ADVERTISEMENT

New new RJ Davis thread

Nope. Watched him play with Indy Heat and have watched him with Brush. He’s gonna be a good player. He’s not gonna put us over the top or anything like a Davis could have. He’s a fine player. What’s wrong with that?
I’ll give you credit, you’ve at least seen him play. I get the impression that most on here that either rave about or complain about a given recruit haven’t seen anything other than highlight reel videos.

Nope. Watched him play with Indy Heat and have watched him with Brush. He’s gonna be a good player. He’s not gonna put us over the top or anything like a Davis could have. He’s a fine player. What’s wrong with that?

I respect your perspective on Hugley because I've only seen tape on him. I don't know if he's going to put us over the top but IMO I do think he'll make us a lot better and I do think RJ would have made even a bigger difference. Rivals has big John at 95 so I guess it just depends on who you like more 247Sports or Rivals but either way he's going to help us big-time.

There's only one thing that I may slightly disagree with you about is it sounds like you don't give him any chance of getting to much better it's like you're pigeon holding him with no room to grow. With a whole year to grow and with his body changing he could considerably be way better by the time he gets here. Just my humble opinion!

There's only one thing that I may slightly disagree with you about is it sounds like you don't give him any chance of getting to much better it's like you're pigeon holding him with no room to grow. With a whole year to grow and with his body changing he could considerably be way better by the time he gets here. Just my humble opinion!
I think even if he doesn’t get better he’s gonna be a good player. Not sure why saying someone is gonna be good or fine is bad. He could surprise and get a lot better. I don’t like the upside of a below the rim 4 who can’t shoot though. That’s my opinion and no amount of name calling or anything will change it

Reactions: cabe23 and Tonyt66
I think even if he doesn’t get better he’s gonna be a good player. Not sure why saying someone is gonna be good or fine is bad. He could surprise and get a lot better. I don’t like the upside of a below the rim 4 who can’t shoot though. That’s my opinion and no amount of name calling or anything will change it

You thinking he may not get to much better is not bad talk against him because that's just your opinion on what you have seen and what you think and to me that's okay because I just think that he can and that's okay but I think we both agree to the fact that we think he will help us and he will be an upgrade from TB and Kene in scoring and Rebs. If I'm not mistaken I think we both feel good about him coming here!

The jerkstore called they ran out of you
I said he’s a fine player. There’s not much upside to him though. He’s gonna be what he is. That’s why he’s ranked 117
I disagree I think he has a fair ceiling.
Not a huge ceiling.
But for instance a much higher ceiling than Coulibaly.
And the true story that doesn't show in his rankings is his movement forward.
He jumped 80 spots overnight which is a positive sign.

You thinking he may not get to much better is not bad talk against him because that's just your opinion on what you have seen and what you think and to me that's okay because I just think that he can and that's okay but I think we both agree to the fact that we think he will help us and he will be an upgrade from TB and Kene in scoring and Rebs. If I'm not mistaken I think we both feel good about him coming here!
Yeah he was a must get with the time and resources spent on him. I even PRAISED the adamsun get because I’ve been waiting for one of these wild cards to commit to Pitt. We should be taking a long African once every 2 years at minimum.

Reactions: Tonyt66
But of course he doesn't put us over the top.....we'll need a wing or guard to do that.
This team needs 1 star

I 100% agree with you on that Drew! I know it maybe a long shot but man if somehow Timberlake came here I think that would do it!

I’m firmly in the stars matter camps, so I already hate making this argument.... but...

I think looking at his ranking can be suggestive for what kind of impact he will make next year. Not what kind of impact he will make over the course of his career at Pitt. Davis will have a bigger impact from day 1, sure. But Pitt will never consistently land those types of players. They need to get very good kids who will be excellent upper class men.

Hugley may not be DeMarcus Cousins but he could be Draymond Green, a 3-star who got really, really good over four years.

I have a similar impression as Bballinsider based on watching only highlight videos. Big, strong guy but not very athletic, doesn't really elevate. Strong guy with decent footwork around the hoop--a nice complimentary big to be paired with another more athletic big is what I project from those limited videos. We shall see how he ultimately pans out. Certainly he is better than Amadasun right now but he may not be so in 2-3 years if, or when, Amadasun's greater athleticism gets better hoops skills added. Just my opinion though--and solely based on limited video looks.

Last edited:
I’m firmly in the stars matter camps, so I already hate making this argument.... but...

I think looking at his ranking can be suggestive for what kind of impact he will make next year. Not what kind of impact he will make over the course of his career at Pitt. Davis will have a bigger impact from day 1, sure. But Pitt will never consistently land those types of players. They need to get very good kids who will be excellent upper class men.

Hugley may not be DeMarcus Cousins but he could be Draymond Green, a 3-star who got really, really good over four years.
Yeah our program will never be full of lottery picks. Our success was built primarily on 4 year guys who improve and get better. That is what I like about this class, and even last class, they are those bedrock guys. What you hope is you have a solid base, a good nucleus, and then you add a Steven Adams for a one and done. When we got Adams, we did not have that nucleus like we had in prior years.

Conversely, LSU celebrated Ben Simmons coming there, Darius Garland at Vandy, but those schools weren't elevated at all.

Yeah our program will never be full of lottery picks. Our success was built primarily on 4 year guys who improve and get better. That is what I like about this class, and even last class, they are those bedrock guys. What you hope is you have a solid base, a good nucleus, and then you add a Steven Adams for a one and done. When we got Adams, we did not have that nucleus like we had in prior years.

Conversely, LSU celebrated Ben Simmons coming there, Darius Garland at Vandy, but those schools weren't elevated at all.

Yeah. My hope is that Capel recruits like peak-Dixon but has more ability to land those one or two elusive elite guys that put Pitt over the top.

I have a similar impression as Bballinsider based on watching only highlight videos. Big, strong guy but not very athletic, doesn't really elevate. Strong guy with decent footwork around the hoop--a nice complimentary big to be paired with another more athletic big is what I project from those limited videos. We shall see how he ultimately pans out. Certainly he is better than Amadasun right now but ne may not be so in 2-3 years if, or when, Amadasun's greater athleticism gets better hoops skills added. Just my opinion though--and solely based on limited video looks.

By the way, I think Coulibaly will be a better player than Hugley, even though Coulibaly also doesn't have great hops. My impression from watching Coulibaly's play in Italy (vs the Hugley highlight videos) is that he is more mobile and has a longer wingspan/reach than Hugley. But, once again that is just an impression and may not prove to be reality.

I really like the quality depth we will have this yr but especially next yr it will make us hard to play against because the quality of play won't drop off too far from the starters to the bench. IMO

I looked at it from a 4 year perspective, and thought he was already calling the kids career, completely over looking hard work, desire, and the will to compete.

So by your thinking there’s 240 sophomores better than X !

Dude is just a hater, even if he has some decent information. It's super arrogant to box in the career of a guy who doesn't even have a uniform on yet , well because he saw him play. F off with that nonsense!

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Did you get to see Aaron Gray in high school or during his first 2 yrs at Pitt , what about Gary McGhee ... some kids get better some don’t . Judging a kids future by watching him play once or twice in high school is a little harsh .

Really good job by the moderators to clean it up. I'm not sorry for my post but I appreciate the removal of the trash and I contributed to it!

I wanted Davis real bad but Capel's best recruiting feat might be to convince XJ to stay one more year.
I don't see X leaving after this year. I'm sure he'd like to, but he's not an NBA player at this point. He's a solid college PG right now, but his jump shooting is just ok for a college player, and sub-par for an NBA PG, not to mention he's small.
If he stays 2-3 more years and improves his jump shot each year, he could turn himself into a draftable player. But he is along way from that now.

Dude is just a hater, even if he has some decent information. It's super arrogant to box in the career of a guy who doesn't even have a uniform on yet , well because he saw him play. F off with that nonsense!
That type of nonsense that stars or rankings don’t matter at all is the football mantra and every single 2 star or 3 star we sign is the next Aaron Donald, Greg Romeus or Revis. Same thinking applies here. You’re using exceptions to prove the rule.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
That type of nonsense that stars or rankings don’t matter at all is the football mantra and every single 2 star or 3 star we sign is the next Aaron Donald, Greg Romeus or Revis. Same thinking applies here. You’re using exceptions to prove the rule.
I’m sorry that I boxed John Hugley into being a good player at Pitt! What a travesty!!!

Reactions: Pitt 724_
Did you get to see Aaron Gray in high school or during his first 2 yrs at Pitt , what about Gary McGhee ... some kids get better some don’t . Judging a kids future by watching him play once or twice in high school is a little harsh .
Exceptions to prove the rule. Rankings and offers are by and large the best ways we have to measure a player and more often they’re correct. Why didn’t Michigan state or Ohio State push harder for the kid. I think he projects to be a solid good player. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!?

Exceptions to prove the rule. Rankings and offers are by and large the best ways we have to measure a player and more often they’re correct. Why didn’t Michigan state or Ohio State push harder for the kid. I think he projects to be a solid good player. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!?
If you want to say he’s not the kind of kid that’s coming in and leading Pitt to the sweet 16 I’m with you . Projecting how good someone can become 3/4 yrs down the road is another matter .

I’m not sure at what number , but at certain point I doubt that there’s much difference between # 45 and
# 125 , there’s only so many game changers per class .

If you want to say he’s not the kind of kid that’s coming in and leading Pitt to the sweet 16 I’m with you . Projecting how good someone can become 3/4 yrs down the road is another matter .

I’m not sure at what number , but at certain point I doubt that there’s much difference between # 45 and
# 125 , there’s only so many game changers per class .
He’s a solid piece. They need solid pieces. Guards and elite wings win in college

I don't see X leaving after this year. I'm sure he'd like to, but he's not an NBA player at this point. He's a solid college PG right now, but his jump shooting is just ok for a college player, and sub-par for an NBA PG, not to mention he's small.
If he stays 2-3 more years and improves his jump shot each year, he could turn himself into a draftable player. But he is along way from that now.

Agree that unless his 3-ball shooting improves a lot he won't be a 1st round NBA pick. He could very well head to the D-league or play overseas, however, if he is tired of college. On the other hand, he is not small for a PG. He is strong--at least 200 lbs and is, IMHO, a legit 6-2 or 6-3 having seen him on the court vs other players.

Last edited:
I was just down the Pete at there madness night and right near there bench he's 6'2 or 6'3 easily without a doubt and solid for his size. He definitely has an NBA point guard body now he'll prove this year whether he's ready for the NBA.

Small? Not for a PG. He is a legit 6-2 or 6-3, IMO.

I was just down the Pete at there madness night and right near there bench he's 6'2 or 6'3 easily without a doubt and solid for his size. He definitely has an NBA point guard body now he'll prove this year whether he's ready for the NBA.

Agree. Raleigh, or some other recent poster, claimed, XJ was only 6-1. That is clearly not the case.

I would believe 6-2 in socks, 6-3 in shoes.

Agree that unless his 3-ball shooting improves a lot he won't be a 1st round NBA pick. He could very well head to the D-league or play overseas, however, if he is tired of college. On the other hand, he is not small for a PG. He is strong--at least 200 lbs and is, IMHO, a legit 6-2 or 6-3 having seen him on the court vs other players.
Agreed he's definitely not small.

Calling a guy a good player and at the same time predicting the years, yes you get a healthy rebuke. You have no idea what he can or can't do. And you certainly don't know his demeanor after a couple of games. You play ponies? First timers are always amazed at how badly the horse wants to win.

He’s a solid piece. They need solid pieces. Guards and elite wings win in college

There's another thread about Noah maybe you can share your star based wisdom there as well, predict what he is going to be as well. I mean shit you know it all dude. You're a pimp.

There's another thread about Noah maybe you can share your star based wisdom there as well, predict what he is going to be as well. I mean shit you know it all dude. You're a pimp.
Wow! Cool post! You can only have an opinion if it’s the most favorable opinion of Pitt! Adding a lot of substance to the board

Reactions: Pitt 724_
Calling a guy a good player and at the same time predicting the years, yes you get a healthy rebuke. You have no idea what he can or can't do. And you certainly don't know his demeanor after a couple of games. You play ponies? First timers are always amazed at how badly the horse wants to win.

What is wrong with questioning whether a good player has a lot of upside (or not) if the guy doesn't appear to possess high end athleticism? After all, you can only do so much with work on skills and effort no matter how much of a gym rat you are.

It is a generalization; of course, but, the higher upside guys are typically very athletic while not highly or fully developed skills wise. Hugley may have upside limits due to a lack of high-end athleticism relative to his physical size. It is not unreasonable to believe that to likely be the case from watching his videos.

I will take a step back I'm drinking a little and you are right I fked up the quotes. But I will be back later to fight these arrogant pricks who think they got it all figured out even though their influence hasn't made Pitt a top 10 at anything.

What is wrong with questioning whether a good player has a lot of upside (or not) if the guy doesn't appear to possess high end athleticism? After all, you can only do so much with work on skills and effort no matter how much of a gym rat you are.

It is a generalization; of course, but, the higher upside guys are typically very athletic while not highly or fully developed skills wise. Hugley may have upside limits due to a lack of high-end athleticism relative to his physical size. It is not unreasonable to believe that to likely be the case from watching his videos.

Hugley reminds me at this point quite a bit of former Pitt player Tyrell Biggs.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=484

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT