ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

Felt like we needed to win yesterday and today. Nice job after catching a bad break with losing Keller to the rain delay. We'll see what Skenes can do today with a run, at best, in support.

Reactions: 303vND
Holderman. Dude is hot garbage

When I came I I said the game will either be tied or they willl be down one run.

Three out of the last four games were soul crushing losses. Win those and you make the playoffs.

Still to many holes in the staff and line up. Cutch is worthless. Tubby Telez has to go

Holderman is hot garbage.

If they have a good offseason this is clearly a playoff team. Need DH first base and another arm or two.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Holderman comes up with a phantom injury and goes on the IL - he needs to be out of the rotation.

Reactions: Dan1911
How on earth to you let Holderman pitch to Petersen

You had Chapman and the other lefty.

Then he didn’t run Reynolds early in the game when the DBacks were giving him second base. That would have taken way the double play

Reactions: Dan1911 and 303vND
How on earth to you let Holderman pitch to Petersen

You had Chapman and the other lefty.

Then he didn’t run Reynolds early in the game when the DBacks were giving him second base. That would have taken way the double play
FOOLISH!

We have two guys with the name of Cruz that flat out blow. They are strikeout kings. When the season is over, their strikeout total will exceed any other two teammates from any team in MLB.

We have two guys with the name of Cruz that flat out blow. They are strikeout kings. When the season is over, their strikeout total will exceed any other two teammates from any team in MLB.

Yeah, De La Cruz reminds me of the worst parts of Starling Marte when he was here. Dude goes up there just hacking at anything, and it doesn't seem like he adjusts his swing to conform to the pitch: if it's junk away he's still trying to pull it and is missing it much more often than not.

I'm not familiar with his advanced stats, so I could be way off. But that's what I'm seeing in his short time here.

The other Cruz... tough to get more frustrating than that. I thought that 2-0 pitch should have been deposited into the Allegheny. He was taking all the way, but that was the best pitch he was going to see.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Yeah, De La Cruz reminds me of the worst parts of Starling Marte when he was here. Dude goes up there just hacking at anything, and it doesn't seem like he adjusts his swing to conform to the pitch: if it's junk away he's still trying to pull it and is missing it much more often than not.

I'm not familiar with his advanced stats, so I could be way off. But that's what I'm seeing in his short time here.

The other Cruz... tough to get more frustrating than that. I thought that 2-0 pitch should have been deposited into the Allegheny. He was taking all the way, but that was the best pitch he was going to see.
Cruz has the strength, size, and bat speed to be another Aaron Judge. Unfortunately, he has a weak head and an even weaker approach. He is a frustrating player that has to be testing the Pirates front office.

Cruz has the strength, size, and bat speed to be another Aaron Judge. Unfortunately, he has a weak head and an even weaker approach. He is a frustrating player that has to be testing the Pirates front office.
I’m not ruling out that he’ll develop but right now he’s boom or bust.

I hope he'll grow out of a lot of this stuff. He's still logged less than 200 games, which gives some reason for hope.

But yeah... our prospects, at least the ones in the field. just don't seem to pan out like other teams' do, by and large. The Diamondbacks were just a lot better than us. They have so many guys who can stick. And they're also better on defense, which is an area that has been costing us plenty as of late.

The Diamondbacks were just a lot better than us.
That thought crossed my mind a couple hours after the game. I have a friend I grew up with that coached and played MLB (and managed a lot in the minors). He would often say its mostly about talent when managing in the Bigs.

That thought crossed my mind a couple hours after the game. I have a friend I grew up with that coached and played MLB (and managed a lot in the minors). He would often say its mostly about talent when managing in the Bigs.

I would have to think that baseball is the most "talent = success" sport there is.

Reactions: Parkview57
I would have to think that baseball is the most "talent = success" sport there is.
Seriously ... look at the pedigree of the two HOF players inducted this year that were from the US (Mauer and Helton, Beltre was from the Dominican Republic). Mauer was USA Today high school player of the year in both football and baseball, plus two time all-state in basketball. Helton was starting QB at Tennessee and got hurt, and was replaced by Peyton Manning so he was never going to win that job back, plus played baseball and was national collegiate player of the year.

Seriously ... look at the pedigree of the two HOF players inducted this year that were from the US (Mauer and Helton, Beltre was from the Dominican Republic). Mauer was USA Today high school player of the year in both football and baseball, plus two time all-state in basketball. Helton was starting QB at Tennessee and got hurt, and was replaced by Peyton Manning so he was never going to win that job back, plus played baseball and was national collegiate player of the year.

I'm talking about it from the perspective of the manager/coach/system having the least amount of influence. Sure, there are certain moves they can make and strategies they can implement. But it's still a game of one on one matchups.

If I selected the 11 best defenders in the league in the NFL for a game tomorrow, my defense would probably be flawed because they wouldn't all know the system. If I selected the best pitcher and 8 best position players in the MLB for a game tomorrow, that team would likely kick the opponent's doors down.

I'm talking about it from the perspective of the manager/coach/system having the least amount of influence. Sure, there are certain moves they can make and strategies they can implement. But it's still a game of one on one matchups.

If I selected the 11 best defenders in the league in the NFL for a game tomorrow, my defense would probably be flawed because they wouldn't all know the system. If I selected the best pitcher and 8 best position players in the MLB for a game tomorrow, that team would likely kick the opponent's doors down.
But for baseball, you're also talking about six months per season, 162 games. Even if your team of best pitcher and 8 best position players were all in the midst of slumps at the very moment you assembled that team, and they happen to lose the first couple series or something like that, at some point the cream would rise to the top. In a 17 game season like the NFL, crazy things can happen and each win or loss has a bigger impact on overall team's confidence, playoff chances, etc. For 162 games, those momentum shifts are more likely to even out, and whoever is truly the best will be revealed.

He single handedly lost the Houston game. And there was another game that he had two drops a little leaguer should make. Dude is a net negative in the field. People get carried away with how hard he hits the ball or how strong his arm is. Im not saying they should give up on him but now that they have some decent additions they need to sit him a bit more. Clearly they are not going to reassign him to the minor leagues (which is really where he should be right now) so they need to bring him along in the majors a bit slower. JMO

you're being way too dramatic. He didn't lose the Houston game. The bullpen did. The bullpen also lost two against AZ.

he's a big part of the future .. and yeah, he's hitting .250 with insane exit velo's. He's not hitting .180. He's had one dude protecting him in the lineup all year. That's special. His floor is basically .250 with 25-30 homers. He's a potential 40 homerun bat.

Sorry, you're opinion is absurd. Bench him for who? Triolo? Hayes? IKF? are you kidding me?

you're being way too dramatic. He didn't lose the Houston game. The bullpen did. The bullpen also lost two against AZ.

he's a big part of the future .. and yeah, he's hitting .250 with insane exit velo's. He's not hitting .180. He's had one dude protecting him in the lineup all year. That's special. His floor is basically .250 with 25-30 homers. He's a potential 40 homerun bat.

Sorry, you're opinion is absurd. Bench him for who? Triolo? Hayes? IKF? are you kidding me?
His errors accounted for 3 runs. He single Handedly lost that game.

Eh, Cruz owned that Houston loss. He caused 3 unearned runs in a 5-4 game, and he was 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. It honestly doesn't get any worse than that.

Reactions: 303vND and pittbb80

I originally thought the subject matter was Holderman but Cruz was absolutely the main reason they lost that last game in Houston. He was a mess that game - both in the field and at the plate. If he's not in the lineup that night - the Pirates win that game by three runs minimum.

In the other sports you can (somewhat) scheme your way around a talent deficit, especially if it is not a large one. In baseball you can't do that. There is no different way to pitch to guys on the other team that might even things out, there is no odd ball defensive strategy that can overcome better hitting, nothing like that.

Which is why it made me laugh the other day when I happened to be in the car and listening to the FAN to hear if they made any trades, and one of the dimbulbs on there was talking about Shelty and said that he wasn't a manager like a Chuck Tanner was, a manager that you knew would win you 14-16 extra games a year (note, it might not have been exactly 14-16, but it was in the teens). The idea that any manager, the best manager in the world, was going to win you 14 extra games in a season is mind-bogglingly stupid. And the fact that one of those guys suggested it made me remember why I don't listen to local sports talk radio anymore, and haven't for a couple of decades.

Buccos are on the brink of being out of this thing pretty quickly. Not that it wasn't expected, but they're piling up losses against teams they're in direct contention with that a wildcard spot. Could be put out of our misery by the end of the week.

We'll see what level of commitment to winning the offseason brings. I'm sure Bob will be delighted to up the payroll by $50M while taking advantage of having this young pitching staff in place.

Buccos are on the brink of being out of this thing pretty quickly. Not that it wasn't expected, but they're piling up losses against teams they're in direct contention with that a wildcard spot. Could be put out of our misery by the end of the week.

We'll see what level of commitment to winning the offseason brings. I'm sure Bob will be delighted to up the payroll by $50M while taking advantage of having this young pitching staff in place.
Mistake of an extra zero. $5M not $50M. Look at the past as to what to expect for the future.

The game should have been postponed - no way it should have been delayed 3 hours on a Tuesday night. Baseball is full of chit to let that play out only because they don't want to give people compensation.

In the other sports you can (somewhat) scheme your way around a talent deficit, especially if it is not a large one. In baseball you can't do that. There is no different way to pitch to guys on the other team that might even things out, there is no odd ball defensive strategy that can overcome better hitting, nothing like that.

Which is why it made me laugh the other day when I happened to be in the car and listening to the FAN to hear if they made any trades, and one of the dimbulbs on there was talking about Shelty and said that he wasn't a manager like a Chuck Tanner was, a manager that you knew would win you 14-16 extra games a year (note, it might not have been exactly 14-16, but it was in the teens). The idea that any manager, the best manager in the world, was going to win you 14 extra games in a season is mind-bogglingly stupid. And the fact that one of those guys suggested it made me remember why I don't listen to local sports talk radio anymore, and haven't for a couple of decades.
I agre

I agree that a manager Can’t win you games but they surely can Lose you games based on poor decisions as well as not stressing fundamentals. Regarding the later I’m not sure I’ve see as many boneheaded base running mistakes and miscommunication between infielder and out fielder as I have under Shelby. IMO those things can be cleaned up with a manager who stresses that type of thing

The three soul crushing losses to Houston and the Dbacks really hurt

The game should have been postponed - no way it should have been delayed 3 hours on a Tuesday night. Baseball is full of chit to let that play out only because they don't want to give people compensation.
We went to the game and left at 930.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT