ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

It's not unreasonable to wish a guy could have been a June 2025 call-up and an opening day 2026 starter.

Look at the guys who were drafted two years ago. They would be the guys that under this scenario would have been called up in June of last year and an opening day starter this year. So how many guys are like that?

There were 39 guys picked in the first round or the first compensation round. The total number of those guys who have played even one game in the majors so far is four. Zach Neto was the 13th pick by the Angels. He fits the bill, and has played 177 games in the majors already and is at least a decent player so far. The other three guys (Jackson Holiday, Brooks Lee and Jordan Beck) have played a total of 44 games combined. Two of those three have negative WARs so far (although that's a really small sample size, so probably doesn't mean anything).

I know it's easy to say now, but I would not have brought Skenes out for the 9th. And I would have DEFINITELY walked the guy who just got what will probably be the game-winning hit in an attempt to set up the double play.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Pretty much a disgrace. Skenes is going to take his 1st loss against Lance Lynn and his 4.39 era and a couple relievers due to the ineptitude of his teams ability to hit the baseball.

Such an important game pissed away. This team's pitchers are fun to watch. Watching them bat is a house of horrors that torments the souls of bucco fans. 3 Altoona Curve players could have looked better than the buccos last 3 batters in the 9th.

I know it's easy to say now, but I would not have brought Skenes out for the 9th.

All the people who were pissed off that they took him out when he had the no hitter going should be happy tonight that they left him in.

Of course they were pissed off at a win, and tonight they'd be happy with a loss, but to each their own.

Such an important game pissed away. This team's pitchers are fun to watch. Watching them bat is a house of horrors that torments the souls of bucco fans. 3 Altoona Curve players could have looked better than the buccos last 3 batters in the 9th.

not sure how losing a Tuesday night game on July 23rd rises to that word...

im·por·tant
/imˈpôrt(ə)nt/
adjective

1. of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
All the people who were pissed off that they took him out when he had the no hitter going should be happy tonight that they left him in.

Of course they were pissed off at a win, and tonight they'd be happy with a loss, but to each their own.

I don't necessarily think they're the same thing. However, would Shelton have gotten blasted if he had taken him out and someone from the bullpen gave up that final run? Yes, absolutely. It wasn't the worst decision in the world or anything; don't get me wrong. Felt like they were trying to let him get a win, though, which is way less significant than a no-hitter. But his pitch count was low enough that they also might have just thought he gave them the best chance to win, which is fine.

Skenes made a weird gesture when fans started chanting "MVP" just before the 9th began, and I had a feeling he might have gotten a little too amped up and was going to try and do too much. And that was a pretty bad miss (fastball right down the pipe) on that game-winning hit. Pretty sure that was a 1-2 count. That needed to be out of the zone.

not sure how losing a Tuesday night game on July 23rd rises to that word...

im·por·tant
/imˈpôrt(ə)nt/
adjective

1. of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being.

sure, lots of baseball left .. but pissing away a gem from Skenes is crucial. Especially against a team that was one game ahead of us. Again, lots of ball left, but that doesn't dismiss the importance of the game.

you can't tell me they're serious about winning this series with today's lineup.

what does Connor Joe have on Shelton?

you can't tell me they're serious about winning this series with today's lineup.

what does Connor Joe have on Shelton?
Anybody who follows the Pirates knows Connor Joe is solid against lefties.
Pinch-hit against a lefty last night and singled. Two-run double today.

I know it's easy to say now, but I would not have brought Skenes out for the 9th. And I would have DEFINITELY walked the guy who just got what will probably be the game-winning hit in an attempt to set up the double play.
Burleson has the most RBI in the National League since June 1.

Anybody who follows the Pirates knows Connor Joe is solid against lefties.
Pinch-hit against a lefty last night and singled. Two-run double today.

he's 17 for 96 the last two months with one homerun. IDC what his splits for the year say .. he's bene completely lost at the plate. Good for him on coming through with a ball that should've been caught today. Really applaud his single yesterday lol.

A Joe/Tellez platoon at 1st is nothing to write home about, but it doesn't bug me.

Gonzalez at 2nd... okay.

Cruz at short... sure.

Hayes at 3rd... okay.

Reynolds in left... yes.

McCutchen at DH... ehhhhh, I guess.

Suwinski/Taylor at center... eff no.

Olivares/Palacios at right... eff no.

Grandal catching... eff no. Is he disabled? Why can't he move? Is there some PA labor law that forces us to keep him on the roster?

So, you could argue for a lot of these guys being on an MLB roster as utility guys. You could even argue for 6 or 7 of them as legit MLB starters. But most of them would be low-end starters. And the whole damn lineup can't be made up of utility guys and low end starters that you're trying to milk.

Grandal catching... eff no. Is he disabled? Why can't he move?

He hit into a double play the other day and he was running so fast that the middle infielder (I forget if the shortstop or the second baseman made the pivot) could have run to first with the ball and beat him to the base.

I don't think it's a big deal when a guy doesn't run full speed when he hits a grounder to an infielder who fields it cleanly, because you are going to be out no matter how hard you run. But man, guy on first and no or one out and you've got to run that out, because the play has too many moving parts to assume anything. And he was basically walking to first.

But I guess he brings "veteran presence", or something like that, so they keep sending him out there.

He hit into a double play the other day and he was running so fast that the middle infielder (I forget if the shortstop or the second baseman made the pivot) could have run to first with the ball and beat him to the base.

I don't think it's a big deal when a guy doesn't run full speed when he hits a grounder to an infielder who fields it cleanly, because you are going to be out no matter how hard you run. But man, guy on first and no or one out and you've got to run that out, because the play has too many moving parts to assume anything. And he was basically walking to first.

But I guess he brings "veteran presence", or something like that, so they keep sending him out there.
He seems to be Skenes catcher. I’m pretty sure that’s the only times he’s started recently

He seems to be Skenes catcher. I’m pretty sure that’s the only times he’s started recently

He started on Saturday too. I think what they are doing is if they have a night game one day and then a day game the following day Grandal catches one and Bart catches the other.

Maybe they'll find someone who values his veteran presence at the trade deadline.

He started on Saturday too. I think what they are doing is if they have a night game one day and then a day game the following day Grandal catches one and Bart catches the other.

Maybe they'll find someone who values his veteran presence at the trade deadline.
i wasn’t sure but im. Fairly sure he’s the only guy whose caught Skenes

I think guys should run hard in all instances, and I think it's weird that baseball has an unwritten rule that they don't have to. At least once per game there is a guy who could have gotten an extra base - including first - had he been running hard out of the box. It's so weird that the announcers were commending Cruz for getting to 2nd on that bloop double the other night because of "how hard he was running." But he was at least 30 feet down the line already when he turned on the jets. That actually gets commended now.

I mean, I guess if you hit a rocket to the pitcher/right side of the infield I'm okay with not running as hard. But it's odd to me how many guys hit balls to the outfield and just lightly jog to first either because they think it'll be a home run, think it'll be caught, or think it'll just be a standard double. Then something will happen that could have turned a double into a triple or a triple into an inside the park home run, which there would be a lot more of if guys exerted more effort on the bases.

By virtue of his performance in the Phillies series I had high hopes for O'Neal Cruz in the 2nd half of the season. After last night those hopes took a serious hit. I mean, the guy goes up there with no plan. He should know by now that he isn't going to see a ton of fast balls until he can prove he can hit the breaking stuff. Regardless, he just looks awful waving at breaking pitches that wind up hitting the ground and last night when he saw a fastball down the middle he was to confused to swing at it. He represents this teams best chance to move forward. Reynolds needs help, and I don't have a lot of hope that Cruz will deliver.

The Yankees just acquired Chisholm for 3 prospects. Another miss for the Bucs.

By virtue of his performance in the Phillies series I had high hopes for O'Neal Cruz in the 2nd half of the season. After last night those hopes took a serious hit. I mean, the guy goes up there with no plan. He should know by now that he isn't going to see a ton of fast balls until he can prove he can hit the breaking stuff. Regardless, he just looks awful waving at breaking pitches that wind up hitting the ground and last night when he saw a fastball down the middle he was to confused to swing at it. He represents this teams best chance to move forward. Reynolds needs help, and I don't have a lot of hope that Cruz will deliver.
Dude is a head case. For every wow bit or wow play in the field he’ll have a sting
Of wasted ABs or drop balls a little
Leaguer would make easily

Oh a Marco Gonzales is a stiff

Pirates wasted a huge opportunity last night and are going to get blown out tonite

Was Shelton violently shaken as a baby? Please spare me Quinn Priester next time and instead just stick a tee on home plate and tell the opponent to have fun.

Reactions: 303vND
What an awful assortment of bats in the outfield. I see most good bats are already gone prior to the TDL. At this point, what’s left to get? Worth it to ride out the season with this hot garbage or sell off the rentals and build for next year since he didn’t want to spend on this years club?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT