ADVERTISEMENT

Any news of Cameron Johnson's sitting out if transferring to an ACC

imajericho

Freshman
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
Team is being waived or not? People on the UNC board seem optimistic this is being waived for Johnson to join UNC and are citing rumors from Pitt boards and so on.

I can't see that ever possibly being allowed to happen. Do any of you have any insight?

Team is being waived or not? People on the UNC board seem optimistic this is being waived for Johnson to join UNC and are citing rumors from Pitt boards and so on.

I can't see that ever possibly being allowed to happen. Do any of you have any insight?

Cam is a good kid leaving for a good reason. I'd let him go to UNC with an agreement to have him sit vs us. Roy and Stallings are boys so maybe it'll happen.

Cam wants to go to unc he's talking to Stallings this weekend.

If it isn't waived he will go to Zona.

I am of the opinion Pitt shouldn't waive it but I'm not totally compelled.

With Stallings in charge & booted out people, I'd think he would stop him from being able to immediately play at an ACC school.

I feel like if Stallings lets him go to UNC with no restriction then people are going to flip about him doing Williams a favor at his own expense.

I can't see it being allowed to go through.

UNC board seems to think it will though.

I feel like if Stallings lets him go to UNC with no restriction then people are going to flip about him doing Williams a favor at his own expense.

So Stallings blocks Jeter from going to a school that he doesn't play, but is going to allow a player to transfer to a school that he does play? Makes no sense.

So Stallings blocks Jeter from going to a school that he doesn't play, but is going to allow a player to transfer to a school that he does play? Makes no sense.
Stallings has a lot of ties to Williams. Son plays/ed baseball at UNC. Was assistant to Roy. Etc.

That's why I think it would be seen as collusion if he let him.

Reactions: Crimmins27
I am usually of the opinion that as long as they follow the rules guys should be able to transfer to where ever they want, but if Pitt has the ability to block Johnson from going to UNC they damn well better do it.

Make him leave the dam ACC or have to sit out a year.

Highly doubt he'd wanna sit tho when he can easily play immediately.

This will be Stallings Waterloo.

If he lets his best player go to a rival, he has lost any chance with the fan base.
You think? I guess I don't see this decision as any tipping point for fans. Cam leaving at all was more of an issue. For me personally I think it would be a bad look, but it wouldn't anger me if he allows Cam to transfer to UNC.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
If there's a pattern to this kind of stuff, it's this: whatever the fans want usually doesn't happen. Look how long that it took - and the changes that had to be made - to get Script Pitt back, and that one should've been a no-brainer.

Cam is a good kid leaving for a good reason. I'd let him go to UNC with an agreement to have him sit vs us. Roy and Stallings are boys so maybe it'll happen.
LMAO. The $hit you come up with.

Can you provide one previous example of an arrangement like that anywhere, at any time in the entire history of college basketball?

Not gonna happen. It doesn't happen anywhere else, and it isn't going to happen here.

Not gonna happen. It doesn't happen anywhere else, and it isn't going to happen here.

What doesn't happen anywhere else? The sitting when you play another team, if that is what you mean, then I agree.

If you mean allowing a student athlete to transfer, you are wrong. UNC allowed TJ Thorpe to transfer to UVa and play immediately, he started for them. Alabama allowed Maurice Smith to transfer to Georgia and play immediately.

UNC board also believes that the UNC athletes went to class the last 25 years and the basketball team was not involved in the fake classes scam. So take it with a grain of salt.

Pitt would be the dumbest people on the planet to allow him to go to unc.
Pitt cannot prevent him from going there. If he really wants to go there, then he could fight to play next year. At worst - he would sit out the year and have 1 year of eligibility to play while being on 'ship.

Pitt reiterates the ACC stipulation remains in effect. Jay Bilas Seth Greenberg and Seth Davis are tearing Pitt a new one on twitter.

This is almost laughable. Does Bilas really think that Coach K would let someone transfer down the road?
No. Lol. Or vice versa. I can't see why Pitt would allow it either.

I see the one argument. He graduated from Pitt and fulfilled his obligation.

But on the otherhand it is like lol that team plays against us.

Cam Johnson's 1st choice WAS UK. Then Knox committed. So Arizona became his 1st choice if Rawle Alkins left. Until UNC called. UNC became his 1st choice if waiver was waived.

Now waiver is not waives. Rawle Alkins has returned. Knox is at UK. I have no idea where he lands now.

I like how the national media said almost nothing (at least I heard nothing) when stallings wouldn't let Jeter transfer home to Pitt. But holy hell if you don't bend over backwards and change the rules to cater to a blue blood you are wronging the kid. Nothing against cam but seriously, what is wrong with Kentucky or Arizona?

Stallings job is to put the Pitt basketball program in the best position to win as many games as possible. How exactly does letting a kid bypass a rule to play for another team in your conference do that? Big, bad stallings with his swearing and "mean" demeanor does not need to cave on this just so some people don't think he's a total d**k.

It is absolutely ridiculous that people like jay bilas are serious. He's an analyst for espn, an NCAA puppet. It all comes down to that he seriously believes the blue blood schools should be able to do whatever they want and the NCAA should just look the other way, and in cases like this other schools should just roll over and die. I will almost always side with the players, but I can not feel bad for cam when he has the choice of basically any school in America outside of the ACC and the mostly mediocre programs on our non-conference schedule this season.

I like how the national media said almost nothing (at least I heard nothing) when stallings wouldn't let Jeter transfer home to Pitt. But holy hell if you don't bend over backwards and change the rules to cater to a blue blood you are wronging the kid. Nothing against cam but seriously, what is wrong with Kentucky or Arizona?

Stallings job is to put the Pitt basketball program in the best position to win as many games as possible. How exactly does letting a kid bypass a rule to play for another team in your conference do that? Big, bad stallings with his swearing and "mean" demeanor does not need to cave on this just so some people don't think he's a total d**k.

It is absolutely ridiculous that people like jay bilas are serious. He's an analyst for espn, an NCAA puppet. It all comes down to that he seriously believes the blue blood schools should be able to do whatever they want and the NCAA should just look the other way, and in cases like this other schools should just roll over and die. I will almost always side with the players, but I can not feel bad for cam when he has the choice of basically any school in America outside of the ACC and the mostly mediocre programs on our non-conference schedule this season.
Bilas needs hits to his twitter and has to justify his existence in the off season. Isn't it odd that he has been nowhere near as vocal about the abuses at UNC? I know he is a Duke guy, but logic doesn't change its spots...unless it is Vilas style logic...which is more commonly known as "situational ethics".

Reactions: Pittx9
True but he attended on PITT's dime. He can read so maybe UNC is looking for a BB tutor?
Sorry...had to do it

No. Lol. Or vice versa. I can't see why Pitt would allow it either.

But on the otherhand it is like lol that team plays against us.

Cam Johnson's 1st choice WAS UK. Then Knox committed. So Arizona became his 1st choice if Rawle Alkins left. Until UNC called. UNC became his 1st choice if waiver was waived.

Now waiver is not waives. Rawle Alkins has returned. Knox is at UK. I have no idea where he lands now.

Bilas hates the NCAA FWIW

I don't blame Cam for leaving and I don't think he owes Pitt anything but I do believe that he should have avoided the ACC in his search for a new school. By all accounts he knew Pitt would block and went ahead with attempting to transfer to UNC anyways. What was the expected outcome aside from making Pitt look bad?

As for the tools in the media bashing Pitt, they should direct their ire elsewhere. Pitt would be foolish to make an exception to the rule for Cam. If they let Cam go, what happens in a few years if another kid wants to go to Syracuse?

Cam and his father knew the rules and their putting this on KS and Pitt is wrong . He's a good college bb player , but he's not going to go into most elite programs and be the man . He owes Pitt nothing , he owes KS nothing , but making them look bad because schools like Ky and Az don't need him is on him . Go to TCU Cam , Jamie was the only coach at a major program that gave you a chance .

Last edited:
With all the fuss over this, you'd think this guy is an All-American level player.

he's not--not by a long shot. He's a good shooter with good length on the wing. Nothing more.

The fans out there that think Cam is their team's make-or-break are sure to be disappointed.

If he goes to a UK, he might get 18-20 mins/game.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Bilas needs hits to his twitter and has to justify his existence in the off season. Isn't it odd that he has been nowhere near as vocal about the abuses at UNC? I know he is a Duke guy, but logic doesn't change its spots...unless it is Vilas style logic...which is more commonly known as "situational ethics".
Is Bilas issue with Pitt not giving the exception, or with transfer rule in general?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT