ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Herbig to Steelers

Kazee is back too, I like that.
Now we need some WR's for Pickett.

He's a good backup. This plugs a hole. Now they don't need to reach for a left guard. They can go into the year with Herbig and Dotson if the draft board doesn't go their way and a good guard doesn't fall to them.

He's a good backup. This plugs a hole. Now they don't need to reach for a left guard. They can go into the year with Herbig and Dotson if the draft board doesn't go their way and a good guard doesn't fall to them.

Agree. It gives them options come draft day. At the very least he’s reasonably priced veteran depth who can step in and play.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Agree. It gives them options come draft day. At the very least he’s reasonably priced veteran depth who can step in and play.
As of now looks like ILB is the biggest hole to do something about before draft day. A good number of the top free agents already off the board, some taking fairly Cap-friendly deals that the Steelers could have absorbed.

It's fine, but a little depressing to think that 2/5 of our line will be comprised of other teams' backups... and they might very well end up being our best two linemen.

This one feels kind of like...

29p9bk.jpg

Feels like we
Mason Cole? He's fine. It's more depressing knowing Dan Moore and Chuks Okorafor will be the starting tackles.

That's my point, though... Cole was a backup, and he'll be one of our better linemen. I remember when our backup linemen used to go start elsewhere. Beachum, Urbik, Hubbard, can't remember if Okobi did, etc. We're seeing how the other half lives.

Mason Cole? He's fine. It's more depressing knowing Dan Moore and Chuks Okorafor will be the starting tackles.
They improved greatly during the season last year. There is still time to get a tackle in FA or the draft.

They improved greatly during the season last year. There is still time to get a tackle in FA or the draft.
Yeah they improved a good bit over the course of last year to where the OL wasn’t a liability.

What I still find amazing about last year, assuming I have my info correct, our starting 5 OL played every snap of last year. That is more than amazing and definitely not something you can count on happening again. So it will be good to have some adequate depth.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Feels like we

That's my point, though... Cole was a backup, and he'll be one of our better linemen. I remember when our backup linemen used to go start elsewhere. Beachum, Urbik, Hubbard, can't remember if Okobi did, etc. We're seeing how the other half lives.
I'm not worried that Cole was a backup or part-time starter, he's a good player and an above average starter. Herbig is an excellent run blocker from everything I read and a capable starter. I still want one stud in this group and another above average player, but the collective effort of all five players is more valuable than the skill of any individual.

I'm not worried that Cole was a backup or part-time starter, he's a good player and an above average starter. Herbig is an excellent run blocker from everything I read and a capable starter. I still want one stud in this group and another above average player, but the collective effort of all five players is more valuable than the skill of any individual.

I've got nothing against him. But at some point, you need some stars SOMEwhere. Our offense is littered with players who are something between below average and a little above average. It's the most "serviceable" unit ever. And we ain't changing our QB, RB, or TE anytime soon... and we're probably going with these current receivers for two more years. So T seems like the position to add star power. Better hit on one in the draft.

I've got nothing against him. But at some point, you need some stars SOMEwhere. Our offense is littered with players who are something between below average and a little above average. It's the most "serviceable" unit ever. And we ain't changing our QB, RB, or TE anytime soon... and we're probably going with these current receivers for two more years. So T seems like the position to add star power. Better hit on one in the draft.
Just saying that Cole is worthy of a starting position. If you want to talk low quality players, it should begin with 1. Dan Moore and then 2a/b. Chuks Okorafor and Kevin Dotson.

Just saying that Cole is worthy of a starting position. If you want to talk low quality players, it should begin with 1. Dan Moore and then 2a/b. Chuks Okorafor and Kevin Dotson.

I don't disagree. My comments were more of an indictment on them than anything. Cole, although fine as a starter, was still a backup elsewhere... And he's still better than at least 3/5 of our line.

What free agent ILBs are left to sign. There aren’t any ILBs in the draft worthy of 1st round but otherwise it is likely the biggest need on the team.
I said what I said
There are still 16 free agents plus likely trade targets

Last edited:
You better move MLB up a few spots there

I don't have them in order, but I don't know that taking a MLB in the third round is low. It's not as important as those other three positions. Shoot, we drafted a rookie LT in the 4th round and plugged him in as a starter. No, really, we did that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT