ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh Maulers

pierre93

Athletic Director
Apr 2, 2004
Just thought I'd start a thread to break the monotony of all the covid19 chat etc.
I was really a fan of the Maulers as well the USFL. At the time I was in 7th grade and loved the thought of spring football. I remember meeting Mike Rozier a few years back and chatting with Sam Clancy about those days. Very interesting stuff about the team and owner Ed Debartolo sr. If the Maulers survived that 84 season Mr Debartolo was going to make the team into a powerhouse. The NFL owners didn't like the fact that Ed jr owned an NFL team and Ed sr owned a USFL team so the Maulers were forced to fold under pressure regardless of what some articles contend. Lots of Youngtown connections too. Still have a few items from the Maulers. Also Trump owned the NJ Generals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVNVPanther
Just thought I'd start a thread to break the monotony of all the covid19 chat etc.
I was really a fan of the Maulers as well the USFL. At the time I was in 7th grade and loved the thought of spring football. I remember meeting Mike Rozier a few years back and chatting with Sam Clancy about those days. Very interesting stuff about the team and owner Ed Debartolo sr. If the Maulers survived that 84 season Mr Debartolo was going to make the team into a powerhouse. The NFL owners didn't like the fact that Ed jr owned an NFL team and Ed sr owned a USFL team so the Maulers were forced to fold under pressure. Lots of Youngtown connections too. Still have a few items from the Maulers.
The first game I ever attended at Three Rivers Stadium was a Maulers game. I was a huge fan and was really bummed when they folded. The USFL was amazing football with so many superstars. We will never see another non-NFL product that good again.

Reactions: pierre93
pierre93 said:

Also Trump owned the NJ Generals.

Watch the USFL 30 for 30. Trump didn't just own the Generals, he basically destroyed the league.
[/quote]
“It was a hard thing to watch unfold,” said Jerry Argovitz, owner of the Houston Gamblers. “Donald didn’t love the USFL. Which is terrible, because we had a great league and a great idea. But then everyone let Donald Trump take over. It was our death.”

Shocking.

Watch the USFL 30 for 30. Trump didn't just own the Generals, he basically destroyed the league.
“It was a hard thing to watch unfold,” said Jerry Argovitz, owner of the Houston Gamblers. “Donald didn’t love the USFL. Which is terrible, because we had a great league and a great idea. But then everyone let Donald Trump take over. It was our death.”

Shocking.[/QUOTE]
This^^^^^

The first game I ever attended at Three Rivers Stadium was a Maulers game. I was a huge fan and was really bummed when they folded. The USFL was amazing football with so many superstars. We will never see another non-NFL product that good again.
Totally agree!!!!

I was really a fan of the Maulers as well the USFL. At the time I was in 7th grade and loved the thought of spring football. I remember meeting Mike Rozier a few years back and chatting with Sam Clancy about those days. Very interesting stuff about the team and owner Ed Debartolo sr. If the Maulers survived that 84 season Mr Debartolo was going to make the team into a powerhouse. The NFL owners didn't like the fact that Ed jr owned an NFL team and Ed sr owned a USFL team so the Maulers were forced to fold under pressure regardless of what some articles contend. Lots of Youngtown connections too. Still have a few items from the Maulers. Also Trump owned the NJ Generals.
And Joe Biden started sniffing little girl's hair.

Maybe bringing up the Maulers wasn't a good idea. I should've maybe went with the Pittsburgh Gladiators.

Shocking.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. This is why the NFL (so far) has been strong with their ownership to not let a Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones who are only in it for themselves ruin the NFL.

I worry as the Dan Rooney's die off it is going to be harder and harder to fend these guys off.

Reactions: Big Marty1

Shocking.
Interesting. This is why the NFL (so far) has been strong with their ownership to not let a Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones who are only in it for themselves ruin the NFL.

I worry as the Dan Rooney's die off it is going to be harder and harder to fend these guys off.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that what America is about? Free enterprise recruits?

Shocking.[/QUOTE]

5cfa2c5ac2a64d7bd0acbb1c

Shocking.

5cfa2c5ac2a64d7bd0acbb1c
[/QUOTE]
Facts! Thank you like I said in a few earlier posts I NEVER knew Trump was the demise of it. I came across some Pittsburgh Maulers items and decided to post about them. Then some other posters chimed in about the history of the league. That documentary really was informative but I guess that wasn't real either. Unreal how some are brainwashed. I'll try not to post anything connected to the almighty. SMH

Last edited:
USFL was a joke as is any democratic governor or the speaker of the house Freu gelato.

I went to all 9 Maulers home games. Best memory is getting to see Sam Clancy play football. After that, pffft. The weather (March to July) ranged from bone-chilling cold to sweltering hot. I can't recall a fall football season where I sat through every form of precipitation -- snow, sleet, drizzle, driving rain, thunderstorm, hail. The Maulers games were fun, though. The team didn't have much talent and suffered through a handful of hard-luck losses that might have turned 3-15 into something more like 6-10 or 7-9 with a few lucky breaks. The Steelers hated sharing 3RS with the maulers but they didn't have much choice as it was a public facility.... USFL as a whole had plenty of star power on offense and in spots on defense, but few teams had a good defensive backfield, and it showed.... When Tampa's owner died, the USFL lost a voice of reason. I think Trump wasn't the only owner who dreamed of forcing his way into the NFL. But he pushed for the move to fall football up against The Shield, which turned out to be a disaster.

I went to all 9 Maulers home games. Best memory is getting to see Sam Clancy play football. After that, pffft. The weather (March to July) ranged from bone-chilling cold to sweltering hot. I can't recall a fall football season where I sat through every form of precipitation -- snow, sleet, drizzle, driving rain, thunderstorm, hail. The Maulers games were fun, though. The team didn't have much talent and suffered through a handful of hard-luck losses that might have turned 3-15 into something more like 6-10 or 7-9 with a few lucky breaks. The Steelers hated sharing 3RS with the maulers but they didn't have much choice as it was a public facility.... USFL as a whole had plenty of star power on offense and in spots on defense, but few teams had a good defensive backfield, and it showed.... When Tampa's owner died, the USFL lost a voice of reason. I think Trump wasn't the only owner who dreamed of forcing his way into the NFL. But he pushed for the move to fall football up against The Shield, which turned out to be a disaster.
Thank you for sharing, have any items? I have a pennant and seat cushion lol

I got the biggest kick out of the TV and radio commercials the Maulers ran.

(Over a sound track "borrowed" from a Ford truck commercial, a narrator shouting in a semi-growl: )

"The MAAAUUUULERS! Featuring HEISman Trophy winner . . .MIKE! . . . Ro . . . ZIEEEEERRRR!!!"

Loved the USFL and I just finished fourth grade during the first season and was upset I was going to miss the league’s title game. My parents signed my brother and I to go to Camp Fitch up on Lake Erie.

Looking back I shake my head how the Steelers couldn’t even find one contributor from the three-round USFL Dispersal Draft after the league folded. Not as bad as the Giants passing on Reggie White for Gary Zimmerman, who then was shipped to Minnesota. LT and the Minister playing together. Talk about wrecking havoc on offenses.

Last edited:
Loved the USFL and I just finished fourth grade during the first season and was upset I was going to miss the league’s title game. My parents signed my brother and I to go to Camp Fitch up on Lake Erie.

Looking back I shake my head how the Steelers couldn’t even find one contributor from the three-round USFL Dispersal Draft after the league folded. Not as bad as the Giants passing on Reggie White for Gary Zimmerman, who then was shipped to Minnesota. LT and the Minister playing together. Yikes.
Steve Young, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Herchel Walker, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier, etc. Loved that league but the Maulers were my team. Ramblin Root Beer too!!!!

Steve Young, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Herchel Walker, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier, etc. Loved that league but the Maulers were my team. Ramblin Root Beer too!!!!
I actually loved the Maulers' receivers, Jackie Flowers and Greg Anderson. The USFL was the only time I ever rooted hard for two teams: Maulers and Gamblers.

Some teams, like LA and Houston, had awesome uniforms. Philly and the Michigan Panthers were cool, too.

When I met Mike Rozier he told me so many USFL stories. Then saw my Pitt hat and said Steve Pederson eff'd up when he demolished Pitt stadium.

I actually loved the Maulers' receivers, Jackie Flowers and Greg Anderson. The USFL was the only time I ever rooted hard for two teams: Maulers and Gamblers.

Some teams, like LA and Houston, had awesome uniforms. Philly and the Michigan Panthers were cool, too.
Me too, Jackie Flowers was a great wr!!!!! Gamblers and machine gun Kelly!!! Loved it

The Maulers game I attended was against the Denver Gold. The Maulers led 21-0 and ended up losing 31-21. Pretty much summed up that season.

That team had such bad QB play. In league that featured Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Doug Williams, Bobby Hebert and many others who later started and won many games in the NFL, the Maulers rolled out Glenn Carano and Tom Rosantz.

Michigan Panthers with wr Carter and QB
The Maulers game I attended was against the Denver Gold. The Maulers led 21-0 and ended up losing 31-21. Pretty much summed up that season.

That team had such bad QB play. In league that featured Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Doug Williams, Bobby Hebert and many others who later started and won many games in the NFL, the Maulers rolled out Glenn Carano and Tom Rosantz.
Hebert and William's wow

I just loved that league and football in the springtime was awesome. That was not a garbage league at all. People who cut that league up have no clue. I'd love to see another league really give the NFL a run for its $$$. That was so close to overtaking the NFL.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
When I met Mike Rozier he told me so many USFL stories. Then saw my Pitt hat and said Steve Pederson eff'd up when he demolished Pitt stadium.
Not surprised Rozier knew about Pitt Stadium. He and Irving Fryer came soooooo close to attending Pitt. Last minute both decided to head where there would be less chance of finding trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT