ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

Glad you didn't stick around for the win. Two come from behind wins in a row. The team bailed out Skenes on a night when he didnt have his best stuff. Battlin' Buccos

Damn Skenes and that single earned run he gave up through six! That's an ERA of 1.50; we don't need that garbage around here. Thank goodness Willy Mayes Taylor and the boys were there to carry this team on their backs again.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Glad you didn't stick around for the win. Two come from behind wins in a row. The team bailed out Skenes on a night when he didnt have his best stuff. Battlin' Buccos
I wouldnt call giving up two runs being bailed out but for sure he was not near as dominating as he has been but still had a darn good outing. Keep in mind thats a pretty good lineup he faced as well,.

Nobody wants Benny to give away prime prospects for a rental. But there are rental bats out there that can be had for a low level prospect. That's the frustrating part.

Benny's approach to this year's trade deadline is he won't make any trades that will impact this year only. He's looking to make trades that will benefit the team beyond this year.

He's looking to make trades that will benefit the team beyond this year.
Yeah I’m in agreement with this approach I have no proof but I think teams tend to overpay in trades near the deadline versus off season acquisitions

As I said the other night Cruz is maddening.

Yeah he hits the ball hard but also has so many horrible at bats. Then there’s the mind numbing errors

Shelton needs to sit his ass down for a few games. If the Pirates lose this one it’s on Cruz.

Just got back from the game - to say it was frustrating would be an understatement. There's no reason Cruz should have been anywhere near that ball in left field - that's a routine fly ball for Reynolds. If you could have seen Reynolds walk away after the play and his body language it was like...you freakin' idiot! And Holderman (who was pretty much demoted today) may find himself on the outside looking in - you just can't keep giving up homeruns every time you go out there. Lastly, you can't afford to give away games like this - these will become costly in the long run. OH...one other thing...can't wait until the utility player we picked up is ready to play - you can sit Cruz and Hayes down for some games. And is seven consecutive strikeouts by a player a record?

There's no reason Cruz should have been anywhere near that ball in left field
Right. A week or so ago, if you all recall, in a tight game with a runner on third with two outs, a hard hit but routine grounder came to Cruz. Instead of fielding and throwing the runner out, the knuckle head fired a 100mph throw over to first base, and bounced it , I think it was CJ who had to make a spectacular scoop to make the out and keep the run from scoring. In my mind, had I been the pitcher, when we got into the dugout I would have gone after Cruz and called him out for not playing the game to win. Now, I am not suggesting that Reynolds should have done that, each player has to be himself, but in this losing culture the Pirates have it would be beneficial is there was some one in leadership whose passion to win spilled over to player to player accountability, IMO.

Reactions: 303vND
Just got back from the game - to say it was frustrating would be an understatement. There's no reason Cruz should have been anywhere near that ball in left field - that's a routine fly ball for Reynolds. If you could have seen Reynolds walk away after the play and his body language it was like...you freakin' idiot! And Holderman (who was pretty much demoted today) may find himself on the outside looking in - you just can't keep giving up homeruns every time you go out there. Lastly, you can't afford to give away games like this - these will become costly in the long run. OH...one other thing...can't wait until the utility player we picked up is ready to play - you can sit Cruz and Hayes down for some games. And is seven consecutive strikeouts by a player a record?
right now Cruz is a net negative player. He’s had way too many easy drops and other bone headed fielding errors and way too many abs he jus gives away flailing at breaking balls out of the strike zone

The hype behind this guy is off the charts because he is a bit of a freak athlete and throws hard and hits the ball hard. But as an overall played he’s hurting the team.

Any other guy would still be in the minors. I could see them playing him when the talent on the team was awful and you needed some hype. But now that they are serious contenders you can’t afford to have him in the lineup

Now, I am not suggesting that Reynolds should have done that, each player has to be himself, but in this losing culture the Pirates have it would be beneficial is there was some one in leadership whose passion to win spilled over to player to player accountability, IMO.
TOTALLY AGREE!!

I took the Stros -1.5 on the basis that there was no way we were sweeping them, particularly with who we had pitching. Talk about the worst possible outcome. I would have rather seen the Pirates win than my bet win, but I'd have obviously rather lost by 60 than 1. Gonna have to win it all back betting on Russell Wilson to win the MVP.

• Haha
Reactions: pittbb80
right now Cruz is a net negative player. He’s had way too many easy drops and other bone headed fielding errors and way too many abs he jus gives away flailing at breaking balls out of the strike zone

The hype behind this guy is off the charts because he is a bit of a freak athlete and throws hard and hits the ball hard. But as an overall played he’s hurting the team.

Any other guy would still be in the minors. I could see them playing him when the talent on the team was awful and you needed some hype. But now that they are serious contenders you can’t afford to have him in the lineup

he's absolutely not hurting this team. He's one of the few real threats in this lineup .. he's also barely played a full year of major league baseball. He's still insanely young when looking at service time. I understand the frustration from the fan base with the errors and striking out .. but don't turn on the guy. He's one of the reasons to believe we can have winning baseball here again.

Yeah Cruz debuted in 2021 but has only 192 career games. He is still young and going to take lumps at the plate.

Doesn’t excuse the play in left field. But his bat needs time to evolve.

he's absolutely not hurting this team. He's one of the few real threats in this lineup .. he's also barely played a full year of major league baseball. He's still insanely young when looking at service time. I understand the frustration from the fan base with the errors and striking out .. but don't turn on the guy. He's one of the reasons to believe we can have winning baseball here again.
Yeah Cruz debuted in 2021 but has only 192 career games. He is still young and going to take lumps at the plate.

Doesn’t excuse the play in left field. But his bat needs time to evolve.
I agree that he has a long way to go as a batter and as an overall major league baseball player, and I've always doubted his future as a shortstop, but to say he is hurting the team is not accurate in my opinion.

He single handedly lost the Houston game. And there was another game that he had two drops a little leaguer should make. Dude is a net negative in the field. People get carried away with how hard he hits the ball or how strong his arm is. Im not saying they should give up on him but now that they have some decent additions they need to sit him a bit more. Clearly they are not going to reassign him to the minor leagues (which is really where he should be right now) so they need to bring him along in the majors a bit slower. JMO

So we are four hitters in tonight:

Triple down the right field line, bad throw by Cruz to third, the ball gets by Hayes, Ortiz is not backing up, and Hayes appears to not realize that the runner is going home, runner scores.

Home run almost over the right field stands

Home run into the river.

Home run to right center.

Cruz need to sit. I’ll be happy when I don’t have to watch Tubby Telez anymore

Ortiz being a good teammate by taking some heat off Cruz. I also would like to know what in the hell Hayes was doing, because it would have been pretty close at the plate if he didn't go into lackadaisical mode.

Ortiz being a good teammate by taking some heat off Cruz. I also would like to know what in the hell Hayes was doing, because it would have been pretty close at the plate if he didn't go into lackadaisical mode.

Like I said, it was like he didn't know, or even consider, that the guy might be going home. It's bad enough for that to happen, but how were none of his teammates yelling for him to throw the ball home?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT