ADVERTISEMENT

Saquan Barkley

Look. He’s a great back. Injuries happen. Benny Snell is not very good. Conner is better.

Love what Conner did at Pitt. Think he is a quality NFL RB. Don't think he is a feature back like is often used...many teams have true NFL feature backs: Henry, McCaffrey, Kamara, Elliot, D. Cook,etc. Conner just does not impact the game the way those RBs do. Would like to see Conner in a dual role with another more explosive back. While different in skill set, Snell is more less on the same quality level as Conner. It's like a team with two #2 pitchers but no ace.

Barkley, Miles Sanders, and a few other RBs around the league seemingly have the talent to be feature backs like McCaffrey, Kamara, Elliot, etc., but they have yet to actually put up multiple full (or near full) seasons with that kind of production to be considered in that class.

Love Barkley's game but it was always idiotic to take him at #2 overall. You just can't build your offense around a RB.

The giants went 5-11 and then 4-12 and are 0-2 this year (probably another 4-12 type year, maybe a bit better since the NFCE is a real dumpster fire). Barkley's signed this year for $8.5M, then $10M. After that, the Giants can keep him on the 5th year option which will easily be $18M+ as would a long-term deal.

Barkley was never going to be cheap, and now he's starting to get really expensive on a team that can't block for him or get the ball to him in space. Meanwhile the Jaguars are starting a RB for $600,000.

The Giants have a terrible FO. They should all be fired for negligence.

Love Barkley's game but it was always idiotic to take him at #2 overall. You just can't build your offense around a RB.

The giants went 5-11 and then 4-12 and are 0-2 this year (probably another 4-12 type year, maybe a bit better since the NFCE is a real dumpster fire). Barkley's signed this year for $8.5M, then $10M. After that, the Giants can keep him on the 5th year option which will easily be $18M+ as would a long-term deal.

Barkley was never going to be cheap, and now he's starting to get really expensive on a team that can't block for him or get the ball to him in space. Meanwhile the Jaguars are starting a RB for $600,000.

You mention the Jags, that’s a good call. The team that did it right was the Chargers. They declined to pay Melvin Gordon $12 million a year and instead gave a value deal to their once-upon-a-time undrafted RB Ekeler and then just drafted a possible future starter in Joshua Kelley. Then they took that money they saved on RBs and paid Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram and built a good defense.

The Giants were always destined for Pain taking an RB in the Top-5.

Would have been a great move to trade down and pick up a couple quality offensive lineman.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Would have been a great move to trade down and pick up a couple quality offensive lineman.

I said at the time that what they were doing made no sense. Saquon was a "win now" pick and they followed that up with Daniel Jones, who was more or less a project-level QB. If they were going to "win now" with Saquon they should have been trying to find a high level FA QB on the market in 2019 or even traded for one. Taking a RB #2 and then promptly wasting his 5 productive years going 5-11 is freaking idiotic.

You mention the Jags, that’s a good call. The team that did it right was the Chargers. They declined to pay Melvin Gordon $12 million a year and instead gave a value deal to their once-upon-a-time undrafted RB Ekeler and then just drafted a possible future starter in Joshua Kelley. Then they took that money they saved on RBs and paid Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram and built a good defense.

Exactly. Ekeler basically gets $4M per year guaranteed, Melvin Gordon got $7M. But if I were a GM I'm not sure I would ever give a RB a deal with more than $5M per year guaranteed. It's the easiest position to draft someone and plug them in. Guys like Jonathan Taylor and JK Dobbins come out every single year. Just spend pick 60 or whatever drafting one of them every 5 years.

Kijana Carter was a first round pick by the Bengals. He was the best PSU running back I can remember. Maybe Blair Thomas was his equal but Carter was better than most of Paternos stud running backs. He tore his knee up early in his first year and that was the end of his career. That’s the risk with running backs. Interesting that nobody probably ever heard of Mostart of the 49ers. Absolute stud even though he got hurt yesterday. He wasn’t a first round pick. You can get good running backs in the late rounds of the draft.

Kijana Carter was a first round pick by the Bengals. He was the best PSU running back I can remember. Maybe Blair Thomas was his equal but Carter was better than most of Paternos stud running backs. He tore his knee up early in his first year and that was the end of his career. That’s the risk with running backs. Interesting that nobody probably ever heard of Mostart of the 49ers. Absolute stud even though he got hurt yesterday. He wasn’t a first round pick. You can get good running backs in the late rounds of the draft.
I think Curt Warner was pretty damn good and better than Thomas. No PSU back can ever touch Dorsett, nor ever Curtis Martin or Shady.

They could’ve taken Quenton Nelson there and plugged in an all pro guard for the next 10 years as a cornerstone on their line.

Raheem Mostert is a stud? You mean the guy who's been in the league since 2015 and doesn't have 1,000 career yards yet and has only played 16 games once in his career?

While I agree you can find talented players anywhere in the draft (or even as FA's), there were 6 RB's taken in the first two rounds in 2020 so I don't think the experts agree that it's a waste to take on in the early rounds. My hot take is that teams have to understand their needs and draft accordingly.

They could’ve taken Quenton Nelson there and plugged in an all pro guard for the next 10 years as a cornerstone on their line.
No team takes a guard with the number 2 pick. Trade down and get multiple good players. For an offensive lineman to go at 2, he'd have to be an absolute stud left tackle.

Raheem Mostert is a stud? You mean the guy who's been in the league since 2015 and doesn't have 1,000 career yards yet and has only played 16 games once in his career?

While I agree you can find talented players anywhere in the draft (or even as FA's), there were 6 RB's taken in the first two rounds in 2020 so I don't think the experts agree that it's a waste to take on in the early rounds. My hot take is that teams have to understand their needs and draft accordingly.

While I am not per se against taking a 1st round RB, taking one in the top 5 is moronic. Even Zeke. The Cowboys very easily could have gone Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry and had a much better team.

While I am not per se against taking a 1st round RB, taking one in the top 5 is moronic. Even Zeke. The Cowboys very easily could have gone Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry and had a much better team.

It's not that often that teams pick a RB in the top 5. I still contend that it depends on your needs. The Giants passed on QB's in 2018 (there were a bunch taken in the first round) for Barkley because there was some sentimental loyalty to Manning. That's not the first time an NFL team has made that mistake. Instead they waited a year and brought in Jones. He might still be good but I guess my point is, you can say that the Giants screwed that up and that Barkley is a really good RB and be right on both.

No team takes a guard with the number 2 pick. Trade down and get multiple good players. For an offensive lineman to go at 2, he'd have to be an absolute stud left tackle.

Fair point, but Nelson wasn’t just any guard either. He was the highest graded player in that draft and one of the top OL prospects in years. A sure thing, which is why he didn’t make it past #6. But I suppose they could’ve tried to trade down with QB needy Denver with Darnold still on the board.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
Warner was their best IMO. He was the real deal. I always thought Thomas was overrated. His OL at PSU was Pitt-esque and in the NFL he seemed to be decent but not special before he got hurt. I don't know about Carter. That PSU offense was just rediculous. Did all the parts seem better because they fit so well? Carter wasn't doing that great before the injury but it was just a handful of games. They are really cursed at PSU with all the blown knees for their TB's in the NFL. Maybe it's karma for Franco sprinting to the sidelines his whole career.

The Titans have a good OL, an extremely fast and athletic combo of WR and TE to stretch the field, and a veteran signal caller to pull the trigger. Giants have none of that.

Titans have also topped out at 9-7 in a really poor division so I'm not sure Derrick Henry is the slam dunk example you think he is.

It's not that often that teams pick a RB in the top 5. I still contend that it depends on your needs. The Giants passed on QB's in 2018 (there were a bunch taken in the first round) for Barkley because there was some sentimental loyalty to Manning. That's not the first time an NFL team has made that mistake. Instead they waited a year and brought in Jones. He might still be good but I guess my point is, you can say that the Giants screwed that up and that Barkley is a really good RB and be right on both.

Barkley is good but the opportunity cost of taking a good RB at #2 overall was never going to be justified, even if he didn't get hurt.

The point of rookie contracts is cost controlled talent. $10M per year for a great QB, WR, OT, or DB is a bargain. $10M per year for a RB is a top 7 guy. Barkley was one of the highest paid RBs before he took an NFL snap. It was always asinine.

Reactions: CougarClaws
The days of 300 plus carry, 3 down backs are gone. Now it’s a stable of backs, that can be found in any round, that can play in certain situations. Build a quality Oline and RB success will follow.

Barkley is a great talent. Just because he went to State Penn or got injured doesn't change that fact. Unless Hugh Green wasn't great?

Reactions: pittdan77
Barkley is a great talent. Just because he went to State Penn or got injured doesn't change that fact. Unless Hugh Green wasn't great?

of course hobo with the dissenting opinion. Great talents always finish outside the top 15 rushers in their 2nd year. Or don't run for over 100 yards in half their games in college their final year. Generational talent.

As a Raiders Fan, I think they did it right selecting a Stud RB from Bama(think was selected late in the 1st Round), who was not used often by the Nictator, so had plenty of Tread Life on his Tires coming into the NFL. The Raiders usually screw up the Draft though, and got better after the Old Man died and McKenzie was the GM(except during his 1st Year as the GM and in charge of the Draft with the bad pick of the DB with the Heart Condition selected to early that year).

Then Chuckie took over and had the Power(where he forced out McKenzie to secure Complete Control, since Mark Davis paid Chuckie 10 Million per Year, so the writing was on the wall on who would win the Power Struggle-although the Raiders hired Mayock, so assume he was a person who Chuckie felt would agree with his Player Personnel Philosophy), and I am still bent that he traded Mack who was the Best Defensive Front 7 Player after Donald. Apparently, Mark Davis was too Cash Poor to pay Mack, but if that is the case, then he should have sold the Team he inherited.

Actually, I wanted the Raiders to package some picks to mov up and draft Donald also the same year they drafted Mack, as I knew how good Donald was being a PITT Fan and how he performed in the Post Season All Star Game versus other Top College Offensive Linemen. Donald and Mack in the Same Defense would have have been exciting for us Raiders Fans.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT