ADVERTISEMENT

Suspensions

I disagree regarding Blair. He's proven he's just another guy. A decent backup, but not someone I'm worried about losing. He hurts depth, but not an impact player of any note.

Still have Hendrix, Edwards, and plenty of young guys who will now get playing time. Interested to see Weaver get some snaps.
I don't think Blair is a great player but he is more proven capable than anyone we have. This hurts a unit which was already an enormous question mark.

Let's see what the suspension is

View image on Twitter
DF6F_ZXVYAAlfUt.jpg:small

Follow
The Spun @TheSpun

Alabama's Da'Shawn Hand arrested for DUI - mugshot already up

9:59 AM - Jul 29, 2017
Well in comparison to Pitt it wouldn't warrant a suspension at all. Bookser had a previous alcohol related arrest and his DUI was leaps and bounds worse and only missed 1 game against a 1AA.

Our weed policy is idiotic, but HCPN was soft as Charmin with Bookser.

Last edited:
Banks won't lend on them, that much I know.

Any Federal Government Employee or contractor employee who is in a mandatory random drug testing program and tests positive for marijuana is subject to termination irrespective of what state law is at his/her employment location. It's simple. You want to be a Fed or a Fed contractor employee, then you don't do marijuana. It's your choice. If you lose your job it's your own fault.

Any Federal Government Employee or contractor employee who is in a mandatory random drug testing program and tests positive for marijuana is subject to termination irrespective of what state law is at his/her employment location. It's simple. You want to be a Fed or a Fed contractor employee, then you don't do marijuana. It's your choice. If you lose your job it's your own fault.
And pot users forget ( I wonder why) that pot stays in your system for approx. 6 weeks shorter for some longer for others but always leaves traces if a person is a regular pot user. Alcohol is gone the next day!
The Feds do test ( alcohol & rug) like you said and so do most other major industries except the tech, media, and a few others.
Paper, steel, auto, mining, pharma, transportation airline / trucking, limo's, taxi's, packaging, other heavy mfg, etc all have pre employment alcohol & drug testing and randon drug testing for most employees.
Call you local temp agency and ask them if alcohol and drug testing is part or their screening process? Answer = It is! Even for the lowest level temps scanning, filing, scredding, etc.

And pot users forget ( I wonder why) that pot stays in your system for approx. 6 weeks shorter for some longer for others

"For example, a 1989 study of chronic users showed a maximum detection window of 25 days at a sensitivity of 20 ng/mL. Yet he points out that only one subject tested positive after 14 days, and it took an average of just 9.8 days before cannabinoid levels were no longer detectible. And while a 1984 study testing chronic users at a cutoff of 50 ng/mL showed a maximum of 40 days to get clean, 8 out of the 10 subjects needed only 13 days to show their first negative."

Reactions: Jpripper88
If you can't beat a urine test than you're not trying very hard, there are plenty of products out there that will do the trick. A hair test is much, much harder to beat.

I don't understand all the anger at the University and the consequences of the drug testing policy.
I'm sure every scholarship player in every sport knows the rules. How hard is it to say no?
Seriously, anyone who gets caught should be suspended multiple games just for being that stupid and that selfish.
These guys basically gave their teammates, their coaches and the fans the finger to smoke a stupid joint.

"For example, a 1989 study of chronic users showed a maximum detection window of 25 days at a sensitivity of 20 ng/mL. Yet he points out that only one subject tested positive after 14 days, and it took an average of just 9.8 days before cannabinoid levels were no longer detectible. And while a 1984 study testing chronic users at a cutoff of 50 ng/mL showed a maximum of 40 days to get clean, 8 out of the 10 subjects needed only 13 days to show their first negative."
Yeah, Buffett's info is incredibly wrong, unless he is talking about hair tests, which obviously don't apply here.

Yeah, Buffett's info is incredibly wrong, unless he is talking about hair tests, which obviously don't apply here.

Joe the Panther Fan cites a 1989 study???????????????????? Joe there's new information out there that was discovered this century??????? In some parts of the country there wasnt running water and electricity in 1989?????
Joe the Panther fan spends most of his time searching for obsure information that will disprove the point of posters he dislikes. I'm 100% Joe dislikes me and I'm 100% sure I dont care.

The information below is off a website for companies and primarily employees who have to take drug test and are trying to understand drug testing.

FYI we're not taking about the occassional pot smoker for D1 pot suspensions the majority of these players are regular or constant users or they wouldnt be failing the tests as ofter as they do!

fyi 45 and 90 days are greater than six weeks as I stated. I know this info because I'm a global director of risk management for a company and I the global compliance director who reports to me. He group administers the global drug testing program in our company! The information below is available to our employees as a helpful guideline for employees subject to drug testing!

Additionally one of our neighbors is an American Airlines pilot and he provided me with similar information that's distributed to their employees.

I'm sure you can find some pothead who supports legalizing pot everywhere who wants to downplay the impact of pot to support your position but this is the info mainstream Corp Amercia uses as a guideline!

Off a drug testing website:

As a rough guide: if you smoke the occasional joint, weed will stay in your system for up to 10 days. If you smoke regularly, up to 45 days and if you smoke constantly, 90 days.

As for being detectable in a drug test, well this depends on the type of drug test. A Urine test will detect up to a month prior, but a blood test will show positive if you've smoked any weed in the last 6 months.

Also important to note that marijuana/thc residue is stored in the fat cells, so if you're skinny or have a high metabolism, the time it takes to leave your system may be reduced.

Last edited:
This happens every day at 'Bama, tOSU, Clemson, etc, but those programs are where they are because they are SMART enough to cover it up and not STUPID enough to punish themselves.
Your jealousy and pettiness shows Pitt79!
Programs like Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc., do give out suspensions. The big difference here is their DEPTH of 4 & 5 stars replace those guys way better than the guys Pitt has as back-ups. Franklin's recruiting the last 2 years, and his HUGE class so far this year, has Penn State falling in that same category as Bama, tOSU, and Clemson. Just calling it like it is.

Reactions: NJPSU
Programs like Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc., do give out suspensions. The big difference here is their DEPTH of 4 & 5 stars replace those guys way better than the guys Pitt has as back-ups. Franklin's recruiting the last 2 years, and his HUGE class so far this year, has Penn State falling in that same category as Bama, tOSU, and Clemson. Just calling it like it is.

LOL! Typical PSU response... "You're just jealous"... Everyone's jealous... For years we've heard that bull$hit...

"Yeah, you may have beaten us on Saturday, but you're just jealous of our Grand Experiment! Bad things don't happen at our school! We're still better than you because we run a clean program, unlike you guys! You reek with JEALOUSY! We are!"

LOL!

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
Joe the Panther Fan cites a 1989 study???????????????????? Joe there's new information out there that was discovered this century??????? In some parts of the country there wasnt running water and electricity in 1989?????
Joe the Panther fan spends most of his time searching for obsure information that will disprove the point of posters he dislikes. I'm 100% Joe dislikes me and I'm 100% sure I dont care.

The information below is off a website for companies and primarily employees who have to take drug test and are trying to understand drug testing.

FYI we're not taking about the occassional pot smoker for D1 pot suspensions the majority of these players are regular or constant users or they wouldnt be failing the tests as ofter as they do!

fyi 45 and 90 days are greater than six weeks as I stated. I know this info because I'm a global director of risk management for a company and I the global compliance director who reports to me. He group administers the global drug testing program in our company! The information below is available to our employees as a helpful guideline for employees subject to drug testing!

Additionally one of our neighbors is an American Airlines pilot and he provided me with similar information that's distributed to their employees.

I'm sure you can find some pothead who supports legalizing pot everywhere who wants to downplay the impact of pot to support your position but this is the info mainstream Corp Amercia uses as a guideline!

Off a drug testing website:

As a rough guide: if you smoke the occasional joint, weed will stay in your system for up to 10 days. If you smoke regularly, up to 45 days and if you smoke constantly, 90 days.

As for being detectable in a drug test, well this depends on the type of drug test. A Urine test will detect up to a month prior, but a blood test will show positive if you've smoked any weed in the last 6 months.

Also important to note that marijuana/thc residue is stored in the fat cells, so if you're skinny or have a high metabolism, the time it takes to leave your system may be reduced.
You just went from 6 weeks to 30 days with your information and you are talking about the extremes, not casual users who are in top shape. We are taking exclusively about urine tests and with low body fat, high metabolism, extremely active, casual users.

I think they do indeed recruit against us on this. Sad to say these suspensions will be used against us twice ... in the games, and with recruits.
They don't need any Pitt dirty laundry to kick our asses in recruiting. They have done it every year for nearly 30'years. They even out-recruited us during the worst low point of the Sandusky scandal.

They don't need any Pitt dirty laundry to kick our asses in recruiting. They have done it every year for nearly 30'years. They even out-recruited us during the worst low point of the Sandusky scandal.

Even during Pitt's golden era, they were out recruiting us. We dominated Western PA, but they had the rest of PA. So we had to get players elsewhere; Green, Jackson, Doleman, etc....

Even during Pitt's golden era, they were out recruiting us. We dominated Western PA, but they had the rest of PA. So we had to get players elsewhere; Green, Jackson, Doleman, etc....
In the brief Gottfried days we were the dominant eastern force in recruiting, but that was very short lived.

Bring back the Golden Panthers baby!

I'm 100% Joe dislikes me and I'm 100% sure I dont care.

Actually I think you're great. You are probably the funniest poster on this board, non-ZZB division. I mean not intentionally, but still.

From the Colorado pot guide:

"For most people, cannabis stays in the body in large enough quantities to be detected for no more than a month, and often as little as 10 days."
  • Urine Tests
    If you've only used cannabis once, a urine test can detect it within 7 days. If you use it regularly, detection times can range from a week to 100 days, though they usually fall under 30.

• Blood Tests
    Of more limited duration than urine tests, blood exams can detect cannabis in repeat consumers between 2 and 7 days after the last time they used it. If you have only used it once, these tests typically work for 24 hours.

From Civilized Life:

"Urine testing is the most common method for detecting marijuana consumption. It can be detected up to five days after consumption in infrequent users while it can be detected up to 15 days after consumption in heavy users or those with a high percentage of body fat."

"In blood samples, cannabis can be detected for about 12 to 24 hours after consumption, with regards to infrequent users. The drug can be found in blood samples of frequent users for up to seven days."

Do you seriously not understand why the people who are requiring that you take a drug test and the people who they pay to do the testing want to present a person with the worst case scenario, rather than the most likely scenario?

Reactions: _fugazi_
Does the Pitt Admin test for drugs the same amount of times as FSU, Clemson, Ville, UNC, GT and so on? Or does the Pitt Admin test more times than their peers? If its the same, no problem. If Pitt's individual compliance is much higher than their peers, just one more reason the Pitt Admin will not enhance the chances of winning. This is also a trickle down effect, if the higher ranked kids know there is a difference, it could push them away from us. Raines might be weighing this issue right now. Some schools really want to keep their players eligible and some do not. With the huge amount of money on the table, teams are going to push the envelope. They are not looking to bring in a bunch of choir boys.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Narduzzi is coaching against the other team and he's also coaching against his own Admin. Across the country, coaches know the "deal" with the Pitt Admin. It's no secret.

I don't understand all the anger at the University and the consequences of the drug testing policy.
I'm sure every scholarship player in every sport knows the rules. How hard is it to say no?
Seriously, anyone who gets caught should be suspended multiple games just for being that stupid and that selfish.
These guys basically gave their teammates, their coaches and the fans the finger to smoke a stupid joint.[/QUOT

Not sure of the amount of times but, Pitt's penalties are more stringent than most similar where details can be found.

Actually I think you're great. You are probably the funniest poster on this board, non-ZZB division. I mean not intentionally, but still.

From the Colorado pot guide:

"For most people, cannabis stays in the body in large enough quantities to be detected for no more than a month, and often as little as 10 days."
  • Urine Tests
    If you've only used cannabis once, a urine test can detect it within 7 days. If you use it regularly, detection times can range from a week to 100 days, though they usually fall under 30.

• Blood Tests
    Of more limited duration than urine tests, blood exams can detect cannabis in repeat consumers between 2 and 7 days after the last time they used it. If you have only used it once, these tests typically work for 24 hours.

From Civilized Life:

"Urine testing is the most common method for detecting marijuana consumption. It can be detected up to five days after consumption in infrequent users while it can be detected up to 15 days after consumption in heavy users or those with a high percentage of body fat."

"In blood samples, cannabis can be detected for about 12 to 24 hours after consumption, with regards to infrequent users. The drug can be found in blood samples of frequent users for up to seven days."

Do you seriously not understand why the people who are requiring that you take a drug test and the people who they pay to do the testing want to present a person with the worst case scenario, rather than the most likely scenario?
All of this begs the question of what is the point of these tests. To find out whether someone smoked pot 2-3 weeks ago? Why is it anyone's business what people do when they are not at work, or in the case of college athletes, when they are not playing and practicing?

Reactions: pittdan77
Then let's not suspend anyone until we have the depth to suspend and still be on a level playing field in the games.

Reactions: rpost3
I'm a federal government employee for 31 years, I've never been drug tested and don't know anyone who has. I suppose at some agency or job it's possible.

LOL! Typical PSU response... "You're just jealous"... Everyone's jealous... For years we've heard that bull$hit...

"Yeah, you may have beaten us on Saturday, but you're just jealous of our Grand Experiment! Bad things don't happen at our school! We're still better than you because we run a clean program, unlike you guys! You reek with JEALOUSY! We are!"

LOL!

For decades, the Pedsters would always point to "Success With Honor" and "The Grand Experiment" bullshit as a way of rationalizing any loss. Once the scandal hit, the rest of the country saw that Paterno was a huckster conning imbeciles into believing a fairy tale and the Pedsters have been reduced to chest-thumping over attendance instead of how honest and moral their program is.

All of this begs the question of what is the point of these tests. To find out whether someone smoked pot 2-3 weeks ago? Why is it anyone's business what people do when they are not at work, or in the case of college athletes, when they are not playing and practicing?

While I generally agree, there are places where it does matter. For instance Parrothead works in the mining industry. If they have an accident in a mine the Feds are coming in and drug testing whomever may be at fault for the accident. The same way with a truck driver or heavy equipment operator or other certain professions. It is completely understandable why companies in those fields do not want their employees failing tests because they like to smoke on the weekends with their buds.

Of course the fact that someone did smoke three or four days ago has nothing to do with the accident they had today, because it's not like the person would still be high. But it looks bad. It leaves them vulnerable to lawsuits. Which costs the company money, even if they win. Of course companies like that want to scare people into thinking that if they smoke a joint this weekend they may very well fail a test a month from now. It is in their financial best interests to do so. That doesn't mean that the information they are giving out is correct or the best info out there, because giving out the best information isn't what it's all about. It's about trying to covering their arse.

Reactions: Jpripper88
While I generally agree, there are places where it does matter. For instance Parrothead works in the mining industry. If they have an accident in a mine the Feds are coming in and drug testing whomever may be at fault for the accident. The same way with a truck driver or heavy equipment operator or other certain professions. It is completely understandable why companies in those fields do not want their employees failing tests because they like to smoke on the weekends with their buds.

Of course the fact that someone did smoke three or four days ago has nothing to do with the accident they had today, because it's not like the person would still be high. But it looks bad. It leaves them vulnerable to lawsuits. Which costs the company money, even if they win. Of course companies like that want to scare people into thinking that if they smoke a joint this weekend they may very well fail a test a month from now. It is in their financial best interests to do so. That doesn't mean that the information they are giving out is correct or the best info out there, because giving out the best information isn't what it's all about. It's about trying to covering their arse.
It matters because of the "war on drugs." As you said, someone who smoked pot yesterday is not effected in their performance today, on the job or on the athletic field. There is no connection at all. It is mostly a manifestation of the "drugs are bad" hysteria.

Pitt fires Gottfried

By JIM URBAN | Dec. 18, 1989
share with facebook
share with twitter

Comments
PITTSBURGH -- University of Pittsburgh football coach Mike Gottfried was formally fired Monday, despite the Panthers' 7-3-1 season and bowl bid, and school officials announced offensive coordinator Paul Hackett will serve as interim head coach.

Gottfried, who had a 26-17-2 record over four seasons at Pitt, was asked to resign last Thursday and never gave the school a reply, said Pitt Athletic Director Edward Bozik.

'He did not reply, and accordingly, the university has acted to terminate his contract effective today,' Bozik said at a news conference at Pitt Stadium.

Bozik cited philosophical differences between the university and Gottfried regarding finanical management, academic admissions and public relations as reasons for the dismissal.

Bozik said he and Gottfried met last Thursday and the coach was asked to resign. Reportedly, Gottfried abruptly ended the meeting and has not spoken to university officials since and until Monday, the university would not confirm nor deny the publicized firing reports.

Bozik said he had discussions with Gottfried's agent, Mitch Dukov, during that period. He refused to elaborate further on the philosophical differences he described between himself and Gottfried.

Pitt is headed to the John Hancock Bowl Dec. 30 against Texas A&M.

Pitt announced last week that it would require recruits to score above NCAA requirements for admission, which upset Gottfried. The school now requires a score of 750 on the SAT and a minimum 2.3 grade-point average. NCAA Proposition 48 requirements call for a mimimum 2.0 in core courses and 700 on the SAT.

Gottfried, who could not be reached for comment Monday, also was miffed last spring when the university threw starting quarterback Darnell Dickerson out of school because of grade problems. A source said Gottfried threatened to quit then if Dickerson was not reinstated and was told 'go ahead' and quit by Pitt administrators, the source said.

Gottfried also was continually harassed by Bozik to remain within budget contraints, published reports said.

Hackett, a former assistant under legendary NFL coaches Tom Landry and Bill Walsh, said he was asked to take over the position by Bozik on Sunday. He is also a candidate to be Gottfried's permanent replacement, Bozik said.

Gottfried had a 'lifetime contract' with the university that was in reality a five-year rollover contract. The university had the option to buy Gottfried out of it should he be fired in the first 10 years. Bozik said the contract will be honored, including clauses that call for confidentiality regarding Gottfried's dismissal.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/12/18/Pitt-fires-Gottfried/2596629960400/

Mindboggling that this university hasn't learned its lesson.
Draft boards have Whitehead going in the 1-2 round. I wonder if he's considered bagging it to focus on the draft.

If you work on any NASA manned space program or for a supplier to NASA you must get drug tested. Anyone working in an industry that supplies parts for aircraft is required by the FAA to get drug tested. Not knowledgeable about military contracts but it would surprise me if you worked for a company that had government military contracts that you wouldn't need to be drug tested.

Pitt fires Gottfried

By JIM URBAN | Dec. 18, 1989
share with facebook
share with twitter

Comments
PITTSBURGH -- University of Pittsburgh football coach Mike Gottfried was formally fired Monday, despite the Panthers' 7-3-1 season and bowl bid, and school officials announced offensive coordinator Paul Hackett will serve as interim head coach.

Gottfried, who had a 26-17-2 record over four seasons at Pitt, was asked to resign last Thursday and never gave the school a reply, said Pitt Athletic Director Edward Bozik.

'He did not reply, and accordingly, the university has acted to terminate his contract effective today,' Bozik said at a news conference at Pitt Stadium.

Bozik cited philosophical differences between the university and Gottfried regarding finanical management, academic admissions and public relations as reasons for the dismissal.

Bozik said he and Gottfried met last Thursday and the coach was asked to resign. Reportedly, Gottfried abruptly ended the meeting and has not spoken to university officials since and until Monday, the university would not confirm nor deny the publicized firing reports.

Bozik said he had discussions with Gottfried's agent, Mitch Dukov, during that period. He refused to elaborate further on the philosophical differences he described between himself and Gottfried.

Pitt is headed to the John Hancock Bowl Dec. 30 against Texas A&M.

Pitt announced last week that it would require recruits to score above NCAA requirements for admission, which upset Gottfried. The school now requires a score of 750 on the SAT and a minimum 2.3 grade-point average. NCAA Proposition 48 requirements call for a mimimum 2.0 in core courses and 700 on the SAT.

Gottfried, who could not be reached for comment Monday, also was miffed last spring when the university threw starting quarterback Darnell Dickerson out of school because of grade problems. A source said Gottfried threatened to quit then if Dickerson was not reinstated and was told 'go ahead' and quit by Pitt administrators, the source said.

Gottfried also was continually harassed by Bozik to remain within budget contraints, published reports said.

Hackett, a former assistant under legendary NFL coaches Tom Landry and Bill Walsh, said he was asked to take over the position by Bozik on Sunday. He is also a candidate to be Gottfried's permanent replacement, Bozik said.

Gottfried had a 'lifetime contract' with the university that was in reality a five-year rollover contract. The university had the option to buy Gottfried out of it should he be fired in the first 10 years. Bozik said the contract will be honored, including clauses that call for confidentiality regarding Gottfried's dismissal.

Mindboggling that this university hasn't learned its lesson.
Draft boards have Whitehead going in the 1-2 round. I wonder if he's considered bagging it to focus on the draft.
It's worth it though, now that the university is considered a de facto Ivy League university thanks to this philosophy. I'm sure the presidents of Harvard and Princeton gave Gallagher a call this weekend to offer "jolly good shows" to him for the hard line on our best player.

It's worth it though, now that the university is considered a de facto Ivy League university thanks to this philosophy. I'm sure the presidents of Harvard and Princeton gave Gallagher a call this weekend to offer "jolly good shows" to him for the hard line on our best player.

Ha don't laugh.

Pitt actually tried getting into the Ivy League in the mid 20th century, and part of the strategy was doing exactly what you're joking about.
They almost bankrupted the university in the process due to all the rushed campus expansion and basically took a lifeline from the state to go from private to state-related.

The smug attitude of the people who run this school will never cease to amaze me. Reminds me of the evil deans from 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds.

Hey we can all wear our Pitt gear proudly b/c they took a hardline w/ some jock smoking weed or roiding up. Nevermind all the other major fkd up shit they let slide.

Ha don't laugh.

Pitt actually tried getting into the Ivy League in the mid 20th century, and part of the strategy was doing exactly what you're joking about.
They almost bankrupted the university in the process due to all the rushed campus expansion and basically took a lifeline from the state to go from private to state-related.

The smug attitude of the people who run this school will never cease to amaze me. Reminds me of the evil deans from 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds.

Hey we can all wear our Pitt gear proudly b/c they took a hardline w/ some jock smoking weed or roiding up. Nevermind all the other major fkd up shit they let slide.
Whoa, hold on there professor...nothing evil about Dean Ulich....with the help of a few brave nerds and a national black fraternal organization he saved Adams College from the brink of massive scandal that was enabled by the school's autocratic football coach and his out of control program.

I can think of a certain land grand school to the east that could've used a man like Dean Ulich a couple of decades ago.

a-vinganc3a7a-dos-nerds-foto-09.jpg

Mike Gottfried was also fired because he didn't want to follow the academic standards. Pitt wanted to stop taking prop 48 kids like Sean Gilbert and Gottfried did not.

But if Prop 48 was a legal thing to do, why should you handcuff yourself with added restrictions? You should want to cheat, because ALL THE WINNERS DO with few repercussions. But even if you don't cheat your standards should be the absolute rock bottom minimum allowed.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT