ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State Week

Sarge25

Freshman
Aug 18, 2017
Time to turn the page and move on.

Anybody catch their first 2 games?
How's their defense? What's their weakness? Can we run the ball on them?

I know Washington had a health issue, but it sounds like he's still kicking ass. Hope they take away the deep ball and make Ok St beat them with the dink and dunk. We don't have the offense this year to win a shootout like last year.

Time to turn the page and move on.

Anybody catch their first 2 games?
How's their defense? What's their weakness? Can we run the ball on them?

I know Washington had a health issue, but it sounds like he's still kicking ass. Hope they take away the deep ball and make Ok St beat them with the dink and dunk. We don't have the offense this year to win a shootout like last year.
Their offense is lights out. Must play a clean game, control time of possession, and score TD's in the Red Zone in order to have a chance to win.

Here's a chance to view bob games. Tulsa game is shortened to a little over one hour. Nobody has a no huddle version of the USA game up yet. Game only matters through the middle of the third quarter, when we pretty much pulled everyone. Same with Tulsa. Starters only played three quarters. Enjoy.

Their offense is lights out. Must play a clean game, control time of possession, and score TD's in the Red Zone in order to have a chance to win.

Pretty much agree. OK State has an exceptional passing attack with only limited use of the ground game used against two defensively weak opponents from what I saw having watched pieces of the two games. Neither opponent put any pressure to speak of on the OK State QB.

IMHO, Pitt is a much stronger overall opponent than either of OK State's first two opponents.

Defensively the key will be Pitt's ability to pressure the QB. Offensively it will be to effectively move the ball on the ground and eat clock. I don't believe either of OK State's first two opponents posed the offensive threat that Pitt will.

I think this will be a closer game than the PSU game--especially since it is in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I think their passing game will light Pitt up like a christmas tree. Watching the Steeler game, Cleveland had Peppers lined up 25 yards downfield before the snap. I wouldn't mind seeing Garnet lined up that far back taking away their bombs.

What are the strenghs/weaknesses of the OkSt D?

Pretty much agree. OK State has an exceptional passing attack with only limited use of the ground game used against two defensively weak opponents from what I saw having watched pieces of the two games. Neither opponent put any pressure to speak of on the OK State QB.

IMHO, Pitt is a much stronger overall opponent than either of OK State's first two opponents.

Defensively the key will be Pitt's ability to pressure the QB. Offensively it will be to effectively move the ball on the ground and eat clock. I don't believe either of OK State's first two opponents posed the offensive threat that Pitt will.

I think this will be a closer game than the PSU game--especially since it is in Pittsburgh.
Don't underestimate the University of Tulsa's offense. They were 10-3 last year in the American and had a top ten offense. This year, our first team defense only allowed them to score 10 points. Their other 14 came on special teams and against the reserves.

Saturday, TU put up 66 points against another Sun Belt opponent, Running back D'Angelo Brewer, who ran for 1,400 yards last season, was limited by the Cowboys to 33 yards rushing on 22 carries. Against Louisiana, he ran for 262 yards on 38 carries, for 3 TDs. Not apples to oranges, I know, but they're a far more lethal offense than Pitts (and I've seen all of both of your games).

Pitt only scored 21 points in regulation against FCS Youngstown State. Sagarin ranks Youngstown 88 in the nation and Tulsa is ranked 74th. Our offense put 52 points on Tulsa.

I watched some of the S. Alabama game. The offense looks really good. Never seen a team throw deep as much as they do. Rudolph throws such a nice deep ball. Not sure you can even blitz him because he'll still throw deep with that high arcing deep ball.

Gotta play a 4-2-5 or some type of nickel / dime package. Gotta keep a safety deep. If they trot base D out their OSU will put up 40+. They won't deviate, but I can hope...

I watched some of the S. Alabama game. The offense looks really good. Never seen a team throw deep as much as they do. Rudolph throws such a nice deep ball. Not sure you can even blitz him because he'll still throw deep with that high arcing deep ball.

Gotta play a 4-2-5 or some type of nickel / dime package. Gotta keep a safety deep. If they trot base D out their OSU will put up 40+. They won't deviate, but I can hope...
With Whitehead out, do you even have the horses to run your base D? It looked like you weren't bringing the pressure against PSU that you brought last year in Stillwater. Of course, they don't have the deep threats that we have. Do you even practice zone coverage?

Don't underestimate the University of Tulsa's offense. They were 10-3 last year in the American and had a top ten offense. This year, our first team defense only allowed them to score 10 points. Their other 14 came on special teams and against the reserves.

Saturday, TU put up 66 points against another Sun Belt opponent, Running back D'Angelo Brewer, who ran for 1,400 yards last season, was limited by the Cowboys to 33 yards rushing on 22 carries. Against Louisiana, he ran for 262 yards on 38 carries, for 3 TDs. Not apples to oranges, I know, but they're a far more lethal offense than Pitts (and I've seen all of both of your games).

Pitt only scored 21 points in regulation against FCS Youngstown State. Sagarin ranks Youngstown 88 in the nation and Tulsa is ranked 74th. Our offense put 52 points on Tulsa.

Youngstown game is irrelevant to any discussion since it was intentionally kept "vanilla" both offensively and defensively just like the Villanova game the year before.

Youngstown game is irrelevant to any discussion since it was intentionally kept "vanilla" both offensively and defensively just like the Villanova game the year before.
Trust me Oak State will score. I really think our D staff no what to do. It will come down to our 18 and 19 year old boys against there 21&22 year old men

Reactions: Flaeer
With Whitehead out, do you even have the horses to run your base D? It looked like you weren't bringing the pressure against PSU that you brought last year in Stillwater. Of course, they don't have the deep threats that we have. Do you even practice zone coverage?

They will likely run the cover 4 he teaches no matter what. It actually is a zone that looks/plays a lot like man, especially when the WRs are going deep.

last year we had a ton of "miscommunications" early. After we cleaned that up we did OK. I still think they gouge us with big plays and 30+ points just on the volume of bombs they throw but we'll also get some plays from our DB's which wasn't possible last year. How our O does against them is anyone's guess. I'm confident that they aren't better than PSU on D. We will run on them well enough to string 1st downs together but can we score? Can Weah, Clark and Co. actually catch the ball this week? That is the key IMO. Also, can Henderson be stuffed 2 weeks in a row?

I see Pitt having a let down after their super bowl loss. Take Oklahoma State and lay the 14 points. Lock of the week.

I see Pitt having a let down after their super bowl loss. Take Oklahoma State and lay the 14 points. Lock of the week.
highest attendance ever with the highest priced ticket in history of psu football. but this game means nothing for psu, only pitt..

Pitt doesn't play Clemson this year...and it was a win last year...Fakelin's point of reference.

PSU was far from the "Super Bowl". It was an OOC game against a good opponent that Duzz wanted to win to cram it down Jimmy One Finger's throat for his disrespect and general douchiness.

As your post exemplifies, that doesn't end at the HC, it extends into the fan base like a metastatic cancer. You're an a$$hole

I think its another time of possession game for Pitt, but I think that it might work this week (I hope!). I think that OSU will struggle with our power running game. Our secondary seems to be improved, but this week we will find out if that is true, and by how much. If we can keep the game close until the end, then we have given ourselves a chance to pull out the W.

I think its another time of possession game for Pitt, but I think that it might work this week (I hope!). I think that OSU will struggle with our power running game. Our secondary seems to be improved, but this week we will find out if that is true, and by how much. If we can keep the game close until the end, then we have given ourselves a chance to pull out the W.
psu's qb is not good. we face a good QB this week, I'm worried..

Laying lousy numbers like that will kill you in the long run. Could've had Okla St as low as 11 last night before it got steamed up.

Actually you could have bet Oklahoma St -4.5, sat at that number all summer at a couple places in Vegas.

Some factoids about Cowboy QB Mason Rudolph.

* A panel of ESPN Heisman experts voted Rudolph fifth in their mini ballot after one week of play, just behind fourth place S. Barkley.

* Mel Kiper, Jr. ranks Rudolph as the best Senior QB in next year's draft. (He also ranks Rudolph's favorite target James Washington as the best Senior WR).

* In his 30 starts at QB for the Pokes, Rudolph has led his squad to a record of 24 - 6 (80%).

* Last year Rudolph threw for 4,091 yards and 28 TDs with just 4 interceptions. (Lead the nation).

* This year Rudolph has thrown for 638 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs. In fact, Mason has now played six complete games, with more than 200 passing attempts, since he last threw an INT.

* Rudolph has put up his 2016 numbers, despite not taking a single snap in the fourth quarter of either of the Cowboys' games this season.

Last edited:
I'll never forget that he had something like 420 yards against us, 2 minutes into the second quarter last year and something like 5 TD's. After all that we still had the ball late with a chance to win the game and blew it.

Our radio team was literally laughing about the spectacle unfolding before them at one point. When we came storming back they got serious again. It was one of the greatest comebacks in our history and ended in perfect Pitt fashion.

I think every player on this team that was there last year has been waiting all year for this game.

I'll be interested to see some of the adjustments that OK State make on defense to slow down Q. Henderson this year. He had one of his best games running the football against OK State last year.

Maddox has to be ready for this game after an abysmal performance last year (though I'm sure there are more than a few CBs who fall into that category when trying to match up with Washington). I would imagine the quarters coverage Narduzzi likes to employ will be tailored to try and limit the effectiveness of Washington this year.

I'll be interested to see some of the adjustments that OK State make on defense to slow down Q. Henderson this year. He had one of his best games running the football against OK State last year.

Maddox has to be ready for this game after an abysmal performance last year (though I'm sure there are more than a few CBs who fall into that category when trying to match up with Washington). I would imagine the quarters coverage Narduzzi likes to employ will be tailored to try and limit the effectiveness of Washington this year.
I guess my question would be, how are you going to do that. Can you put a cloud over Washington, or even bracket him? Yes. Will that leave you even more vulnerable to the deep ball? Yes.

Here's part of your problem. The table below includes updated statistics on everyone on both rosters that are either a WR or a TE, and their career yardage:

PITT...................Catches........Yards.........TDs
Weah ...................43.............. 948 ..........11
Henderson ..........31 ..............299 ............1
Flanagan ............23 ..............199 .............3
Tipton .................12 ..............142............. 1
Araujo-Lopes .......8 ................83............. 0
Matthews .............8................ 69 ..............0
Sear .....................1................ 10............ 0
Gragg ...................1 ...............10 .............0
Total .................127............ 1760 ...........16

Oklahoma St .....Catches....... Yards .......TDs
Washington .........160 ...........3166 .........29
Ateman .................96 ............1436 ...........7
McClesky ...........107 ............1082 ..........10
Lacy ....................48 ...............723 ............5
T Johnson ..........14 ...............237 .............3
Stoner ................11 .................69 .............0
Wallace ...............1 ..................7 ..............0
Total .................437 ...........6720 .............54

Bleacher Report ranked OSU's WR corps the deepest and best in the nation for 2017.

So, you violate your Cover 4 concept and commit a safety to spy on Washington. You're now leaving two of the others listed above in man-to-man coverage, with one of your quarters coverage zones left empty or keeping too much of an eye on Washington. Rudolph pump fakes to Washington, the safety bites and he drops a bomb on Lacy or Ateman.

If you're successful in covering everyone, Rudolph checks down to McClesky in the slot, or 2016 Freshman All American RB, Justice Hill, who only saw limited action against you guys last season, because we didn't yet know what we had.

Finally, to add insult to injury, OSU runs two plays with the starters (Lacy, Washington and McClesky), then subs them out like a hockey line for Ateman, Johnson and Stoner. Maddox is now gassed from covering Washington on two deep routes.

Question: Do you leave winded Maddox in to cover five-star LSU Transfer Johnson, or do you sub him out for your second team CB?

That is your DC's dilemma.

BTW...if you don't recognize Ateman or Johnson's names, it's because they didn't play in last year's game in Stillwater. Ateman was injured and Johnson was fulfilling his year sitting out due to his transfer. Here's a link to his high school recruiting page.

Last edited:
I guess my question would be, how are you going to do that. Can you put a cloud over Washington, or even bracket him? Yes. Will that leave you even more vulnerable to the deep ball? Yes.

Here's part of your problem. The table below includes updated statistics on everyone on both rosters that are either a WR or a TE, and their career yardage:

Bleacher Report ranked OSU's WR corps the deepest and best in the nation for 2017.

So, you violate your Cover 4 concept and commit a safety to spy on Washington. You're now leaving two of the others listed above in man-to-man coverage, with one of your quarters coverage zones left empty or keeping too much of an eye on Washington. Rudolph pump fakes to Washington, the safety bites and he drops a bomb on Lacy or Ateman.

If you're successful in covering everyone, Rudolph checks down to McClesky in the slot, or 2016 Freshman All American RB, Justice Hill, who only saw limited action against you guys last season, because we didn't yet know what we had.

Finally, to add insult to injury, OSU runs two plays with the starters (Lacy, Washington and McClesky), then subs them out like a hockey line for Ateman, Johnson and Stoner. Maddox is now gassed from covering Washington on two deep routes.

Question: Do you leave winded Maddox in to cover five-star LSU Transfer Johnson, or do you sub him out for your second team CB?

BTW...if you don't recognize Ateman or Johnson's names, it's because they didn't play in last year's game in Stillwater. Ateman was injured and Johnson was fulfilling his year sitting out due to his transfer. Here's a link to his high school recruiting page.
After reading your analysis, Pitt should just give up and forfeit the game.

After reading your analysis, Pitt should just give up and forfeit the game.
That's the kind of remark that someone makes when they don't like an argument that's been made, but lack a counter argument.

Of course the game should be played. I'm merely pointing out that our offense is better than it was last year (and deeper at WR) and you're going to have to counter this strategy, which is, as the news article below points out, what OSU is going to do on Saturday, because it's our best weapon.

Don't believe me? Read this article from the Daily Oklahoman.

Long way to say, we're going to get our points despite what you do on defense. Your chance to win comes on matching our productivity through your offense. You need to run the ball and sustain drives that yield touchdowns and not FGs.

Given that you've yet to put up more than 21 points in regulation, and given that the Cowboys have never scored fewer than 20 points with Rudolph behind center, you've got your work cut out for you.

Last year you needed a three TO advantage to stay close. Last year you needed nearly 300 yards of rushing to stay close. Last year you needed a 15:30 advantage in time of possession to stay close. Last year you needed a bomb to Dexter Weah to stay close. Last year, you needed our starting RB (who is now with the Seattle Seahawks) to be injured, to stay close.

Do all that again, plus home field, and I expect this game to be close.

Otherwise? You tell me.

That's the kind of remark that someone makes when they don't like an argument that's been made, but lack a counter argument.

Of course the game should be played. I'm merely pointing out that our offense is better than it was last year (and deeper at WR) and you're going to have to counter this strategy, which is, as the news article below points out, what OSU is going to do on Saturday, because it's our best weapon.

Long way to say, we're going to get our points despite what you do on defense. Your chance to win comes on matching our productivity through you offense. You need run the ball and sustain drives that yield touchdowns and not FGs.

Given that you've yet to put up more than 21 points in regulation, and given that the Cowboys have never scored fewer than 20 points with Rudolph behind center, you've got your work cut out for you.

Last year you needed a three TO advantage to stay close. Last year you needed nearly 300 yards of rushing to stay close. Last year you needed a 15:30 advantage in time of possession to stay close. Last year you needed a bomb to Dexter Weah to stay close. Last year, you needed our starting RB (who is now with the Seattle Seahawks) to be injured, to stay close.

Otherwise? You tell me.

We have seen your team play and know the point spread...no need to go out of your way to persuade why OSU should win. We shall see on Saturday at Heinz Field. Should be much cooler than last year. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: LakeCowboy

Long way to say, we're going to get our points despite what you do on defense. Your chance to win comes on matching our productivity through your offense. You need to run the ball and sustain drives that yield touchdowns and not FGs.

Otherwise? You tell me.
Yes - Okie St should win big.

What about this? Last year you needed 550 yards passing to barely win.

Our DB's were abysmal against everyone last year, not just you. This year they are much better. If we just make one more play last year, we win. I don't think anyone sees us keeping you under 30 points and 300 yards passing. What we're saying is that we think we can still make just enough plays to overcome it. We've done it before.

Reactions: PITTLAW

Otherwise? You tell me.
Pitt has been involved in enough crazy games over the years with weird stats from both sides that I never really like this whole argument.

Also, lol at Dexter, not sure if that's even any better than his actual name (Jester).

Really, most of us think Pitt will lose. But you never know.

Otherwise? You tell me.
I like your arguement and you are correct, I don't have a counter argument.

Good Points.

You're making the assumption that PITT only has two CBs and 2 Safeties who can play in this game. Even though Whitehead is out due to suspension (possibly PITT's best player in the secondary), it's possible Damar Hamlin and Coleman will be made availability this week. Both players are incredibly gifted athletically, and much taller than the dimunitive Maddox who had a hard time last year. If OSU is going to subsitute WRs, PITT will not make the same mistake they made last year of not doing the same.

Although young and inexperienced, PITT has some talented guys playing in the secondary this year who should not allow the WRs to get behind them for easy TDs. Players like Webb and Lewis were extremely painful to watch last year against the OSU athletes.

In addition to having more athletes on the field, PITT did a great job of rushing 3-4 and dropping 7-8 guys in coverage against PSU last week. Mason Rudolph is not near the threat to run the ball like Mcsorely was last week, so I expect the same sort of defense will be employed to force WRs off of their routes, especially through the middle of the field; the check-down that you mentioned will likely be a little more difficult with 3 LBs dropping into coverage. If PITT can get a little bit of pressure through the middle on Rudolph, he lacks the mobility to get outside and avoid taking the sack. If you watch the

The biggest factor in this game, which is what PITT employed this past weekend, is time of possession. PITT has a stable of big RBs (and possibly a fullback coming back this week) who will punish the OSU DL behind a PITT OL which looked solid against a very experienced PSU DL last week.

I don't think Pitt will have success running the power game against us. Our dline looks much better than expected and has been outright dominant thus far. We shall see.

I don't think Pitt will have success running the power game against us. Our dline looks much better than expected and has been outright dominant thus far. We shall see.

Nice opinion, but I'll take the PSU DL over what OSU has shown up until this point in the season (as painful as it is to say). They have a few potential all-americans along the line, with a safety (Allen) who is an absolute monster against the run.

Nice opinion, but I'll take the PSU DL over what OSU has shown up until this point in the season (as painful as it is to say). They have a few potential all-americans along the line, with a safety (Allen) who is an absolute monster against the run.

I'm not sure that they have a better dline than we do. All our starters our upperclassmen and both are DTs are playing like future Sunday guys. Our DEs are strong against the run but average pass rushers. Our MLBer will likely be first-team All Big-12 and our SLBer is a beast.

We played Tulsa in our first game. They had 8 300+ rushing games last year and returned 4 olinemen and a 1000-yard rusher. We held them to 99 yards rushing on 30 carries and at least half of those yards were scrambles by their athletic QB on passing plays. Last week they rushed for 424 yards.

Last week against South Alabama we held them to 41 yards rushing on 27 carries for 1.5 ypc. The week before against Ole Miss they rushed for close to 200 yards on almost 5 ypc.

I think you haven't watched our dline this year. They have been downright dominant against the run.

Some factoids about Cowboy QB Mason Rudolph.

* A panel of ESPN Heisman experts voted Rudolph fifth in their mini ballot after one week of play, just behind fourth place S. Barkley.

* Mel Kiper, Jr. ranks Rudolph as the best Senior QB in next year's draft. (He also ranks Rudolph's favorite target James Washington as the best Senior WR).

* In his 30 starts at QB for the Pokes, Rudolph has led his squad to a record of 24 - 6 (80%).

* Last year Rudolph threw for 4,091 yards and 28 TDs with just 4 interceptions. (Lead the nation).

* This year Rudolph has thrown for 638 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs. In fact, Mason has now played six complete games, with more than 200 passing attempts, since he last threw an INT.

* Rudolph has put up his 2016 numbers, despite not taking a single snap in the fourth quarter of either of the Cowboys' games this season.
Rudolph is really really good. you don't have to convince us, we know. regarding osu fans, they don't seem to lack confidence in their team, i'll give them that.

I'm not sure that they have a better dline than we do. All our starters our upperclassmen and both are DTs are playing like future Sunday guys. Our DEs are strong against the run but average pass rushers. Our MLBer will likely be first-team All Big-12 and our SLBer is a beast.

We played Tulsa in our first game. They had 8 300+ rushing games last year and returned 4 olinemen and a 1000-yard rusher. We held them to 99 yards rushing on 30 carries and at least half of those yards were scrambles by their athletic QB on passing plays. Last week they rushed for 424 yards.

Last week against South Alabama we held them to 41 yards rushing on 27 carries for 1.5 ypc. The week before against Ole Miss they rushed for close to 200 yards on almost 5 ypc.

I think you haven't watched our dline this year. They have been downright dominant against the run.

You played two tomato cans who don't share many similarities to Pitt in the running game. Nobody thinks defense when they think of OSU. Don't take that the wrong way.

I think Pitt fans are more concerned with the offense playing like they can/should and eliminating mistakes (INTs, drops, penalties), than they are worried about OSU's defense.

On the other side of the ball, your offense is lights out and very concerning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT