ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a stadium thread...

Well, not really. Just figured I would get Souf and Co. all hot and bothered.
I recently had to drive through Cincinnati, and I must say, the Bearcats 40,000 seat stadium is fantastic. It made me sad because I know it’s a pipe dream here at Pitt. And it’s part of the reason being a Pitt fan is so tough, the misery would be bearable if it were in our own stadium. The financial argument just doesn’t hold weight, although the space issue definitely does.

These are one in the same....

The financial argument just doesn’t hold weight, although the space issue definitely does.

Well, more so now and in the future. Pitt could have obtained the space over the previous 2 decades for a fraction of the cost. They didn't. The end.

I recently had to drive through Cincinnati, and I must say, the Bearcats 40,000 seat stadium is fantastic. It made me sad because I know it’s a pipe dream here at Pitt. And it’s part of the reason being a Pitt fan is so tough, the misery would be bearable if it were in our own stadium. The financial argument just doesn’t hold weight, although the space issue definitely does.

40,000 is exactly what we should strive for if we ever build one. It cracks me up to read how many people say we need a 55,000-seat stadium or something. No way. 40k is perfect.

40,000 is exactly what we should strive for if we ever build one. It cracks me up to read how many people say we need a 55,000-seat stadium or something. No way. 40k is perfect.
40k is to low. 48-52k. you have 85% capacity of a 50k stadium, it looks really good still visually. no track though, have the stands right on the field.

40k is to low. 48-52k. you have 85% capacity of a 50k stadium, it looks really good still visually. no track though, have the stands right on the field.

40,000 is what Pitt needs to avoid causing super spreader situations with higher capacity stadiums. Yep, HF is dangerous, so now Pitt HAS to build a new stadium. That's what's I'm going with!

40,000 is the way to go. Less people are going to sporting events now than ever. Make it look great and a fun experience.

40,000 is the way to go. Less people are going to sporting events now than ever. Make it look great and a fun experience.
well that would be a way to create a demand, that's for sure. economics 101. after students take what? 7500, you have about 30k+ for general public.. you'd lose alot of older fans that dont want to drive into oakland but i think you'd replace them with younger fans that arent scared of not being home 20 minutes after the game is over..

well that would be a way to create a demand, that's for sure. economics 101. after students take what? 7500, you have about 30k+ for general public.. you'd lose alot of older fans that dont want to drive into oakland but i think you'd replace them with younger fans that arent scared of not being home 20 minutes after the game is over..

Most big programs have traffic before and after games. Some places are pretty bad, yet people go anyway. If that's a "fan's" gripe, then stay home.

Reactions: IntrospectiveYinzer
Most big programs have traffic before and after games. Some places are pretty bad, yet people go anyway. If that's a "fan's" gripe, then stay home.
well you know us yinzers, we need to be home and on our couch no longer than 20 minutes after the game is over. or if possible, we leave early to "beat the traffic." It's pretty much Heinz Field's biggest and only appeal..

Reactions: Saboteur II
2 things:

- interest rates will never be lower

- MLS is going crazy with expansion. I have said a million times that a joint Pitt/MLS stadium should be explored.

My guess is that an MLS team (which isn't coming) would play at HF and tarp the upper decks, like Seattle.

My guess is that an MLS team (which isn't coming) would play at HF and tarp the upper decks, like Seattle.

The MLS would never approve an expansion team to play in a stadium like that unless it had the downsizing technology like ATL. A 40K seat stadium with some tarping is pushing it but they could sell it to MLS that they can get 30K-40K for big games/USMNT games.

Watching Pitt and Syracuse from Pitt Stadium in 1979. Dan Marino, Hugh Green. Three years after the National Championship. Pitt was 6-1 and No. 12 at the time, and ended up No. 7. Sunny with temps in the 40s. The attendance? 43,000. Marino's first start.

It is in a really tight spot too. Tucked into and between buildings. Cool place.
Somehow someway Pittsburgh has 400,000 fewer residents than it did in 1960, but any attempt to build something new creates a "congestion" issue.
I think it goes back to the old adage that when people have less to fight for they fight harder.
I would love a stadium that draws crowds 6 or 7 days out of 365.
But I'm one of these people who doesn't expect or wait for the perfect situation.

It is in a really tight spot too. Tucked into and between buildings. Cool place.
Somehow someway Pittsburgh has 400,000 fewer residents than it did in 1960, but any attempt to build something new creates a "congestion" issue.
I think it goes back to the old adage that when people have less to fight for they fight harder.
I would love a stadium that draws crowds 6 or 7 days out of 365.
But I'm one of these people who doesn't expect or wait for the perfect situation.
In all seriousness, if Pitt does ever put one in Oakland, it will be smushed somewhere too.

Reactions: Saboteur II
There is still space available.

pitt-stadium-col.jpg

decreasing the supply of something does not increase the demand for it.

Reactions: boseman7
Hazelwood Green. Book it!
This was always my utopian dream. I know land is privately owned and won’t happen but in my world, a stadium with the open end facing the river would have been sweet.

please don’t tell me the million reasons why it can’t happen, I know already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT