ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It's Masters Week!

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Yes, as cynical and sarcastic (acerbic?) as I can be, I admit, I love the hokieness of the Masters. It is one of my favorite sporting events. The stupid music immediately gets my attention. And with it snowing on Thursday and Friday here....it will be even more relaxing to watch. So....who ya got?

The favorite is the best golfer in the world and it is not close right now. Dustin Johnson. Just has it all.

I like this group to challenge. I think Jordan Speith rises up. Rory McIroy's game is rounding into form and.........this guy will be a star, young Spanish sensation, Jon Rahm. Who has DJ's game.

Also...the sentimental favorite, Phil Mickelson has played real well so far this year, and with 3 green jackets he obviously loves Augusta. If he is putting well, he will be there on Sunday challenging.

This year's Danny Willet? Could be Belgian Thomas Pieters (who has DJ's game) or Tyrell Hatton.

Who ya got?

Spring is officially here, now about this snow we are supposed to get on friday.

Spieth. For a truly talented young player that has won major championships he has something to prove at the masters because of last years debacle.

Also curious to see how Willett does as defending champ. We don't see too much of him because he is in the Euro tour. Is he destined for a long and high level career or is he Trevor Immelman

I'm a huge Phil fan. Have yet to find my next generation guy to latch on to. Watson seems like a cool guy that for some reason gets a bad rap. Rory is too marketed already and fowler refuses to bend the bill on his hats, eliminating him off my list.

We wish we were young enough to straighten the bill on our cap! I gotta go with Day or Johnson in the masters.
for some reason, years ago I just thought this fowler kid was a punk but he actually seems like a really cool guy. Him, bubba Watson and a couple other golfers do these really weird but funny youtube music clips, completely making fun of themselves. I got to get over this "straight" bill thing..

I started liking Phil back in real early 90's, saw him on one of these smaller tourneys, thought it was cool a college kid who golfed lefty was in the lead. he ended up winning it and declined the money to keep the purse to keep his amateur status. Thought that was awesome.. of course in reality, it was a no brainer, he wanted to go back for another year at asu and dude came from wealthy family and was far from needing the cash. regardless, that's why I started rooting for him..

Last edited:
I think DJ has the best odds since Tiger back in 2005 (coincidentally the last time the #1 player won the masters), so you have to like his chances.

Other guys I'm interested in, from a value side:
Rahm (25 to 1): never played the Masters, but how can you not put a little $$$ on this guy at this point?
Rose (25): Very strong Masters career, playing well this year
Leishman (50) - Top 30's in 9 of 10 tourneys this year, with a win at the Arnold Palmer - wind player and it's going to be windy Thurs/Fri
Henley (66) - Last week's winner, strong putter
Berger (75) - Good season and another good putter
Noren (80) - Never played here, but he's #10 in the world and went toe to toe with DJ in the match play...
C. Hoffman (125) - Top 30 finishes every time he's played, including a top 10 in '15

Hatton and Pieters are trendy guys I like as well. Sned and Haas too.

From the Cheap Seats; Just my opinion, I think it will be a long knocker this year. There are 8 to 10 players that come to mind. Most have been mentioned, but don't forget Watson and maybe Thomas.

The Sunday at the masters. Back nine is one of the best sports days of all time. Even the wife watches it with me. We usually root for rain and cool temps in Pittsburgh that day so we don't feel too guilty about 4 hours in front of the flat screen.

Yes, as cynical and sarcastic (acerbic?) as I can be, I admit, I love the hokieness of the Masters. It is one of my favorite sporting events. The stupid music immediately gets my attention. And with it snowing on Thursday and Friday here....it will be even more relaxing to watch. So....who ya got?

The favorite is the best golfer in the world and it is not close right now. Dustin Johnson. Just has it all.

I like this group to challenge. I think Jordan Speith rises up. Rory McIroy's game is rounding into form and.........this guy will be a star, young Spanish sensation, Jon Rahm. Who has DJ's game.

Also...the sentimental favorite, Phil Mickelson has played real well so far this year, and with 3 green jackets he obviously loves Augusta. If he is putting well, he will be there on Sunday challenging.

This year's Danny Willet? Could be Belgian Thomas Pieters (who has DJ's game) or Tyrell Hatton.

Who ya got?

I was there for the Monday practice round and sadly we were forced to evacuate the course around noon due to heavy rains and a tornado warning. People with today's tickets for the Par 3 tournament are almost certain not to get in a full day as well.

Doesn't look like much rain in the forecast, but high winds and cold temperatures are expected Thursday and Friday, hopefully it won't affect the outcome. I ended up taking a shot at Matsuyama at 22-1.

Our favorite tourney of the year and we watch them all!
Wife and I never rout for any foreign golfer ever!
Love to see Bubba get back on track, or Patrick Reed, DJ, Ricky, Justin Thomas or Jordan win.
Maybe Brooks Koepka, JB Holmes, Kuchar, Kevin Na, Finau or Henley gets hot? Snedeker could sneak in Augusta is a perfect gold course for him.
Lots of great golfers!
Phil, Stricker, Furik, Love need to start working on heading to the senior tour and stop taking up space on the practice range. Can't wait until they're all eligible and move on.
Hopefully no Tiger ever again! He should stick to playing around with all the other golfers wives who live in Jupiter FL when the hubby's are out on the tour!

Last edited:

Who ya got?
Unfortunately, I'll miss most of it as we're traveling....AZ & CA. The Masters is great, and it's how I came to hate Jim Nance. Hey, Jim, it's not a funeral Mass for the Pope. I think CBS should let Charles, Sam & Spike do the tournament this year.
My pick?? Adam Scott over Leishman in a Sunday pairing that ends an hour before the 54-hole leaders finish 5 strokes back. Can you imagine how many times we'll here Nance intone: "A tradition like no other." Sssshhhhh.

Jim Nance is a very good announcer but at this golf event he is a lap dog for masters leadership. Never want to piss off thise guys.

I would love to hear Nance uncork a politically incorrect statement and see if the green jacket secret society would try and force him out. Probably not ever going to happen. Maybe Nance should be applauded for never screwing up during a telecast.

The Sunday at the masters. Back nine is one of the best sports days of all time. Even the wife watches it with me. We usually root for rain and cool temps in Pittsburgh that day so we don't feel too guilty about 4 hours in front of the flat screen.
High 70, low 50, sunny with low chance of rain. don't feel guilty, its sunday. Even God took a day off..

Jim Nance is a very good announcer but at this golf event he is a lap dog for masters leadership. Never want to piss off thise guys.

I would love to hear Nance uncork a politically incorrect statement and see if the green jacket secret society would try and force him out. Probably not ever going to happen. Maybe Nance should be applauded for never screwing up during a telecast.
why? What do you want him to say? It's golf, you want him to bring up irrelevant, controversial topics during a golf event? how about a tiny break from politics for a second, no debates about race or drag queens in bathrooms or the rest of it. lots of other channels to get your fix, leave it out of the masters..

Spieth. For a truly talented young player that has won major championships he has something to prove at the masters because of last years debacle.

Also curious to see how Willett does as defending champ. We don't see too much of him because he is in the Euro tour. Is he destined for a long and high level career or is he Trevor Immelman

Willet has been struggling mightily. And the Euro tour is frequently on the golf channel.

The announcers actually have to be on their best behavior for the Masters. They're forced to use the word "patrons" and I'm sure there are other directives.

Gary McCord said years ago it was like the greens were bikini waxed and he hasn't been part of the broadcast since.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
Willet has been struggling mightily. And the Euro tour is frequently on the golf channel.
Good! Control your out of control brother if you want to be comfortable making a living golfing in the US. Willet has skipped some tournaments like the Phoneix Open.
He'll end up like Sergio Garcia if he's not careful. Sergio gets heckled everytime he plays in the US. It bothers him and he doesn't do well but that's what a "big mouth" gets you!
Good luck, Danny: Willett's brother rips Americans big-time before Ryder Cup
P.J. Willett said some pretty incendiary things about the United States this week before the Ryder Cup

Willet was likely a guy who got hot at the right time. Golf has lots of one hit wonders who fell off almost never to be heard from again.

And while Sergio has never won a major probably 90% of golfers would cut off a nut to have the career he's had. He's been prickly for sure but to say he hasn't done well is utter nonsense. He's underachieved relative to his talent level but he's had a very good career. And for the record I'm no fan of his.

And I'm not sure one can control their brother. Of course his brother said some dumb stuff but Danny isn't accountable for that.

Who ya got?
I'll take Oakmont....went right from the gallery at #2 to a fish sammich at Sheetz's 50 yards away, dropped a deuce in relative comfort and got right back to the course..."a tradition, unlike any other"

Reactions: paulbl99
I'll take Oakmont....went right from the gallery at #2 to a fish sammich at Sheetz's 50 yards away, dropped a deuce in relative comfort and got right back to the course..."a tradition, unlike any other"

Nowhere is the food and beer cheaper than at the Masters. Google "Masters concessions" and you will be amazed.

The bathroom situation is legendary as well. They run it like an assembly line with multiple workers directing you to the stalls and wiping the seat down for you.

Reactions: PITTDC
Nowhere is the food and beer cheaper than at the Masters. Google "Masters concessions" and you will be amazed.

The bathroom situation is legendary as well. They run it like an assembly line with multiple workers directing you to the stalls and wiping the seat down for you.
wow, I did. That is amazing. You can't eat that cheap at a high school football game. Good deal. I did mention myself going to Sheetz, my 18 year old Little Lord Fauntleroy on the other hand would have nothing less than the 18 dollar chipped steak sandwich with a 5 dollar bottle of water chaser from the Ruth Chris concession.

I thought this was sarcasm. wow, that is ridiculous. this is youth rec league concession stand prices..

Who ya got?
I'm going with three guys who hit the ball straight because the first two days are windy.

1 Matin Kaymer
2 Jason Duffner
3 Ricky Fowler

Who ya got?
funny thing about how times change etc. I remember watching Jack Nicklaus win his last Masters. He was 46 and like this ancient relic rising from the ashes to pull off this improbable and miraculous feat. Now, if Mickleson (46) wins it would not be that big of a surprise at all. Since my favorite athlete in all sports Miguel Ángel Jiménez Rodríguez is not in the field this year, I really have no rooting interest.

Willet was likely a guy who got hot at the right time. Golf has lots of one hit wonders who fell off almost never to be heard from again.

And while Sergio has never won a major probably 90% of golfers would cut off a nut to have the career he's had. He's been prickly for sure but to say he hasn't done well is utter nonsense. He's underachieved relative to his talent level but he's had a very good career. And for the record I'm no fan of his.

And I'm not sure one can control their brother. Of course his brother said some dumb stuff but Danny isn't accountable for that.
Yes and no! Lots of people were angry with him after the brothers comments because he did nothing to counter him until he was challenged in the press the next week.
So we'll see how the US fans react to him.
Sergio still has problems with US fans after the Tiger Masters Chicken dinner comments many years ago. Actually Sergio had lots of issues with fans the last tourney he played in the US.

Yes and no! Lots of people were angry with him after the brothers comments because he did nothing to counter him until he was challenged in the press the next week.
So we'll see how the US fans react to him.
Sergio still has problems with US fans after the Tiger Masters Chicken dinner comments many years ago. Actually Sergio had lots of issues with fans the last tourney he played in the US.

Yea I wasn't disputing Sergio having problems with the fans. He actually deserves some of it. Often though some fans go too far.

As for as Willet it seemed to me he wasn't at all happy about what his brother did. He did make a mistake by not addressing it sooner. I have no issue with him but I suspect 10 years from now only hard core fans like me will even recognize his name.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
DJ falls down stairs in rental house, now questionable to play tomorrow

wow, I did. That is amazing. You can't eat that cheap at a high school football game. Good deal. I did mention myself going to Sheetz, my 18 year old Little Lord Fauntleroy on the other hand would have nothing less than the 18 dollar chipped steak sandwich with a 5 dollar bottle of water chaser from the Ruth Chris concession.
This made me laugh out loud. Hilarious.

I'm liking Jason Day. His Mom's health issues have been resolved so I think he'll be back on track. And of course I'm a huge fan of Adam Scott.

I'm liking Jason Day. His Mom's health issues have been resolved so I think he'll be back on track. And of course I'm a huge fan of Adam Scott.
No chance that you support a US golfer???
You're one of the America hating snowflakes lots of you on here!

No chance that you support a US golfer???
You're one of the America hating snowflakes lots of you on here!
I'm the opposite, I have a hard time rooting for non Americans. They got to have a great personality to overcome that. Irish guys I can root for.

England, Canada or anything south of Texas, I will bleed sweat and cry rooting for that golfers failure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT