ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Master Plan

Man, you people who continue to futilely hold on to this on-campus stadium garbage will never learn. And where are the plans for the on-campus stadium that some on here insisted were in the works and who had "inside" information on those plans going forward??????

The plans I see emphasize new development for a better student experience and for improved facilities for academics and research. That's where the priorities should be. So please, all of you fairy tale believers in that on-campus stadium, please quit your whining! It's not going to happen for at least the next 100 years and probably never.

Man, you people who continue to futilely hold on to this on-campus stadium garbage will never learn. And where are the plans for the on-campus stadium that some on here insisted were in the works and who had "inside" information on those plans going forward??????

The plans I see emphasize new development for a better student experience and for improved facilities for academics and research. That's where the priorities should be. So please, all of you fairy tale believers in that on-campus stadium, please quit your whining! It's not going to happen for at least the next 100 years and probably never.

Tbats fine. Like I said, Pitt football will continue to be a laughing stock for the next 100 years.

Tbats fine. Like I said, Pitt football will continue to be a laughing stock for the next 100 years.

As long as we're not turning into WVU or become a laughing stock in what the university is established to do...educate young people to become major contributors to society. That's all that matters. Pitt football is a nice diversion. Believe me, no one that matters is laughing at Pitt football or looking at it as a laughing stock. Because it's not that important. It's just fun entertainment for the relatively few who choose to take part in it. I doubt they're laughing at the expansive medical, research and transplant facilities and capabilities that Pitt has and will have.

And why do you assume that just because we don't have an on-campus stadium, that others view us as a laughing stock? That's just not true. They view us as a laughing stock in football because we've been mediocre or worse for 30+ years, many of which were played at old Pitt Stadium, the on-campus stadium. We haven't gotten a football coaching hire right in a while and the coaches can't get the talent we need to be competitive. And don't say if we had an on-campus stadium, that we'd get the talent and we'd increase attendance. That is a fallacy. Please let it go. Your beliefs are based on fairy tales.

As long as we're not turning into WVU or become a laughing stock in what the university is established to do...educate young people to become major contributors to society. That's all that matters. Pitt football is a nice diversion. Believe me, no one that matters is laughing at Pitt football or looking at it as a laughing stock. Because it's not that important. It's just fun entertainment for the relatively few who choose to take part in it. I doubt they're laughing at the expansive medical, research and transplant facilities and capabilities that Pitt has and will have.

And why do you assume that just because we don't have an on-campus stadium, that others view us as a laughing stock? That's just not true. They view us as a laughing stock in football because we've been mediocre or worse for 30+ years, many of which were played at old Pitt Stadium, the on-campus stadium. We haven't gotten a football coaching hire right in a while and the coaches can't get the talent we need to be competitive. And don't say if we had an on-campus stadium, that we'd get the talent and we'd increase attendance. That is a fallacy. Please let it go. Your beliefs are based on fairy tales.

Then...where are the Chemistry or Physics message boards?

You saw my post above. You can choose to ignore, but at least those who are interested, at least try and communicate your thoughts. Obviously if they put together this detailed of a plan, someone is talking about it, even if it isn't on there. There is obviously going to be investment in Oakland.

Then...where are the Chemistry or Physics message boards?

You saw my post above. You can choose to ignore, but at least those who are interested, at least try and communicate your thoughts. Obviously if they put together this detailed of a plan, someone is talking about it, even if it isn't on there. There is obviously going to be investment in Oakland.

Chemistry and Physics don't need message boards to be relevant. Chemistry and Physics have been around a lot longer than message boards and football. LOL! And how do you think message boards were created? It wasn't magic.

Who's talking about an on-campus stadium? Except for message board chatter? I'm sure no one who worked on this plan gave it much attention, if any.

Great post.

When they announced the stadium arrangement there was actually some excitement. Sharing the facilities with the most respected entity in the region. Recruits at the time did indeed like the idea. Pitt had every opp in the world to carpe diem and make that place it's legitimate home as well as the Steelers.

But Pitt failed to win, so the excitement and opportunity is long passed. Meanwhile the Steelers continued with excellence, and history is written by the victors. On Sunday's its a place of hope and excitement, on Saturday's its a depressing dump. And those things have NOTHING to do with the building itself.

Chemistry and Physics don't need message boards to be relevant. Chemistry and Physics have been around a lot longer than message boards and football. LOL! And how do you think message boards were created? It wasn't magic.

Who's talking about an on-campus stadium? Except for message board chatter? I'm sure no one who worked on this plan gave it much attention, if any.

Then don't play college football. It is this type of faux elitism that holds Pitt football back. Stanford certainly is a good school, they can manage to invest in football. Michigan? Notre Dame? USC? Ohio State, yes Penn State, Wisconsin, Texas, all are schools either peers or superior to Pitt in most academic ratings. This "I don't want to be WVU" crap is BS. You can focus resources on football and celebrate it, and try to be good or really good without sacrificing academics. Like the man said, Pitt can cure polio, it ought to be able to figure out how to be good in football once in awhile.

Who said they had inside information and there were plans for a stadium? You're the only one that said that, just now.

Actually, I'm quite certain that nobody thought there would be anything about a stadium in this plan. If one third of what they proposed gets done it would be a miracle.

Then don't play college football. It is this type of faux elitism that holds Pitt football back. Stanford certainly is a good school, they can manage to invest in football. Michigan? Notre Dame? USC? Ohio State, yes Penn State, Wisconsin, Texas, all are schools either peers or superior to Pitt in most academic ratings. This "I don't want to be WVU" crap is BS. You can focus resources on football and celebrate it, and try to be good or really good without sacrificing academics. Like the man said, Pitt can cure polio, it ought to be able to figure out how to be good in football once in awhile.
First sentence is what it comes down to. In the current system Pitt either has to spend far more and cheat... yes, "and" ... or may as well close up the shop. In this region nobody will care, spend or go to games if not earnestly trying for championships. Maybe that is indeed terrible, but it's the reality. Problem is that we're prisoners of the conference now because while the Pitt leadership doesn't care about winning in football, it DOES care about doing well in 'respectable' sports, so needs to stay in football to keep the big conference checks coming. The ACC is fine with it because the world needs ditch diggers too. UNC wouldn't have a victory without us, for example. They're fine that we stink.

I consistently say that they aren't committed enough to build a stadium in Oakland. Pitt football will continue being a national laughing stock because of it.
Commitment isn’t the issue.

It would be a dereliction of fiduciary responsibility to spend on that structure.

The future of the university is in attracting the best and brightest faculty, researchers, and as a result students.

Not playing football in Oakland

I'd suggest all the on campus stadium folks start a fund to finance the venture . Pitt will never pay for it because it makes no cent$ .
They stunk out Pitt stadium for a lot yrs and it wasn't always falling apart .
Who wouldn't love a modern on campus stadium , but if I had to pick I'd choose they spend their powder on coaches and players.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Last I was on campus, for the Pitt-PSU game weekend, it was hosting a large kickball event with dozens of students, at night. It has an advantage of being a lighted field. They’re planning another large dorm adjacent to it too.

Yes an one over on university drive

I'd suggest all the on campus stadium folks start a fund to finance the venture . Pitt will never pay for it because it makes no cent$ .
They stunk out Pitt stadium for a lot yrs and it wasn't always falling apart .
Who wouldn't love a modern on campus stadium , but if I had to pick I'd choose they spend their powder on coaches and players.
They tried a fundraising effort in the 90s to save Pitt stadium.

I believe their efforts may have been large enough to buy pizza for the group.

You can focus resources on football and celebrate it, and try to be good or really good without sacrificing academics.

And you can do all that while playing football games a couple miles from campus.

Our problem is not WHERE we play football, it's HOW we play football. The fact that that is so obvious and yet so misunderstood by so many is comical.

Who said they had inside information and there were plans for a stadium? You're the only one that said that, just now.

Actually, I'm quite certain that nobody thought there would be anything about a stadium in this plan. If one third of what they proposed gets done it would be a miracle.

There were some posters on this board who said they knew things were going to be moving forward regarding an on-campus stadium and to stay tuned. Some kind of "plan" to fund it and find the resources. I don't have the time and don't care to go back to see who the posters were. It isn't relevant. I'm just saying it was stated on this board.

But it's a message board and 99% of what is on here is speculation, wishful thinking and BS.

Reactions: paulbl99
And you can do all that while playing football games a couple miles from campus.

Our problem is not WHERE we play football, it's HOW we play football. The fact that that is so obvious and yet so misunderstood by so many is comical.

Well said. An on-campus stadium won't help one thing if we don't break the mediocrity of the past 30+ years. Not in Pittsburgh. This isn't a college football town. And Pitt doesn't play the game very well. It won't matter where a stadium is located.

I consistently say that they aren't committed enough to build a stadium in Oakland. Pitt football will continue being a national laughing stock because of it.
Carter Findlay on campus
Nope
Close ?
Not really
NCSU win ?
Yep
NCSU recruit ?
Yep
Fans showing up?
Yep

Total rubbish you and SMF keep pitching.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

The problem also is, there are 45K MAX fans of Pitt football who would willingly go to games. We have a 70K Stadium. If we have 100% participation, that leaves 20-25K seats to be filled by either casual sports fans who get interested in the game, or the fans of the opposition. What usually happens you get about 80% participation of these Pitt fans, and maybe 2-5K of opposing fans, usually yielding crowds of 35K.

Stadium too big. Don't confuse the "on campus" part with the more important part, "right sized". Combine also that every September we are prisoners to the MLB and Pirates schedule. We are hostages by the Steelers as far as Stadium presentment and set up.

Again, don't worry about the logistics and the "never will" crap. That is not our problem, that is Pitt's. But they put this elaborate campus plan together, so obviously there is some movement to reconfigure things in Oakland. I have been told on good authority, that in that comments section of the plan, they want to hear from people, especially in regards to a stadium. Just saying "never" and trying to be smarter than everyone else isn't going to help. I hope you get what I am trying to say. It ain't that hard. Just dream for once, blue sky it, think outside of the box. You aren't responsible for coming up with the "hows" just that you understand that a right sized, on campus stadium, controlled by Pitt, not the pro teams in town, would be more preferential for the football program. If you don't understand this, well I just throw my hands up.

I hope you get what I am trying to say.

I get exactly what you are trying to say. I agree, if all the sudden 50,000 people respond to their plan and say that not only does Pitt need an on campus stadium but that more importantly they will be willing to pitch in with four, five, six, seven, and maybe even some eight figure donations then they will try to make it happen. But as long as the fact of the matter is that not one tenth of that many people, and almost certainly one one hundredth of that many people (especially the money part of it), will do no such thing it isn't going to make any difference.

There are ways to "right size" the stadium that we play in. Too many people think that makes us look small time. As if selling 45,000 tickets in a 70,000 seat stadium is any real difference from selling 45,000 tickets in a 50,000 seat stadium.

It's great to dream about these kinds of things. It's even better to live in the real world and deal with real world issues rather than spend any real time on dreams that just aren't going to happen in probably both of our lifetimes.

Reactions: ThePanthers
You won't fill up a stadium even a 50,000 capacity stadium without an exciting WINNING team .
Win and create a buzz around the program then continue to win and win over the fans .
They've been a disappointing program for yrs and it will take yrs to change the public's perception of them .
A new beautiful on campus stadium still won't make kids choose Pitt over schools like PSU , OSU , ND ETC . Winning and competing for national championships will !

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Commitment isn’t the issue.

It would be a dereliction of fiduciary responsibility to spend on that structure.

The future of the university is in attracting the best and brightest faculty, researchers, and as a result students.

Not playing football in Oakland

That's fine, but fans need to realize that Pitt isn't going to do ever see much success as an FBS football program with the current set up.
Carter Findlay on campus
Nope
Close ?
Not really
NCSU win ?
Yep
NCSU recruit ?
Yep
Fans showing up?
Yep

Total rubbish you and SMF keep pitching.

Is it their stadium?

Wow, this is pretty cool. Lots to unload, like the OP said. Victory Heights looks nice, love how everything is connected. Wonder if this will add much parking. I’m assuming the Pete additions are for the ACC Network studios.

My two questions.
- Is there going to be anything new with the Pete lawn, other than renaming it Victory Lawn? Are they going to use it more often now? Is it going to turn into the amphitheater that was proposed a while back?
- Why spend $13m+ on the Pitt Sports Dome when they’re going to be building an outdoor track there (I’m assuming it’ll just be a practice track and not host anything because of the prior concerns)? Was it just such a pressing need that they were willing to commit that type of money for a short-term facility? It seems like it becomes obsolete now with the new student rec center and indoor field as part of the plan, making it more likely that a track goes there.

@CrazyPaco @bwh05 any thoughts/insight on this?

Perhaps the dome etc can be moved elsewhere so it can be reused on campus etc. hate to think pitt blew 13 mil on a short term thing but then again they gonna spend at least that to dfire duzz

That's fine, but fans need to realize that Pitt isn't going to do ever see much success as an FBS football program with the current set up.

Is it their stadium?
That’s just ridiculous...who cares when you’re at Heinz on a Saturday, the last thing anyone there except for nitwits is thinking.....gee who owns this place..

The field logo is Pitt script and the wall banners are Pitt. And who gives a flip what color the friggin seats are, do you know what color the seats are at Beaver Stadium....rather the benches.
Hint: they’re fan colored..

UCLA and USC both shared a stadium with the Rams during arguably their greatest period of success.

Your and SMF’s constant gaggle about a football field in Oakland is total pishposh, but have at it...

Last edited:

Is it their stadium?

There is NO correlation between WHERE you play football and HOW you play football. Zero correlation. Also, there is no correlation between who owns the stadium and how you play football. This Pitt football program is a disaster and has been for a long time. Without good coaches and the talent, you don't win.

I don't understand how some on here are so ignorant about basis facts on this. Unless you're 10 or something and haven't lived through some of the history of Pitt football.

Looks like Pitt has released the draft of its new master plan: https://www.campusplan.pitt.edu/

There's a lot to unpack, but it looks like there are a few items of particular note that the board might find interesting. Victory Heights is specifically referenced in the plan, and it looks like the outdoor track proposal where the sports dome is currently located is still on the table. The University plan calls for a new student recreation facility to be built on O'Hara next to Western Psych, so it appears that they'd build that facility and would no longer need the sports dome, freeing up room for an outdoor track. My read on the renderings would appear to show that they plan to build a large indoor facility as part of Trees Hall, and knock down a significant part of the Cost Center in favor of a large new athletics facility (which presumably would include an indoor track, sports medicine and weight training facilities) on the footprint of the Cost Center and OC lot.

Outside of athletics, there's also a lot of attention dedicated to a "One Bigelow" plan on the Syria Mosque lot - it appears to be an academic building that would probably represent among the larger new academic construction projects in some time. There also appear to be plans for several new dorm facilities, a new academic support facility between Hillman and Lawrence, and significant renovations to Crabtree Hall and a few other academic buildings.

Master Plan? That's hilarious !!! This is Pitt we're talking about.

They decorate Heinz Field with Pitt insignia at field level. They used to Tarp the one endzone with a 9-time national championship banner. There is no reason they can’t tarp the upper deck to right size the stadium to around 50k.

They decorate Heinz Field with Pitt insignia at field level. They used to Tarp the one endzone with a 9-time national championship banner. There is no reason they can’t tarp the upper deck to right size the stadium to around 50k.
That’s spot on; right size the damn stadium and stuff Duzz if he’s pissing and moaning.....
Start with the N endzone huge upper deck and go from there.

There’s not one iota of a chance Pitt is going to drop half a bil on a football field in Oakland. Those yammering for it could write the check tomorrow morning, and Pitt would spend it on other things .....rightfully so.

Last edited:

in all fairness to us, that was one poster, zeta zeta dude. and well, he was mocked relentlessly on here for it..

Pitt Master Plan: Fire off a frenzy of unsubstantiated rape claims against Excussi, buyout renegotiated, hire larry fitzgerald as hc, trump designs new on campus stadium, vernon pig smith wins heisman

narduzzi is very adamant against it. I guess lyke could pull a power struggle on it but not sure you want your AD and HC in a battle like that.

Honestly, I think we spend too much time on the tarps topic, it's putting lipstick on a pig IMO.. Making people sit next to each other wont increase noise level or energy, it will just annoy everyone..

narduzzi is very adamant against it. I guess lyke could pull a power struggle on it but not sure you want your AD and HC in a battle like that.

Honestly, I think we spend too much time on the tarps topic, it's putting lipstick on a pig IMO.. Making people sit next to each other wont increase noise level or energy, it will just annoy everyone..
Who gives two Craps what narduzzi thinks?

There is no battle.
She’s his boss and he’s clown shoes

Just to update this, it looks like Pitt plans to move pretty quickly on some of the high-priority projects in the master plan - namely, the new student rec center on O’Hara where the current parking garage and LRDC are located, and the new athletics facility on the OC lot. Looks like we should be getting some serious movement on both in the new year.

https://buildingpittsburgh.com/2018/11/14/pitt-is-it/

“The first of these major projects, a $90 million student rec center on O’Hara Street, is out for construction management proposals. Pitt is taking proposals from AECOM, Barton Malow, Gilbane, Mascaro, Massaro, PJ Dick, Turner, Whiting-Turner, and Walsh on Nov. 28. The project includes a new parking garage and is being designed by Moody Nolan & Associates.

pages-from-campus-plan-v6.jpg

Rendering of the student rec center from Pitt’s updated master plan.

A similar-sized project, the Human Performance Center, should be ready for RFP in the early part of 2019. That project is part of a $400 million expansion and improvement to the athletic facilities north of campus, in what will be called Victory Heights.”

The plans I see emphasize new development for a better student experience and for improved facilities for academics and research..ah, that's nice!..and on a football fan message board to boot..... oddly enough though, these are the same lofty academic plans that all major universities have...but of course, somewhere down the line they set aside funding for on campus football stadiums......

Looks like Pitt has released the draft of its new master plan: https://www.campusplan.pitt.edu/

There's a lot to unpack, but it looks like there are a few items of particular note that the board might find interesting. Victory Heights is specifically referenced in the plan, and it looks like the outdoor track proposal where the sports dome is currently located is still on the table. The University plan calls for a new student recreation facility to be built on O'Hara next to Western Psych, so it appears that they'd build that facility and would no longer need the sports dome, freeing up room for an outdoor track. My read on the renderings would appear to show that they plan to build a large indoor facility as part of Trees Hall, and knock down a significant part of the Cost Center in favor of a large new athletics facility (which presumably would include an indoor track, sports medicine and weight training facilities) on the footprint of the Cost Center and OC lot.

Outside of athletics, there's also a lot of attention dedicated to a "One Bigelow" plan on the Syria Mosque lot - it appears to be an academic building that would probably represent among the larger new academic construction projects in some time. There also appear to be plans for several new dorm facilities, a new academic support facility between Hillman and Lawrence, and significant renovations to Crabtree Hall and a few other academic buildings.
there is space at the bottom of Bates Street across from the UPMC training facility for this... There has been an aroused interest in the Master Bates plan recently.

It reflects its fan base of couch dwelling locals
Or the historic ineptitude of the Pitt Ath Dept....
It’s an organizational memory thing.

Didn’t even start with the Killer Bs but they set the stage for this run of mediocrity..... followed by the recent almost hard to top Parachute Smiley’s Mother Of All F’ups. A triple play within weeks..... doubtful ever to be replicated.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT