ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
So who is back, who is gone, who do you want in the portal?

Fede
Twins
Hinson
Those four must remain a core and I think they will given what they achieved this year.

Santos - Before the tourney I thought would return, now not so sure and think he can be recruited over, though am not opposed to a return.

Dior - does he really transfer after practicing and supporting this team, or does he already see himself taking the reigns?

Jeffress - with the success and practice time I think he returns for an initial off the bench defensive role and hopefully more improved game.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Really hope Dior plays for us next year. If he does, still gotta get another quality guard; otherwise two of them. And I think we need to add another frontcourt player with bulk/size who can play the 5. It would give JC the option of having the twins both man the 4, and it would give a considerable size advantage there.

I see Jeffress and Santos as too similar to keep both on the roster. My assumption all along has been Santos will transfer out. Will can be a quality defender off the bench. I have my doubts he'll ever be any good offensively, but he can help in limited minutes.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
I would agree with Jeffress over santos if only 1 can stay, but will Capel even fill all the slots. In that case, I’d rather have both than an empty ship. In hindsight, the team lacked depth and could have used another player or two.

Last edited:
You can never have enough good, veteran guards. That is the #1 and #2 priority this offseason in the transfer market.
Number one priority is a point guard. Number two is a lights out shooting 2. The rest is gravy. I like a front court of Fede GDG and Hinson. Fede needs to work on scoring near the rim and developing a jump hook.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
So much room for improved athleticism with Cummings and Elliot leaving. Don't get me wrong: I like having those guys on the team. But those two, in conjunction with Hinson, really puts you at an athletic/defense disadvantage. You can mask one or two of them, but all three getting those minutes is a lot. Even though we are losing a ton of offense, we have an opportunity to get significantly better on defense and the glass.

They need a starting big. They have two backup centers
I think they did Ok this year without a starting Big. You have to assume Fede and the twins will be better I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think they could be as good as Xavier’s big.

More pressing is getting guys to replace Nellie and Jb Without experienced guards the bigs don’t matter

Now would it be nice to have a big who can score inside for sure. I’m not debating that. I just think it terms of priorities it’s down the list a bit

I think the long term plan is Guillermo at the four and Jorge at the three. But yeah, as BBI says, Hinson has to be your 32 minute per game guy at the four next year.
Yeah the people thinking they’re gonna magically put on 25-30 lbs and all of a sudden play “big”, I have to believe that their weight program over the last 2 years (IMG and Pitt) has already put on a lot of good weight. They can probably only realistically add another 10 functional pounds to not drastically change their games.

So much room for improved athleticism with Cummings and Elliot leaving. Don't get me wrong: I like having those guys on the team. But those two, in conjunction with Hinson, really puts you at an athletic/defense disadvantage. You can mask one or two of them, but all three getting those minutes is a lot. Even though we are losing a ton of offense, we have an opportunity to get significantly better on defense and the glass.

Love those guys, but it’s a fair point especially on the defensive/rebounding front.

I think the long term plan is Guillermo at the four and Jorge at the three. But yeah, as BBI says, Hinson has to be your 32 minute per game guy at the four next year.
I joked about the red fish but it would be nice to see Blake get more fit and work more on taking his man off the dribble.

I just don’t see Jorge as a three

I think they did Ok this year without a starting Big. You have to assume Fede and the twins will be better I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think they could be as good as Xavier’s big.

More pressing is getting guys to replace Nellie and Jb Without experienced guards the bigs don’t matter

Now would it be nice to have a big who can score inside for sure. I’m not debating that. I just think it terms of priorities it’s down the list a bit
Yes they have to replace 4 guards. Obviously priority 1
I think GDG could be a starting center given what I saw in the tournament. Yes he needs bulk but he held his own even given his limited size.
Xavier front court had 32 on 22 shots. They need some sort of defensive presence up front, whether it be Fede, GDG or a better player

Yeah the people thinking they’re gonna magically put on 25-30 lbs and all of a sudden play “big”, I have to believe that their weight program over the last 2 years (IMG and Pitt) has already put on a lot of good weight. They can probably only realistically add another 10 functional pounds to not drastically change their games.
Yup. Said that in another thread. But I do think there’s some significant upside for them next year if they do that. Think Pittsnoggle LOL

Yes they have to replace 4 guards. Obviously priority 1

Xavier front court had 32 on 22 shots. They need some sort of defensive presence up front, whether it be Fede, GDG or a better player
Yup. If you can get a talented big you take him for sure. But just about every team in the country is looking for that guy.

If only Hugley had stayed. LOL

They can't go from four seniors (Nelly/Burton/Elliott/Nike) to four freshman (Dior/Lowe/Carrington/Barnes) and Jeffress/Santos.

We will see who they can go after in the portal. Should be much more attractive this year. They could really target all 1-3 in the portal.

Don't expect us to be Miami and get the elite transfers, but guys coming from the MWC, AAC, A-10, etc. should be a reasonable expectation.

A few guys I would monitor to see if they enter the portal:

Isaiah Stevens, PG Colorado State: elite shooter and passer. Walked on senior day with one year remaining. One year bridge to Carrington/Lowe.

Damian Dunn, CG Temple: walked on senior day with two years remaining. More of a Burton who can shoot at all three levels. Adds length at 6'5".

Sion James, Wing, Tulane: we could use an athletic on ball defender. Can also get to the rim.

Already in the portal:
Jaykwon Walton, Wing, Wichita State: we need to get bigger on the wing.

They don't need a big. Fede and Blake should start with the twins backing up. If there is a freshman you like in the portal then add that type of big to fill out the roster.

The only way those two guys are putting on 25-30 pounds of muscle to make them better basketball players by the start of the season next fall is to find a little of that "magic" that a certain big-headed former Pirate found.

I mean that's where he got most of his time this season, so I don't see why not.

He's got to shoot a little better and get a little better handle, but if he does that's where his skill set belongs.
I’ll take your word for it but I honestly didn’t notice if the twins were out there at the same time with either Blake or Fede

Badly need a quality big with muscle. At least, we do if we are talking being better next year and not just patching the graduation holes. Twins are wings even if they beef up some. Need post with muscle to backup Fede or for Fede to back up if you can get someone better than Fede.

If Mintz can play the minutes he did as a frosh, why not Lowe?

Number one priority is a point guard. Number two is a lights out shooting 2. The rest is gravy. I like a front court of Fede GDG and Hinson. Fede needs to work on scoring near the rim and developing a jump hook.
Veteran guards - You can never have enough good veteran guards and good veteran shooters. Spreading out the other team with good spacing and creating mismatches. Cow College was a good example this year.

Reactions: jrozycki
I had the same thought re: Jorge during the Miss State game. With his ability to slash and hit the three ball, he can become an extremely difficult player to guard over the next 2-3 seasons.

Reactions: jrozycki
Badly need a quality big with muscle. At least, we do if we are talking being better next year and not just patching the graduation holes. Twins are wings even if they beef up some. Need post with muscle to backup Fede or for Fede to back up if you can get someone better than Fede.
Fede was really good this year. People are underestimating his improvement as the year went on. His offensive production was also elite. Runs in transition and finishes everything at the rim. His offensive rebounding was better than Hugley last year. Fede and GDG are your 5's next year.
If Mintz can play the minutes fe did as a frosh, why not Lowe?
This year's high school class is the worst in 20 years according to some NBA draft folks. I know that's more at the top 20 and not 50-80, but I would try to have reasonable expectations for our freshman next year. Also Syracuse stunk this year, so I don't know how much of Mintz's game was empty production.

Reactions: pittbb80
2 veteran guards that can shoot pass and dribble is a must.

Everything after that is gravy.
Rayj Dennis is highest on my list so far.
I like the kid from Colorado St too

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT