ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Herbig to Steelers

Sure -
But look at the deals pretty pedestrian ILB are signing as FA?!?!
Buddy it’s Pennie’s on the compared to OLB and DB

In general, it just seems like common sense to address the big money positions (QB, Edge, T, WR, CB, DT) through the early rounds of the draft and the lesser money positions (RB, MLB, Interior OL, TE, S) through free agency. Both because higher draft picks are usually more talented and because you want those positions on rookie contracts.

Obviously there are always going to be a few exceptions: You might be solidified at a certain position; there might be a freak at a "lesser money" position; etc.

But yeah - Shazier (1st), Bush (1st, 2nd, 3rd), Fitzpatrick (1st), Friermuth (2nd), Edmunds (1st), Davis (2nd), Harris (1st), Bell (2nd) is a lot of draft capital to be throwing at the wrong positions.

They're not all bad players or anything. Just the wrong way to build, in my opinion. Free agents at the more imperative positions are expensive. So if you build this way, you're going to end up with, well, 32-year-olds at CB, mid-round picks who suck at the tackle spots, an underwhelming receiving corps, and aging d-line, etc.

Reactions: pittmeister
In general, it just seems like common sense to address the big money positions (QB, Edge, T, WR, CB, DT) through the early rounds of the draft and the lesser money positions (RB, MLB, Interior OL, TE, S) through free agency. Both because higher draft picks are usually more talented and because you want those positions on rookie contracts.

Obviously there are always going to be a few exceptions: You might be solidified at a certain position; there might be a freak at a "lesser money" position; etc.

But yeah - Shazier (1st), Bush (1st, 2nd, 3rd), Fitzpatrick (1st), Friermuth (2nd), Edmunds (1st), Davis (2nd), Harris (1st), Bell (2nd) is a lot of draft capital to be throwing at the wrong positions.

They're not all bad players or anything. Just the wrong way to build, in my opinion. Free agents at the more imperative positions are expensive. So if you build this way, you're going to end up with, well, 32-year-olds at CB, mid-round picks who suck at the tackle spots, an underwhelming receiving corps, and aging d-line, etc.
Tackle and CB are two positions that rarely have a lot of guys that are ready to start but I generally can't disagree with your logic. WR's and DT's have gotten really expensive.

Yeah you convinced me on that rationale

Tackle and CB are two positions that rarely have a lot of guys that are ready to start but I generally can't disagree with your logic. WR's and DT's have gotten really expensive.

I feel like we're still missing that space-eating two-down NT. I get that it's not 1998 anymore and we miraculously graded out decent against the run this past season, but I'd rather have one on the roster than not.

Fun Fact:

Herbig finished 260 out of 260 in the 40 combine and it costs him to be drafted.

Steven Sims became a FA today, Steelers pretty thin at WR.
I see them getting a good one in the draft, one within first 3 picks.
LT-CB-WR-LB-DL

Reactions: Drew1208
I feel like we're still missing that space-eating two-down NT. I get that it's not 1998 anymore and we miraculously graded out decent against the run this past season, but I'd rather have one on the roster than not.
Isn’t that what Larry ogunjobi is ?
Is 305 not enough space ?

So basically Green turns out to be a wasted third rounder.
Especially considering 11 picks later the Broncos took one of the draft darlings, C/G, Quinn Meinerz. He has started 22 games so far in his NFL career. He's short too, but at least he doesn't look 5-foot-7 on the field.

One of the worst Steelers picks and what in the world were they thinking regarding Green?

Isn’t that what Larry ogunjobi is ?
Is 305 not enough space ?

I know there's some nuance in the packages, but was he even playing in the middle in the base? Thought it was mostly Heyward-Adams-Larry O.

Aside from that, he's about as league average as it gets, which is why that signing didn't grade out very well. It's not like an atrocity, but they certain overpaid him. He's not some block eater who frees up the middle linebackers.

All in all, he's certainly far from a traditional 3-4 NT cut from the Steed/Hampton cloth. 305 isn't very big at all. It's not small these days, but it's not big.

Aside from that, he's about as league average as it gets, which is why that signing didn't grade out very well. It's not like an atrocity, but they certain overpaid him. He's not some block eater who frees up the middle linebackers.
I don't think there was a ton of guaranteed money with his new contract so I think they are viewing it in terms of his upside and can move on if things change. Market driven all the way.

Makeover of the ILB group well underway now, followed up the Holcomb signing by releasing Jack and signing Miami LB Elandon Roberts.

Roberts looks like a reasonable Spillane facsimile at a cheaper price…. good against the run, struggles in coverage.

We rolling with Holcomb, Roberts, and Robinson as our top three? I have no idea if that is better or worse than last season.

Holcomb seems like an upgrade to anyone we had last year if healthy. Roberts takes Spillanes spot. Probably need to add one more as it’s still an area of weakness. But maybe not an immediate concern if they plan on drafting one early.

Holcomb seems like an upgrade to anyone we had last year if healthy. Roberts takes Spillanes spot. Probably need to add one more as it’s still an area of weakness. But maybe not an immediate concern if they plan on drafting one early.

I'm thinking cutting Jack puts drafting one in the 3rd or so back on the table. Unless we re-sign Jack at way less money or something... ?

Man, we have been pretty terrible at filling this position since Shazier played. I guess Bince the painter had his moments.

The ILB draft class is considered overall to be not very good. I hope there is another vet signed and one drafted in the later rounds.

I'm thinking cutting Jack puts drafting one in the 3rd or so back on the table. Unless we re-sign Jack at way less money or something... ?

Man, we have been pretty terrible at filling this position since Shazier played. I guess Bince the painter had his moments.
Yeah they need to add one more thought the draft or free agency. Overall I’d give them a C maybe a C plus. Not good but not horrible either. We’ll need to see how this fits with who they draft to get a better assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT