ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

They need to add 3 guards from the portal at a minimum. These days you can’t rely on freshmen. Maybe one of them emerges and grabs big minutes, but you need older guys, including a true PG and an Elliott-type 3-point shooter.

They need to add 3 guards from the portal at a minimum. These days you can’t rely on freshmen. Maybe one of them emerges and grabs big minutes, but you need older guys, including a true PG and an Elliott-type 3-point shooter.
Agreed - it’s better to have more than not enough. Hopefully Dior steps up, but I’m not ready to mark it down for sure.

Agreed - it’s better to have more than not enough. Hopefully Dior steps up, but I’m not ready to mark it down for sure.
I am OK with 2 transfer guards (if D.Johnson) stays, but not 3.

Yeah, experience played a huge role in this years success,but so did defined roles and defined playing time. That also was a large part in allowing our great team chemistry.

4 stars do not come in to sit and watch. The transfers need to be Nike types. Insurance.

Last edited:

Yeah, experience played a huge role in this years success,but so did defined roles and defined playing time.

4 stars do not come in to sit and watch. The transfers need to be Nike types. Insurance.
I disagree ........transfers need to be better than the freshman. And the freshman don't need to sit. But they also shouldn't rely on 30 minute games from freshman.

I think no matter how good the transfers are. I want them to be better than Nelly and Nike, who were highly flawed but great

We can improve at virtually every position this offseason and that should be the goal. You can't wait for freshman or expect them to carry you.

And if three freshman prove they should start over the transfers...... then you just got yourself the best problem ever

Reactions: Elsalvador
I disagree ........transfers need to be better than the freshman. And the freshman don't need to sit. But they also shouldn't rely on 30 minute games from freshman.

I think no matter how good the transfers are. I want them to be better than Nelly and Nike, who were highly flawed but great

We can improve at virtually every position this offseason and that should be the goal. You can't wait for freshman or expect them to carry you.

And if three freshman prove they should start over the transfers...... then you just got yourself the best problem ever
Glad you allow for the possibility of your last sentence.

A small step back may precede the next big step forward.

Yeah, experience played a huge role in this years success,but so did defined roles and defined playing time. That also was a large part in allowing our great team chemistry.

A 3 guard lineup provides 120 minutes of PT. Nobody can say for sure whether Dior will be here come the first game.

Glad you allow for the possibility of your last sentence.

A small step back may precede the next big step forward.
There is one thing we could guarantee is that we could finally have good depth

Reactions: gary2
Ideally there is more depth to give them all rest, which may in itself help with the defensive effort. Is it a stretch that Dior would at least equal one of Nelly, JB, Sibande, or Elliott? Also, is Sibande officially done or will he try to petition?

Also, remember next year Pittsburgh is a host site for first and second round games. I believe you have to be top 16 (top 4 seed) to be geographically protected.

Pitt should be aiming for that next year. Really need to get some guards/wings in the portal.

Wanting the transfers to be better than Nelly and Nike may be easier said than done. But we’ll see what Capel and staff may be able to do coming off this year’s success on top of being able to sell a lot of playing time.

Reactions: Drew1208
I'm sure things will work out, but as I see it now our two best returning players play the 4. GDG can fake it as a small ball 5 for a few minutes a game but we saw the limitations of that today. Maybe if Hinson loses weight and improves his body he can play some 3 next year.. but I'm not betting on that.

Wanting the transfers to be better than Nelly and Nike may be easier said than done. But we’ll see what Capel and staff may be able to do coming off this year’s success on top of being able to sell a lot of playing time.
No doubt it's not going to be easy. I just think it's possible.

Reactions: BTisinDC
A lot of talk in this thread
about needs inside. Yes,
a big with some bulk would
be great, but we NEED guards.
Specifically an experienced
pg and an outside shooter.
We're losing four older,
experienced guards who at
one time or another carried
us this year. Their intangibles
can't be overlooked, and
need to be replaced. GUARDS,
GUARDS, and GUARDS. I'm
talking guards with talent,
experience, and maturity.

They won 24 games with Fede starting. If he improves, he'll be fine.
He’s fine. I’d also be fine with an upgrade over him. If they can grab a better player, they should.

The guard play should also not be as good or consistent masking some of Fede’s worse attributes next year

Yeah, I am going to be beating the drum for him all offf-season. If he had more shots to qualify his FG% would have been 5th in the country.
Clearly Fede was hurt since the GTech game.
The growth we seen from him and the GDG was exponential.
I expect both of them to be much bette next year and consistent. I think we no doubt need a back up 5. Because injury will destroy you.
I'm not sure what fits there. But I'm thinking another Fede type search. A humble kid with something to prove and tangible physical attributes.
But an old big guy who just wants to be on a winning team would also make sense

I'm sure things will work out, but as I see it now our two best returning players play the 4. GDG can fake it as a small ball 5 for a few minutes a game but we saw the limitations of that today. Maybe if Hinson loses weight and improves his body he can play some 3 next year.. but I'm not betting on that.
We have five years of Capel and nothing has shown me he wants to play with multiple bigs. I see stuff on Twitter from Dokish about GDG at the 4 and I am like
a.) Hinson can't play the three.
b.) GDG isn't a four
c.) nothing in five years of Capel says he wants to play that way.

Our PFs through the years have been Toney, Champagnie, Mo and Hinson.

I just think next years front court is set if everybody returns. You have Fede and Hinson starting with the twins backing them up. As much as I like the twins I'm still hesitant they will be ready for 20+ minutes a game next year. Get a developmental big through the portal who can play the way you want.

Other than that the focus needs to be on the guard and wing positions. And Hinson sure isn't a wing.

Clearly Fede was hurt since the GTech game.
The growth we seen from him and the GDG was exponential.
I expect both of them to be much bette next year and consistent. I think we no doubt need a back up 5. Because injury will destroy you.
I'm not sure what fits there. But I'm thinking another Fede type search. A humble kid with something to prove and tangible physical attributes.
But an old big guy who just wants to be on a winning team would also make sense
Yeah, if they go after a big in the portal it will be for depth.
Temple fired their coach, so someone like Rasheer Fleming maybe? Freshman who can offensive rebound.
Somebody like that who would be okay coming off the bench.

We have five years of Capel and nothing has shown me he wants to play with multiple bigs. I see stuff on Twitter from Dokish about GDG at the 4 and I am like
a.) Hinson can't play the three.
b.) GDG isn't a four
c.) nothing in five years of Capel says he wants to play that way.

Our PFs through the years have been Toney, Champagnie, Mo and Hinson.

I just think next years front court is set if everybody returns. You have Fede and Hinson starting with the twins backing them up. As much as I like the twins I'm still hesitant they will be ready for 20+ minutes a game next year. Get a developmental big through the portal who can play the way you want.

Other than that the focus needs to be on the guard and wing positions. And Hinson sure isn't a wing.
Your first mistake is taking anything Chris Dokish says seriously.

Who is Dokish?
A pompous ass on Twitter that had connections to the staff during the early Dixon days to pump Antigua, then Herrion’s recruits, hasn’t had connections since because BK didn’t trust him or need him and has acted as THE authority on pitt hoops ever since. Don’t question the almighty Dokish, you will be blocked.

Basically every tweet he ever sends ends up being incorrect

A pompous ass on Twitter that had connections to the staff during the early Dixon days to pump Antigua, then Herrion’s recruits, hasn’t had connections since because BK didn’t trust him or need him and has acted as THE authority on pitt hoops ever since. Don’t question the almighty Dokish, you will be blocked.

Basically every tweet he ever sends ends up being incorrect
Glad I've avoided him

This years team was better than the sum of its parts because of the chemistry they had. They all bought into the team concept. Hopefully the guys they add have that same quality like. Nellie JB Greg and Nike exhibited
Looks like Capel is saying the same thing. I think he learned from some of the early years at Pitt where the opposite was the case. (The teams wasn’t close to being as good as rhe individual talent )

“I mean, look, we’ll look everywhere to find the right people. We want to get good players, but it’s really important going forward, especially after this year with these guys, to make sure we have the right people.”

A lot of talk in this thread
about needs inside. Yes,
a big with some bulk would
be great, but we NEED guards.
Specifically an experienced
pg and an outside shooter.
We're losing four older,
experienced guards who at
one time or another carried
us this year. Their intangibles
can't be overlooked, and
need to be replaced. GUARDS,
GUARDS, and GUARDS. I'm
talking guards with talent,
experience, and maturity.
Agree. But also need at least one strong experienced big to share the post with Fede. Despite his good stats lately, G Diaz-graham is still too skinny and weak to be an effective post against many P5 opponents. Maybe he will bulk up by 20 plus pounds in the off season and I will be proven wrong; but the DNA for that physical change might not be there. Need that other big for insurance.

Yeah the people thinking they’re gonna magically put on 25-30 lbs and all of a sudden play “big”, I have to believe that their weight program over the last 2 years (IMG and Pitt) has already put on a lot of good weight. They can probably only realistically add another 10 functional pounds to not drastically change their games.
Not so sure about your last sentence. It won't happen in one year, but they absolutely need to add 25-30 pounds no matter what type of game they want to play.

10 pounds isn't much, and I'm not sure you'd even see it.

PG - Dior
SG - Transfer
SF - Hinson (but guarding the 4)
PF - Javon Franklin from GT (please) guarding the 3
C - Fede

PG - Lowe
SG - Carrington/transfer
SF - Jeffress
PF - Jorge
C - Guillermo

Not so sure about your last sentence. It won't happen in one year, but they absolutely need to add 25-30 pounds no matter what type of game they want to play.

10 pounds isn't much, and I'm not sure you'd even see it.
Ok, all this talk about how many lbs the Diaz twins need to add. That and just watching the Zags-TCU game made me think…Drew Timme’s been around forever it seems but wasn’t it just last year the Zags had this tall rail thin one n done all world freshman? Can’t remember his name. Anybody know who I’m talking about and how’s he doing in the NBA? He obviously had/has more talent than the twins but frame-wise, he couldn’t have been much different than the twins.

Ok, all this talk about how many lbs the Diaz twins need to add. That and just watching the Zags-TCU game made me think…Drew Timme’s been around forever it seems but wasn’t it just last year the Zags had this tall rail thin one n done all world freshman? Can’t remember his name. Anybody know who I’m talking about and how’s he doing in the NBA? He obviously had/has more talent than the twins but frame-wise, he couldn’t have been much different than the twins.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
And holmgren put on a ton of weight and was still rail thin. He can’t put on much more. Guys like that aren’t built for be Arnold Schwarzenegger

And holmgren put on a ton of weight and was still rail thin. He can’t put on much more. Guys like that aren’t built for be Arnold Schwarzenegger
People are enamored with weight and looks. And that's all good. But strength can be added without either. You don't have to get bigger to get stronger. Sure it helps but it's not everything

People are enamored with weight and looks. And that's all good. But strength can be added without either. You don't have to get bigger to get stronger. Sure it helps but it's not everything
This is correct, strength and mass are two very different things.

So who is back, who is gone, who do you want in the portal?

Fede
Twins
Hinson
Those four must remain a core and I think they will given what they achieved this year.

Santos - Before the tourney I thought would return, now not so sure and think he can be recruited over, though am not opposed to a return.

Dior - does he really transfer after practicing and supporting this team, or does he already see himself taking the reigns?

Jeffress - with the success and practice time I think he returns for an initial off the bench defensive role and hopefully more improved game.
Then add the 3 incoming freshmen recruits and you have without anyone going to the portal or adding another incoming freshman:

B. Hinson
G. Diaz-Graham
J. Diaz-Graham
F. Federiko
D. Johnson
N. Santos
W. Jeffress
C. Carington
J. Lowe
M. Barnes
OPEN
OPEN
OPEN

Assuming no one leaves--what type players do you try to get from the portal to fill each of the three OPEM slots? I say team first players who are (1) an experienced pg. (2) a shooter like Elliot and (3) A muscle guy similar to Miami's Omir (Sp?).

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT