ADVERTISEMENT

New new RJ Davis thread

NGPittCali

Freshman
Jul 14, 2019
Bad news Evan Daniel's just CBed him a little bit ago. That means it's about 100% likely he is going to UNC.

We need a plan B!

Reactions: Drew1208
With everything I’ve seen...I sure hope Capel is in New York with the Davis’s laughing about how they just played UNC

Unfortunately, if RJ Davis doesn’t commit and we go 2 straight classes with 0 consensus top 100 players that’s just not good enough and there has to be some staff changes. It will be another so-so recruiting class with the best recruiting assistant in the country as head coach.

Unfortunately, if RJ Davis doesn’t commit and we go 2 straight classes with 0 consensus top 100 players that’s just not good enough and there has to be some staff changes. It will be another so-so recruiting class with the best recruiting assistant in the country as head coach.
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

I still say , we haven't seen the 2nd class play yet, it may be Capel has an eye for players not fully appreciated or who are underrated. And there's still no guarantee X is gone after next year so it could be a moot point if we whiff on Davis ( which I believe is the case). He's on his 3rd class , but we've only seen one class play. Patience is a virtue here.

Reactions: JRPITT and Drew1208
I still say , we haven't seen the 2nd class play yet, it may be Capel has an eye for players not fully appreciated or who are underrated. And there's still no guarantee X is gone after next year so it could be a moot point if we whiff on Davis ( which I believe is the case). He's on his 3rd class , but we've only seen one class play. Patience is a virtue here.
Last year’s class was a major disappointment. Capel was supposed to be like Leonard Hamilton trying to overwhelm with talent not like Jamie Dixon trying to find diamonds in the rough.

That's kind of my point , we haven't last years class play yet. We will see here in a couple weeks though.

Even with a Davis miss Capel has recruited decently, and who knows what kind of options open up for PG with the portal and grad transfers. I want to keep a positive lean until it's time to not be positive. That team was under talented last year but those kids played hard all the time. I don't think it's an accident.

Hence the word IF. But as someone said, Daniels doesn’t CB unless he knows: this one is most likely done.
It may be done. But Capel and company got the guy they absolutely needed to with Big John. Had we missed there, I would have even suggested something was indeed amiss and changes maybe needed to happen.

But losing Davis to UNC just doesn’t say that in my opinion.

It may be done. But Capel and company got the guy they absolutely needed to with Big John. Had we missed there, I would have even suggested something was indeed amiss and changes maybe needed to happen.

But losing Davis to UNC just doesn’t say that in my opinion.
I get it, and I get the wait and see approach. And it’s just my opinion, but that’s how I saw the Capel hire. And if he’s this close on this many good kids, why not upgrade the staff to get even better.

I get it, and I get the wait and see approach. And it’s just my opinion, but that’s how I saw the Capel hire. And if he’s this close on this many good kids, why not upgrade the staff to get even better.
I understand your point and have had similar notions. But losing Davis to UNC just isn’t a red flag to me.

And that isn’t to say that upgrading the staff isn’t a good idea.

But let’s not put this on staff. Jeff Capel’s relationship mattered most and it was a great relationship. But Davis wanted to play for a winning program. Plain and simply, that just isn’t us right now.

But let’s not put this on staff. Jeff Capel’s relationship mattered most and it was a great relationship. But Davis wanted to play for a winning program. Plain and simply, that just isn’t us right now.
So now you’re resigning yourself to the fact he isn’t coming? Not good

You bring up valid points. And if the product doesn't match the expectations we see on the floor then I'm all in on. But I think Capel has a connection with these kids that's why they played so hard last year, and with the upgraded talent I'm looking forward to what we see this year. The Davis whiff hurts but ole Roy came charging in late and that is a temptation hard to resist. If I'm a dook guy we all know it's because Roy cheats!

I don't know what to make of the unfollow thing when you've been recruiting a kid and being there like a family member then you unfollow when you see they picked someone else. I need to think about this, instant reaction is I don't like it It might be a calendar item for JC though who knows how he uses Twitter?

I’m confused. What’s wrong with no longer following someone if they’ve decided elsewhere? He’s not his fan, he’s following him for a purpose and if in fact that purpose no longer exists you move on.
The baby emotions here are yours. If a recruit doesn’t work out you get pout and cry.
Actually no. You’re rationalizing against me because the head coach of Pitt is acting like a middle school girl that just got dumped.

Guess Capel’s “relationships” are fake and recruits will take notice of that.

I wanted Davis real bad but Capel's best recruiting feat might be to convince XJ to stay one more year.

I’m confused. What’s wrong with no longer following someone if they’ve decided elsewhere? He’s not his fan, he’s following him for a purpose and if in fact that purpose no longer exists you move on.
The baby emotions here are yours. If a recruit doesn’t work out you get pout and cry.

That's the adult response. Maybe I'm reading into things too much and applying my own bugaboos. I just saw how Capel preaches the family angle so just dropping a kid seemed a little harsh. I'm more liberal than I thought. You made a great point.

That's the adult response. Maybe I'm reading into things too much and applying my own bugaboos. I just saw how Capel preaches the family angle so just dropping a kid seemed a little harsh. I'm more liberal than I thought. You made a great point.
So his whole relationship with Davis was a fraud relationship. He doesn’t actually care about the kid. I’m sure will be noted by him and his aau program

Would have been a great get and a great class. But Capel now has months to line up a point guard for 2020, either a grad transfer or freshman. It's not easy but with the rest of the class set, he knows what priority 1 is at least.

Do you really think the staff needs upgraded? I think recruiting by this staff has been good considering the circumstances. I expect it will get better as a record gets better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT