ADVERTISEMENT

Marion to Tulsa?

He's not a DC kid. He's from Frederick Maryland. That's like saying a kid from Grove City is from Pittsburgh.

"He's a very detailed guy. I'm glad Coach Cignetti is here."

He entered the portal because he was made NIL offers and if it were just about "Caleb" he would've never got into negotiations over his deal with PITT and USC.
And he left pitt with the same amount of NIL and likewise didn’t go to Texas
What negotiations did he made ?
He has several offers and chose to play with Caleb
Shush a while now

Mrs Duzz. Right on que. Yes he is an up and coming coach and not lazy like your husband recruiting

He's an idiot begging for an interview from his alma mater. And recruiting is what guys like Marion are paid to do. If

Duzz's staff has recruited well enough to win 19 games in 2 years with an ACC Championship, with 2021 ACC Player of the year & 2022 defensive player of the year. His program is sending guys to the league.

I guess Bill has it. Went from never spending a day in his life in the sports analyst industry to being a high-paid CBS studio analyst. Now that I think about it... nah, couldn't be anything like what Saturday did. Saturday switched jobs from analyst to head coach. Bill Cowher only switched jobs from head coach to analyst. Totally not the same basic concept.
Not really comparable since tv networks routinely hire former players and coaches for student and analyst roles. They don't look for anyone with broadcasting experience. If I'm an assistant coach on the Colts staff who put in time, I'd be pretty irritated to have a guy who only has experience coaching high school get a chance over me.

For those stating that he shouldn't move from a position coach to head coach or that he should prove himself at the coordinator level, he has been a coordinator and understands how to succeed at that level.

I wish him the best. I hope he gets the job and is successful at Tulsa. None of that changes my opinion that he was wrong fit as Pitt's OC.

Do you think Cignetti is the right fit?

And he left pitt with the same amount of NIL and likewise didn’t go to Texas
What negotiations did he made ?
He has several offers and chose to play with Caleb
Shush a while now
It was known that once USC made their initial offer, PITT countered, then USC came right back with a final offer.

That's called a negotiation souf..

Reactions: 4upmc and pittdan77
100% Pitt's fault for not taking care of him back in 2021.

Ryan Day made that point really clear about NIL being used primarily to keep his roster intact and Franklin reiterated those sentiments over the summer time..

I was reading one of Maryland's boosters bitching about how far behind Maryland is in the NIL game and blaming the AD for not publicly creating a "collective". They just lost their stud TE Dippre who we offered out of HS.

Do you think Cignetti is the right fit?
Too early to judge. I think he was a decent hire who could succeed with a better QB and another year of offensive scheme. He fits in that Narduzzi wants him and Narduzzi didn't want Marion.

I was pointing out that this is Sark's offense and Marion's "Go-Go" isn't anywhere close to the factor of what they're doing.

I watched about a quarter of the Texas the other week and it was classic pro-style Sark. I even saw a bunch of "I formation".
Is it possible that some of Marion's "Go-Go" concepts were incorporated into Sark's I formation offense?

Is it possible that some of Marion's "Go-Go" concepts were incorporated into Sark's I formation offense?
I saw basic - outside/inside zone.

Marion's go-go is a play on gun option principles. His biggest goal is to turn any defense into a single high so he can throw the ball creating mismatches.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
This analogy makes me laugh - comparing going to the booth with being an NFL head coach is totally nonsensical! You can talk your way to being an analyst - totally managing an organization of highly paid alpha male men, coaches, media requests, appearances owners, while competing in front of 65K every week is a totally different animal.
Saturday was a player before he was an analyst, and a very good player at that. He was around some pretty good coaches and learned some pretty good schemes. If not for the terrible play of Matt Ryan they could be 3-0 under Saturday. I'll wait to see how it plays out before I make a judgement.

Saturday was a player before he was an analyst, and a very good player at that. He was around some pretty good coaches and learned some pretty good schemes. If not for the terrible play of Matt Ryan they could be 3-0 under Saturday. I'll wait to see how it plays out before I make a judgement.
You missed my entire point. People were raging on Cowher in that he went from coaching to the studio and no one questioned him...two totally different situations.

I saw basic - outside/inside zone.

Marion's go-go is a play on gun option principles. His biggest goal is to turn any defense into a single high so he can throw the ball creating mismatches.
You give yourself way too much credit.

Who said it had to be concepts from one formation? Wouldn't you agree that coaches run plays from different formations.
Absolutely.

But the "GO-GO" is a system more then it is a formation.

What Sark was running was basic old school smashmouth.

There weren't really any similarities.

What Guz Malzahn did at Auburn was very close to what Tubby Raymond did at Delaware.

Comparing Marion's system to what Sark under center package, is like comparing the Ottawa Roughriders offense to Bill Yeoman's offense. Just completely different worlds.

Except it’s not known
It’s speculated
The first reports I saw said he was offered 2 million from USC and then it was reported PITT matched the offer, then Filliponi stated he got a final offer 3.5 million from USC..

What happened between 2 million to 3.5 million?

It's called a negotiation.

The Tulsa job was a no-go for Mr. Go Go. The linked article lists some other serious candidates for the job. Marion is not one of them. I wonder if he, or his agent was leaking his name out there? Perhaps he was granted a courtesy interview from his alma mater. Regardless, it appears he was never a serious candidate. Instead, Tulsa went with a 61 year old retread.

Kevin Wilson hired as Tulsa HC

The Tulsa job was a no-go for Mr. Go Go. The linked article lists some other serious candidates for the job. Marion is not one of them. I wonder if he, or his agent was leaking his name out there? Perhaps he was granted a courtesy interview from his alma mater. Regardless, it appears he was never a serious candidate. Instead, Tulsa went with a 61 year old retread.

Kevin Wilson hired as Tulsa HC

Reports were he was pleading for the job.

I wonder why they wouldn't hire the homegrown prodigy?

There is a chance that if Marion was hired, he would have been content enough to not explore other options. Losing his position coach, OC, and QB was the perfect storm. I don't know for sure he stays if Marion was hired. But I also dont know for sure he doesn't. One thing I do know is that the offense was the worst in recent memory and we have no offensive recruits. The hire was a 0.0. Marion would have been better and there's no disputing that

lol do you remember Shawn Watson a few years ago? what a ridiculous take.

There is a lot I like about Marion. But he's also a bit of a self-promoting clown.
funny thing is, I might talk crap about him but there things that I like about him too.. The self promotion and the guru talk he gets just ruins it for me.

funny thing is, I might talk crap about him but there things that I like about him too.. The self promotion and the guru talk he gets just ruins it for me.
Same. Too much self-promotion, ego, and hype. That's great that he wants to move up the career ladder. But he just comes off as entitled. He seems to be easily offended if his greatness isn't recognized and rewarded as soon sets foot in the door.

I guess Bill has it. Went from never spending a day in his life in the sports analyst industry to being a high-paid CBS studio analyst. Now that I think about it... nah, couldn't be anything like what Saturday did. Saturday switched jobs from analyst to head coach. Bill Cowher only switched jobs from head coach to analyst. Totally not the same basic concept.
See Also: Eddie Olczyk. Oh wait.

Same. Too much self-promotion, ego, and hype. That's great that he wants to move up the career ladder. But he just comes off as entitled. He seems to be easily offended if his greatness isn't recognized and rewarded as soon sets foot in the door.
Entitled? The dude is a hustler because he had to work his ass off for everything he’s accomplished. I get that it can rub some people the wrong way, but you have to be your #1 promoter when you start at having to attend 6 different middle/high schools and sleeping in the locker room at your community college. There's a time when you have to slow down, but he certainly wouldn't be at Pitt/Texas if it wasn't for that constant self promotion.

Entitled? The dude is a hustler because he had to work his ass off for everything he’s accomplished. I get that it can rub some people the wrong way, but you have to be your #1 promoter when you start at having to attend 6 different middle/high schools and sleeping in the locker room at your community college. There's a time when you have to slow down, but he certainly wouldn't be at Pitt/Texas if it wasn't for that constant self promotion.

I get that. But he's a constant whirlwind of take job, look for next job. It's an attitude that hindering him from where he wants to go at this point.

The first reports I saw said he was offered 2 million from USC and then it was reported PITT matched the offer, then Filliponi stated he got a final offer 3.5 million from USC..

What happened between 2 million to 3.5 million?

It's called a negotiation.
You think filliponi knows anything ?!?

Or it could be that no one buys the hype.
Last time I checked he was coaching at one of the most prestigious schools in the country. Oh and BTW, his bio at UT says he's also the passing game coordinator - but I guess he's using Sark's passing concepts per you.

Last time I checked he was coaching at one of the most prestigious schools in the country. Oh and BTW, his bio at UT says he's also the passing game coordinator - but I guess he's using Sark's passing concepts per you.
Doesn't every WR coach get that nowadays? Pretty sure Underwood have that same title here at Pitt. Not saying Marion can't coach but just saying not sure that extra title means much. Think it's pretty commonplace.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT