ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

At this point I almost hope the Pirates end up being seller’s at the deadline. The fan’s certainly deserve better, but if they’re not going to go big what’s the point. Getting Chisholm would have been good, but all of the other names I hear would make a minimal difference. The shame of it is, most fans would be okay with being sellers this year if they thought for a second, Nutting would let them go big last year.

Major league impiring is total garbage

Not sure how that’s not interference

And balls at strike calls are incredibly inconsistent

Cherington should be arrested for grand larceny. Every time that SOB gets paid he’s literally stealing.

He could go get rental players that would cost practically nothing and would immediately help the club.

Tommy Pham
Elias Diaz
Kevin Pillar

Just to name a few.

Reactions: ratking17
He had one good outing.

Just so we are on the same page, which one was the good one? The one that he gave up two runs in six innings against Milwaukee, the one where he gave up two earned in six innings against the A's, or the one where he pitched six scoreless innings against the Giants? Because I'm assuming you aren't counting the last game he pitched before this weekend, where he retired all three batters he faced.

He's 23 years old. Have some patience. As a 23 year old Mitch Keller had a 7.13 era in the majors, including games with five runs in five innings, eight runs in four innings, six runs in 4-1/3 innings, six runs in three innings, and six runs in four innings. Good thing they didn't give up on him then, huh?

Reactions: pittbb80
Just so we are on the same page, which one was the good one? The one that he gave up two runs in six innings against Milwaukee, the one where he gave up two earned in six innings against the A's, or the one where he pitched six scoreless innings against the Giants? Because I'm assuming you aren't counting the last game he pitched before this weekend, where he retired all three batters he faced.

He's 23 years old. Have some patience. As a 23 year old Mitch Keller had a 7.13 era in the majors, including games with five runs in five innings, eight runs in four innings, six runs in 4-1/3 innings, six runs in three innings, and six runs in four innings. Good thing they didn't give up on him then, huh?
Good point about Keller. I was thinking the same thing

I guess those "outings" weren't good enough for the Pirates brass - he just go shipped out to Boston.

I guess those "outings" weren't good enough for the Pirates brass - he just go shipped out to Boston.

Seems like a fair trade. I won't miss Priester, whose ceiling was in no way comparable to Keller's, in my opinion.

I'd put either Gonzalez, Perez, or Falter in long relief once everyone is back (assuming they are all coming back) and then call it a day. Keep Ortiz in the rotation.

Lineup is still too weak to do anything this season.

Reactions: 303vND
For ANOTHER infielder…. Nothing to help this year’s team…

There is no excuse not to improve this year’s team. Again, the Diamondbacks won 84 games last season and went to the World Series.

Reactions: 303vND

There is no excuse not to improve this year’s team. Again, the Diamondbacks won 84 games last season and went to the World Series.

I think it was a decent trade. They have a lot of arms both in the majors and in the minors, so they flipped one for a bat, essentially.

Their middle infield is really just Cruz, an injured Gonzalez, and a bunch of question marks. We'll see what Peguero becomes, I guess.

At the end of the day, I think it was just two teams swapping young guys with averageish MLB ceilings from positions of surplus.

I think it was a decent trade. They have a lot of arms both in the majors and in the minors, so they flipped one for a bat, essentially.

Their middle infield is really just Cruz, an injured Gonzalez, and a bunch of question marks. We'll see what Peguero becomes, I guess.

At the end of the day, I think it was just two teams swapping young guys with averageish MLB ceilings from positions of surplus.
I'm all right with the trade itself, however it does nothing to compete this year. Now allow me to rant....

I think it's an insult to the fans. They are basically saying "the hell with trying to win this year, we'll compete next year". How long should we wait before getting back to post season? Obviously, they don't want to put too much wear and tear on these precious young arms by making it to the post season. Who are they saving them for? The Dodgers? The Yankees?

And when next season arrives, they'll tell you, "wait until next year, we are building something!" What if Skenes blows out his arm next spring? Then what? Wait for another year? It's disgraceful.

***Rule of Thumb***: You play to win the games and compete for championships when the opportunity presents itself, especially when you are a small market team.

Thank you for allowing me to vent...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikefln

In exactly the kind of trade the Pirates should be making. They have extra young pitchers, and a dearth of young hitters, especially at the higher levels of the minors. The Red Sox have lots of young hitters, and almost no pitching prospects.

Win-win, hopefully.

Reactions: Upg bobcat

I wonder if the plan is that if Jared Triolo continues to hit like Jared Triolo and Alika Williams performs like, well, Alika Williams that Yorke will be up with the big club.

If it wasn't a Skenes night I would have turned these turds off after the top of the 1st. Palacios, Reynolds, and Cruz all swing at pitches well out of the zone to let a pitcher who wasn't even throwing strikes to strike out the side. It is damn embarrassing. I don't blame Nutsack for not adding to this team, they need too many bats to even think about competing for something.

I wonder if the plan is that if Jared Triolo continues to hit like Jared Triolo and Alika Williams performs like, well, Alika Williams that Yorke will be up with the big club.
If that is the case, though, why not acquire someone who has actual big league experience? At this point, Yorke is an unknown quantity as a major leaguer.

If that is the case, though, why not acquire someone who has actual big league experience? At this point, Yorke is an unknown quantity as a major leaguer.

Who is available, and at what price?

It's always really easy to say they should do something. It's a little more difficult actually being specific.

Fans might not like this, but I think all these injuries lately are going to give them their cover to not make any moves of real consequence for today. Which was probably the plan all along, they just weren't going to say that.

Note that I do not consider bringing Clarence Beeks back from Africa to be a move of real consequence.

Not always pretty but they are at least providing some excitement and competitive baseball Gutzy performance

Has to be. I expect him up here after the trade deadline at the latest. He’d be one of our best hitters immediately. I heard a Sox reporter say that it’s his bat that makes him a major leaguer but it’s his glove that doesn’t. But regarding his glove, 2nd baseman with + fielding abilities are ones who scouts wonder can play SS too. Well he’s not at that level but is plenty good enough to be a 2B.

My concern is getting through the next part of the schedule (dbags, dodgers, padres) and still remaining in this thing.

Hayes with a crazy night. Error (5th of the year) that leads to 2 runs, an incredible pick and throw later for one of the best 6-4-3 double plays you’ll ever see and save runs…at the plate he walks twice which someone here says he never ever does, the 1st time he steals 2nd and is left stranded at the 3B bag when Cruz looks at a called 3rd strike, and then after his 2nd walk was the go ahead run on Taylor’s HR.

Well, I got wise tonight and turned Nutsack's garbage off! I feel bad for Skenes. On a decent hitting team, he would be unbeaten and likely 10 or 11 and 0.
Glad you didn't stick around for the win. Two come from behind wins in a row. The team bailed out Skenes on a night when he didnt have his best stuff. Battlin' Buccos

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT