hugley

Actually if he was a "regular" student at the University and he had done the same thing there is a really good chance that almost no one would know about it. It's not like every Pitt student that is arrested is written about in the newspaper or has their story told on television or on internet boards. And if you don't think that there are students at Pitt who have been arrested for something and yet are still in school then you are sadly mistaken. It's just that you don't know about them, because they don't play basketball.
Maybe not felonies

Actually if he was a "regular" student at the University and he had done the same thing there is a really good chance that almost no one would know about it. It's not like every Pitt student that is arrested is written about in the newspaper or has their story told on television or on internet boards. And if you don't think that there are students at Pitt who have been arrested for something and yet are still in school then you are sadly mistaken. It's just that you don't know about them, because they don't play basketball.

I feel bad, the price you pay for getting everything for free (tuition, housing, stipend,etc.) on scholarship, and being put on a pedestal for playing a sport. Breaking news your now under a microscope, and must be accountable. And yes I do think students at the university get arrested and commit crimes and yes they must be held accountable as well, but unfortunately like everything thing else, if it does not get clicks the media and people like you don't care. If you don't follow the rules in life or sports there are consequences. I person on academic scholarship who gets a "D" or "F" in a class does not keep an academic scholarship.

I feel bad, the price you pay for getting everything for free (tuition, housing, stipend,etc.) on scholarship, and being put on a pedestal for playing a sport.

So first it's that these guys aren't any different than any other student and should be treated just like everyone else, and now it's that they are different from other students and should be treated differently.

I'll tell you what, when you decide which end of the argument you want to make I'll see if I want to respond to you.

Reactions: Ski11585
Maybe not felonies

I don't remember, was he arrested by the University police or the City cops? If it was the University police then yeah, I think that would be treated differently. If it was by the City police and it wasn't in the news anywhere, would anyone at Pitt even know about it? Does Pitt monitor the City police blotter looking for students who may have gotten arrested?

I agree. If Capel welcomes him back, it sets a new precedent. It's not a good precedent. Capel has to do the right thing. No matter what the outcome, whether he's convicted of a felony or not, don't let him back on the team. It would do more harm to the team and program than any possible, small benefit the kid would provide in the short-term. But if Capel is only thinking about what's right in front of his nose and the very short term and not the good of the program, then he'll let him back on the team. I trust Capel isn't that stupid and lives up to his word of wanting to build a solid program at Pitt.

I'm not following this all that much other than what I read here. I don't have the time to want to know what each kid on a Pitt team is doing, who they are, or if they're even on the team at this point. The bottom line is that regardless of conviction or not, he should be off the team and out of Pitt. The only way he gets into Pitt is on an athletic scholarship, and he loses that immediately. He can then deal with the consequences of his actions in the outside world.
Not sure how you or anyone else on this site can really place any judgement or say what Capel should do. Capel should make his decision based on the info regarding the case and any info he has is likely to be much more than hearsay.

Reactions: Ski11585
Capel and the Pitt program made a huge mistake in recruiting Hugley. Now, they need to help him get somewhere where he can get some training to get a real job in the real working world, not college, and move on. Hugley needs to forget about his basketball playing career, unless he is willing to flounder in some far away league or play for some insignificant program where he won't be noticed by anyone and disappear forever. He hasn't proven that he is that good. He'd he better off finding a trade school or technical school where he can learn a trade and find a profession to make a living. That would serve him a hell of a lot better than trying to play a basketball game.

This is the real world now. No coddling these so-called athletes is in order.
Lol what...

Maybe he has an opinion. Obviously if his opinion does not fit your agenda, so he shouldn't be on this board. hmmmm

That's the way the cancel culture works. I better watch. If I keep saying an opinion that doesn't fit the generally accepted ones on this board, I'll be vaporized.

Funny.....I used to be more of a Pitt sports fan than 99% of the people on this board who say they are now. But I've found new interests and just use Pitt sports, when I get a chance, to pass the time. I'd rather spend time with my wife and kids and grandkids, and traveling and experiencing life than watching sports. They've turned me off, as has college sports in general, with their cesspools and one-and-dones. Sorry if that doesn't fit with someone's agenda. I'm just not a spectator any longer.

That's the way the cancel culture works. I better watch. If I keep saying an opinion that doesn't fit the generally accepted ones on this board, I'll be vaporized.

Funny.....I used to be more of a Pitt sports fan than 99% of the people on this board who say they are now. But I've found new interests and just use Pitt sports, when I get a chance, to pass the time. I'd rather spend time with my wife and kids and grandkids, and traveling and experiencing life than watching sports. They've turned me off, as has college sports in general, with their cesspools and one-and-dones. Sorry if that doesn't fit with someone's agenda. I'm just not a spectator any longer.

You live a very, very sad life. I hope you get the help that you need.

Reactions: Pitt 2022

That’s cool and I’m happy for you.. but why are you here then?

Cancel culture does not exist. Nobody is trying to cancel you. Some of us are questioning why you seem to only post about how over Pitt sports you are. One would think if you have all these new interests you might spend your time on them and not posting here.

The incident happened in July. They were playing together fine until the charges were made public. I’ll wait it out and see what happens
Clearly this is a case requiring input from the highest (lowest) levels of American jurisprudence. Otherwise there would be no legitimate explanation for a delay of this length in actually “doing” (NOTE: That writing memos, having meetings, researching the finer points of law, having lunch etc. does not qualify as an act) something such as filing charges.
In what jurisdiction is this foul deed alleged to have taken place?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT