ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Justin Fields

The straw man was acting like I was defending Fields by disparaging Pickett.

But I think I'm done. When Fk, JoeyDavid, Kenny4Heisman, PittPharm, SMF, and maybe like a handful of other people (I think 30 was too high) insist that Kenny was a good NFL quarterback - or would have been with a different franchise, blah blah - I'm just going to smile and let it roll off my shoulders from now on. I should be more receptive to the fact that it's a sensitive subject for guys who root for the college he attended.
Again strawman. Please share where I said he was a good NFL quarterback. I’ve consistently said that he is an NFL quarterback and to what degree can’t be definitively known until we see him outside of Canada for only one game.

Reactions: pittbb80
Again strawman. Please share where I said he was a good NFL quarterback. I’ve consistently said that he is an NFL quarterback and to what degree can’t be definitively known until we see him outside of Canada for only one game.

Well, we did. And people insisted he played great, but we still only had 16 points against a bad defense. And then Mason dropped 34 on that same defense four weeks later.

You’re making crap up. I’m not even insisting he is good. I’m saying that he is being unfairly scapegoated and that especially from a passing perspective fields is no better.
You’ve been consistent on this and he’s ignoring it.

You’ve been consistent on this and he’s ignoring it.

Because it's a concession you guys keep tossing in sporadically to try and breathe some credibility into your defense of him. When you're there to defend him at every turn, there is a common law marriage element to you saying he's a good NFL QB whether you outright declare it or not. You guys dissect every single nuance as to what might have made him a more successful QB and then throw in a, "Look, maybe I'm wrong and he'd still not be all that great even if all dozen of these things had gone differently." It's missing the forest for the trees to throw in that caveat.

Regardless, you guys can have the W on this. I simply can't talk about Kenny Pickett anymore. Nothing against any poster; it's just ran its course with my mental bandwidth.

Well, we did. And people insisted he played great, but we still only had 16 points against a bad defense. And then Mason dropped 34 on that same defense four weeks later.
Don’t do this. You’re starting to use Souf-like tactics in order to craft an argument. There were a handful of good QBs who put up similar points to Kenny vs Cincy and some of them even lost. It’s the NFL, and even the Cincy defense of 2023 can be formidable in a given game. Oh, and context matters. Dude was like 28-42 for 400 yards without Canada before he got hurt. Anyone with an eye could see a major difference in Kenny after Canada was dismissed. You choose not to. That’s fine.

Don’t do this. You’re starting to use Souf-like tactics in order to craft an argument. There were a handful of good QBs who put up similar points to Kenny vs Cincy and some of them even lost. It’s the NFL, and even the Cincy defense of 2023 can be formidable in a given game. Oh, and context matters. Dude was like 28-42 for 400 yards without Canada before he got hurt. Anyone with an eye could see a major difference in Kenny after Canada was dismissed. You choose not to. That’s fine.

So context matters except when Pickett lights it up (kind of; there weren't many points scored) against the team that was 31st in points allowed (Arizona) and 31st in yards allowed (Cincy) :)

I respect the dedication. Like I said, I lost this debate.

Because it's a concession you guys keep tossing in sporadically to try and breathe some credibility into your defense of him. When you're there to defend him at every turn, there is a common law marriage element to you saying he's a good NFL QB whether you outright declare it or not. You guys dissect every single nuance as to what might have made him a more successful QB and then throw in a, "Look, maybe I'm wrong and he'd still not be all that great even if all dozen of these things had gone differently." It's missing the forest for the trees to throw in that caveat.

Regardless, you guys can have the W on this. I simply can't talk about Kenny Pickett anymore. Nothing against any poster; it's just ran its course with my mental bandwidth.
I’m not looking for a W because I don’t have an opinion on him. But again, if you’re a young inexperienced sales rep representing a bad product under bad leadership who are bad at training, development, etc…, do you want to be labeled a bad sales rep for the rest of your life? And I would understand if you’d have a hard time getting someone else to invest in you. That’s his situation. He might be out of the league in two years for all I know, and I’d understand it if he was.

I’m not looking for a W because I don’t have an opinion on him. But again, if you’re a young inexperienced sales rep representing a bad product under bad leadership who are bad at training, development, etc…, do you want to be labeled a bad sales rep for the rest of your life? And I would understand if you’d have a hard time getting someone else to invest in you. That’s his situation. He might be out of the league in two years for all I know, and I’d understand it if he was.

Nate Peterman is in the league (I think) and so was Ben DiNucci this season. I'm sure Pickett will be fine. There is zero shame in being an NFL backup, and the younger ones with starting experience almost always get a chance to do it again.

I agree he wasn't brought into ideal circumstances. Such is life in the NFL, though; there's a reason those teams are picking a QB in the first round, usually. I'm sure Bryce Young's circumstances absolutely sucked. So did Fields' in Chicago, etc. You either thrive in spite of it or you hope you get another chance.

So context matters except when Pickett lights it up (kind of; there weren't many points scored) against the team that was 31st in points allowed (Arizona) and 31st in yards allowed (Cincy) :)

I respect the dedication. Like I said, I lost this debate.
No. I simply said we have never seen Kenny outside of Canada outside of one game, nothing more, and you took it as some kind of broad declaration on my part for that one game and you had to tear down the performance. You think people are obsessed but yet you are obsessed yourself.

Nate Peterman is in the league (I think) and so was Ben DiNucci this season. I'm sure Pickett will be fine. There is zero shame in being an NFL backup, and the younger ones with starting experience almost always get a chance to do it again.

I agree he wasn't brought into ideal circumstances. Such is life in the NFL, though; there's a reason those teams are picking a QB in the first round, usually. I'm sure Bryce Young's circumstances absolutely sucked. So did Fields' in Chicago, etc. You either thrive in spite of it or you hope you get another chance.
Yeah chances are he will earn a paycheck and have a long unremarkable career. But I think he can be a jerk and who knows could wear out his welcome because he can’t come to grips with his role. I’m sure Nate and Ben have hung on because they know their role.

Yeah chances are he will earn a paycheck and have a long unremarkable career. But I think he can be a jerk and who knows could wear out his welcome because he can’t come to grips with his role. I’m sure Nate and Ben have hung on because they know their role.

I don't know. DiNucci did not strike me as the type who was content being a backup at Pitt, but I'm sure it's a little different in the NFL with that amount of money at stake. I'm sure Kenny will learn to adjust, if he hasn't already, when the choices are between a huge paycheck and a real job.

First, I don't think Fields is very good overall. So stop comparing one bum to another in order to try and advance an agenda. If it was up to me, the Steelers quarterback of the future would be neither of them.

Second, we are scoring more ppg this season and Fields grades out better. Not a good look for the other bum.

Third, we have had three OL on IR, and that number might soon be growing. We also have the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Dionate Johnson is probably going to have a 1,000-yard season (not spectacular, but sothen.

Fourth, Ben did better under Canada. And so did Mason Rudolph. So spare me the excuses. Pickett was bad, and as I said, there are quite literally 30 people left in the universe who think otherwise - all on this board. Maybe he fools some of you because he only makes ridiculously safe passes and takes minimal shots downfield. But I have a feeling the college he attended is the real reason you don't want to see it.

Again, this league is absolutely starved for QB talent. They'll take dudes who were bagging groceries last week, dudes who were playing in the XFL last month, and 40-year-old dudes with silver hair names Joe. Yet, no one wanted him as a starter.

Here are Tim Tebow's 4th quarter comebacks in 2011. Six of them. What a winner that guy must have been.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=TeboTi00
Lots of words to say -
Yes - we can’t win games if the opponent scores 20 or more points because the offense is still bad .

It is still bad. Not denying that at all.
So how can you say we are better -
When literally the two losses were because defense didn’t hold the opponent below 20?
This was the only game we scored over 20 this season , because the raiders are hot garbage, snd bailed out the offensive with penalties

Fields again threw for less than 150 yards .

ijust changed my mind again, no way you can go with wilson right now and pull Fields. stick with Justin Fields until a terrible loss or an injury.

And yes, im aware that im having a conversation with myself..

ok, sorry to interrupt, now go back to talking about kenny f'in pickett while we all try to cut our wrists with a dull knife over having to listen to this endless regurgitated debate..

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
So how can you say we are better -
When literally the two losses were because defense didn’t hold the opponent below 20?
This was the only game we scored over 20 this season , because the raiders are hot garbage, snd bailed out the offensive with penalties

Fields again threw for less than 150 yards .
I don’t know why you can’t acknowledge that what he does with his feet is just as significant? He turned so many negative plays into significant positives just with his feet. throwing for less than 150 on Sunday is irrelevant and cherry picking.

The biggest question for me is why can’t this team score points in the first half of games for the past few years but then have more success in the 2nd half?

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
This is the most insane post I have ever read on this board. First of all, Kenny Pickett was 7-5 as a starter last season and 14-11 overall. The 7-3 thing was invented by rationalizing Pitt fans who figured out his record was slightly better in games he started and finished.

But are we really suggesting that playing from ahead or winning games comfortably is someone less impressive than sucking for 3.5 quarters and scoring at the end? For one, Fields did come back against the Colts/Cowboys; the defense just blew it.

And Kenny Pickett seldom won games. Was needing defensive touchdowns against the Browns Pickett winning a game? Was the Ravens dropping 10 passes and Pickett throwing one good pass all day him winning a game? The defense won games, not Pickett. If the opponent had more than 20 points, the game was usually already on ice. He lost to freaking DTR, for crying our loud. He was not good. He went on a streak of coming out on top of some rock fights against a string of awful starting QBs in 2022. And last year, you could count the impressive QUARTERS - not games - he played on one hand. He was constantly being bailed out by the defense.
I mean, that's all generally true of this year as well. They got Cousins coming off an injury (that game might be different today), overdrafted Bo Nix in his 2nd start (he's playing a little better now), Justin Herbert/Easton Stick, 39 year old Joe Flacco (loss), Dak's worst season of his career (loss), and Gardiner Minshew/Aidan O'Connell.

The upcoming schedule is where it gets more interesting. Pre-season, the Giants and Commanders looked like easy wins but those will be more difficult games. The Bengals have seemed to drop a lot of winnable games but I think they can probably beat anyone in any given week. The Jets took the Bills to the wire and I think Rodgers is probably pissed and maybe due for a huge week. They never win at Philly. Chiefs and Baltimore will be extremely tough. The Browns are a freaking mess and we probably beat them but if they switch to Jameis they could be a whole different team.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the merits of either last year's QB or this year's QB. But as far as strength of schedule goes, I still think it's pretty clear that Kenny's 4 playoff teams in 5 weeks was much harder than this year's murderer's row of .500 clubs with bottom half QB play.

I mean, that's all generally true of this year as well. They got Cousins coming off an injury (that game might be different today), overdrafted Bo Nix in his 2nd start (he's playing a little better now), Justin Herbert/Easton Stick, 39 year old Joe Flacco (loss), Dak's worst season of his career (loss), and Gardiner Minshew/Aidan O'Connell.

The upcoming schedule is where it gets more interesting. Pre-season, the Giants and Commanders looked like easy wins but those will be more difficult games. The Bengals have seemed to drop a lot of winnable games but I think they can probably beat anyone in any given week. The Jets took the Bills to the wire and I think Rodgers is probably pissed and maybe due for a huge week. They never win at Philly. Chiefs and Baltimore will be extremely tough. The Browns are a freaking mess and we probably beat them but if they switch to Jameis they could be a whole different team.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the merits of either last year's QB or this year's QB. But as far as strength of schedule goes, I still think it's pretty clear that Kenny's 4 playoff teams in 5 weeks was much harder than this year's murderer's row of .500 clubs with bottom half QB play.
Excellent point. I was just going to say the same thing. This schedule was a bit softer so far.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Also... Diontae Johnson, while certainly not on the shortlist for the NFL's best receiver, has three games this season of at least six receptions, at least 78 yards, and a touchdown. He is on pace for 82 catches for 963 yards, but his first two games with Young were awful so he very well may eclipse that.

So it's silly to act like getting rid of him was somehow a net positive for Fields.
Diontae is a compiler. Terrible efficiency once again (6.2 yards per target is 77th in the NFL and he's 45th in yards per route run). But he gets a lot of volume because Dalton is throwing it almost 40 times per game and almost always in negative game script. Plus his only competition is a bunch of rookies and washed veterans like Adam Thielen and Jonathan Mingo. Can't just look at the box scores and say that Diontae is good. He's like a smaller and less explosive version of that year DJ Chark had when the Jaguars lost every game and Bortles was just chucking it with abandon down 10+ on every throw.

On top of that, he's not a great teammate and wasn't a scheme fit. I think he probably would have helped Fields' passing stats but we throw so little that it may not have made a huge difference. Outside of fantasy football, I don't think the Steelers miss him at all. He can piss off and enjoy 1-16.

Last edited:
adams to the jets. and we play the jets..

SUMBEEECH
LOL Raise your hand if you were fooled into thinking the Steelers had a shot at Adams. Having said that, depending upon what the Jets gave up, Im not sure it would have been worth trading for him. The mistake the Steelers made was going into the season and not addressing the WR problem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT