ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a stadium thread...

Is anything actually in Hazelwood Green yet.
It’s been like 20 years and I honestly don’t think they have yet to land a for profit investor. An Uber track and promises to cmu start ups to build robots.

think they are renovating an old facility to try and attract investors. They really are dragging their feet with this site. It shouldn’t take two decades to find someone that wants to be here.

South Oakland Corridor. Put it on the corner of Bates and Blvd of The Allies. That whole area needs an upgrade and it could provide a nice connection between University and Park. We already have a hotel across the street that could be upgraded. If it could could extend to over looking the river then there could be a view of cathedral from one end and view of practice facility, river and southside from the other end

It’s been like 20 years and I honestly don’t think they have yet to land a for profit investor. An Uber track and promises to cmu start ups to build robots.

think they are renovating an old facility to try and attract investors. They really are dragging their feet with this site. It shouldn’t take two decades to find someone that wants to be here.

Seems pretty clear that nobody actually wants to locate their facility/business there. They probably take one look at the bottlenecks in the area and say no f'n way. This is where poor transportation for decades hire the city. But... We have a tunnel for the Steelers, so it's all good I guess

Reactions: e-fresh
I like to imagine the possibilities as well. Of the last five college football stadiums constructed with 40,000 or more capacity, which design concept would you like the best for Pitt?

Canvas Stadium-Colorado State (41,000)
Opened in 2017
Cost: $220 million
CSU-Aerial_NE.jpg

TDECU Stadium-Houston (40,000)
Opened in 2014
Cost: $128 million

4---TDECU-WEb.jpg

McLane Stadium-Baylor (45,140)
Opened in 2014
Cost: $266 million

mclanestadium.jpg

TFC Bank Stadium-Minnesota
Opened in 2009
Cost: $288.5 million

image_handler.aspx

Bounce House-UCF (45,301)
Opened in 2007
Cost: $55 million

BHNS_Aerial_2007.jpg

I saw a mock up of a stadium that would sit in the Hill District adjacent to Cost Fields. Great view of the skyline but I question some of the traffic issues.

40k screams MAC. No less than 48k.

I've said many times, the VA spot is perfect

Wake Forest only seats 31,500, and it's not bad. Duke is 40, although it's just a little raggedy in general. I've always said 42-45, but then I thought about declining attendance and whatnot. Regardless of what they announce attendance at (I know they've toggled between tickets sold and people physically present throughout the years), you can just tell that there aren't as many people going to the games now as there were ten years ago. I mean we could put in 75k for certain ND, WV, and PSU games. I just don't think they should build it with that in mind. The Pete is way too big. It was completely fine when we were one of the best teams in the country, but now it's just half empty most of the time.

Reactions: e-fresh
In my scenario, pitt extends their campus onto hazelwood project land and builds a tram system up the hollow and we tailgate on boats that are docked on river pre and post game.

like I said, it’s my utopian world.

That would basically be like WVU where their stadium isnt on the main campus but some separate tract of land with a few dorms, connected by that monorail.

Yea
That would basically be like WVU where their stadium isnt on the main campus but some separate tract of land with a few dorms, connected by that monorail.
h, dumb idea. Just build the damn thing off the Blvd of allies and be fine with it. Couple eyesore buildings there you could buy out and demolish.

A 50,000 seat stadium with suites/boxes and a spacious press box would be ideal for a new Pitt Stadium. It should be on campus gives that college feel. Alumni get to walk around the campus. Of course consistent winning can take care of that and draw bigger crowds at Heinz Field. As far as traffic, there are only 6 or 7 home football games the traffic never bothered me. The parking could be improved. Old Pitt stadium needed a press box badly and they never attempted to replace it. Especially in the era of Dorsett and Marino. The best thing at Pitt stadium was the announcer he was a good one.

Seems pretty clear that nobody actually wants to locate their facility/business there. They probably take one look at the bottlenecks in the area and say no f'n way. This is where poor transportation for decades hire the city. But... We have a tunnel for the Steelers, so it's all good I guess
They will throw millions into studies all of which will sit and gather dust just like the gazillion other studies. Pittsburgh is the most studied least acted upon city in the US. Everyone with a brain cell knows that property is worthless without sufficient roads...but facts don't matter when making money isn't necessary.

I saw a mock up of a stadium that would sit in the Hill District adjacent to Cost Fields. Great view of the skyline but I question some of the traffic issues.
6 times a year over the span of 365 days does not an issue make.... except Yinzerburgh.

The Houston Stadium would work. If I hit the Powerball the damn thing will be built and named Pierre's Pitt Palace! 😂😂

You’ve got a footprint for a 40k multi purpose venue on the land occupied by the OC lot and Cost Center. You could also raise the Pete. There are about 7 potential locations in Oakland. All with various pros and cons.

If Pitt is willing to debt finance Victory Heights, it could finance this project. And you would give the volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics teams new homes with a MPC. Along with hockey. Venue like stade Pierre mauroy with a retractable roof and hydraulic field. Home to more than one program. High degree of functionality and year round usage. Virus and green certified.

Bring in a guy like Wanny to help raise public and private donations. Kick off a five year fundraising campaign. You could probably raise a conservative $250 million with the remains of the cost financed via debt and upfront monies for naming rights and other things.

There also might be federal dollars available under a biden infrastructure initiative. Start with ingress and egress into Oakland.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
would it be possible to build a stadium on the side of the hill between where the fraternity houses are and Eberly hall? The view looking at the Cathedral would be incredible.

The idea being that you would knock down the fraternity houses and also take the PITT basketball outdoor courts as well for the project.

would it be possible to build a stadium on the side of the hill between where the fraternity houses are and Eberly hall? The view looking at the Cathedral would be incredible.

The idea being that you would knock down the fraternity houses and also take the PITT basketball outdoor courts as well for the project.

Maybe, but they've already started on the new Rec center in that area.

What's more important, an on-campus stadium or a Pitt-only football stadium?

What's more important, an on-campus stadium or a Pitt-only football stadium?
A multi purpose venue. Why build a single purpose stadium that will only be used for 6 games per year? That’s a waste of money. Will never pay for itself. So Build a home for multiple programs. But Pitt has never viewed a MPC as a revenue engine and ultimate cost saver. They have no business acumen. They’d rather just raid the general fund each year of millions to subsidize a mediocre sports department. Stealing millions to finish dead last in the directors cup among P5 schools. What a great roi.

A multi purpose venue. Why build a single purpose stadium that will only be used for 6 games per year? That’s a waste of money. Will never pay for itself. So Build a home for multiple programs. But Pitt has never viewed a MPC as a revenue engine and ultimate cost saver. They have no business acumen. They’d rather just raid the general fund each year of millions to subsidize a mediocre sports department. Stealing millions to finish dead last in the directors cup among P5 schools. What a great roi.

If you're talking about football/basketball you'd probably get a cheap dome. It'd be ok for football and awful for basketball. Add in track and then it downgrades to bad for football. Now if it's football/soccer/baseball, that would work.

You seriously think this stadium is awful? I think it's one of the top 5 in the NFL.

And that's exactly what you get. If you make a stadium that is good for football it is going to be an abomination for baseball. And I don't even think it's possible to make a good baseball stadium that could convert into anything approaching a good football stadium. What makes a good stadium for one is just too different from what makes a good stadium for the other for it to ever work well.

College baseball at Pitt will never have that many fans to require the additional expense of a multi-use stadium. Hell I dont even know if its worth turning the lights on in the stadium for soccer games which wouldn't require a complete transformation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT