ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers have given up

I would look to trade him and Diontae Johnson. I don’t think they’re salvageable at this point, which is sad because both (but Pickens in particular) is incredibly talented.
Pickens talent is over rated. Can he make Great sideline catches ? Yup. But there’s a lot more to it than that. There was a stat in the trib that showed he’s near the bottom half of the league is creating separation. Thats likely because when he’s not the primary receiver he takes plays off. Hes got physical skills and a ten cent head.

Steelers are hot garbage so it doesn’t matter much but after watching the helmet to helmet hit by the Bills defender on Dallas a few minutes ago, I don’t understand why Kazee got ejected yesterday. His wasn’t even with the helmet. Penalty yeah but ejection? Way too subjective with those calls/ejections.

A tight end in round 2 is a better value pick than a running back in round 1. It has nothing to do with knowing about Warren at the time opposed to finding a capable running back is easy to do.

Polamalu, Clark, Bettis, Ward, Farrior, Smith, Taylor, Keisel, etc. That team was loaded with leadership. Ben said he was the "last guard" meaning from the guys drafted in the 2000s, which is true. He said the defense has it, not on offense because of the age. He's also not wrong. Who's the leader in that group? If you can convince me there's a leader then I'll say Ben is wrong in what he was saying, but there isn't a guy in that group who is a leader.
I don’t agree with that TE in round 2 is better value than a RB in round 1. I think that’s talk radio fodder.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t agree with that TE in round 2 is better value than a RB in round 1. I think that’s talk radio fodder.
I would say a majority of running backs are 1-contract players. I don't think a player who gets 5 years and has the franchise tag is worthwhile in the first.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I really think this is similar to the Andy Reid/Eagles situation. Mike Tomlin is a good coach and could very well have success elsewhere, but it’s becoming clear that both sides need a fresh start.

How about this idea: trade Tomlin to Carolina or Washington for a pair of first round picks, then use those to build a trade package for Justin Herbert.
Why would Mike Tomlin, who has one year left on his current deal, agree to coach the Carolina Panthers or Washington Commanders? Especially if they’re going to give up two first round picks for a coach?

Why would Mike Tomlin, who has one year left on his current deal, agree to coach the Carolina Panthers or Washington Commanders? Especially if they’re going to give up two first round picks for a coach?
Obviously Tomlin would have to sign-off on any trade. If he’d have any interest in a fresh start, there’s a case to be made for either situation:

• Tomlin has familiarity with Tepper from when he was a Steelers minority owner and he’s shown he’s willing to give his head coaches roster control as well
• Tomlin’s also a VA native and the idea of being apart of a new beginning in Washington (rebuild with roster control, new stadium and potentially new name) could be intriguing

If they’d ever look into a trade, this offseason would be the one with a year remaining on the contract, like you said.

Obviously Tomlin would have to sign-off on any trade. If he’d have any interest in a fresh start, there’s a case to be made for either situation:

• Tomlin has familiarity with Tepper from when he was a Steelers minority owner and he’s shown he’s willing to give his head coaches roster control as well
• Tomlin’s also a VA native and the idea of being apart of a new beginning in Washington (rebuild with roster control, new stadium and potentially new name) could be intriguing

If they’d ever look into a trade, this offseason would be the one with a year remaining on the contract, like you said.
Do the Commanders (funny I had to backspace quite a few letters, I started typing the R word) have a new stadium in the works?

Not sure on the above but I did just hear there’s a good chance the capitals and Wizards may be moving out of DC to new digs in Alexandria.

Do the Commanders (funny I had to backspace quite a few letters, I started typing the R word) have a new stadium in the works?

Not sure on the above but I did just hear there’s a good chance the capitals and Wizards may be moving out of DC to new digs in Alexandria.
Their new owner said back in September that talks will begin soon with all three of the DMV on a new stadium. It seems like legitimate negotiations were put on pause until Snyder sold the team. From what I’ve read, the current favorite is a new stadium on the RFK site.

Word is Reich wanted stroud and Tepper forced him to take Young

Word is Reich wanted stroud and Tepper forced him to take Young
Not surprising. Even though Tepper keeps saying that everyone wanted Young, there’s a video of a few Carolina coaches talking with Stroud after his Pro Day and they were conversing as if he’d be taken first overall.

So how exactly is the lack of leadership Ben's fault again? And how did Johnson learn that from Le'Veon Bell when he never played with Bell? I'm not quite following.

Because as the future Hall of Fame quarterback he was supposed to be the leader of the team, and instead he cared a lot more about himself than his teammates. And when other players saw that the HOFer didn't care all that much about the team, it gave them "cover" to act the same way.

You act like these leadership problems just started. They started a long time ago. "The standard" that got carried down wasn't the standard of the 70s Stillers, or even the early 00 Stillers. The standard that got carried down came in large part from the guy who was supposed to be the leader, who couldn't lead a boy scout troop out of the woods with a map, a compass, and a trained guide to help him.

Do you really think that the Stillers leadership problems just started this year? Or last year?

If so, that means that you weren't really paying attention.

I’ll throw another name that would make sense - Atlanta Falcons. Tomlin’s daughter is going to be a gymnast at UGA and it would move him closer to her and provide him a fresh start.

Because as the future Hall of Fame quarterback he was supposed to be the leader of the team, and instead he cared a lot more about himself than his teammates. And when other players saw that the HOFer didn't care all that much about the team, it gave them "cover" to act the same way.

You act like these leadership problems just started. They started a long time ago. "The standard" that got carried down wasn't the standard of the 70s Stillers, or even the early 00 Stillers. The standard that got carried down came in large part from the guy who was supposed to be the leader, who couldn't lead a boy scout troop out of the woods with a map, a compass, and a trained guide to help him.

Do you really think that the Stillers leadership problems just started this year? Or last year?

You’re right it stated around 2007

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I’ll throw another name that would make sense - Atlanta Falcons. Tomlin’s daughter is going to be a gymnast at UGA and it would move him closer to her and provide him a fresh start.
That’s a good one as well. I’m not sure they can justify retaining Arthur Smith past this season. Plus, unlike the other two teams, their QB situation seems much less certain if he wishes to mold a franchise how he sees fit.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I’m a huge Big Ben fan, but the “old guard” from the 2000s Steelers had concerns about his leadership from the beginning between the motorcycle incident and the sexual assault allegations. Plus, how many “my buddy told me” stories did we hear about him?

You're moving the sticks. You blamed him for the current guys on this team. Ben was teammates with one current offensive starter for more than a year.

If you truly believe this is the case, my friend, you’re either not watching the games or have the games on in the background while you’re cooking in the kitchen.

As I mentioned, for this year, yeah they stink. Everything listed by you and Wolf are symptoms of bad team.

Pitt admin emulating the Steelers is laughable bro. Seems you're the one not paying attention.

Yes
That’s the GM’s job based on salary cap control
Welcome to the NFL
come on, the HC has been part of the draft and roster management for decades, in all franchises. IT's why cowher and donahoe fought and he ended up leaving. no clue when it started but it's been going on for decades.

to believe that tomlin isnt part of roster, draft days, player evaluations and Free Agent signings is foolish. now i agree with you, He shouldnt, AT ALL, be near it. I wouldnt even let him into the war room on draft day, just give him a vacation, tell him to take the family to the bahamas and we'll call you once it's over..

That's what they should do but you know they wont.

Reactions: pittdan77
George Pickens giving his usual efforts

Thankfully, I did not watch the game.

That play/effort was absolutely pathetic. I wonder what they say to players during film studies. I do like the little hop Pickens gave to avoid getting hit by the tackler.

This is a bad football team. It has no semblance of an identity. The coaches are severely lacking and the players more so.

come on, the HC has been part of the draft and roster management for decades, in all franchises. IT's why cowher and donahoe fought and he ended up leaving. no clue when it started but it's been going on for decades.

to believe that tomlin isnt part of roster, draft days, player evaluations and Free Agent signings is foolish. now i agree with you, He shouldnt, AT ALL, be near it. I wouldnt even let him into the war room on draft day, just give him a vacation, tell him to take the family to the bahamas and we'll call you once it's over..

Yeah, if a coach who has been here for a decade and a half isn't part of the personnel decisions then it's an even bigger issue.

Reactions: pittbb80 and PittAU
hopefully Khan the accountant can gracefully relinquish all roster control for him and rebuild this roster without tomlin's interference. a tall task for sure.

We need to start building up the trenches. I watch these other quarterbacks stand there and drink a cup of tea, sign an autograph, and then hit a receiver downfield.

I think we're so much farther away from being a good team than even our record would indicate. Like we were ahead of Buffalo a few weeks ago. Buffalo's ceiling is getting hot and winning the Super Bowl. Our ceiling was sneaking into a wildcard and lulling half the globe to sleep in a 16-9 loss.

We need to start building up the trenches. I watch these other quarterbacks stand there and drink a cup of tea, sign an autograph, and then hit a receiver downfield.

I think we're so much farther away from being a good team than even our record would indicate. Like we were ahead of Buffalo a few weeks ago. Buffalo's ceiling is getting hot and winning the Super Bowl. Our ceiling was sneaking into a wildcard and lulling half the globe to sleep in a 16-9 loss.
our roster has so many holes i dont even know were to begin. leave the qb position aside for a sec..

We have no Left tackle, i mean pretty much a top 3 most important position in football. we have no one, not with Broderick entrenched on the right side now.

we basically need 2 starting wrs but we have dionte and pickens still for '24 and cant do anything with them so yeah, that's not good..

inside linebackers is a mess, absolute mess. still need another CB, a good NT, a center, a Tight end if Mt. Washington doesnt dramatically improve..

Just way too much to expect to fill in one off season..

Historic Tomlin

Some people here have mentioned how historic it is that Tomlin has never had a losing record. Well, not only is he about to break his historic streak, but here are some more historic facts about Tomlin's tenure:

- Steelers have not finished behind the Browns since 1989. They are currently 2 games behind the Browns with 3 left to play.
- Steelers have gone 5 straight games scoring under 20 points. It's their longest such streak since 1969. Worst Steelers offense in more than 50 years.
- For the sixth straight year, the Steelers have had a three game losing streak. That only happened one other time in franchise history, 1933-1941.

The Steelers have the Bengals, @Seahawks, and @Ravens left on the schedule. Probably their best chance for a win is if the Ravens clinch and sit everyone in Week 18, plus Kenny comes back. Personally I think they go 0-3. This team has absolutely quit on Tomlin, and they weren't that good to begin with.

our roster has so many holes i dont even know were to begin. leave the qb position aside for a sec..

We have no Left tackle, i mean pretty much a top 3 most important position in football. we have no one, not with Broderick entrenched on the right side now.

we basically need 2 starting wrs but we have dionte and pickens still for '24 and cant do anything with them so yeah, that's not good..

inside linebackers is a mess, absolute mess. still need another CB, a good NT, a center, a Tight end if Mt. Washington doesnt dramatically improve..

Just way too much to expect to fill in one off season..

I don't want to go off on another one of my rants about how many offensive linemen we drafted in the first 3 rounds between 1992 and 2012 vs how many we've taken since, but that's the reason for all of this. Look at Cleveland: 4th string QB and missing the best running back in the league (arguably), and they're still making it happen. Granted, I don't see them as a true threat to win anything, so maybe I'm contradicting myself a bit... but I think they would be with a better QB and receiving corps.

But who was the last good offensive lineman we drafted before B. Jones (hopefully)? I guess you could argue Dotson, but he got into Mikey T's doggie house. So, who? Freaking DeCastro maybe?

And then on the d-line we did have some bad luck with Tuitt. Before that, you're going back to Hargrave I think.

I don't want to go off on another one of my rants about how many offensive linemen we drafted in the first 3 rounds between 1992 and 2012 vs how many we've taken since, but that's the reason for all of this. Look at Cleveland: 4th string QB and missing the best running back in the league (arguably), and they're still making it happen. Granted, I don't see them as a true threat to win anything, so maybe I'm contradicting myself a bit... but I think they would be with a better QB and receiving corps.

But who was the last good offensive lineman we drafted before B. Jones (hopefully)? I guess you could argue Dotson, but he got into Mikey T's doggie house. So, who? Freaking DeCastro maybe?

And then on the d-line we did have some bad luck with Tuitt. Before that, you're going back to Hargrave I think.
Any franchise that takes a RB in the first round when they don't have anything resembling a pro o-line (in a draft that many believe is the deepest o-line draft in ages) is lost. That's partly why I don't think the organization can fix this. They don't really see themselves as being that far away from winning something.

We can officially put the myth that the steelers draft wrs well to bed, that myth is debunked and it angers me when anyone says it and believes it..

Last edited:
Any franchise that takes a RB in the first round when they don't have anything resembling a pro o-line (in a draft that many believe is the deepest o-line draft in ages) is lost. That's partly why I don't think the organization can fix this. They don't really see themselves as being that far away from winning something.

Yeah, that was 100% to go all in on Big Ben's final hoorah. Freaking luxury picks by a team that needed to be in total rebuild mode.

That Washington pick is looking bad this year also, because he's basically Gentry... if even that. Could have been a center or something.

We can officially put the myth that the steelers draft wrs well to bed, that myth is debunked and it angers me when anyone says it and believes it..

They had a good run with them in the Young Money Era (Wallace, Sanders, and Brown). Since then, I think they've mostly been getting credit for guys who flashed some things but ultimately couldn't put together complete careers. Martavis Bryant, Sammy Coates, Markus Wheaton, Diontae Johnson, George Pickens.... those guys come with some asterisks, for sure. And that's not even counting the misses, like Chase Claypool and James Washington (not going as far back as Limus Sweed and Troy Edwards, cause obviously every team has misses).

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

logic and a simple google search will tell you that the HC plays a significant role if not the final decision maker in ALL roster decisions including the draft The dude is the face of the franchise generally makes more than the Gm and is responsible for developing the player and making. All the parts work together. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise

logic and a simple google search will tell you that the HC plays a significant role if not the final decision maker in ALL roster decisions including the draft The dude is the face of the franchise generally makes more than the Gm and is responsible for developing the player and making. All the parts work together. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise
i'd be curious to know when this started. again, not a tomlin thing as Cowher was always fighting for more control.. I'd love to know if Noll worked with Art Jr in the 70s or if there was someone else involved.

Im sure Dan played a big part in the draft back in the glory days. I think Art JR was doing player personnel back then, not sure if there was someone else too.

There’s not a good qb in the league who doesn’t have a really good ol Even Jackson as mobile has he is needs good protection. It takes time to go through progressions

Then You need wrs who don’t take plays off and know how to get open The Steelers come up short in both of those areas

RBs are a dime a dozen. Warren is proof of that. The top offenses have really good OLs and multiple threats at wr. Of course you need a good qb but even the best qbs can’t do much without talent on the OL and wr. (See Herbert ) He’ll look how much better Goff has gotten since they’ve loaded up on talent at wr

Last edited:
i'd be curious to know when this started. again, not a tomlin thing as Cowher was always fighting for more control.. I'd love to know if Noll worked with Art Jr in the 70s or if there was someone else involved.

Im sure Dan played a big part in the draft back in the glory days. I think Art JR was doing player personnel back then, not sure if there was someone else too.
I think the HC has always been involved They have to be. The question. Is when did HCs begin to have more power in the decisions. Well that was likely when their salaries went through the roof

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT