ADVERTISEMENT

New new RJ Davis thread

I will take a step back I'm drinking a little and you are right I fked up the quotes. But I will be back later to fight these arrogant pricks who think they got it all figured out even though their influence hasn't made Pitt a top 10 at anything.
I have zero influence on anything other than apparently your mood because I have a different opinion than you. I’m sorry you’re triggered

I have zero influence on anything other than apparently your mood because I have a different opinion than you. I’m sorry you’re triggered

Given how you’ve responded to a little pushback, I think you’re the one who is triggered.

You provide great info. I disagree with his you're assessing Hugley (as my previous post indicates). But you’re being awfully sensitive and defensive.

Ok - back to the original topic, shall we??

What is plan b now? Reading all different sites and talking to one or two people, the only things I could gather are, they never assumed they would get RJ and have been evaluating other 2020 targets, they are still talking to and pursuing Shakeel Moore (despite what some other posters may say), they are looking at some of the 2021 kids to see if they can get them to reclass...and they still plan to take 5 in this class

I guess the question everyone has is who are those other 2020 targets? If Moore is still interested I’m okay with that...can you bring your buddy Hall with you though...

Reactions: Drew1208
A lot of top kids aren’t going to sign in the early signing period so u will see ur occasional decommitments

Reactions: Drew1208
A lot of top kids aren’t going to sign in the early signing period so u will see ur occasional decommitments

Agreed, as another poster mentioned it’s not time to panic. We have done well early, let’s see what Capel and company can lock up early next year. I still think there are a number of people out there that really have no idea how difficult it is to rebuild an entire program. Capel is not just changing players, he is building a brand long term...let’s let this play out.

Agreed, as another poster mentioned it’s not time to panic. We have done well early, let’s see what Capel and company can lock up early next year. I still think there are a number of people out there that really have no idea how difficult it is to rebuild an entire program. Capel is not just changing players, he is building a brand long term...let’s let this play out.
As bad as it sucks to lose RJ, I'm feeling optimistic because we solidified most of the pieces that we needed.
And with a small sample size im impressed with Capels eye for talent.

I know this is a common argument made on this board after a highly pursued recruit chooses elsewhere and I can expect to get ridiculed for saying this, but I believe Davis was paid off. Let me explain my theory. UNC offered Davis in July I believe, while Capel has been on RJ since his junior year. It was openly stated and believed that Davis was a fallback option for the Tar Heels in case other recruits chose to play ball elsewhere, while he was Capel's #1 target in the 2020 class. Also, Roy Williams plans to bring in three guards in this class, while he has five that aren't graduating. Cole Anthony is obviously a one-and-done but that's still four underclassmen guards plus two recruits plus Davis. At Pitt, he would be our starting PG come day one while he will have to fight for playing time at Chapel Hill. Now, I understand Prestige and wanting to win, but Pitt can do that over the course of his college career as well. Maybe I'm just a salty Pitt fan, but I feel like I made my point clear. I can't wait to hear how the crowd reacts next year when we play UNC at the Pete next year. Until then, hopefully Capel can find someone better or Johnson stays another year.

I don’t know what happened...but something about this whole thing does stink.
Just saying with respect, I hope he enjoys getting less minutes on the court and more time riding the bench at UNC. Pitt is a program on the rise and if he doesn't want to be a part of future success, then so be it. We'll move on and find a guy like Shakeel Moore or someone better than Davis.

Reactions: Tonyt66
This was always a concern with Davis and I hope the staff takes something away from this recruitment.

We’re not equipped to recruit against blue bloods. You can put on your Panther glasses and spin it how you wish, but it’s a cold reality of the CBB landscape. We really have to pick our spots when recruiting top 50 talent because, as we’re seeing, you run the risk of getting pushed aside when one of the big boys get interested.

Keep seeing that people think UNC is taking Cole Anthony in the same class as RJ. Cole Anthony is a 2019 player and will be gone by the time RJ enrolls in 2020. Currently UNC has two guards in their 2020 class - RJ (rumored soon to be confirmed) and Caleb Love.

I know there is a lot of whining over losing RJ to UNC, but honestly when was the last time it came down to us and UNC for a recruit??? Ummm Never. No shame in losing to one of the top 3-4 programs in the country.

The complaint about Dixon is that he wouldn't swing for these big recruits, KS never could get in the door and before Dixon/Howland the program wasn't relevant enough to even be considered.

Now we have a coach who not only goes after these recruits but gets us in the door and in the top 2-3. It is only a matter of time before we start landing them, but the top kids want to come to college and WIN and right now we haven't won since these kids have been in middle school or elementary school As soon as we start winning consistently we will get top kids to come here.

As for now, we are recruiting solid 4* and high 3* star kids who fit our system and are good kids and will build a program that will consistently win and make the University proud that they represent it.

Pack the Pete this year and support this team and show recruits what kind of place Pittsburgh is to play in.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I know this is a common argument made on this board after a highly pursued recruit chooses elsewhere and I can expect to get ridiculed for saying this, but I believe Davis was paid off. Let me explain my theory. UNC offered Davis in July I believe, while Capel has been on RJ since his junior year. It was openly stated and believed that Davis was a fallback option for the Tar Heels in case other recruits chose to play ball elsewhere, while he was Capel's #1 target in the 2020 class. Also, Roy Williams plans to bring in three guards in this class, while he has five that aren't graduating. Cole Anthony is obviously a one-and-done but that's still four underclassmen guards plus two recruits plus Davis. At Pitt, he would be our starting PG come day one while he will have to fight for playing time at Chapel Hill. Now, I understand Prestige and wanting to win, but Pitt can do that over the course of his college career as well. Maybe I'm just a salty Pitt fan, but I feel like I made my point clear. I can't wait to hear how the crowd reacts next year when we play UNC at the Pete next year. Until then, hopefully Capel can find someone better or Johnson stays another year.
Lol. So your argument is that Roy Williams, in the twilight of his career, decided to pay for his second best PG recruit in the class... yikes

He wasn’t a blue blood type of recruit when Capel started recruiting him, so the picking your spots doesn’t make sense here. He blew up in the spring/early summer. UNC jumped on board a whole year after Capel basically. Nothing Capel can really do different here in my opinion. He recruited the heck out of RJ and lost. What more can be done but move on...

Lol. So your argument is that Roy Williams, in the twilight of his career, decided to pay for his second best PG recruit in the class... yikes
Exactly. He has his choice of essentially every 5 star guard in the country, yet he’s going to pay for an under recruited 5’11’ guard who may be the #3 guard in their class when this is over? Plus they have Zaire Williams coming into a loaded class.

i dont care if someone is a 4* or 5* recruit, if you think colleges arent giving them more benefits than allowed your kidding yourself, their are so many blue blood schools that are about to get hammered for it

i dont care if someone is a 4* or 5* recruit, if you think colleges arent giving them more benefits than allowed your kidding yourself, their are so many blue blood schools that are about to get hammered for it
But not UNC...

the worst part of this argument is that you realize this is what others were saying about Capel when Toney and McGowens committed...

Reactions: TheLogicalTake
except for players taking fake classes, and getting away without punishment...
Right. You said blue bloods were about to get hammered with sanctions. UNC is not about to. They should be hammering Duke for Zion and Bagley though, who were both recruited by....

These arguments about paying kids is dumb. If that’s what it would’ve taken, we would’ve done it.

except for players taking fake classes, and getting away without punishment...
Roy should have been punished for that. They got caught, and He got off on a technicality because other students, not just hoops players, were filtered through those classes. But it’s the same stuff that goes on everywhere.

Everywhere.

But not UNC...

the worst part of this argument is that you realize this is what others were saying about Capel when Toney and McGowens committed...
And what are UNC homers saying today? They are saying good ole baby blue pure Roy just beat out Capel for RJD, despite being 100% clean and despite Capel’s bag man.

Welcome to fandom.

Reactions: GrowthHormone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT