ADVERTISEMENT

SEC considering their own CFP

Define affiliation? If Pitt student are cheerleaders, then we have to fund swimming? Nope. If I need to drop the 3 credit requirement, I will. The players can take classes anywhere or not but would be encouraged to take classes at Pitt. I'd suspect that most players would take classes at the school they are loosely affiliated with.

This isnt that hard. Its a pro league where teams bought the university's sports team name. Title IX not necessary.
ANY affiliation. It's a pretty hard line in the sand. You take students that get federal aid, you are subject to Title IX.

So why exactly would Pitt or any other school sell it's sports team name? To what end does that even make sense? Pitt has next to nothing to gain from that arrangement.

The only purpose I can see is precisely to continue helping to fund Title IX and the other non revenue sports. As I mentioned Pitt is all in on those. Problem is that I can’t see a minor league setup like this generating a fraction of what Pitt gets from being in the ACC for football and basketball now.

But if this special setup can be limited to football, and if an ACC (and other conferences) and basketball can still be there, albeit somewhat less money, but still enough to let Pitt continue its non revenue sports playing at this high level, Pitt would be ok. However the problems College Football is facing looks to be facing college basketball as well. But maybe salaries are acceptable/manageable for basketball
There really isn't a legitimate purpose for Pitt to even bother with that arrangement. Football probably doesn't fund more than itself so the school is already operating on donations and borrowed money for it's other sports. It's a zero sum arrangement that most schools are quite comfortable with. And it's not like this minor league scheme is all that plausible.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
This is only step one. Without the SEC the CFP money will become about half it is today and that money will go the the SEC playoff. That money is only shared by 16 teams and not distributing money to all of the conferences. This will ultimately lead to a conference like the big ten to join forces and split a larger pot.

Ultimately this will eliminate the lower conferences (you can still play them like FCS schools) from payouts and bowls with the SEC controlling the major college bowl playoff process. The only question is if individual teams outside the SEC will be invited to join or if fully conferences and their champions will be invited to participate.
Not at all how it would work. The networks aren't going to pay premium money for something that isn't a premium product and doesn't have true national exposure. They're already struggling to keep viewers. Regionalizing it ain't going to make it better.

Reactions: Pitt79
I hate to be doom and gloom but this is going to happen. Why split the money with other schools when they can keep it themselves. I still believe the SEC will take more teams, potentially 32. Teams like USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame will all be added creating one super league under the SEC name. I know a lot of us here obviously love Pitt, but we will not be included. We don't have the fan base or money. Heck we are not even the most popular team in this state. To pretend that no one will care about this new league is silly. Yea a lot of schools will be left out and a lot of people will be angry at first, but people want to watch the best quality product and the SEC will be that. They will be on the top networks and they will have the best players due to the fact that these schools will pay players ungodly amounts of money. This isn't to say that we still can't get excited about our Pitt Panthers and obsess over our hopes to win whatever championship they are playing for, but it will not be for best college football team in the land. This is the sad new reality that most college football fans find themselves in. This is not what we are use to, but it will be our new reality in the not so distant future.

I don't watch the SEC now. Wouldn't change my viewing habits, except maybe watch less. I have no problem tuning out the never ending noise around conference mergers and NIL . As long as I can watch relatively competitive football, I'm fine. I miss when Thursday night was the WAC, Mountain West. I can watch BYU Boise state or Colorado State Air Force or Wyoming and be very happy. Eff the big boys.

I don't understand an SEC-only playoff. I know it's the most lucrative league in college football right now, but with the rest of college football as a whole, it's not in a power position to have its own 16-team league team and declare its own champion. It's too regionalized and not enough people will care. The rest of the conferences hold a lot more power than they believe if they keep from bowing down to the SEC.

It seems like the SEC is planning a move down the line to add more blue bloods, but if not one else joins, the league really won't have any ground to stand on if they try to isolate themselves from the other P5 conferences.

As far as college football turning into a pure minor league, I think that would be a disaster. College football is so popular because students and alumni have a connection to the schools. If you take that away and the pageantry (let's be real, there won't be college sponsored cheerleaders, band, fight songs, etc.) if college football breaks away from universities, you'll have half empty stadiums and lower TV ratings.

I think they're bluffing, to be honest.
Of course they aren’t bluffing. On what planet are any of you on who believe that the SEC doesn’t hold every advantage. I’m not disagreeing that the ESPN Thamel fed SEC article (which benefits BOTH greatly) isn’t a total “or else” piece aimed at the B1G. The B1G is the only other entity that matters. USC and Clemson and probably a few others will be in the new SEC-ish conference very shortly.

Those that don’t believe this are just holding their ears and closing their eyes because they don’t want to believe that the current conference format is in danger in the SHORT TERM….not just the long term. It doesn’t benefit WVU at all and it sucks greatly but it’s a fact.

The B1G will appropriately capitulate because it VERY MUCH is in the best interests of Ohio State.

I’d be willing to bet any of you a large sum of money that any playoff of “others” would be much less viewed than the SEC-led playoff. Too many people only think in terms of gross population….not actual viewers.

Some of you may not like watching the SEC and that’s fine. You are likely NOT what TV execs are aiming at. You are a relative die-hard (as am I….as we all post on a message board) compared to the casual fan they prefer to cater to. Those types of fans watch the best product. They just do.

Last edited:
This is hilarious, they would instantly regret it. Nobody outside of the southeast cares about SEC football that’s what they fail to realize. Football fans in Wisconsin for example do not care about UGA or Auburn or any other SEC school for that matter.

College football is a collection of regional interests. The media elites fail to realize this. I don't care about Bama-Georgia anymore than any other game or Bama cares about the Backyard Brawl. If the SEC broke away, I'd follow the standings and maybe watch one game if I was home on a Saturday or stuck at a relatives house inside.

College football is a collection of regional interests. The media elites fail to realize this. I don't care about Bama-Georgia anymore than any other game or Bama cares about the Backyard Brawl. If the SEC broke away, I'd follow the standings and maybe watch one game if I was home on a Saturday or stuck at a relatives house inside.
If the sec broke away, it would be ignored by every region in the country outside of the south East. Hence the nascar comparison.

The Texas addition does change things as college football fans in that state would now be interested in the sec, with the horns and aggies being in the SEC.

Is this enough for the SEC to make it worth it? Maybe. Maybe not. But if they go this route, they are going to find out.

Reactions: Dan1911
The SEC is the only other conference that I watch. I don't care at all about the PAC or Big 10.

With that said, I can't see an entire SEC playoff being "must see TV". The championship game? Absolutely. I'm not sure the playoff games leading up to an SEC championship game would be much more compelling than a run of the mill bowl game.

Define affiliation? If Pitt student are cheerleaders, then we have to fund swimming? Nope. If I need to drop the 3 credit requirement, I will. The players can take classes anywhere or not but would be encouraged to take classes at Pitt. I'd suspect that most players would take classes at the school they are loosely affiliated with.

This isnt that hard. Its a pro league where teams bought the university's sports team name. Title IX not necessary.
I'd urge people to quit being fans of this farce if it happened.

So why exactly would Pitt or any other school sell it's sports team name? To what end does that even make sense? Pitt has next to nothing to gain from that arrangement.
Exactly, Pitt should if this happens, try to undermine this, not enable it, the goal after all according to SMF is just buy the name, probably as cheap as possible and make 100% sure that it doesn't fund any other Pitt sports programs, so Pitt and any other school should turn their back on the whole idea, or else demand that they FULLY FUND non revenue sports and Title IX in return for the right to use the Pitt name, logo and colors.

I hate to be doom and gloom but this is going to happen. Why split the money with other schools when they can keep it themselves. I still believe the SEC will take more teams, potentially 32. Teams like USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame will all be added creating one super league under the SEC name. I know a lot of us here obviously love Pitt, but we will not be included. We don't have the fan base or money. Heck we are not even the most popular team in this state. To pretend that no one will care about this new league is silly. Yea a lot of schools will be left out and a lot of people will be angry at first, but people want to watch the best quality product and the SEC will be that. They will be on the top networks and they will have the best players due to the fact that these schools will pay players ungodly amounts of money. This isn't to say that we still can't get excited about our Pitt Panthers and obsess over our hopes to win whatever championship they are playing for, but it will not be for best college football team in the land. This is the sad new reality that most college football fans find themselves in. This is not what we are use to, but it will be our new reality in the not so distant future.
That's fine with me, I don't want to watch "the best" I want to watch Pitt, so I'll watch whatever league Pitt is in and ignore the new super league. Maybe the rest of you will be watching "the best" I won't, I'm the true definition of "regional", I'd rather just be a Pitt YINZER and follow lesser quality football.

Because it would be a professional league not associated with the university other than using its name.
Then who will be paying the salaries? If there is any legal involvement from the schools, then the can of worms opens up. You're talking lawsuits up the gazoo because the volleyball, soccer, etc. athletes are going to be asking, "where is mine?" And that is what will break the universities and they know this. That's why this will never happen. Fans are getting carried away with this pay league thing. The only realistic possibility is 70 or so schools break from the NCAA and do their own thing.

Dude stop
No, just drop out of this football BS completely, the school names their teams Panthers or Blue Devils for 100 years, and they are the ones that have to drop the name for the SEC Pro Football League, hell no! Just drop out, if you want football, go D3, don't pay any players, no scholarships either, turn the money over to scholarships for students that are regular schmucks with no athletic ability but higher SAT scores. And if Basketball needs to be involved, make that D3 too. if this happened I'd say to Pitt BE IVY LEAGUE - GET OUT of the pro sports dude stop lol never going to happen

Then who will be paying the salaries? If there is any legal involvement from the schools, then the can of worms opens up. You're talking lawsuits up the gazoo because the volleyball, soccer, etc. athletes are going to be asking, "where is mine?" And that is what will break the universities and they know this. That's why this will never happen. Fans are getting carried away with this pay league thing. The only realistic possibility is 70 or so schools break from the NCAA and do their own thing.
The Pittsburgh Panthers Football Club, Inc. pays the salaries, not the university.

The Pittsburgh Panthers Football Club, Inc. pays the salaries, not the university.
The NFL would love that as much as they love the college system today. A free system to develop players is their sole purpose for not allowing players to join the NFL for three years post high school. I’m sure they don’t care about semantics, so long as they don’t have to pay for developing players.

The NFL would love that as much as they love the college system today. A free system to develop players is their sole purpose for not allowing players to join the NFL for three years post high school. I’m sure they don’t care about semantics, so long as they don’t have to pay for developing players.
Yea, actually maybe the NFL can start the "collegiate pro league."

- buy team names from colleges
- rent the on-campus stadiums
- require players take 3-6 credits for "personal development"

I doubt Title IX is going to require the NFL to fund women's rowing.

Any way you do it, you have to find a model which allows players to get real salaries and not booster payments but also avoid having to pay Olympic sports athletes.

Yea, actually maybe the NFL can start the "collegiate pro league."

- buy team names from colleges
- rent the on-campus stadiums
- require players take 3-6 credits for "personal development"

I doubt Title IX is going to require the NFL to fund women's rowing.

Any way you do it, you have to find a model which allows players to get real salaries and not booster payments but also avoid having to pay Olympic sports athletes.
I would implore the universities to NOT COOPERATE! Burn it down before it can even start. Most importantly don't allow them to use the team names EVER, don't let them on campus. And if you do consider it, starting point is you want the names and access to the campus? FUND ALL THE NON-REVENUE SPORTS and TITLE IX and pay for women's rowing too!

Of course they aren’t bluffing. On what planet are any of you on who believe that the SEC doesn’t hold every advantage. I’m not disagreeing that the ESPN Thamel fed SEC article (which benefits BOTH greatly) isn’t a total “or else” piece aimed at the B1G. The B1G is the only other entity that matters. USC and Clemson and probably a few others will be in the new SEC-ish conference very shortly.

Those that don’t believe this are just holding their ears and closing their eyes because they don’t want to believe that the current conference format is in danger in the SHORT TERM….not just the long term. It doesn’t benefit WVU at all and it sucks greatly but it’s a fact.

The B1G will appropriately capitulate because it VERY MUCH is in the best interests of Ohio State.

I’d be willing to bet any of you a large sum of money that any playoff of “others” would be much less viewed than the SEC-led playoff. Too many people only think in terms of gross population….not actual viewers.

Some of you may not like watching the SEC and that’s fine. You are likely NOT what TV execs are aiming at. You are a relative die-hard (as am I….as we all post on a message board) compared to the casual fan they prefer to cater to. Those types of fans watch the best product. They just do.
Yeah, the B1G is totally going to drop to its knees and beg the SEC for some scraps as they're negotiating their own huge TV deal. And yeah, Ohio State totally wants in on that SEC meat grinder because they don't benefit at all from playing in a conference they dominate that is swimming in TV money.

There seems to be this dream world that writers live in that totally ignores the model that has sustained sports for the last forty years. "The SEC is going to break away and do what it wants," crowd conveniently ignores the reality that the networks are happily paying more and more for other products. The ACC TV revenue climbed again (and that deal is still two years away from maturing) and the B1G might just go ahead and blow past the SEC. Especially if Fox or someone else goes all in on their new deal. Anything coming out of ESPN while the B1G is negotiating its TV deal is a bit more than suspect. It is infinitely more likely that if TV is going to start consolidating its product, they might poach the best schools (TV wise) from PAC and Big12 and leave the rest out to dry. So yeah, it's a bluff.

Reactions: happjack
I’ll have to spell it out because some seem dense in this topic.

Pitt. Does. Not. Want. To. Avoid. Title IX. Or. The. Non-Revenue. Sports.

Pitt is wired in favor of inclusion in their sports, from the trustees and the chancellor, to the the deans and the admins, to the faculty and the students they bring in.

Other schools may look for greasy ways to set up pay for play being suggested here, so that it can somehow legally sidestep the women’s and Olympic sports. Pitt is not one of those schools. Pitt is making massive and difficult investments to provide high grade facilities for these sports. They cannot backpedal from it. And they don’t want to!

The future setup for football and/or basketball, whatever it is, had better include a way to not only continue to fund these sports as the current system does, but continue to fund and position them at a high level.

So continue inventing these fantasy schemes and scenarios in threads like these, it’s what the offseason is for, really … the dreams and delusions. But never forget the reality of what I say above.

This is hilarious, they would instantly regret it. Nobody outside of the southeast cares about SEC football that’s what they fail to realize. Football fans in Wisconsin for example do not care about UGA or Auburn or any other SEC school for that matter.
Yes they do. The numbers agree.

Yeah, the B1G is totally going to drop to its knees and beg the SEC for some scraps as they're negotiating their own huge TV deal. And yeah, Ohio State totally wants in on that SEC meat grinder because they don't benefit at all from playing in a conference they dominate that is swimming in TV money.

There seems to be this dream world that writers live in that totally ignores the model that has sustained sports for the last forty years. "The SEC is going to break away and do what it wants," crowd conveniently ignores the reality that the networks are happily paying more and more for other products. The ACC TV revenue climbed again (and that deal is still two years away from maturing) and the B1G might just go ahead and blow past the SEC. Especially if Fox or someone else goes all in on their new deal. Anything coming out of ESPN while the B1G is negotiating its TV deal is a bit more than suspect. It is infinitely more likely that if TV is going to start consolidating its product, they might poach the best schools (TV wise) from PAC and Big12 and leave the rest out to dry. So yeah, it's a bluff.
This^

It's way more likely that the B1G raids the PAC-12 than the likes of Ohio State and Michigan joining the SEC. They tv money a combo of Colorado, USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and either of the Arizona schools in the B1G would blow away whatever deal the SEC makes.

Reactions: pittdan77
I’ll have to spell it out because some seem dense in this topic.

Pitt. Does. Not. Want. To. Avoid. Title IX. Or. The. Non-Revenue. Sports.

Pitt is wired in favor of inclusion in their sports, from the trustees and the chancellor, to the the deans and the admins, to the faculty and the students they bring in.

Other schools may look for greasy ways to set up pay for play being suggested here, so that it can somehow legally sidestep the women’s and Olympic sports. Pitt is not one of those schools. Pitt is making massive and difficult investments to provide high grade facilities for these sports. They cannot backpedal from it. And they don’t want to!

The future setup for football and/or basketball, whatever it is, had better include a way to not only continue to fund these sports as the current system does, but continue to fund and position them at a high level.

So continue inventing these fantasy schemes and scenarios in threads like these, it’s what the offseason is for, really … the dreams and delusions. But never forget the reality of what I say above.
Good post in an utterly depressing thread.

You’re not thinking this through from the TOSU perspective. The time to cling onto history and tradition, which admittedly was a BIG feature of college football, is over.

I’m not doubting that the B1G schools will fetch a lot of $ but TOSU will fetch a lot of money wherever they are. It’s all about keeping up with the Joneses.

The current format does that perfectly for TOSU. If the SEC threatened to separate and form own playoff then B1G (which is TOSU and to lesser extent Michigan) will capitulate, period. There will be a 12 team playoff. If the B1G actually disregards TOSU wishes then TOSU will head to this new league.

The powers are the schools themselves NOT the conferences. These are the power players….Two TX schools, OU, LSU, Bama/Auburn, UGA, UF, TOSU and to lesser extent USC and Michigan/ND.

Those are the powers of this sport from an overall perspective (money, boosters, alumni willing to give, NIL, recruiting footprint, etc).

8 of them are in one conference AND totally dominate the recruiting footprint. They have absolutely zero reason to bluff. They are in the driver’s seat.

A part of me thinks that these other conferences don’t value what the SEC and TOSU value (football-wise) and there’s actually nothing wrong with that. It’s why I think multiple schools head to SEC. However, I do think this can be delayed if the B1G agreed to 12 team playoff.

Sankey didn’t invite UT and OU to SEC for things to stay as is. It behooves him to explore all options that are best for his league and that ESPN article spells it out. A 12 team playoff would surely help in the short term.

SEC isn’t bluffing….and I’ll remind you when either the B1G gives in to the 12 team playoff or the SEC forms it’s own playoff……I would literally bet $1k that one of these happens….or MAYBE an 8 team playoff with no cap on a conference’s participation. Why would the SEC agree to that? They have 8 of the 10-11 powers in the sport.

Last edited:
You’re not thinking this through from the TOSU perspective. The time to cling onto history and tradition, which admittedly was a BIG feature of college football, is over.

I’m not doubting that the B1G schools will fetch a lot of $ but TOSU will fetch a lot of money wherever they are. It’s all about keeping up with the Joneses.

The current format does that perfectly for TOSU. If the SEC threatened to separate and form own playoff then B1G (which is TOSU and to lesser extent Michigan) will capitulate, period. There will be a 12 team playoff. If the B1G actually disregards TOSU wishes then TOSU will head to this new league.

The powers are the schools themselves NOT the conferences. These are the power players….Two TX schools, OU, LSU, Bama/Auburn, UGA, UF, TOSU and to lesser extent USC and Michigan/ND.

Those are the powers of this sport from an overall perspective (money, boosters, alumni willing to give, NIL, recruiting footprint, etc).

8 of them are in one conference AND totally dominate the recruiting footprint. They have absolutely zero reason to bluff. They are in the driver’s seat.

A part of me thinks that these other conferences don’t value what the SEC and TOSU value (football-wise) and there’s actually nothing wrong with that. It’s why I think multiple schools head to SEC. However, I do think this can be delayed if the B1G agreed to 12 team playoff.

Sankey didn’t invite UT and OU to SEC for things to stay as is. It behooves him to explore all options that are best for his league and that ESPN article spells it out. A 12 team playoff would surely help in the short term.
Dude, I can't believe you wasted calories typing that out.

So the fans of the schools left out of the SEC, will watch the SEC playoffs over the playoff their own school might be in or at least has a chance to be in? They're stupid as hell then, their teams are marginalized in that case because they themselves are turning on them. For what? Better quality players? The games in the SEC aren't necessarily any more fun to watch than games from the Sun Belt or MWC or even FCS. How about you Pitt fans? Are you watching the Southern Hillbilly Good Ole' Boy Playoffs or the Playoffs Pitt might be in?

A major determinant of success of each division will be how much gambling money said divisions will generate

A 12 team playoff would surely help in the short term.

SEC isn’t bluffing….and I’ll remind you when either the B1G gives in to the 12 team playoff or the SEC forms it’s own playoff……I would literally bet $1k that one of these happens….or MAYBE an 8 team playoff with no cap on a conference’s participation. Why would the SEC agree to that? They have 8 of the 10-11 powers in the sport.
But in this 12 team playoff 8 of the teams have to be SEC I suppose? :) No P5 automatic champion qualifiers either, to make sure you maximize SEC slots, hell with it, let em go, I'm sure some channel will broadcast whatever league Pitt is in and I'll watch ONLY that.

It's not going to be regionalized once they get USC, Texas, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. to join them. They'll get their 32 teams and split it up just like the NFL does it. Two "conferences" each with four divisions of four teams. Then they'll probably just pit the division winners against each other in a 8-team playoff.

It will very likely happen soon, and Pitt will almost certainly not be invited. It's pretty much that simple. I think Heather Lyke's battle right now is to try and convince this league to include the entire P5 (using basketball leverage and whatever else), as opposed to only about half of it, and then cede from the NCAA's umbrella for football only. But I doubt they'll win that battle. Why include Pitt, Northwestern, Illinois, Arizona, etc.? I think this is going to happen sooner than some people realize.

It is already more than just the southeast as a footprint with the addition of Texas Oklahoma and already having Missouri. It will only grow from there. Due to conference grant of rights it will likely start as an alliance with the SEC running the show.

They are going to do something the NCAA couldnt do in football and that is to be a strong governing body in place. Unfortunately the SEC members will get paid even more and become stronger. Why support the 100 + D1 teams in any type of revenue sharing when you can create a much more focused group of teams and not have to worry about "group of whatever number" crying about being excluded?

The snooty declaration last year from P12, B10, ACC of an alliance will become a historic snapshot just like when the ivy league was the pinnacle of college football 100 years ago. Times change. Those schools that dont will be related to the equivalent of D2, D3, NAIA status. You can still root for your alama mater and attend games but you will watch the big boys also at the end of the day.

Also, I find it hard to believe that posters on here claiming to be college football fans that dont watch the SEC really dont watch the saturday night primetime games on ABC that regularly have SEC teams on oklahoma.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
So the fans of the schools left out of the SEC, will watch the SEC playoffs over the playoff their own school might be in or at least has a chance to be in? They're stupid as hell then, their teams are marginalized in that case because they themselves are turning on them. For what? Better quality players? The games in the SEC aren't necessarily any more fun to watch than games from the Sun Belt or MWC or even FCS. How about you Pitt fans? Are you watching the Southern Hillbilly Good Ole' Boy Playoffs or the Playoffs Pitt might be in?
of course not. They’ll watch their team and their playoff….and they’ll also watch the SEC playoff. Some will not, of course, but “you” (collectively) absolutely will watch the SEC playoff….just look at the numbers now. You’re (again, collectively) watching.

The numbers will be much higher in terms of viewership of the SEC playoff because it’s the best product and will feature the most NFL-bound talent.

As I said previously, casual fans (not diehards like you and me) flock to the best product. Always. They don’t watch WNBA. They watch NBA.

Last edited:
I would implore the universities to NOT COOPERATE! Burn it down before it can even start. Most importantly don't allow them to use the team names EVER, don't let them on campus. And if you do consider it, starting point is you want the names and access to the campus? FUND ALL THE NON-REVENUE SPORTS and TITLE IX and pay for women's rowing too!
It won’t happen. This is just another insane idea from SMF.

Agreed. Be careful what you wish for, because I don’t think we’d get involved in something like that.

If their goal was to destroy the cash cow, they’re doing a good job! :oops:

Agreed. This could very likely turn into maybe a dozen schools with pro football and basketball and the rest doing what a university's mission is....to educate students and prioritize academics. Let them break away and form whatever league they want. I doubt Pitt would be involved with that, nor do I want them to be.

It is already more than just the southeast as a footprint with the addition of Texas Oklahoma and already having Missouri. It will only grow from there. Due to conference grant of rights it will likely start as an alliance with the SEC running the show.

They are going to do something the NCAA couldnt do in football and that is to be a strong governing body in place. Unfortunately the SEC members will get paid even more and become stronger. Why support the 100 + D1 teams in any type of revenue sharing when you can create a much more focused group of teams and not have to worry about "group of whatever number" crying about being excluded?

The snooty declaration last year from P12, B10, ACC of an alliance will become a historic snapshot just like when the ivy league was the pinnacle of college football 100 years ago. Times change. Those schools that dont will be related to the equivalent of D2, D3, NAIA status. You can still root for your alama mater and attend games but you will watch the big boys also at the end of the day.

Also, I find it hard to believe that posters on here claiming to be college football fans that dont watch the SEC really dont watch the saturday night primetime games on ABC that regularly have SEC teams on oklahoma.
^^This

Just because we don’t want it to be (whether WVU, Pitt, Sandusky or Tech fans) doesn’t mean that we can’t admit that it’s the truth. The above post is correct. It’s obvious.

Affirmation for my hopes is meaningless. It doesn’t make it so if I dispute the obvious.

It’s also very fundamental, almost, for a northern fanbase (definitely Pitt and MANY others) to toss shade at the South because they’ve rarely been in a position of power….in anything, really.

This is the exception.

Last edited:
That scenario makes it pure minor league football and it wouldn't succeed any more than past minor league football or minor league baseball or minor league basketball has on TV. Why would I want to watch a minor league team called the Pittsburgh Panthers which didn't have any affiliation with Pitt nor any Pitt students on the team? I would have zero interest. Nor would TV companies over the long term.

I would have zero interest in watching the Pitt Panthers if they weren't affiliated with the university or have Pitt kids on them. I doubt many others would either. You know the crowds they get for USFL? That's what they'd get for these minor league teams.

If this is what it's now devolved to, I'm not at all interested in watching any of it. It would be a garbage league with no fans, except for some idiots in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT