ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Reread my addendum.

What pass?
He’s a pro and our starting goalie.
He was not good all season and it carried over the the playoffs.

Hockey is a weak link sport.

If he plays well next season I’ll be confident going into the playoffs in him.

I simply call it like I see it.
His history suggests he will be better.

His history isn’t long enough to make predictions

His history splitting games for 2 seasons with a hof goalie , and having two outstanding post seasons.
And when it was his show- played below average most al season and was average in the playoff.

Dad dying and injuries. Of course you wouldn't know anything about that. Record shut out streak in the AHL. Two cups, that is all I know, two Cups and shut outs or 1 goal games when it all was on the line.

That's what counts. No matter how you try to spin it, that is what counts. You can't win and shut out teams every year. Ask Marc Andre Fleury.

Two Cups before 23. Never been done before. Continued whining about his play this playoffs is just being greedy. Again, no goalie wins every year. How has Carey Price done?

Leave the hockey talk to the grown ups Souf. Go talk about things you are expert on. Like.....

Dad dying and injuries. Of course you wouldn't know anything about that. Record shut out streak in the AHL. Two cups, that is all I know, two Cups and shut outs or 1 goal games when it all was on the line.

That's what counts. No matter how you try to spin it, that is what counts. You can't win and shut out teams every year. Ask Marc Andre Fleury.

Two Cups before 23. Never been done before. Continued whining about his play this playoffs is just being greedy. Again, no goalie wins every year. How has Carey Price done?

Leave the hockey talk to the grown ups Souf. Go talk about things you are expert on. Like.....

Carey price isn’t my concern.

You made a comment about his track record.
I clarified his track record isn’t long enough to project.

I hope he’s great .
But having a hot goalie for a flash isn’t an unusual occurrence.

Cam ward and Giguere come to mind

Regained his peak

Fleury is the #1 reason they won the first cup.

actually he was the number 1 reason it went 7 games against a banged up detroit team, he was average for a cup winning goalie

malkin has the best playoff season in at least 2 decades, hence the conn smythe and crosby had 30 points too which is among the best

Just my opinion but if Murray would have played in game 7 against the caps last year in round two instead of Fleury the Caps would of been the team to advance. Fleury won that series.The caps destroyed Murray when he played last year.

Rumblings are starting that the Pens are interested in Max Domi. I don't know much about him but if he does decent in Phoenix he is probably a good player. Similarly, Phoenix was the initial trade partner I thought of should Kessel be dealt. Kessel had a good working relationship with Rick T. and the Pens could probably fetch a few good young defensemen in return.

Rumblings are starting that the Pens are interested in Max Domi. I don't know much about him but if he does decent in Phoenix he is probably a good player. Similarly, Phoenix was the initial trade partner I thought of should Kessel be dealt. Kessel had a good working relationship with Rick T. and the Pens could probably fetch a few good young defensemen in return.

Well Tie Domi is also one of Mario's best friends.

Can we parse every goal MAF has let in over these past 2 games like we do with Matt Murray? I notice a couple went high glove including one that beat him and hit cross bar.

Just in order to be fair..... Fluery's save percentage and GAA for these playoffs are pretty damn equal to Murray's last year.

Can we parse every goal MAF has let in over these past 2 games like we do with Matt Murray? I notice a couple went high glove including one that beat him and hit cross bar.

Just in order to be fair..... Fluery's save percentage and GAA for these playoffs are pretty damn equal to Murray's last year.

I'll do an analysis with some comments later after I get some time to review the film, if you are actually interested.

I'll do an analysis with some comments later after I get some time to review the film, if you are actually interested.

Actually, I wouldn't mind it, I was just being snarky at the Murray critics who just refused to cut him any slack at all this year and never gave him credit for his success over the past few years.

Some analysis of the goals that Fleury has given up in the first two games of the SCF's from the goalies standpoint ......

GAME 1 ...

Goal #1- Shot from the point, MAF in good position, shot deflected in slot changing direction and going in on the ice to the blocker side..... nothing MAF could really do.

Goal #2- Wrap around by Oshie who passes it through the slot to the other side where an open Cap puts it in the net .... MAF was in good position on the wrap around but had some difficulty pushing across at first but it was a high scoring chance that any goalie would have difficulty stopping .... poor defensive coverage on the play by Las Vegas.

Goal #3- MAF goes out too far to cut the angle down on a puck handler in the right circle and instead of shooting, the puck carrier passes it to an open man coming down the slot and because MAF is out too far, he can't get over in time to stop the shot ..... the defense had poor coverage again but MAF was out of position on the play.

Goal #4- Deflection/redirection right in front MAF who was in good position but puck went through his legs and MAF was't sure where the puck was and actually kicked it into his own net.

GAME 2 ...

Goal #1- Again MAF went out too far in his positioning and the puck carrier in the left circle instead of shooting passed across to the opposite side to an open Cap who buried it .... MAF was out too far and couldn't get across in time but again there was terrible defensive coverage by Las Vegas.

Goal #2- PP goal on pass across through the crease and a one timer by Ovie ..... MAF was in good position on the post but hard to get across in time to stop Ovie (got his blocker on it but still went in).

Goal #3- Deflection or double deflection .... Fleury was in OK position but change of direction on deflection hard to stop.

COMMENTS-
- Of the 7 goals given up by MAF in the 1st two games of the SCF's ...... 3 were on deflections and 2 on passes across crease/slot all of which he was initially in good position but hard shots to stop .... and 2 were on plays where he was out of position going out too far and not being able to get across to stop the shots.

- Terrible defensive coverage on 4/7 goals.

- No problem at all with Fleury's glove hand so far.

- Dave Prior, MAF's goalie coach at Vegas, has enhanced Fleury's game this season by having him play more aggressive positioning (out farther on the edge of the crease much of the time) ..... after analyzing the film, Prior will want MAF to continue to play the aggressive positioning that has made him so good this season but they will want to make sure that MAF doesn't go out too far and not be able to move to the next position fast enough to make the save as happened a couple times already ..... a BIG thing that Vegas is going to have to improve going forward in this series is better defensive coverage low in their own zone.

- The Caps, on the other hand, will want to keep getting traffic in front of Fleury for deflections/screens which has been scoring goals for them and make Fleury move side to side as much as possible as when you play out far on your positioning, you often have to move farther from one position to the next.

- I picked the Caps to win the Cup and still think they will but it has the makings of a great series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT