ADVERTISEMENT

Any news of Cameron Johnson's sitting out if transferring to an ACC

No way you release him to play for any conference opponent... or known OOC opponent either for that matter.

He has other similarly excellent options outside the ACC. He'll be just fine.

That's the norm, and Pitt has stop imposing above and beyond levels of sanctions on itself.

As far as "bad pub", that warrants a chuckle. First, this would pale in compare to the awful pub this program has gotten every day for like 400 continuous days now. And in sports, the WORST pub is losing because you don't give a sheet, aka, quitting. And this would be a prime example of not giving a sheet.

I don't care much either way. I do think the NCAA should have a set rule and not allow individual institutions to control it. However, it sounds like his options are dwindling quickly and Arizona and UK are now full, so if it isn't UNC, I wonder where he will end up.

No way you release him to play for any conference opponent... or known OOC opponent either for that matter.

He has other similarly excellent options outside the ACC. He'll be just fine.

That's the norm, and Pitt has stop imposing above and beyond levels of sanctions on itself.

As far as "bad pub", that warrants a chuckle. First, this would pale in compare to the awful pub this program has gotten every day for like 400 continuous days now. And in sports, the WORST pub is losing because you don't give a sheet, aka, quitting. And this would be a prime example of not giving a sheet.

There have been over a dozen sportswriters who have written scathing articles aimed at Pitt and Kevin Stallings. With every one of those articles being tweeted to potential Pitt recruits, AAU clubs, and recruiting sites. You KNOW that coaches recruiting against Pitt will use this like a club: "See what the Pitt athletic department and coaches will do to you? They don't care about you at all".

Maybe all of that doesn't bother you, but the rumor is Cam and his family are willing to go much further, and drag this out even longer. Possibly even taking Pitt to court over this. Good luck recruiting and fund raising with all of this bad publicity, that you don't care about, going on.

You might win the battle...

There have been over a dozen sportswriters who have written scathing articles aimed at Pitt and Kevin Stallings. With every one of those articles being tweeted to potential Pitt recruits, AAU clubs, and recruiting sites. You KNOW that coaches recruiting against Pitt will use this like a club: "See what the Pitt athletic department and coaches will do to you? They don't care about you at all".

Maybe all of that doesn't bother you, but the rumor is Cam and his family are willing to go much further, and drag this out even longer. Possibly even taking Pitt to court over this. Good luck recruiting and fund raising with all of this bad publicity, that you don't care about, going on.

Fund raising? You think it would be easier to fund raise if Pitt let their best player suit up for an in conference foe and scorch them? You think Pitt fans who were going to donate are not going to donate because Pitt WOULDN'T let UNC rape them for their best player?

He has absolutely 0 connection UNC and they are an opponent. What is his reasoning? Upon what grounds would he win a court case?

It would be foolish, if even possible, for him to sue. Again, I think this transfer attempt is disrespectful if Pitt indeed told him they would block the ACC. Its bad enough that his loss severely hampers our team next year. If he wants it bad enough why not sit out the year, get stronger, and make himself an even bigger NBA prospect? He needs a lot of work to develop a well rounded game.

Reactions: H2P-2007
It would be foolish, if even possible, for him to sue. Again, I think this transfer attempt is disrespectful if Pitt indeed told him they would block the ACC. Its bad enough that his loss severely hampers our team next year. If he wants it bad enough why not sit out the year, get stronger, and make himself an even bigger NBA prospect? He needs a lot of work to develop a well rounded game.

He's already sat a year so I believe he loses a year of eligibility if he sits out next season. My guess here is the family believes he'll need 2 years of competition to be ready for the next level or perhaps he just wants to play 4 years of college ball.

I suspect Swofford will pull together Williams and Stallings into the room at some point to try to come up with something to save face here before it gets to that. UNC fans don't care about anybody other than UNC, which I understand, and Bilas and his friends only care about Duke, UNC, and maybe a few other blue bloods as directed by ESPN, so Pitt with its lousy coaching situation was easy prey and well-played by all parties.

My prediction BTW is you'll end up with Cam in the end though. It'll prove bad for college basketball but that's what will happen.

Pitt needs to stand strong . He can play at every university in the country with the exception of teams in the ACC . If he wants to play in the ACC he could've stayed at Pitt !
I think time will show that he's nothing but a decent college bb player , remember he was a third yr sophmore , a future NBA guy is dominating the college game by then .
Watch the NBA playoffs does anyone really see him playing at that level ?

I just wonder what could Pitt legally do if Cam just enrolls at UNC anyways and tries to play. He is already graduated from Pitt. What penalty could they really enforce on him?

I guess they would have the NCAA do it for them. I dunno.

This was all a smear campaign in the first place, which is ridiculous because when Cam said he was transferring he knew the situation.

Pitt isn't stopping him from going to UNC, just from playing ball for them next year. He is welcome to sit a year if he likes UNC that much. If he doesn't like UNC that much, then its not worth Pitt waiving the year anyway.

Mod, you've been more than patient, but time to flush these chunks of excrement down the commode...

This was all a smear campaign in the first place, which is ridiculous because when Cam said he was transferring he knew the situation.

Pitt isn't stopping him from going to UNC, just from playing ball for them next year. He is welcome to sit a year if he likes UNC that much. If he doesn't like UNC that much, then its not worth Pitt waiving the year anyway.
Pitt will lose that appeal, they cannot stop his transfer.

They can make it difficult, and look bad as a result, but cam can play anywhere he wants and there is nothing pitt can do to stop him

Where are these rumours of a lawsuit coming from? I only see it as a suggestion on a UNC board. I think Cam would be foolish to go that route.

I just wonder what could Pitt legally do if Cam just enrolls at UNC anyways and tries to play. He is already graduated from Pitt. What penalty could they really enforce on him?

I guess they would have the NCAA do it for them. I dunno.
He can enroll and even be on scholarship, but he just couldn't play for a year.

Pitt will lose that appeal, they cannot stop his transfer.

They can make it difficult, and look bad as a result, but cam can play anywhere he wants and there is nothing pitt can do to stop him
Actually, Pitt is well within the rules and rights to leave the restriction on. Pitt would most definitely not lose any appeal because they most definitely can stop his transfer. The only way Pitt lets Johnson play immediately at UNC is if they cave to public pressure or they agree to a deal with the ACC/UNC, but they do not have to do either and they can enforce any guidelines they want.

He can enroll and even be on scholarship, but he just couldn't play for a year.

Actually, Pitt is well within the rules and rights to leave the restriction on. Pitt would most definitely not lose any appeal because they most definitely can stop his transfer. The only way Pitt lets Johnson play immediately at UNC is if they cave to public pressure or they agree to a deal with the ACC/UNC, but they do not have to do either and they can enforce any guidelines they want.
They really aren't.
Not by either NCAA nor acc rules

They really aren't.
Not by either NCAA nor acc rules
There is no NCAA or ACC rule mandating Pitt release him at all. The ONLY difference between this and a regular transfer is the NCAA/ACC doesn't specifically say the player is ineligible to compete at a new school. It is a scholarship agreement and there is no rule, which forbids Pitt (or any other school or conference) from having rules about their scholarship release. They can control the athletes for one year of scholarship renewal and so they can place ANY stipulation they want on that. It is their contract and their rules. There is nothing in place that supersedes Pitt's control of the player. The non-graduate transfer 1st year ineligibility rule is an ADDITIONAL rule by the NCAA (and there are some by individual conferences) on top of the power held by the schools to enforce their scholarship agreement.

This is not hard. You are dead wrong. You know you are dead wrong because you can't point to ANY reason you are right.

I hate Stallings and think he is killing our program, but being an ignoramous about everything to try to trash him and the program (even when clearly, 100% wrong) is pretty over the top.

Please (re)post the rule which denies Pitt's rights as the scholarship holder to impose stipulations on players for whom they are renewing scholarships.

You mean other than cam no longer being on scholarship at Pitt as a graduate.

Annually renewable is a two way street.
Annually renewable is not a two way street IF he wants to continue in the same division as a scholarship athlete.

You are 100% incorrect.

Annually renewable is not a two way street IF he wants to continue in the same division as a scholarship athlete.

You are 100% incorrect.

So, you say. Guess we'll find out.
On one hand we have the NCAA rules, ACC bylaws, and precedent of grad transfer being immediately eligible in the acc historically.

On the other we have a nebulous scholarship agreement .

My money is on cam and the former.
Wish him well.

Last edited:
Does Roy Williams respect Stallings? We've read before that Williams was Stallings mentor, by the way things are going, looks like Williams has a different opinion.

Reactions: eastender2
So, you say. Guess we'll find out.
On one hand we have the NCAA rules, ACC bylaws, and precedent of grad transfer being immediately eligible in the acc historically.

On the other we have a nebulous scholarship agreement .

My money is on cam and the former.
Wish him well.
It is pretty obvious you have no contract or legal experience.

This isn't apples to apples, but:
1. The USA does not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21.
2. The State of Pennsylvania does not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21.
3. Just because the USA and PA do not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21, that does not stop a judge from making consumption of alcohol a prohibited action as the terms of someone's parole.

I won't be surprised if Pitt relents, but they are well within their rights to enforce their stipulations on Cam. That is clear. If the ACC or NCAA want to change that, they can, but that isn't the way it is now and it has certainly happened many times over including with a Duke football transfer this year.

It is pretty obvious you have no contract or legal experience.

This isn't apples to apples, but:
1. The USA does not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21.
2. The State of Pennsylvania does not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21.
3. Just because the USA and PA do not prohibit the consumption of alcohol for people over 21, that does not stop a judge from making consumption of alcohol a prohibited action as the terms of someone's parole.

I won't be surprised if Pitt relents, but they are well within their rights to enforce their stipulations on Cam. That is clear. If the ACC or NCAA want to change that, they can, but that isn't the way it is now and it has certainly happened many times over including with a Duke football transfer this year.
Distinction:
This is not a legal or contract issue, it's an internal policy issue for Pitt. Their own statements specify it- which is why your nebulous scholarship agreement is meaningless.

Pitt's internal policy isn't enforceable to an outside arbiter.
Once it moves outside of internal policy, games over for pitt.

That pitt tried initially and failed to even restrict his communications in conference tells you everything.

And yes, I've had experience in this type of matter.

Last edited:
Distinction:
This is not a legal or contract issue, it's an internal policy issue for Pitt.

Once it moves outside of internal policy, games over for pitt.
No, it is not. You fundamentally do not understand this issue. He has a scholarship agreement with Pitt and is bound by that agreement. Pitt's internal policy only comes into play in whether they want to waive the terms of that agreement. In this instances their policy is to waive the term that he cannot accept another scholarship, but to continue to enforce the term that he is not allowed to be an eligible player for that year of control they have. They cannot enforce that agreement for more than one year, as long as Cam exhausts that one year, as something other than a Pitt scholarship athlete.

Pitt could say Cam Johnson could go ANYWHERE except UNC and be immediately eligible to be a participating scholarship player, if they wanted.

Reactions: persp
No, it is not. You fundamentally do not understand this issue. He has a scholarship agreement with Pitt and is bound by that agreement. Pitt's internal policy only comes into play in whether they want to waive the terms of that agreement. In this instances their policy is to waive the term that he cannot accept another scholarship, but to continue to enforce the term that he is not allowed to be an eligible player for that year of control they have. They cannot enforce that agreement for more than one year, as long as Cam exhausts that one year, as something other than a Pitt scholarship athlete.

Pitt could say Cam Johnson could go ANYWHERE except UNC and be immediately eligible to be a participating scholarship player, if they wanted.
Let's delve in, then.
This is ONLY a pitt internal policy.
They have no cover either from the ACC nor NCAA.

Saban tried to do the same thing with a qb who transferred to Georgia, even with SEC rules in his favor.
Want to guess how that ended, once the sec made it clear they won't enforce the rule and take the pr hit??

Same way this will.
Same will it will for Sirk at Duke if he wants to play in the acc.

Pitt has no standing, which is why they are trying to mitigate the pr damage , already by negotiating.

In typical pitt manner, it's a half effort poorly done.

Pitt's internal appeals process (where organizations always protect the shield) is a far different animal than an outside appeal- if cam wants to pursue it.

Pitt's play here is obvious... try to delay and hope cam takes the path of least resistance. There is no winning for them.

Last edited:
Let's delve in, then.
This is ONLY a pitt internal policy.
They have no cover either from the ACC nor NCAA.

Saban tried to do the same thing with a qb who transferred to Georgia, even with SEC rules in his favor.
Want to guess how that ended, once the sec made it clear they won't enforce the rule and take the pr hit??

Same way this will.
Same will it will for Sirk at Duke if he wants to play in the acc.

Pitt has no standing, which is why they are trying to mitigate the pr damage , already by negotiating.

In typical pitt manner, it's a half effort poorly done.

Pitt's internal appeals process (where organizations always protect the shield) is a far different animal than an outside appeal- if cam wants to pursue it.

Pitt's play here is obvious... try to delay and hope cam takes the path of least resistance. There is no winning for them.
You are 100% wrong, still.

That was a CB and the SEC actually had a rule against graduate transfers being immediately eligible. Ultimately the SEC waived its own rule and Saban relented on the release. However Alabama was absolutely allowed to stand firm and not release him.

Pitt has complete standing here. The ACC has no rule or authority on this. This is completely an institutional decision. The individual conferences and NCAA do not have rules for or against scholarship release. They only determine eligibility to compete.

Who do you think Cam Johnson can appeal to?

Pitt is in complete control and neither the ACC, nor NCAA has standing to over rule them. There is no doubt they wouldn't even try to if they could because the precedent it would set would be an avalanche they don't want to deal with. The only way anyone other than Pitt will even have a say in this is if UNC (not the media) makes a big enough stink with the ACC that the ACC commissioner tries to have them settle. Still, Pitt has every right and standing to not relent.

I'm not sure anyone has ever been so steadfastly wrong about something on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: persp
I don't even like Bilas, but I am not sure how you can interpret it that way, if you know his problem is with any transfer restrictions and not the destination prominence.
Maybe it's just me but I look at it differently if it's a situation where the kid wants to transfer within the conference. I just don't get how anyone could seriously rip into the kid's former school for that. Like I said earlier, stallings job is to do what's best for Pitt basketball. It would be absolutely moronic to feed the competition just because some people think it's morally right to not place any restrictions on the kid.

You're right about bias and what his issues with this topic are, I just can not believe he seriously can't see why Pitt will probably not budge on this. If you're stallings there are numerous reasons to not allow this, there is not one single reason he should. Looking at it from his perspective it's actually hilarious that anybody thinks he should even remotely consider this even for one second.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but my stance on this is that stallings is Pitt's basketball coach and not some NCAA academic advisor. If cam wants to leave you wish him the best and move on, you absolutely do not bend over backwards and screw yourself over though. The day kids are allowed to transfer to another school in conference that freely, the NCAA will then be a 3 or 4 tier minor league system.

Maybe it's just me but I look at it differently if it's a situation where the kid wants to transfer within the conference. I just don't get how anyone could seriously rip into the kid's former school for that. Like I said earlier, stallings job is to do what's best for Pitt basketball. It would be absolutely moronic to feed the competition just because some people think it's morally right to not place any restrictions on the kid.

You're right about bias and what his issues with this topic are, I just can not believe he seriously can't see why Pitt will probably not budge on this. If you're stallings there are numerous reasons to not allow this, there is not one single reason he should. Looking at it from his perspective it's actually hilarious that anybody thinks he should even remotely consider this even for one second.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but my stance on this is that stallings is Pitt's basketball coach and not some NCAA academic advisor. If cam wants to leave you wish him the best and move on, you absolutely do not bend over backwards and screw yourself over though. The day kids are allowed to transfer to another school in conference that freely, the NCAA will then be a 3 or 4 tier minor league system.
Sorry, I don't agree. The NCAA doesn't give a flying f**k about "the kids" and that is the problem. The coaches move wherever and whenever they want.

Although it is Pitt's decision and they should fight (if it really comes down to it, I am sure they will relent) Cam going to UUC, but they shouldn't be allowed to do that. Unless coaches/schools are going to be held to their contracts then kids shouldn't be held either.

Sorry, I don't agree. The NCAA doesn't give a flying f**k about "the kids" and that is the problem. The coaches move wherever and whenever they want.

Although it is Pitt's decision and they should fight (if it really comes down to it, I am sure they will relent) Cam going to UUC, but they shouldn't be allowed to do that. Unless coaches/schools are going to be held to their contracts then kids shouldn't be held either.
And I would agree with you 99% of the time. In the case of Jeter, I don't think stallings should've even been able to do that. Not because it involved Pitt, that's just the first scenario that came to mind. Pitt was in a different conference, was not on vanderbilt's schedule, there was literally no reason for him to not be allowed to come here with no troubles.

Maybe one day they will become more lax with the transfer rules. Before that though I would actually like to see them not allow coaches to leave and take a job in the same conference without sitting out, whether it be a year or the whole remainder of their current contract. Your angle on kids vs. coaches and how coaches can just get up and leave I totally agree with.

It was wrong when wannstedt did it to Flacco.
It's immoral to do it to a graduate.

Pitt deserves every single ounce of negative press it gets

Immoral... LOL. He can go to hundreds of other schools. They explained the restrictions when he was granted his release, and gave him his release. Yet, rather than being grateful he decided to make an issue out of it. I will be very disappointing if Pitt relents.

If it was BC instead of UNC, nobody in the national media would care. Roy Williams can go screw himself.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Cam should be permitted to go wherever he wants to go, ACC school or not, UNC or not. He graduated from Pitt and that's the end of his responsibility to Pitt as a student or athlete. This nonsense where some douchebag coach like Stallings is trying to limit his options is also interfering with his academic options. That takes precedence.

I really don't see where blocking him from attending any school he wants, especially since he already graduated, can be considered even remotely ethical or the right thing to do. Athletics is secondary. But ethical and Stallings don't belong in the same sentence.

Cam should be permitted to go wherever he wants to go, ACC school or not, UNC or not. He graduated from Pitt and that's the end of his responsibility to Pitt as a student or athlete. This nonsense where some douchebag coach like Stallings is trying to limit his options is also interfering with his academic options. That takes precedence.

I really don't see where blocking him from attending any school he wants, especially since he already graduated, can be considered even remotely ethical or the right thing to do. Athletics is secondary. But ethical and Stallings don't belong in the same sentence.
Yes I'm sure the main reason for his transferring is of academic concern . Like all other transfers he can go to UNC , but he'll have to sit out a yr . Blaming KS is BS you don't let your best player go to a team your going to play . Hating on KS for this shows your objectivity ( hatred ) towards him is over the top . Cam can choose from 100's of fine academic institutions this is on him .

Last edited:
Yes I'm sure the main reason for his transferring is of academic concern . Like all other transfers he can go to UNC , but he'll have to sit out a yr . Blaming KS is BS you don't let your best player go to a team your going to play . Hating on KS for this shows your objectivity ( hatred ) towards him is over the top . Cam can choose from 100's of fine academic institutions this is on him .

BS. You don't limit a kid's options to attend any school no matter where it is if he has already graduated. Even if he hasn't, this is bulls$%t the way coaches and schools try to limit where a kid can transfer. I don't give a rat's ass if Stallings or any coach is trying to not have the kid come back and bite them in the ass by playing for an opposing team. If that's the way Stallings feels, he needs to learn how to be a better coach. That's on him, not Cam. But this strategy is typical of lower tier coaches and coaches who know they are incompetent but won't admit it.

This nonsense it totally, 100% on Stallings. And for graduate school, academics does become critical. For any of these players, academics should be important, especially since 99.9% of them won't be playing basketball beyond college and will need an education to get a real job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT