ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Impressing Early In Philly!

It's not really the same argument though because the anti-Kenny people keep strawmanning the pro-Kenny arguments."

We keep saying things like "he got a raw deal here and he was quietly better than many think when compared to other QBs on the roster" and it gets turned into "you guys keep acting like Kenny was an All-Pro!"
"Raw deal" indeed.
Made him a #1 draft pick, paid him $16 million, made him the starting QB early.

Not sure anyone is anti-KP. He had his shot, albeit in not a perfect situation. However, teams that draft a QB #1 and install him early as the starter don't usually have ideal situations.

KP has time to prove any doubters wrong. He's young and will soon have a shot at free agency. If he has the talent and intangibles to be a starting QB again, he will get a chance.

Probably most of the debate here has nothing to do with KP, and a lot more to do with anti Steeler anti Tomlin bias that has surfaced in numerous Steeler threads over the years.

Good luck to KP, but if you ask me, he's already been plenty lucky.

It's not really the same argument though because the anti-Kenny people keep strawmanning the pro-Kenny arguments.

We keep saying things like "he got a raw deal here and he was quietly better than many think when compared to other QBs on the roster" and it gets turned into "you guys keep acting like Kenny was an All-Pro!"

I think that in and of itself is a straw man, lol.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Kenny has been below average 5 out of the 6 years we’ve seen him play.Its everybody’s fault but his,The first time he has to compete he quits.

I thought he flashed in 2019 and then was pretty solid in 2020 and it just didn't translate to the state sheet, but yeah - the excuses being made for him are wild. People are saying they got rid of or upgraded all these positions on offense without realizing the ultimate irony: They also got rid of Pickett! There's a very good chance that Johnson and Pickens are better NFL receivers than Pickett is and NFL quarterback.

Like you said, everyone's fault but his.

Reactions: Schaef60
Don't act like you're new to the board. The only good thing about this thread is that it's keeping the tired "stadium" and "tarp" threads from popping up.
We could debate the superiority of Block Pitt and the 2000s color scheme to the junk we have now.

Reactions: pittdan77
Kenny has been below average 5 out of the 6 years we’ve seen him play.Its everybody’s fault but his,The first time he has to compete he quits.
That's straight BULLCHIT and you know it. But carry on with that weak arse troll game.

Reactions: pierre93
I thought he flashed in 2019 and then was pretty solid in 2020 and it just didn't translate to the state sheet, but yeah - the excuses being made for him are wild. People are saying they got rid of or upgraded all these positions on offense without realizing the ultimate irony: They also got rid of Pickett! There's a very good chance that Johnson and Pickens are better NFL receivers than Pickett is and NFL quarterback.

Like you said, everyone's fault but his.
These guys weren't replaced all in the same way and that context matters a lot. In order, they got rid of:

Canada >>> (big gap)
Cole >> (medium gap)
Chuks > (gap)
Johnson > (gap)
Pickett >> (big gap)
Dan Moore (drafted over)

Canada was literally fired mid-season. Chuks was benched (but was kept on the team) and then not re-signed. Cole was cut. Those guys were clearly never part of the plan going into the 2024 season and some of them didn't even last through 2023. Based on when and how the team got rid of them, one can fairly infer that they're the worst of the bunch if we're assigning blame.

Johnson was traded before Pickett. No positive media about him before the team moved on. He's a better player than KP in a vacuum but again, it's kind of weird that he gets like 1% of the negative posts on social media compared to Pickett when the team literally just forced him away out of nowhere.

Then we get to Pickett. The team was saying that KP was QB1 mere days before they signed Wilson. They still wanted to keep him after signing Russ Wilson! That's important. He's not the same as the guys above him on the list.

Dan Moore was the last to survive and replaced in the least negative way. A lot of that is probably because NFL teams just need a lot of OTs and he's experienced. But it is what it is.

Again, "we keep having this same argument" because certain people keep pushing a lot of misinformation or at least bad posts on the subject. You can't say "oh well they got rid of KP just like all those other guys so they're all the same." He (maybe DJ?) was the only one who affirmatively chose to leave! It's a pretty different situation.

Well, sure, as long as the defense can hold 'em to 13 or so, Kenny is your guy at the end!
Absolutely. if the opponent scores 30+ points of course it's okay to just concede all of those games, since Kenny can't hang in a shootout type game. When did Kenny "come back" and win say? 38-35? the comebacks where all like 13-10 or 17-14, if the opponent scores more than average, we just assume a loss and consider that acceptable

Has there EVER been a deader horse to beat?
giphy.gif

It's not really the same argument though because the anti-Kenny people keep strawmanning the pro-Kenny arguments.

Nobody is "anti-Kenny", he just wasn't any good and people got tired of waiting for him to develop.

Where would you rate this one to

JD
Pitt Stadium
Steve Pederson
Tarping seats at Heinz
Pitt Script
Wanny

What else am I missing?
Each has its season. Like the swallows coming back to Capistrano or the buzzards coming back to Hinkley WV!

Absolutely. if the opponent scores 30+ points of course it's okay to just concede all of those games, since Kenny can't hang in a shootout type game. When did Kenny "come back" and win say? 38-35? the comebacks where all like 13-10 or 17-14, if the opponent scores more than average, we just assume a loss and consider that acceptable
Other QBs were 1-9 since 2019 when the defense gave up 30+ (Pickett was 0-4). It's just hard to win when you give up 30+.

Kenny won way more games - 14-8 versus 5-6 - with the same roster as Mitch and Rudolph in 2022 and 2023. Seems important!

Reactions: 303vND and pierre93
Other QBs were 1-9 since 2019 when the defense gave up 30+ (Pickett was 0-4). It's just hard to win when you give up 30+.

Kenny won way more games - 14-8 versus 5-6 - with the same roster as Mitch and Rudolph in 2022 and 2023. Seems important!
2024: Steelers where 2-6 when the D gave up more than 20, they beat Cleveland 26-22 by scoring 2 defensive TDs, they won the other with Rudolph playing.

2023: They were 1-4 when the D gave up 20+, Mitch played the one win.

Yup, pretty obvious The D CARRIED KP, if the opponent scored more than 20 the team was 3-10 and 1-9 With KP, and in that one win the D scored 2 TDs to win 26-22.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS. A few TD passes might have helped?

2024: Steelers where 2-6 when the D gave up more than 20, they beat Cleveland 26-22 by scoring 2 defensive TDs, they won the other with Rudolph playing.

2023: They were 1-4 when the D gave up 20+, Mitch played the one win.

Yup, pretty obvious The D CARRIED KP, if the opponent scored more than 20 the team was 3-10 and 1-9 With KP, and in that one win the D scored 2 TDs to win 26-22.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS. A few TD passes might have helped?

That lack of TD's seems important.

• Love
Reactions: Pitt79
Good, you're too stupid to appreciate my posts anyway.
On a more serious note I'm sorry to hear about the kid who passed away tragically from Freeport. Very very sad and Bless him and his family. I thought of you when hearing about that. We have different opinions on here and get on each other's nerves but I guess we all mean well especially for human life.
Heard he was a great athlete.

On a more serious note I'm sorry to hear about the kid who passed away tragically from Freeport. Very very sad and Bless him and his family. I thought of you when hearing about that. We have different opinions on here and get on each other's nerves but I guess we all mean well especially for human life.
Heard he was a great athlete.
Very tragic. Happened just over the hill from where we live.
Cole road has two blind hills where people frequently cheat to the center. Plus at that time of day, the low sun hits you right in the eyes, almost blinding you. Even sunglasses don't help much. You really have to be careful on that road.

Ironically my grand daughters just passed the two boys seconds before this happened, on their way to Starbucks. When they came back, the police were there and they saw the smashed bikes.

This kid was a great kid. Baseball player, scout, and a boxing student. Only 13 years old.
Just a very horrible situation.

It’s like if Kenny went to Philly and balled out. We wouldn’t be saying “told you so” or “we were right”…Because we aren’t making any declarations, unlike the anti Kenny guys.

We would be saying that we’re not surprised.

It’s like if Kenny went to Philly and balled out. We wouldn’t be saying “told you so” or “we were right”…Because we aren’t making any declarations, unlike the anti Kenny guys.

We would be saying that we’re not surprised.
Cmon. If Kenny has a single good game in Philly this board will be filled with people beating their chests about how dumb the Stillers are.

Nobody is "anti-Kenny", he just wasn't any good and people got tired of waiting for him to develop.

I'm typing this very slowly so you can keep up. How would anyone including the stillers have any clue if Pickett was viable #1 given the disastrous mess the stillers put around him?

The stillers never fire an OC mid-season but they did to the only OC Pickett played under because was awful at his job. The stillers gave away a guy who was their "#1 WR" because he wasn't good. The oline was in shambles the last 3 years and needed completely revamped.

You couldn't find a young QB in the league who would "develop" under those circumstances.

Take the yinzer glasses off and accept today's stillers organization is a disaster. How many organizations go 7 years between picking up the 5th year on a 1st round contract? Lol It's no wonder that they can't win anything.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm typing this very slowly so you can keep up. How would anyone including the stillers have any clue if Pickett was viable #1 given the disastrous mess the stillers put around him?

The stillers never fire an OC mid-season but they did to the only OC Pickett played under because was awful at his job. The stillers gave away a guy who was their "#1 WR" because he wasn't good. The oline was in shambles the last 3 years and needed completely revamped.

You couldn't find a young QB in the league who would "develop" under those circumstances.

Take the yinzer glasses off and accept today's stillers organization is a disaster. How many organizations go 7 years between picking up the 5th year on a 1st round contract? Lol It's no wonder that they can't win anything.

"How could anyone know Dionate Johnson wasn't any good? The o line was in shambles, and they handed the keys to a guy under center who had one of the worst first round QB grades of all time. The poor guy (DJ) had a 107-reception 1,161-yard season under a spent Ben and has done nothing but regress since then."

See how this works? If you guys were Toledo fans, it would be Pickett who was holding him back. At least that would have a little more credence, since he's actually done it at this level (under Matt Canada, no less).

"How could anyone know Dionate Johnson wasn't any good? The o line was in shambles, and they handed the keys to a guy under center who had one of the worst first round QB grades of all time. The poor guy (DJ) had a 107-reception 1,161-yard season under a spent Ben and has done nothing but regress since then."

See how this works? If you guys were Toledo fans, it would be Pickett who was holding him back. At least that would have a little more credence, since he's actually done it at this level (under Matt Canada, no less).
1,161 receiving yards on 107 catches is incredibly mid. Hell, Mark Andrews had 200 more yards on the same number of catches. Was on 170 targets too. Barely cracked the top 100 in yards per target.

Plus he only had 8 TDs (career high, also terrible).

Nobody was holding back Diontae Johnson except DJ. He's a physically poor WR who frequently runs the wrong routes and in his best year he was about as good as 30 year old Tyler Lockett. Diontae Johnson makes Adam Thielen look explosive and he plays with the same competitive ferocity as Albert Haynesworth. He's fancy Jakobi Meyers. The Steelers couldn't even get a can of soup for him.

1,161 receiving yards on 107 catches is incredibly mid. Hell, Mark Andrews had 200 more yards on the same number of catches. Was on 170 targets too. Barely cracked the top 100 in yards per target.

Nobody was holding back Diontae Johnson except DJ. He's a physically poor WR who frequently runs the wrong routes and in his best year he was about as good as 30 year old Tyler Lockett. Diontae Johnson makes Adam Thielen look explosive and he plays with the same competitive ferocity as Albert Haynesworth. He's fancy Jakobi Meyers. The Steelers couldn't even get a can of soup for him.

Dude had a 1,000-yard NFL receiving and scored a nice second contract. I'm not going to be gaslighted into thinking that isn't an accomplishment and more than anything Kenny Pickett has come close to doing at this level. It's getting weird on this thread.

I thought TD's didn't matter when Pickett wasn't throwing them. Now they matter again?

Well that and running backwards after the catch and losing yardage not to mention the well deserved nickname "Drops" Johnson.

Reactions: 303vND
Dude had a 1,000-yard NFL receiving and scored a nice second contract. I'm not going to be gaslighted into thinking that isn't an accomplishment and more than anything Kenny Pickett has come close to doing at this level. It's getting weird on this thread.

I thought TD's didn't matter when Pickett wasn't throwing them. Now they matter again?
Diontae Johnson had almost 500 career targets without Pickett and managed a whopping 20 TDs. He never scored. Isn't that the problem you had with Pickett?

His 1,100 and 8 on 170 freaking targets is the equivalent of Sam Howell last year. It's all meaningless sugar production on insane volume. A lot of dudes would get 1,000 yards on 170 targets. CJ Uzomah could do it. Lmao.

You're taking both sides of the argument at this point. Pickett lives rent free in your head. It's absolutely hilarious.

Diontae Johnson had almost 500 career targets without Pickett and managed a whopping 20 TDs. He never scored. Isn't that the problem you had with Pickett?

His 1,100 and 8 on 170 freaking targets is the equivalent of Sam Howell last year. It's all meaningless sugar production on insane volume. A lot of dudes would get 1,000 yards on 170 targets. CJ Uzomah could do it. Lmao.

Pickett lives rent free in your head. It's absolutely hilarious.

I didn't say anything about Pickett's lack of touchdowns. Hell, I'd have settled for him just crossing the 50.

He doesn't live in my head at all (my tenants aren't allowed to wear gloves), but I don't know if I've ever seen a backup QB amass such a cultish following. A dude who was one of the most statistically underwhelming QBs in the league gets talked about on here like he's Joe Montana and was framed like Schwarzenegger in the Running Man.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Schaef60
A dude who [] gets talked about on here like he's Joe Montana and was framed like Schwarzenegger in the Running Man.
I mean, on the other side of the coin you're caping for a dude whose pinnacle season is basically the same as Darnell Mooney's. So if you have such a problem with all those delusional cultists, let's maybe be part of the solution?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT